• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 411 Views, 23 Comments

Monsters in the forest - Voltsthevoltvolts



Duskshire is a small town surround by acres of forest, the town guard tries its best to keep back the wildlife, monsters and undead that constantly try and destroy the small town.

  • ...
 23
 411

An unexpected encounter

"So, you called and I answered. What is on your mind little one?" The shadowy figured calmly asked. A slate gray unicorn mare with a dark hairstyle with the odd gray highlight stepped into the light, her cutie mark was a half moon that was slanted sideways with two stars above it to resembled a cryptic smile.

"Eh?" Ivy tilted her head, she had never seen this pony before. "Who are you?" Ivy curiously asked.

"A hunter." The mare stated. "I have just recently started hunting in this section of the forest, I was hiding in the treeline..." The mare circled Ivy. "Until you came along."

"Oh..." Ivy lowered her head. "I didn't know..."

"I Didn't expect to be found, its not your fault." The mare hide a slight smirk. "And besides, I have already feasted today."

"Wait a minute..." Ivy promptly said. "If your a hunter and I disturbed you..." Ivy slowly processed what the mare had said. "Were you eating meat!?" Ivy yelped loudly.

"To an extent... I require a certain... Thing from animals..." The mare evilly chuckled. "Or anything that is alive..."

Ivy shuddered slightly before putting on a brave face. "Are you a zombie? Do you eat brains!?" Ivy excitedly asked. "Can you say bbbbbrrrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnnsss?"

The mare laughed heartily. "I am not a zombie little one. However you are not far off."

"Aw... I wanted you to be a zombie..." Ivy sighed and slumped on the floor. "I know that's bad but... I really wanted you to be a zombie." Ivy giggled gleefully. The mare sighed and sat down beside her, gently brushing up against Ivy. "Burrrr... You're cold!" Ivy remarked as she felt the cold fur of the other mare gently brush against her. "You'll catch a cold!"

"I'm alright, I guess you could say I am used to the cold." The mare rolled her eyes.

Ivy suddenly ducked behind the mare and started shaking madly. "Sh.-Sh..Shhh...Sha!" Ivy stuttered.

"What's the matter? Do you need to take medicine?" The mare hastily said, unaware of a shadow slowly creeping along the ground towards them.

"A shade! Look! On the floor!" Ivy pointed to the moving shadow. The small shadow stopped and a pony started to rise out from it. "A shade is an angry ghost..." Ivy started. "They don't like living things!" Ivy exclaimed. The shade fully emerged and began walking towards Ivy, who was slowly backing away. The shade walked past the mare, ignoring her completely.

The mare tried to blast the shade with magic, however it remained and continued walking."I can't stop it!" The mare shouted. "Run!" Ivy backed into a tree trunk. The shade closed in and Ivy clenched her eyes shut.

"Ahhhh!" Ivy painfully exclaimed as her eyes shot open, a grass green glow emanating from her eyes. Ivy's horn sparked with a golden energy and the clearing flash brightly. When the light settle down there was nothing left of the shade except a small pile of black ashes. "I did it!" Ivy's eyes returned to their normal state. "Phew that was close."

"Hm, impressive. Tell me, has any member of your family used white magic like that before?" The mare curiously asked as Ivy returned to her.

"Yes... My mother, but she died when a feral vampony attacked out village." Ivy sorrowfully sighed and sat down. "I don't know what that is... My dad won't tell me, he worries a lot about me."

"Then why did he let you out?" The mare angrily asked. "If he worries so much..."

"Stop!" Ivy shouted. "Hes a good dad, he knows I am safe... He trusts me... He also knows that I will run out when hes not looking." Ivy chuckled happily. "I normally stick to the path, but I saw flattened grass and here I am."

"So, curiosity got the better of you then?" The mare asked.

"Yes, I wondered off the path. But its alright! You're here! Another pony!" Ivy cheered happily. "I will just tell Dad I was with you!"

"No!" the mare interrupted. "You... Can't. I don't want anypony knowing I am here."

Ivy crossed her arms and huffed. "Fine! I won't tell anypony..." The unicorn gave Ivy a stern look. "Fine! I promise I won't tell anypony!" Ivy shouted. "Silly death stare..."

"Excuse me?" The unicorn mare quizzically asked. "Death stare?"

"Yeah, something my Dad does when I am not being truthful. He gives me the death stare and I have to promise and tell the truth, otherwise it will turn me to dust!" Ivy explained.

"I see, well as long as you don't tell anypony..." The mare sighed.

A silence descended on the clearing, Ivy occasionally tapped the ground with her hoof and inspected the ground. The other mare inspected the treeline and checked the bushes. "So, what's your name? I am Ivy, Ivy Shield!" Ivy happily announced, filling the small clearing with conversation again.

"Don't worry about my name, I don't plan on staying too long." The mare replied. Ivy shook her head and sighed. "Something the matter?"

"Well, I can't come back tomorrow if I don't know your name." Ivy gleefully chuckled. "I mean, I am going to come back. And if your not here and I get eaten..."

"Alright fine!" The mare snapped. Ivy giggled gleefully at the response she got, the mare noted the giggling filly. "Argh, fillies... Nothing but headaches!" The mare angrily declared.

"Awwww..." Ivy sighed, her plan had not worked. "Pleaseeeeeeesssssss!" Ivy pleaded. "I just want to know your name! That way we can be friends."

"I don't want friends! I want to be alone!" The mare angrily snapped causing Ivy to back away from her. "I'm... Sorry. I didn't mean to get angry. I just... I haven't spoken to anypony in a long time. In fact, I never expected to speak to another pony for the rest of my life..." Ivy remained silent. "I think... I will be moving on quicker then normal... I am sorry Ivy."

Author's Note:

Trying to keep the chapters short and relatively sweet.