• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 5,320 Views, 84 Comments

The Assembled Letters of Twilight Sparkle, Protégé of Emperor Discord - Caligari87



Emperor Discord sends his star pupil Twilight Sparkle to investigate a mysterious new phenomenon called "Friendship".

  • ...
14
 84
 5,320

Journal 1

Dear Diary,

Sorry I haven't

I’ve neglected to write in this journal for some time, but my emotions are confusing at the moment and I’m not sure

I visited the old castle again this week. Because it’s old, crumbing, and the route through the Everfree Forest is possibly dangerous, I asked Applejack to go with me in case anything happened. While we were walking, I broached the subject of Friendship with her.

She was surprisingly candid where the others had previously avoided my questions. She said that Friendship is their way of looking out for each other and staying together. I gently reminded her that Unity is against the spirit of Chaos, and she seemed uncomfortable, but admitted she doesn’t much care for the blessings of unpredictability Discord showers on our kingdom.

This surprised me. I reminded her that I was Discord’s personal student and asked if she was worried I might tell him about the conversation. She said she was, but that telling the truth was more important than what others might think of her. She also openly told me that she’s learned honesty is vital to cultivating Friendship and keeping Friends together.

I then asked if she considered me a Friend. After some hesitation she said she does, and that’s why she wants to be so honest with me. I’m not sure how I feel about this, but I find it flattering she is willing to be so welcoming to a student of Discord while following a philosophy which seems more and more to be in opposition to his teachings.

By this point we had arrived at the castle and entered the courtyard with the statues of the Day-Mare and Night-Mare. Nothing much had changed, although I noticed the statues were beginning to crack, more than might be expected from simple weathering. The whole place still seems outside the realm of Chaos; even a moderately powerful randomization spell did little more than turn a couple pebbles into various insects and writing implements.

Applejack agreed to show me the tree which seems to be the cause of this normalcy. We ventured through the castle dungeons into a cave system, and by spell-light from my horn managed to find the right passageways. When I asked Applejack how she found it in the first place, she said she’d been with Rarity, using a gem-finding spell. Chaos had not recently produced any source of gems, and Applejack needed more to sustain her pet dragon.

The tree is definitely not a product of Chaos. It is magical to a degree I’ve never felt before, and grows what appear to be very powerful channeling gems. Rarity said Applejack shouldn't feed these to her dragon because she doesn’t know how they will affect him. I explored the falloff of the magical field around the tree, and it does seem to correspond to the area unaffected by Discord’s influence. My own Chaos magic is unable to effect any change near the tree either.

At this point Applejack and I were both very tired and returned to town. It hailed peppermints on the way back; I thought they were delicious, but she kept sighing as if she was annoyed. I left her at the farm and returned to the library.

I’m becoming sure that Friendship is a force or magic rooted in Harmony, which puts it at odds with the teachings of Chaos. Ironically, I also feel more at home here than anywhere else in Discordia. I’ve never been someone’s Friend before, and I kind of like it. I know that’s my “natural mare” talking... Still, it feels right.

I’m too tired to write to Discord tonight, but I feel like I should tell I’m not sure if I’m going to tell him everything from today. I need to sleep on it.

Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

Trying a slightly different perspective for variety. Thoughts?