• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 5,319 Views, 84 Comments

The Assembled Letters of Twilight Sparkle, Protégé of Emperor Discord - Caligari87



Emperor Discord sends his star pupil Twilight Sparkle to investigate a mysterious new phenomenon called "Friendship".

  • ...
14
 84
 5,319

Journal 2

I can’t believe I lied to Disc No, it’s not a lie. I just left out a few unimportant details. Even so, I’ll bet Ap It doesn’t matter what Applejack would think. The key to being a good student of Chaos is being unpredictable, and always telling the truth is the exact opposite of unpredictable. Discord would probably be proud of me. Or not, I don’t know. I’m not sure why I’m getting so worked up over this.

Anyway, I wrote Discord about spending some time with Pinkie Pie. I left out that I actually tried to go to the castle with her after the lake dried up, but the coffee rain started while we were on our way into the Everfree Forest. It was just a little sprinkle at first, and then the downpour really began. We had to take shelter in a cave, and I scalded my hooves and left foreleg in a puddle of coffee, because I didn’t watch where I was trotting.

Pinkie found a cold pond deeper in the cave, thankfully. If not for that, my scald might have been a lot worse when we finally got home. As it was, we got stuck for several hours until there was a lull in the rain. At first, I was in a pretty sour mood, but Pinkie seemed to see that as a challenge. Pretty soon she had me crying with laughter. It felt good.

A little later, I asked why she wanted to get me to laugh. She told me that a smile or laugh is the best medicine she knows, and when a Friend is down or feeling badly, it’s important to help them feel better.

I wrote about that in my letter to Discord, but I left out how insanely dedicated Pinkie is to making ponies happy. And not just “ha ha, funny joke”, but actually genuinely happy. She literally considers it her entire purpose in life, and she’s 100% committed. Or should be committed It seems crazy, but I guess that’s okay.

This is so alien to me. Most ponies look out for just themselves. When we live every day unsure of even the ground under our feet, there’s little sense in doing much else. Somehow these Friends have discovered something else, and even more amazingly, they’re making it work.

I know I’ve dedicated my life to entropy, to never experience the same thing twice, to never be worn down by a daily grind, or sick of predictability. I’ve sworn to bring that Chaos far and wide, to smash the bounds of a boring “normal” life, but Pinkie seems dedicated to something better. How can I reconcile that?

Anyway, the coffee washed out our path through the forest, so the castle is a bust this week, but we were still smiling wide on the way back to Ponyville.

I really should smile more.

Twilight