• Published 31st Oct 2014
  • 2,183 Views, 46 Comments

My Final Decision - Sillyponyme



Sonata struggles with recent events

  • ...
13
 46
 2,183

A Day with Sonata

Pinkie Pie and the others headed straight for the hospital to speak with Sonata. The entire way there, the group had been talkative and then they reached the front steps. They looked between each other to see who would take the first step up. They could only assume one of two things would happen once they reached Sonata’s room. They would walk into the room and Sonata would refuse to talk, which seemed unlikely. She may not be talkative at the moment but she would definitely say something. It was more likely that Sonata would make things awkward somehow. It was also possible they would be told to leave by her.

They were only nervous because they weren’t sure what to say now. They had a plan and saying the wrong thing could ruin it. It also didn’t help that they felt like they were just using Sonata. They knew that they weren’t but it felt like it and if Sonata found out what they were doing, it would only make things harder than they already were. “Excuse me girls, are you five ok?” The five looked ahead to see one of the nurses with a worried look on her face. She was in the typical hospital attire but her hair was not visible. She must have had really short hair. Her eyes were an emerald green and she was very slim. She looked very young, probably in her early twenties.

“Oh, uh, yes were coming in and were just fine.” Rarity chuckled and started up the stairs. Applejack and Pinkie followed close behind and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash brought up the rear. “Thank you for the worry though.”

“We’re here to see Sonata if it’s ok.” Applejack said closing in on Rarity with every step.

The nurse nodded and led the group into the hospital. “Now I must tell you that she doesn’t want too many people or Sunset Shimmer in the room.” The girls looked to each other with painful expressions. Sonata really didn’t like Sunset, good thing she wasn’t there. If she had been, it would have been an awkward moment for sure. “This means only one of you at a time is allowed into her room. I only ask that no matter what, only one of you enter the room at a time out of respect for the patient. She is having a hard time right now.”

“But of course, only one at a time.” Rarity heard a collective “mhmm” from behind her. “Yes, we can imagine.”

“I don’t think you understand, I suppose that Sonata will tell you if she feels comfortable.” The nurse stopped at the door and frowned. “Remember, one at a time and you may be surprised at what you find.” With that said, the nurse left as she jotted down a few things on her clipboard. This left the girls a little worried.

“I will go first girls.” Rarity grabbed the handle and turned it. “Hopefully we won’t need more then just one of us in there.” She inhaled deeply and walked into the room. “Hello, Sonata?” Sonata had been looking out the window that had been barred up and Sonata looked as if she had tied to the bed. Nurse Redheart was in the room as well. She stood up and walked out of the room and reminded Rarity not too take long. Rarity nodded and continued toward the bed. “Sonata, what is going on here?”

Sonata looked at Rarity with her tear stained face. She looked horrible and from the looks of it, she was being force fed through wires. It seemed completely unnecessary. “Rarity, please help.” Rarity sat next to Sonata. “I don’t want to be alive anymore, why is that so wrong?”

Rarity was mortified at hearing that bit of news. Yes, she knew how Sonata felt from what Sunset had told them but seeing the room and hearing what Sonata just said was scary. Did the nurses really have to bar up the windows and force feed her through wires just to keep Sonata alive? “Sonata, why are the windows barred, why are you tied down and why are you being force fed?” Rarity wanted to help Sonata out but she had to know what was going on.

Sonata began to cry but spoke anyway. “The windows are barred because I tried to jump out the window. I’m tied to the bed so I couldn’t hurt myself, I’m being force fed because I can’t feed myself because they tied me down and they want to send me to a mental hospital.” Sonata screamed and shook violently. Rarity went into action and began hugging Sonata. It seemed to work, she stopped shaking.

“My friends and I, excluding Sunset, will do whatever we can to help you darling.” When the thought of what could have happened when they saw Sonata came to mind, this wasn’t one of the possibilities. “How about we spend the rest of the day at the mall with my friends and me?” Sonata looked up at Rarity and nodded. “Alright, let’s get you out of here then.”

“They won’t allow it.”

Rarity grabbed onto Sonata’s hand and smiled. “So what, and this is usually against my belief in obeying the law but we’ll break you out if we have to. You just have to promise us that you will stop trying to end your life. You’re in pain, I get it, but suicide isn’t a decision we want you to make. You need true friends to be there for you.”

Sonata didn’t see any other option. “Ok, I promise. Cross my heart and hope to die.”

Rarity cringed and decided to change the promise a little. “How about cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Sonata raised a confused eyebrow. “It’s a Pinkie Promise.”

“Ok, I suppose that is more fun to say. So cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Sonata chuckled a little at saying the silly promise.

“With us, you can have more fun things like that.” Sonata nodded. “Let me go speak with the nurse.” Rarity stood up and walked toward the door. When she stepped out, Nurse Redheart and the others were waiting. “Nurse Redheart, Sonata would like to go out and spend the day with us. I assure you that she won’t hurt herself. We will make sure of that.”

Nurse Redheart shook her head. “No, in a few hours, she will be taken away for professional help.”

After about ten minutes Rarity gave up and told Nurse Redheart they were leaving. As expected, Nurse Redheart walked back into the room. “So here is what we’re going to do. Sonata is being taken to a mental hospital and that will not do. Rainbow Dash and Applejack, I need you to knock out Nurse Redheart. Now usually I’m completely against something so barbaric but I can’t let Sonata waste away in some mental institution. I also can’t allow her to be force fed her whole life. It’s something that is sure to happen if she is taken away.” Rarity walked off and came back with some chloroform and a rag she had taken from on of the rooms. “Her you go, easy knock out.”

The others didn’t have time to object to the idea before Applejack had the chloroform and rag in her hands and Rarity was inside the room talking with Nurse Redheart. “Are we really going to do this?” AJ asked looking to the others. They shrugged and she face palmed herself and whispered. “I can’t believe were actually doing this.” She inhaled deep with one question in mind. ‘Why wasn’t Fluttershy saying anything?’

Fluttershy was frozen in place with confusion. She kept going over the plan in her head and the reasons for it. She was most definitely conflicted. “We should do this, the nurses are just trying to help but we can’t let Sonata be taken away when we can help her. This can’t be legal though but Sonata must want to leave so it’s not like we’re kidnapping her right? It’s still not right but neither is letting our possible friend be miserable.” She had spent so much time thinking, she hadn’t noticed the others start to leave.

“Fluttershy, come on!” Rainbow yelled

“Yes darling, you must focus.” Rarity said as she took a left turn toward the stairs. It was at that moment they bumped into another nurse. “Oh, hello.” It was the same nurse that had taken them to the room.

“Where are you going and who gave you permission to take Sonata out of her room? Don’t you bother answering; I want to know from Aaappllllleeejjjaaack, zzzzzz.” The nurse collapsed to the floor asleep after having powder fly into her face.

“Pinkie, why are you carrying around sleeping powder and why didn’t you tell us you had that?” Rainbow Dash asked as they continued down the stairs and toward the door.

“In case of a sleeping emergency and you didn’t ask.” Without further discussion, the group exit the hospital and ran to Pinkie Pies home before they took a breather.

Once they caught their breath, Applejack began to yell. “Why did that just happen?! Why did any of that just happen?!” The others pointed to Sonata who just cocked her head. “Really? And how did you manage to get the Chloroform anyway Rarity? There is no way they just gave it to you?”

“You see, there are more than just a couple knocked out nurses in the hospital.” Rarity chuckled nervously.

Applejack was about to yell again when she was grabbed into a big hug. “Oh thank you thank you thank you.” Sonata let go and smiled. “I don’t really know what to say.”

Applejack wasn’t happy about what just happened and she couldn’t believe it either but she saw Sonata give the biggest smile she had ever seen, it made her heart melt. “Don’t mention it; all you need are some friends to help you through. I’m pretty sure a mental hospital wouldn’t have helped you none anyway.”

“Hey, now that Sonata is free, lets go do something. Oh, I know, who is up for laser tag?” Rainbow Dash looked to Sonata since she would most likely be the deciding factor when their stomachs growled. “Maybe we should eat something first.”

“Right then, let’s go to the mall. I can get some shopping done and all of us can go to one of the food courts for lunch.” Rarity was already out the door and on her way.

“Now why on earth is Rarity deciding everything today?” Applejack asked heading for the door. “And why have we not been tracked down by the police or something. They must have found knocked out nurses in the hospital by now?”

“Um, I may know, about Rarity, not the police thing.” Fluttershy spoke up finally. “I think Rarity is just frightened. She probably doesn’t know what to do and so she does the first thing she can think of. We did take Sonata out of the hospital without permission.” Police cars were seen flying down the street with their sirens roaring. The group jumped behind a bush. “There are the police Applejack.”

“Come on everyone, let’s go to the mall.” Applejack shook her head. What had they done, how could they relax. The answer came when she looked at Sonata bouncing around and happy. Freeing her was the right thing to do even if it wasn’t for the right reasons or legal. AJ hoped more than anything that Sonata wouldn’t find out about the plan to befriend her. It would just cause problems.

Once everyone arrived at the mall, Sonata was asked something she had never been asked before. “So Sonata, what do you want to do?” Rarity asked.

“Oh, um, what does everyone else like?” The reply she received was not one Sonata expected. Everyone liked different or wanted to do different things. Sonata could have sworn that friends were supposed to like the same things. That’s how it was with Adagio and Aria and yet here were five friends that didn’t enjoy the same things. Sure Adagio, Aria, and her had different fashion choices and food choices but everything else was pretty much the same. Was it really possible? Could the five girls really be such good friends and like different activities? She would find out soon enough, it was just a matter of asking questions. “Well, how about I do a little bit of what everyone likes to do? Have a little one on one with all of you.” Sonata asked but received nervous glances. “I guess not, I wouldn’t trust me either.” She knew why they were nervous, a complete idiot could tell why. She was a siren, who would want to be alone with her.

“Oh Sugarcube, we didn’t mean to make you feel bad. Sure we can have one on one time with you. If we’re gonna be friends, we have to trust each other. So who do you want to go with first?” Applejack asked

“Thank you Applejack, I think for comfort sake, I’d like to go with you first.” Sonata smiled nervously and walked off with AJ.

As Applejack and Sonata turned the corner, AJ yelled back. “Don’t even think of following us Rainbow Dash.” With that said, they disappeared out of view. “So Sonata, have you ever played at the arcade before?”

“I never really did much of anything but hurt others since I got here.” Sonata frowned but a comforting hand was placed on her shoulder. It was so new to her; neither Adagio nor Aria ever tried anything like that. She couldn’t help but smile.

“I don’t mean to bring up any sore spots Sonata, but what you just said was more or less exactly what Sunset Shimmer said when she was defeated by us.” Applejack and Sonata walked into the arcade and stopped. “So Sonata, take us to a game and let’s play.”

Sonata pointed to a game that looked fun and ran over to it. She wasn’t sure what to think now. She was beginning to think that just maybe she could at least be nicer to Sunset. It was hard to imagine that one similarity could make Sonata change her thoughts on Sunset Shimmer but it had. If what Applejack said was true, then perhaps Sunset really was just trying to make friends. After all, Sonata had no idea how this friendship thing works and just maybe Sunset wasn’t sure either and really was just trying to help. “So Applejack, is it really possible that you and your friends actually like different things?”

“Darn tootin it’s possible. I don’t think we would be friends if we didn’t like different things or at least wouldn’t be much of friends. Our different likes and dislikes help us grow closer. We learn to understand each other. Sure our differences can cause some problems sometimes but they also keep us from being clones. Can you imagine what it would be like to have hundreds of the same person running around? Imagine Pinkie pie everywhere.” Applejack said as she stepped off the DDR pad the winner.

“I guess that makes sense, I’ll admit that even though our personalities are different, Adagio, Aria, and I felt like the same person a lot of the time.” Sonata thought back to the Battle of the Bands song and chuckled. “It’s ironic actually. Let’s just forget it and have some fun finally huh?”

The rest of the day went by with Sonata asking questions on friendship and doing whatever it was the others wanted to do. Rainbow Dash and her played laser tag. Rainbow Dash creamed her every time but Sonata learned something important, Rainbow hates to lose.

Rarity went shopping with Sonata and bought her some better clothes in Rarity’s opinion. Pinkie Pie and Sonata spent their time going around trying samples of treats around the mall and then it came to Fluttershy, the shyest person on earth. “So have you had fun today?”

“Yep, I never realized just how much fun it is to have real friends. So what are we gonna do?” Fluttershy pointed to the food court. “For realzies, that’s all. I thought it would have had something to do with animals.”

“Oh, well normally it would but it’s getting late and I’m getting hungry.” Fluttershy started toward the food court followed by Sonata. A T.V. was on and they heard something about the hospital. “Oh dear.”

The two looked up and saw Nurse Redheart on the news. “Her friends broke her out of the hospital by knocking me and my colleagues out. If she wants away so bad then let her but if she ever appears in this hospital again because of a suicide attempt, I will personal transport her to a mental hospital and possibly her friends too. They are all nuts.” With that said, Sonata and Fluttershy turned to each other and began laughing.

“We really are kind of nuts aren’t we?” Fluttershy took a seat at one of the tables.

Sonata sat down across from Fluttershy still laughing. “Yeah, but I guess it comes with being friends right?”

Fluttershy stopped laughing along with Sonata and smiled. “You know, if it weren’t for Sunset Shimmer, we wouldn’t have tried to be friends with you. What I mean is, Sunset tried so hard to be your friend. She really thought that you two could be and so I and the others decided that we should try to. You owe Sunset a lot. We wouldn’t be right here right now if not for her.”

Sonata looked away embarrassed and ashamed. The more she spoke with the others, the more she realized just how hard Sunset tried to be her friend. Now she finds out that her new friends are only her new friends because of Sunset. That thought just made her feel worse. She shook her head and smiled. “I guess I do, thank you Fluttershy.” Sonata received a small nod from her new friend. “So what do you want?”

“What do you want Sonata?”

Sonata turned her head around to look at the different restaurants before turning back around with a smile on her face. “Tacos! Tell me what you want and I’ll go get the food.” Fluttershy gave Sonata her order and watched as Sonata stood up to leave before getting bumped into. “Hey, why don’t you watch wh…ere you’re go…ing?” Sonata stopped and stared at the boy in front of her. His hair was dark and he had blue eyes and grey skin. His shirt had three four leaf clovers on it. “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be, it was my fault completely.” The boy stood up and looked very carefully at Sonata. “Hey, you’re the siren girl from battle of the bands right?” Sonata looked away sadly. “Hey, don’t look so down, my name is Lucky Clover by the way.” Sonata just waved to him. “Hey, come on, I know who you are but that doesn’t mean I don’t like you. You’re real pretty you know. Here, let me give you my number and you can call me.” Lucky wrote down his number and gave it to Sonata. “I have to go, I hope to hear from you. See ya.” With that, he ran off.

Sonata looked sadly at the piece of paper in her hand. “I think he really likes you. You should call him tomorrow and see what he is doing.” Fluttershy suggested.

“You really think he could actually like me after everything I did?” Sonata asked still staring at the paper in her hand.

“Of course I do Sonata; I really believe he likes you.” Sonata gave Fluttershy a big bear hug and went to order their food. Today ended off on a high note, that was for sure.

Author's Note:

This is by far the longest chapter I've ever done. I won't be updating until next year. :raritywink: I know but I couldn't resist saying that. Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone.