• Published 25th Sep 2014
  • 1,576 Views, 14 Comments

The Great Powers Within - PanzerAsp RD



A young man is awoken in a green pasture wondering who he is, and what his name is. He is found by someone no one would've expected.

  • ...
15
 14
 1,576

Chapter XIII: White Hot

It had been a week since I’d learned about what my sword could do. I had spent hours of my days trying to learn how to control the power. One day, I was in Twilight’s library trying to rebuild the bookshelves that had been destroyed in Chrysalis’ assault. I had all the books piled up in the corner of the room. After a long struggle trying to remake the shelves, I decided to scrap it all and buy new ones. I had some bits in my pocket from Celestia, but I wasn’t sure if it was enough for new shelves. I left the library, and went to a furnishings store. When I approached the desk the pony behind it gave me a scowl.

“We don’t serve non-ponies.” Said the clerk. I stared at him in disbelief.

“Look, sir, I just wanna buy new shelves. Y’know, to replace the shelves I used to save your hide, as well as every other pony’s that survived the Changelings.” I said coldly.

“My store, my rules.” was all the clerk said to me before kicking me out. I felt anger in my heart, as I left the store. I left the town quickly, and entered the Everfree Forest. I went deep into the trees, and once I decided I was far enough I drew my sword. The moment it left the sheath, my sword spit out red flames. I attacked a tree, bringing my blade into the side of it’s trunk. It left a large cut with a scorch mark surrounding it.

I had taken a fifth slash at the tree when I heard a slight crack from behind me. I made a sharp 360 and got ready to attack. I saw two bright yellow eyes pinning on me from the darkness. I lunged into the brush, driving my sword toward the spectator. I grabbed onto whatever I could, gripping what felt like a large pointed wooden ear. I felt myself being thrashed around as I laid on the back of the creature attacking me, keeping my grip tight. A flash of light from an opening in the trees led me to realize what I was on. I brought my sword immediately between the Timber Wolf’s shoulder-blades. It fell to the ground with a loud whimper. I climbed off it, and the wolf stared up at me with pleading eyes. I put my sword to the Timber Wolf’s throat and cut it open with one swift slice.

I walked further into the forest, not entirely knowing if it was the way back to Ponyville. I came to an opening in the trees and walked out. Before me stood the same tall black castle that I’d been in with Chrysalis. I started back into the forest, but stopped myself. I turned back to the castle and stared at it.

“Maybe…” I mumbled as I looked down at my sword. I began walking toward the tower, and once I’d reached the stairs, I hesitated. The doors flew open, and I dove to the side behind a large rock.

“We will be attacking them tomorrow morning, get the drones ready and prepared before then. I plan to completely annihilate that nuisance of a race.” Chrysalis’ voice was easily recognizable, but then another voice spoke.

“Yes, Queen Chrysalis.” It was a male’s voice, but who’s it was, I had no idea. I heard the doors shut, and I started to move out of my hiding place. I stepped out from behind the rock, and shock surged through me as I saw Chrysalis still standing at the door. Her face was one of complete bewilderment.

“Novy...you have returned to me?” She asked confusedly. I scoffed and held up my sword.

“Chrysalis, I heard the conversation you just had. If you want the ponies extinct, you’ll have to get through me.” I said boldly, challenging her. Her face morphed into one of annoyance. She took a step down the staircase.

“Novy, why do you fight for them? Why do you put their lives before your own?” She asked.

“I refuse to stand by and watch as you slaughter innocent ponies...not only that, but I also have a personal grudge against you.” I said, staring at her, my sword still in a defensive position.

“You know, Novy, it’s a shame that you couldn’t protect Twilight. Just like that little filly’s brother.” She said with a grin. As I heard her say this, I felt my sadness and anger mixing up, and exploding out of my body.

“ENOUGH!” I screamed as I lunged at the Queen. My sword ignited with, not red or blue, but white flames. I had clearly caught Chrysalis off guard, I tackled her and she flew into the sky. I held onto her tightly as the ground below us became smaller and smaller. I used all the strength I could possibly muster, and drove my sword across her ribs. Green blood spilled out of the wound, and I smelled burning skin as Chrysalis dropped out of the sky, headed toward the ground in a nose dive. I held onto her, thinking of what I should do. Suddenly, Changelings flooded out of the castle, hundreds of them surrounding the Queen and I, they slowed us down a lot, but we still hit the ground hard. Some of the Changelings had used their own bodies to cushion their queen and had been crushed. The moment I felt the landing I flew forward hitting the ground hard, and rolling sideways. I stood up and looked at the crash. There was blood on the ground mixed into the grass, and Changelings spread out all over the place.

“The human...kill him!” She shouted. The Changelings all flew toward me, and I ran into the forest. My heart pounded in my chest as I ran through the forest at full sprint. I could hear the Changelings behind me, I felt as though they were within an inch of me, and I ran faster. I dodged tree after tree, trying not to get hit by a branch. I jumped over a low hanging limb and took a sharp turn to the left. I ran as quickly as I could, trying to think of a plan. I couldn’t go to Ponyville with all these Changelings chasing me.

“I know what to do…” I said as I stopped running and turned to face the horde of Changelings closing in on me. I lifted my sword and ran at the Changelings, stabbing the first one I came to through the head. I sliced open another one along it’s side, and punched another one off to my right. I stabbed the Changeling I’d punched, and cut another one in half. I felt the constant raking of the Changeling’s claws along my body. My bandages were being torn, and scars were being reopened, but I continued killing Changeling after Changeling. My clothes and sword were soaked in green blood from the Changelings.

After what felt like forever, I was down to the last few Changelings. I felt tight in my chest, and was breathing heavily. One of the Changelings jumped at me and I drove my sword into its stomach, and the blade came out it’s back. I pushed the dead Changeling off my blade, and wiped the green blood off my hand. There were three changelings left now. I ran at them, kicking one on the cheek and immediately stabbing another one through the side. I pulled out my sword and stabbed the third Changeling, then stabbing the one that had been kicked.

“That was...tiring.” I said as I wiped some blood off my lip. I looked down at my clothes, they were soaked in blood, and torn all over. I began walking toward Ponyville, leaving the mass of dead Changelings for Chrysalis to discover. I walked into town, my sword secure in my sheath. I made my way to Rarity’s boutique, but what I saw made my heart sink. The doors had a sign hanging on it that read “Closed down for good.” I opened the doors and walked inside, the room was a mess, her supplies laying around on the floor.

“Rarity?” I yelled her name into the darkness, and listened.

“Yes?” I heard a quiet response that was almost inaudible. Though, I was tired and wanted to do nothing more than sleep, I made my way up the steps and into her room. She was laying on her bed under the covers, her hair was a mess, and her fur was messy. I sat down on the bed and looked at her.

“Rarity...you closed the boutique?” I said sadly.

“Well...it’s not exactly easy to make new designs when you’re constantly thinking of your sister...Oh, Sweetiebelle...I miss her, Novy. I keep thinking of all the ways I’d been mean to her, and I have all this regret inside me…” As she spoke tears filled her eyes and started running down her cheeks. I hugged her, and tried to comfort her.

“She knew that you loved her, Rarity. There was no doubt about that, instead of thinking about all the stuff you did wrong, try thinking of all the stuff you had fun doing with her.” I wasn’t sure if this was comforting, but it seemed to work because she calmed down and wiped her eyes.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right.” She said quietly.

“C’mon, tell me about something you had fun doing with Sweetiebelle.” I said.

“Well, there was this one time, Sweetiebelle wanted to help me sew a dress, but I didn’t want her to mess up a good one, so I got out an older dress, and told her to fix a hole in it. She sewed it perfectly, no issue. I was astounded, so I got another dress, and I had her fix another hole. She did a good fixing on the second one too. We spent at least three hours that day sewing and giving Sweetiebelle tips.” As she said this she would pause and laugh softly to herself, bring a smile to her face. “She wasn’t perfect, mind you, she also used my good fabric to patch a hole that didn’t even match the cloth on the dress.”

Once Rarity seemed to be feeling better, I decided now would be the time to ask.

“Rarity...if you haven’t noticed, I kinda messed up my clothes, could you maybe patch these up?” I asked nervously, feeling guilty at asking.

“Oh, heavens no! Those clothes are beyond their day, you need something new!” She said as she got off the bed.

“Are you sure, Rarity? I was just going to use these…” I said, feeling even more guilty.

“Think of it as a thanks for cheering me up, Novy.” She said, smiling. “You wait here for me to make the new ones, I think you’ll like the design I have in mind.” She left the room, leaving me alone.