• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 952 Views, 27 Comments

Revelations BOOK 1: A Night To Remember - Pipsqueak - VGI



Pipsqueak spends time with his favorite princess in a high-society event dedicated to Equestria's gryphon friends.

  • ...
2
 27
 952

Chapter 5: Pipsqueak - Intermission

Chapter 5: Pipsqueak

Intermission

Well, I must say, that was captivating. I thought that it would just be all music and stuff. But wow, I didn't expect music and acting and magical illusions! It really is a night to remember!

“Pipsqueak?”

Is somepony calling my name?

“Pip?”

*GASP!* Princess Luna! Snap out of it, Pip!

“Shall we have ourselves a bit of refreshments out in the foyer?”

I look around, and ponies are leaving for the foyer. Looking at this program, it says... “...Intermission.”
Right. But I must answer gallantly.

“Yes, Your Highness,” I say, bowing slightly.

“Oh Pip, you know I don't want formalities between us,” the Princess says as she laid a kiss on my forehead.

I walk beside my Princess towards the foyer. Some ponies seem to be staying put in the aisle and by their seats. Apparently they are having fellowship right there in the auditorium. Princess Celestia and Twilight are chatting with a gryphon delegate in the aisle, and there goes Princess Cadance escorted by her hubby Prince Shining Armor.

Standing just outside the theater doors, the foyer is before us. Smartly-dressed professional photographers are roaming among the guests in the foyer, taking pictures of those who want their pictures taken. Ponies and gryphons are posing and fixing their clothes and mane, then the photographers count and say, “Cheese!”

“Princess Luna?” Luna and I turn and see a photographer behind us. “Would you like a picture with your gentlecolt escort?”

Gentlecolt escort? M..me?…*blush*
I’m Princess Luna’s gentlecolt escort?

We stand in front of the photographer. I can’t help but smile.

“Smile!” he says.



Out here in the foyer again, it feels like the way it was when my Mum and I came in—full of fancy ponies and gryphons. Speaking of which, here comes my Mum now, bowing low to Princess Luna.

“Your Highness, I hope my son was good company.”

“Ah! Indeed he was, madam,” answers Princess Luna. She looks at me and nod once. “Your son is a fine gentlecolt.”

“I'm glad. Well then, I shall take my leave. Pip, take care of our Princess.”

I nod normally this time, not like some too-excited foal like I was before the show started.

This brochure thing—er, I mean program—says that there will be some performances during the intermission. Well, where is it? Oh well.

“Pip?”

I look up at Princess Luna; there is a unicorn waiter in front of us serving tiny “finger” food. What a funny name for a food. Is it made of fingers?

“What would you like to have, Pip?”

“I would...” play it smooth, Pip, “...I'll have whatever you're having, Princess.”

The waiter stallion smiles at me. “Excellent choice, sir.”

“Uh, Princess Luna...what's the point of eating such small bits of food and drinking drinks in such small glasses? No pony will ever be full with these.”

“Oh dear Pip, it’s not about getting full. It’s about taking in just enough so that you won't go hungry or thirsty throughout the show. You would not have to go to the bathroom during the show either because you didn't eat or drink that much.”

“Oh.” I look around. The Princess is right. Nopony is eating or drinking a lot. In fact, most are just talking and having fellowship. Maybe I shouldn't have too much juice and popcorn during movies. I just hate trying to hold it in till the end.

Suddenly, a growing silence.

Everypony notices the unicorn violinist and the harpist going to the center of the grand foyer. Is this the show for the intermission, then? Everypony is giving them room. For a moment, there is silence as everypony, and gryphon, listens to the harp being played by Lyra, who by the way is also from Ponyville. Her harp glows and its strings are plucked as she plays it with her magic.

Intermission:

Once there was a Unicorn Stallion who fell in love with an Earth Mare. In between their villages was a calm and peaceful forest. According to legend, they existed before the rule of the Two Sisters. However, their villages did not have animosity between them. And hence their love was free to grow, and they met regularly in the forest.

It started to rain. Nearby was a cave. They took refuge in it. When they woke up, the rain had stopped. As they stepped out, there was an earthquake. Boulders were quickly falling over the mouth of the cave. The Earth Mare, with all her earthly might, shoved her Unicorn Stallion out of the cave as the boulders came crashing down around her.

Through a gap between boulders, the Unicorn Stallion reached out for his beloved. She was still alive underneath rock and stone. She reached out and touched his hoof with hers.

He shot a flare high into the sky with his magic in an attempt to get help. Then he tried his magic to lift the boulders. But they were too heavy to levitate. He tried casting fireballs at the rocks, but it did nothing. Finally, in his anger he shot lighting at them, but it only scorched the unmoving rocks. As his anger turned into desperation, he reached out once more for his beloved through the gap in the cave. They touched hooves.

“You have to go on without me, my love,” his Earth Mare finally told him.

Help was quick to arrive from both villages...but not quick enough.

Played by unicorns Viola Violet on the violin, and Lyra Heartstrings on the harp.

Gosh, very majestic I have to say.

The violinist who is with her...let’s see here...her name is Viola Violet according to this brochure thing...is also a unicorn, and she too plays her instrument with her magic. Her violin and bow floats just beside her head, and both of them play like they are feeling the music. A few ponies politely resume their fellowship while many just listen.

Both of their faces are full of emotion. Neither of them are using their hooves to play their instruments, which they play with their magic.

I look up at Princess Luna. This music and being beside her...feels right. Feels right.

*****

The violinist leaves. And Ms. Lyra is left in the middle of the foyer...with not a pony anywhere near her. I'd be absolutely raked with embarrassment if I ever found myself in a place like that.

Then suddenly, the tile she is standing on rises up. Almost as high as the roof of the school house back home.

I look at Princess Luna...she's talking with some ponies.

Don't tell me Lyra is going to play up there. Gosh.

The Alliance is ultimately for the kingdoms that our children will have.

As they grow up and take over our roles, may they ever know the magic of friendship.

A harp solo by Lyra Heartstrings.

As she does, less ponies pay attention to her and instead have fellowship with each other. Huh, I guess this is what is called “background music” meant to just play in the background as ponies converse and mingle.

Learned that from school, too.

I take a few more of these “finger food”—I wonder why it’s not called “hoof food?”—as I accompany Princess Luna, just being beside her...

...ho-hum...

Oh gosh, that plucking of the short strings of the harp is making me sleepy. It is a bit near my bedtime...I can't...mustn't...fall asleep...

*****

*YAWN!*

“Heya Pipsqueak!”

GAH! That voice...

“Pinkie?”

“Eeyup! It’s me! Getting sleepy? You know, you're one of the few foals I've seen so far. And those foals are also getting sleepy! I guess it’s because it’s nearing their bedtimes. Is it nearing your bedtime too Pip?”

I nod. “Eeyup, *yawn* I'm getting all plumb tuckered...*yawn*...knackered...”

“If you're sleepy, you should drink this! It’s a honey berry shot! It'll give you energy! Don't worry, it’s not a drink that’s for grown-up ponies only, no sireely-doody! It’s only called a shot because it’s in these iiiiitty-bitty little glasses called a shot glass!”

I nod and listen as best I can...*yawn*.

Pinkie Pie continues, “Ah yes! The shot glass! Also called a dose, a nip, schnapsglas, a peg, sfinaki, צ'ייסר, short shot, or pony shot, depending on the kingdom of origin and measurement! For example, a pony shot is 28.41 ml or exactly 1 fluid ounce!”

I look up at Pinkie...or I think I am looking at her. Are my eyes open? My mouth certainly is.

“The sleepy foals I told you about had some and they're not sleepy anymore! Nope! No sir-ee! I, like, drank 5 and now I'm all Oh Look More Finger Food!”

Pinkie shoves a tiny glass of...something...honey berry shot? Onto my hooves and I see her practically assault a waitress carrying a tray of finger food and comes back to me.

“Jou dknow, Id drink dat nowf iff I wer you.” Pinkie tells me as she chews a mouthful of finger food and swallows. “The sooner you drink it, the sooner it'll hit 'cha! I wonder what real fingers taste like?!”

“Uh, k.*yawn*” And so I did. Boy, is this drink sweet and thick....oh....mY.......GOSH!

“So, you awake yet huh huh huh?”

I nod with power coursing through my veins. Blimey! What was in that drink?

“Oh, Princess Luna!” Pinkie exclaims as she bows low.

“Thank you, Pinkie, for keeping my Pip here company. And I see you have helped him stay awake. One drink only, Pip. You don't want to bounce off the walls like Ms. Pinkamena here. As for you, Ms. Pinkie, I believe you've had enough honey berry shots. One more and you might explode.”

I am definitely awake, and I will follow Princess Luna's advice. Looking at Pinkie Pie, she's barely holding off literally bouncing. Pinkie nods at the Princess quickly.

“Oh! Another sleepy foal! She needs my help. Excuse me Princess Luna, Pip.”

She bows low fast and dashes off. I can hear her say, “Hey there little filly! Getting sleepy...?”

Oh Ms. Pinkie, always fun and daffy that one.

With me awake again, I notice that Lyra is gone, and the tile she was raised upon has gone down to the floor.

“Come, Pip,” Princess Luna tells me, “it’s time to enjoy the Prince's surprise for Cadance.”

Luna then whispers into my ear, “She doesn't know anything about it, but she's in for a dance.”

What does my Princess mean, I wonder. Dance? As in “kick and prance” kind of dance? Huh. I check this program-brochure thing. It doesn't say anything after the harp solo...but what's this cutie mark of Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadance doing here? It doesn't have any description, just their cutie marks together and “xoxo”. Huh, wonder what “xoxo” means...

xoxo

Just then, I see Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight with Princess Cadance in between them at one end of the foyer, and...Spanish guitars are playing from somewhere? It sounds like magic because it’s coming from everywhere.

Prince Shining Armor is on the other end of the foyer, and ponies are giving him room. Everypony is watching...why is he looking at her like that? Like he's going to just gobble her up? Princess Cadance is absolutely blushing! Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight are moving away from her, leaving her there, and everypony around her is giving her room. She looks baffled and unsure. He's moving towards her...he's closing in!

This is...gosh and golly!

Aaand they dance. Not at all like kick and prance...more like gooey-mushy but with lots of turning and twirling and “Prince holding and carrying Princess” romantic dance. Spanish guitars...I look up to Princess Luna, and she is enjoying this.

My word. Prince Shining Armor's got guts of steel, I have to say. Well, Cadance is less blushing now that she's dancing and in the hooves of her hubby. Looking at them dance is nice...real nice. They look absolutely beautiful together.

There's my mom, with some of her old Trottingham friends. They're loving this.

Ponies and gryphons clop and stomp their hooves and clap their claws together and cheer when the Royal Couple finish dancing, and they finish dancing with a flourish! Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadance are surrounded by many ponies after the dance and they talk.

“...my word, your Highnesses, what a magnificent show...” says one pony, to which Princess Cadance replies, “I'm glad everypony liked it. I, for one, was not expecting to dance tonight...” She's catching her breath from all that dancing.

...I look around, and more talking. More fellowship. Oh well, I wonder where Pinkie Pie is...what am I saying?!?! I'm here with Princess Luna! Where is she?

Looking around, oh there she is! Whew! I have to stay alert and always be by her side. I am her escort by her request, for goodness sake!



But I'm no Prince Shining Armor. I definitely don't have his guts of steel. When I'm as old as the Prince, would I have what it takes to take the Night Princess to dance in the middle of a gathering of nobles and dignitaries like he did with the Princess of Love?

I...I don't think so. I'd be red with embarrassment.

Speaking of embarrassment, I'm glad I took a swig of that honey berry shot. At least I'm not dozing off on the floor. Now that would be embarrassing. Mum might even come and have to carry me around on her back. Yikes!

A few moments pass. Princess Luna is done talking to the ponies she's been conversing with. They bow low and move on. Finally!

“My dear Pip, do you see your mother?” Princess Luna asks me.

“I, uh...” I look around. “No. Why, Princess?” Oh I hope she's not giving me back yet. She said she'd borrow me 'till the end of the show.

“I just have to meet some ponies, and I'll come back and get you after.”

“Why can’t I just go with you, Princess? Promise I'll be good.” Oh I hope she takes me wherever it is she needs to go. I'll be a good escort, like a true royal guard! Or maybe even like a night guard!

I can see her thinking about it. I look around and still can't find Mum.

“Mmm, I'm afraid not, Pip. Ah! I know, I'll leave you with my sister and Twilight.”

Aww...how disappointing. Oh well, fine.

“Now now, Pip, it’s just for a little while. I'll be back for you, I promise.”

Okay. Knowing that my favorite Princess will come back for me feels nice.

We walk over to Princess Celestia and Twilight, who of course are with a bunch of pony-nobles.

“Sister, Twilight, may I leave my gentlecolt escort with you for a few moments?”

“Ah! Dear sister! Why...yes, of course,” Princess Celestia says while looking at me. “But, whatever for?”

“I just need to meet someponies.” Luna says, to which Princess Celestia nods.

Someponies? Who?

This feels a lot like a secret, don't you think so?

“Hello, Pipsqueak!” Twilight greets me. She looks quite fancy tonight, with her royal accessories. When she's in Ponyville, she isn't at all that fancy. In fact, if not for her horn and wings, she'd be pretty normal, like the unicorn she used to be. At least even as an alicorn, she's pretty much still the same Twilight.

“Hi, Princess,” I greet her back while taking a low bow.

“Oh Pip, no need to be so formal,” Twi tells me as she turns to Luna. “Why do you need us to watch over little Pip here, Luna?” Twilight asks.

“I just need to talk to a few ponies, that's all,” Princess Luna says. Looking at Princess Celestia and Twilight, they seem to understand as she walks away.

And I look on. Princess Luna walks to the far end of the foyer and out of view as she turns a corner to a corridor.

Twilight turns to me. “Sooo, Pipsqueak! How's your night as the Night Princess's gentlecolt escort?”

“Oh Twilight! I have been having the time of my life! It’s been real fun being Princess Luna's escort, and Pinkie came by and gave me a honey berry shot, and now I'm wide awake, ready for the other half of the show.”

But looking at the corner where Princess Luna disappeared to, I feel kind of left out. Still, I'm with Twilight and the Sun Princess now. Gosh, I have lots to tell my friends back home. This is just so awesome!

“Ah, yes, Pinkie,” says Twilight smiling while shaking her head, “I hope she did not have any more honey berry shots. I did see her helping sleepy foals like you stay awake.”

I look at Princess Celestia, who of course is indisposed, preoccupied, talking to a bunch of rich-looking ponies.

I turn away for only a moment, and now even Twilight is indisposed and preoccupied with a bunch of pony-nobles. Ho-hum...I wonder....

You think I can sneak off while Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight are talking with these ponies? Oooh, if I can pull that off, I'll have more stories to tell!

Okay...just be cool Pipsqueak. Walk away normal-like...that's it...if I can reach that group of ponies having fellowship over there, I'll be home free. Then I'll see where Princess Luna went off to!

Almost there...I did it! I'm out of view of Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight! Now I can walk faster.

*****

My gosh! I can't believe it! I actually reached the corridor where Princess Luna turned to! I wonder where she is? This is a pretty long corridor, with doors and other corridors on both sides.

I...don't feel good with what I am doing right now. Like I'm breaking Luna's trust, not to mention Princess Celestia's and Princess Twilight's. Oh...should I go back? But I really want to know where Princess Luna went off to. Who does she need to talk to that she needs to leave me behind?

No, I must trust her. She entrusted me to Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight, and there I must stay! And besides, what if she comes back and I am not with them? Oh, the show might resume and I'll be trying to find my way back and I won't be there to escort Princess Luna anymore. NO! I MUST GO BACK!

And so back I go.

“There you are, Pip!” Twilight says as I come trotting back. “Did you have to go somewhere?”

“Uhm, no. B-b-But I wanted to. Princess Twilight, where did Princess Luna go?”

Twilight looks at me, and I think she knows what I tried to do.

“You went off to try and follow her, didn't you?” she asks.

I nod.

“And you decided to come back instead?”

I nod again. I'm glad Princess Celestia is still indisposed. I’d rather talk to Twilight about this.

“Oh Pip,” Twilight says with a sympathetic smile, “she'll be back.”

“But Princess, she's sooooo mysterious. And this ‘meeting a pony somewhere in the building’ is just making her more mysterious.”

“I understand, Pip. And yes, she is mysterious. Probably the most mysterious of all the Princesses,” Twilight says as she and I look toward the corner where she disappeared. “But you have to trust her, Pip. And I'm glad you decided to come back. Going to look for her would have been...naughty of you.”

“I understand,” I say, feeling kind of defeated, but good that I did the right thing.

“Naughty of Pip?”

Twilight and I almost jump out of our coats. We turn and Princess Luna is there! As in she is just there, all of a sudden! Nopony seems to notice but us.

“Gah! Luna! Don't...don't sneak up on us like that!” Twilight says.

“Oh wow! That was a good scare, Princess Luna!” I say.

“So, did Pip try to follow me?” Princess Luna asks.

And before I could say anything, Twilight says, “Yes. Yes he did.”

Oh, I hope Luna isn't cross with me.

“Dear Pipsqueak. I was only gone for a few moments. You missed me already?” Princess Luna asks me, quite teasingly.

I, uh...uh...

The sound of harps and drums dramatically echoed through the open theater doors into the foyer.

Finally, the call to go back to our seats!

SAVED BY THE BELL!

“Twilight, Tia, thank you for keeping an eye on my escort,” Princess Luna says as ponies start to go back in the auditorium. “Come, Pip, we must go back now.”

Whew!

I walk beside Princess Luna. This program says that the call back to our seats is by the Royal Canterlot Symphony and...a gryphon duet named The Harpies. Oooh. And it’s coming from the stage inside the theater, echoing through the open doors of the auditorium. How dramatic!



End of Intermission:

The Anthem – A Call to Return

As performed by the Harp Choir of the Royal Canterlot Symphony, together with the gryphon duet, the Harpies. A soft announcement of intermission's end and a call to return your seats. The performance is about to continue...