• Published 8th Sep 2014
  • 6,943 Views, 175 Comments

No mare left behind - Aqua_Breeze



Join Twilight as she recalls her time as a US Marine during WWII.

  • ...
17
 175
 6,943

Omnivore

It was early in the morning when Twilight awoke. The sun hadn't even risen yet, but Twilight was wide awake. Unable to fall asleep, Twilight decided to get dressed and go out for a morning run. Before running, however, Twilight took a ration bag out of her pack and used a spell she had developed during her time in WWII to quickly prepare the food and then proceeded to eat it before drinking some water from her canteen. After her short breakfast, Twilight headed outside to do some running. When she got outside, Twilight was surprised to see a familiar stallion standing outside, as if waiting for Twilight to come into view before moving.

"Halt!" The stallion said as he took notice of Twilight.

"You can go ahead and cast that revealing spell on me if you want, you'll get the same result as Princess Luna," Twilight said.

The stallion then cast that very spell. After the light had dissipated, he noticed that the Twilight standing in front of him was not a changeling.

"Twily!" The stallion yelled as he pulled Twilight into an embrace.

"It's good to see you too, Shining," Twilight said.

"Since when do you call me by my name like that anymore?" Shining Armor asked.

"Since now," Twilight said.

"Alright... so, where have you been? And what are you wearing?" Shining Armor asked.

"I'll explain all after breakfast, I promise. I want my friends to be here so I don't to explain myself over and over," Twilight said.

"Ok, then, mind if I ask what you're doing awake so early?" Shining Armor asked.

"My morning run," Twilight said.

"Woah, now, what? Since when does my sister wake up before dawn to run? Hay, since when does my sister run if she doesn't have to?" Shining Armor asked.

"Since I became a United States Marine," Twilight said.

"A what?" Shining Armor asked.

"I'll explain later," Twilight said.

"What're you hiding?" Shining Armor asked.

"I'm not hiding anything, I just don't want to repeat myself later on," Twilight said.

"Ok, whatever," Shining Armor said.

"Say, you up for a race?" Twilight asked.

"A race?" Shining Armor asked, earning a nod from Twilight.

"Yea, one hundred bits says I can run three miles faster than you can," Twilight said.

"You're on," Shining Armor said, "But I'll be one hundred bits richer after this, I hope you know".

"Not a chance," Twilight said as she got into her starting pose.

After a countdown, both Twilight and her brother took off. As the distance passed, the two kept good pace with each other. After the 2 mile count, Twilight broke into a faster sprint, leaving her brother behind to try and catch up, which he actually had trouble doing. It took Shining Armor nearly eight minutes to reach the 3rd mile after Twilight.

"I'd like those bits before I go back to Ponyville," Twilight said.

"How... how did you... manage that?" Shining Armor asked, panting heavily.

"It comes with being a Marine. Death waits for Nopony, so Marines need to be able to outrun him," Twilight said.

"Death? What do you mean, death? What've you gotten yourself into?" Shining Armor asked.

"Nothing you need to worry about," Twilight said.

"When my sister starts talking about outrunning death, I will worry," Shining Armor said.

"The explanation will scare you more than that, I guarantee it," Twilight said.

"I have plenty of time, so what's going on?" Shining Armor asked.

"I'll explain everything after my friends get here, I promise," Twilight said.

"Ugh, fine, but you better not let me down," Shining Armor said.

Twilight then drank some of the water in her canteen before offering it to her brother who took it and nearly drained it. It didn't take long for the sun to start coming into view. Twilight took that as her cue to head in for breakfast. She motioned for her brother to follow her inside.


"I hope you're hungry, the chef made quite a large breakfast," Celestia said as Twilight and her brother approached.

"I'm starving," Twilight said.

"I could do with some food myself," Shining Armor said.

"Princess, may I make a strange request?" Twilight asked.

"I guess, sure, " Celestia said.

"Do you have any fresh bacon or ham like for when the griffon dignitaries come to visit?" Twilight asked sheepishly.

"Um, why?" Celestia asked, a little concern in her voice.

"I was wondering if maybe I could have some with my breakfast," Twilight said.

"Ok, I know you did not just say that," Shining Armor said.

"Yes, I did. When meat is part of your rations, and sometimes all you get to eat, you learn to adapt to it. It's not that bad once you start to be able to digest it," Twilight said.

"I'm glad I haven't eaten anything yet," Shining Armor said.

"I'm not sure how I feel about that, Twilight," Celestia said.

"It's fine if you want to turn my request down, I was just asking. I kind of expected a no, to be perfectly honest," Twilight said.

"It is a rather strange request, but I can't just say no like that," Celestia said.

"Princess, that's a joke, right?" Shining Armor asked.

"No, it's not. Your sister has been gone for a year, things will have undoubtedly changed," Celestia said.

"I know she's changed in a few ways. Hay, she challenged me to a three mile run before the sunrise this morning. But she's asking for meat, now," Shining Armor said.

"I am aware, Shining Armor. However, if that's what she wants, then so be it. I am unsure of how she came to gain the ability to safely digest meat products, but that does not require an answer in order for me to honor her request," Celestia said.

"If it bothers you that much, I don't have to have any," Twilight said.

"No... it's fine, I guess. I just have to come to terms with the fact that my sister is now a carnivore," Shining Armor said.

"One, I'm an omnivore. I don't eat only meat. Two, I'm glad you can still call me your sister after hearing that," Twilight said.

"You'll always be my sister, Twily, no matter what you eat... well, as long as it's not pony meat," Shining Armor said.

"I'm not a cannibal," Twilight said.

"I know, I just... never mind, let's go eat," Shining Armor said..


"That smells delicious," Twilight said as the smell of the bacon she requested reached her nose.

"Smells disgusting to me," Shining Armor said.

"So, Twilight, how did you come to adapt to meat products?" Celestia asked.

"Like I said earlier, you learn to adapt when it's part of your rations. Sometimes, all we'd get is meat for the day. Not like I could just turn it down. A hungry marine is a dead marine, after all," Twilight said.

"And were you never near grass or flowers?" Shining Armor asked.

"I was almost always near grass, but it would've been ill-advised to try and eat any of it. To do so would distract me and leave me open to possible banzai attacks. Snakes, as we call them, lay still in the grass and it's almost impossible to see them if you're not looking for them. They have blades on the ends of their weapons. Try and guess what would happen if I were eat some grass near a 'snake'," Twilight said.

"Wait a second, what!?" Shining Armor yelled.

"Exactly, so you can see why I had to adapt to meat," Twilight said.

"No no no, first you talk about death following you, now you're talking about enemy attacks. What have you been up to?" Shining armor asked.

"If you want the short end of it, I'm a United States Marine, we are the first the see the battlefield," Twilight said.

"So, you're a warrior now?" Shining Armor asked.

"I prefer the term 'Marine', but yes. I have been fighting in a war for the past year. It's not been pretty, it's not been fun, but that's just how war is. Freedom is not given, it is earned through the blood, sweat, and tears shed by those in the armed forces," Twilight said.

Nothing else was said for the rest of Breakfast as both Shining Armor and Celestia tried to process what Twilight had told them about being involved in a war. It wasn't until Luna had decided to partake in Breakfast that the silence was finally broken.

"I thought you had already finished and gone to wait for Twilight's friends," Luna said.

"No, we're just trying to wrap our brains around my sister just coming back from a war," Shining Armor said.

"Whatever do you mean?" Luna asked.

"It would seem as though Twilight is a trained warrior. Hard for me to take in at first, still hard to accept," Celestia said.

"I... see," Luna said as the smell of fresh bacon reached her, "So... are we planning on having Griffons or Minotaurs visit?"

"No, Twilight's here to visit," Shining Armor said.

"I am aware of this," Luna said.

"It appears as though Twilight is also capable of safely digesting meat products that she eats," Celestia said.

"Is this true, Twilight?" Luna asked.

"Yea, and I gotta say, this is better than field rations," Twilight said as she took a bite of bacon right there in front of Luna, "Much better".

"Well that... is, um... quite a talent," Luna said.

"You'll have to wait for my friends to get here unless either Princess Celestia or my brother want to try and explain it," Twilight said.

"I'm good, thank you," Luna said.

Just then, the doors burst open as Twilight's friends came running into the room.

"We got your letter Princess, what's the matter?" Rainbow asked.

"I'm the matter," Twilight said as she called the attention of her friends.

It took a couple moments before the others were able to process the fact that Twilight was sitting right there in front of them. When they finally processed it all, they yelled Twilight's name and ran over to her to embrace her in the first full group hug they've had in a year.

"Where have you been?" Was a common question all of a sudden.

"Well, sit down, and I'll explain," Twilight said.

"Looks like we get quite a feast as well," Applejack said as she took in all the food in front of her.

As the group grabbed some food and sat down, the chef brought out another plate for Twilight.

"Here you go, Miss Sparkle, some of our finest steak," The chef said, causing table to go quiet and earning Twilight plenty of weird looks.

"Thanks," Twilight said before cutting a small slice off the steak, picking it up, and taking a bite,"This is amazing. What did you say this was?".

"Steak, the finest of it in all of Canterlot" The chef said

"I'll have to take some of this home when I leave, it's good," Twilight said.

"That's not real beef, is it?" Applejack asked.

"Oh yes, it is. One hundred percent genuine Canterlot bovine," The chef said.

"I think I'm actually full now," Rainbow Dash said.

"About the same reaction I had," Shining Armor said.

"Sugarcube, ah hope ya know that we ponies can't eat meat," Applejack said.

"A little magic goes a long way when trying to adapt your body to different foods," Twilight said.

"But... but why?" Applejack asked.

"Meat became an almost daily food for me for the past year. I figured it'd be best to try and see if magic could help me out. I cast a spell just before my third meal and then tried it again. It worked like a charm," Twilight said.

"Were there no plants or anything green where ya were?" Applejack asked.

"Funny, my brother asked kind of the same question. The answer is yes, but the fact that eating even a simple patch of grass could've ended with a bayonet being thrust into my forehead was enough to deter me," Twilight said.

"What the hay is a bayonet?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"It's a knife that you attach to the end of a rifle for when you run out of ammo and the enemy is just out of reach," Twilight said.

"What the hay is a rifle? And what did you do to make somepony want to put a knife between your eyes?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"A rifle is... well, it's... well, shit, how would I describe a rifle?" Twilight said.

"Twilight, do watch your tongue," Celestia said with a stern tone.

"Sorry, Princess, bad habit I picked up," Twilight said.

"Anyway, forget what a rifle is, ah want to know why somepony would want to kill ya," Applejack said.

"I managed to get myself involved in a war within mere moments after my teleportation," Twilight said.

"It's not April foals day, Twilight," Applejack said.

"That's not a joke," Twilight said, "Or have none of you taken notice of my uniform?".

"So, then you're a soldier now?" Applejack asked.

"Well, a little more than that. Soldiers fight in the army, but that's not for me. I am a Marine, best of the best, steps above the army, first into the fight," Twilight said.

"Never would've tagged ya fer a fighter, much less a soldier," Applejack said.

"Enough of this petty talk, I have some stories to tell you," Twilight said.

"I will ask that you do your best to keep the violence and foul language to a minimum, Twilight," Celestia said.

"No promises," Twilight said.