• Published 8th Sep 2014
  • 6,943 Views, 175 Comments

No mare left behind - Aqua_Breeze



Join Twilight as she recalls her time as a US Marine during WWII.

  • ...
17
 175
 6,943

Spiritual pit stop

Author's Note:

If you are easily offended, pissed off, or otherwise have the inability to accept others having different religious views than you, do NOT read this chapter.

"I have been wondering, is there anything else to these... humans than fighting and killing?" Celestia asked.

"Yes, actually," Twilight said, "In fact, what I find most interesting is something they call religion".

"And what is that?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"A religion is a system of beliefs centered around just one guy who is supposedly the creator of the world," Twilight said, "And there's multiple religions out there, even a few with vastly different beliefs".

"Sounds kinda crazy if ya ask me," Applejack said.

"Let's just say I can understand Pinkie Pie better than how all these different religions work," Twilight said.

"Alright, now ya have my attention," Applejack said.


"You alright?" Nick asked while untying Twilight.

It had been an hour since Twilights capture, and she was tied quite nicely to a chair that had long since toppled. In her drained state, she was unable to free herself, and had to lay on her side the entire time.

"My wings hurt, I came close to losing my horn, and that one officer almost broke my muzzle," Twilight said, "Yea, I'm just peachy".

"No need to be a smart ass," Nick said, "Now... how did this even happen?".

"I guess I overestimated my magic," Twilight said.

"I'd say so," Nick said.

"Thanks for the help, by the way" Twilight.

"What are friends for?" Nick asked.

"I'm probably gonna get chewed out, aren't I?" Twilight asked.

"The captain's as worried about you as I was," Nick said reassuringly.

"Oh, good then," Twilight.

The duo finally exit the town hall and come face to face with their captain. Just as Nick said, he was not angry, but glad that his newest Marine was still very much alive and looking well with all things considered. He, however, said nothing as the two walked past... he was just too busy overseeing the defenses being put up. Nick steered Twilight away, not wanting her to interfere in any way. Dreadson was glad to see her alive, but that doesn't mean he'd want her interfering at the moment in something important like this.

As the pair walked on, a strange building came into view. The rather large cross was the first thing Twilight noticed. It's what set the building apart from any other.

"So, what's this place?" Twilight asked as they got closer.

"It's called a church," Nick said, "Do you not have them back where you're from?".

"No, we don't," Twilight said, "It looks kind of important, though".

"It's sacred ground," Nick said, "A place of worship".

"And, who do you worship?" Twilight asked.

"Our creator and father in Heaven," Nick said.

"I see," Twilight said, "Kind of interesting to find somepony, I mean someone... sorry, like that in a place that looks like Tartarus".

"Tartarus?" Nick asked, "That's Greek for 'Hell', right?".

"Well, I don't know what Greek refers to, or Hell for that matter," Twilight said, "But I do know that Tartarus is a place where any being that has pure evil in their heart goes when they die".

"That's exactly what Hell is for people like me," Nick said, "In any case, I can also say you won't be seeing our actual creator in there".

"But, did you not just say you worship him or her here?" Twilight asked, baffled.

"He doesn't have a physical form, but his spirit is in everything we see," Nick said.

"And how does that work?" Twilight asked, "A spirit can only occupy one entity at a time. Even magic can't split a spiritual body".

"He is omnipresent," Nick said, "He is literally everywhere, even though we don't see him".

"But... that's... that's just not possible!" Twilight yelled.

"He created this world," Nick said, "What force within it could keep him contained in only one place at any given time?".

"I get what you're saying, but that's not how it works," Twilight said, "It's just not possible for one being to occupy everything in the world like that".

"Tell me, do you have a Heavenly figure whom you worship in your world?" Nick asked.

"Well, princess Celestia and her sister, princess Luna, princesses of the sun and moon respectively, and rulers of Equestria," Twilight said, "But, they're not spirits. They're both very much alive".

"So, then you don't worship as we do here," Nick stated, "I guess that's understandable".

"So, has anyone ever seen this 'God'?" Twilight asked.

"Only after we die, will we be able to look upon him," Nick said.

"Then how can you be so sure he even exists at all?" Twilight asked.

"I get that question more often than any other," Nick said, "And the answer is always the same: I have faith that he will be there when I die".

"So, then you just live on whatever faith is?" Twilight asked.

"It's another word for belief," Nick said, "And yes, I do".

"Don't you want to know for sure, though?" Twilight asked.

"If I knew for sure, I'd already be dead," Nick pointed out.

"Well... ok good point," Twilight said.

"Any other questions?" Nick asked.

"Well, yes," Twilight said, "Quite a few, actually".

"Alright, well let me go say my prayers and I'll answer all the questions you have," Nick said.


"I never gave our creator much thought, to be honest," Celestia said.

"Neither did I," Luna said, "Though I assume if he, or she, had wanted us to know about his or her existence, they'd have revealed themselves to us at some point or another".

"That's the crazy part, though," Twilight said, "See, Nick believes that his 'God' sent his only son instead of showing himself long ago".

"And why would this 'God' guy not come say hello himself?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"I honestly don't know," Twilight said, "But there are a couple of things that baffle more about that".

"And those being?" Luna asked.


"Is... is that the one you call 'God'?" Twilight asked, walking over.

Nick was on his knees, bowing before a statue of Jesus Christ on a cross. As Twilight spoke, he finished his prayer and then turned to answer.

"That's not God, that's his son," Nick said.

"Um... what?" Twilight asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Nobody alive has ever laid eyes upon God, but they have laid eyes upon his one and only son, Jesus," Nick explained.

"So, his son has had a physical form at some point, but God himself has not," Twilight said, "How is that of all things possible?".

"I don't know how to explain that exactly," Nick said, "All I know is that Jesus was given a physical form after being born to an Earth bound mother, a virgin whose name was Mary".

"Ok, hold on..." Twilight said, holding her forehead, "Did you just say he was born from a virgin?".

"That's right," Nick said.

"But... how could she have possibly become pregnant and retained her virgin status?" Twilight asked, "Or does virgin have a different meaning in this world?".

"God chose Mary to bear his son, and so he gave her a child," Nick said, "But she never had to get dirty to have that child".

"That's... how... what..." Twilight stammered.

"I won't tell you that I know how it worked exactly, cause I don't," Nick said, "All I know is that it worked, and Jesus was born to his Earth bound mother".

"And one more thing, why did he send his son instead of coming himself?" Twilight asked, "I don't want to sound disrespectful, but this just doesn't make sense".

"He sent his son to die for us and forgive us for our sins," Nick said, "If he were to die instead, he would not be God as God is truly immortal and can't be killed by any means, physical or otherwise".

"Wait, he sent his only son to die?" Twilight asked, "Again, I don't wanna sound disrespectful, but what loving father does that?".

"Jesus took our sins with him to the cross on the day of his crucifixion," Nick said, "When he died, those sins died with him".

"Your world is just so confusing," Twilight said, "How can you take away past actions of others with you at any point? Never mind when you die, just in general".


"So wait, hold on, this God guy really sent his only single son to a world where he knew his son would die?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"That's what Nick said," Twilight said.

"Ah'm with you, sugarcube," Applejack said, "What loving father would do something like that?".

"Not one that I know of," Twilight said.

"And you said that this son died with the sins of others?" Luna asked.

"That's right," Twilight said.

"While it is possible to forgive others for their past actions, to take those past actions upon yourself and make them yours is impossible... no matter who you are," Celestia said, "Even I do not have such power".

"And you also mentioned something about immortality, correct?" Luna asked.

"Yes," Twilight said, "According to Nick, God can't have a physical body because that would imply that he could be killed".

"Even immortality has its limits," Celestia said, "If one should strike out against me or my sister, and give either of us a mortal wound, it would kill us. While it would take more force than you can possibly imagine, it is not impossible".

"And I can only imagine the same is true in a spiritual realm," Luna said, "If all are made of ethereal energy, as spirits are, then should one strike with enough force, the being receiving the strike would die".

"I don't understand it myself," Twilight said, "But it's what Nick believes is the truth".

"I have a question, Twilight," Rarity said.

"Ask, and I'll try to answer," Twilight said.

"If this 'God' is able to make it so his son can take the past sins of others and make them his own, could he have not just erased sin from the world at the start?" Rarity asked.

"I would imagine so, but I didn't ask," Twilight said.

"Well, one thing's for sure," Applejack said, "Ya weren't kidding when ya said Pinkie is easier ta understand than that religion stuff".

"And what I really don't get is why there's multiple religions," Twilight said, "Some worshiping the same being, but believing worship should happen in different ways, and others worshiping another being entirely".

"I would assume that's because of the differences in cultures," Celestia said.

"Well... that actually makes sense," Twilight said.