• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 3,170 Views, 22 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons. Competition Compilation - Katarn



Compilation of short stories, from competition in PH comment thread

  • ...
10
 22
 3,170

Just Another Number by MisterMagma

It was just another day on the front lines for us. Except half of us were dead, and another quarter bleeding out as the medics were overstretched. The trench was quickly becoming a river of blood as the zebras made another damned push. I’d been so doped up on Med-X that i didn’t even notice the widening hole in my chest and my missing leg. I was beyond healing potions now. Only the zebra katana and obscure bullet casings by my side showed any sign of them breaking our lines. Through the smoke and risen dirt were the faint outline of zebra tanks advancing on our lines. Further up the trench, one of their shells got lucky and caved in the trench on that side. Some of my squadmates were cowering in fear, knowing we were all going to die. I had to inspire them. Somehow.

Then it hit me. Not a bullet, or a shell, or some enchanted zebra crap, but an idea. Everyone was so caked in dirt and blood it was hard to see who was who. so i just shouted for the nearest guy. “Hey, give me a boost would ya?”

“Sure thing, Captain.”

As he lifted me, my plan suddenly looked really shitty. Some of our troops had already evac’d the trench, in suicidal rage or fanatical hope. The zebras were all over them, their blades slaking their thirst for death. That was my plan, to hold them off in a push that would leave them shaking in their stealth cloaks. After organising what little I had in the way of support, it was kill or die trying. “FOR LUNA!” we screamed at the top of our lungs.
We must have looked pitiful or psychotic. I was still atop somepony’s back, I don’t know or care who. The zebras actually stopped to gaze in amazement at our fanaticism. We dropped countless of them in those few seconds. When the zebras regained their composure, it was over for us. We knew it anyway. Nopony survives on the front lines anymore. Nopony.