• Published 3rd Sep 2014
  • 1,570 Views, 68 Comments

Change to the Familiar - Rhino



A normal stallion gets an unexpected surprise in the form of a changeling newborn, of course just because one change is done on purpose doesn't mean more aren't on the way by coincidence.

  • ...
3
 68
 1,570

Chapter 1: To Create Change

Some say that rituals and repetition are the foundation of a healthy life. Others will say that it is change that makes life worth living. Yet still others say that a happy medium is key. No matter which end of the spectrum one finds oneself on, one will find remnants of either all around them.

The side of stability and ritual find their like in the sky this morning, the powerful diarchs of Equestria doing their daily duties. After a long night of vigil over the realms of both life and dreams, the lunar princess lowers her beacon over the horizon. At the same time, the fiery light of her sister's orb rises from the opposite side, as both have done for untold days. However, as the dark alicorn finishes her duties, those who favor change and adaptability would perk up if they could see her actions.

Luna turns and heads into her room, closing the doors to her balcony with a flick of magic. Her gaze instead turns to her guest. "Today is the last day for the best results. Have you made your decision?"

"I have." The guest nods, her solid sapphire-colored eyes bobbing. Her build is very similar to that of the princess of the night herself, though with a dash of insectoid features thrown in. "You certainly have made a bold plan, but I must ask one last time: Do you truly think it will work?"

"I do, Queen Carapace." The midnight blue alicorn sits on a large cushion opposite an identical one her guest rests on. She speaks as she kicks off her metal shoes. "We both agree that something more must be done. Current progressions are slow to non-existent in most places."

The changeling sighs. "Yes, though no one can realistically expect peace and integration of a new species to go too smoothly. Doubly so for my own, given the actions of the former Queen." Fangs show briefly as a small scowl appears on her face before her expression softens once more. Swiping a strand of translucent blue mane behind her ear, she looks to the diarch with a small smile. "Also, didn't we agree to dispense with titles and formalities for the sake of speaking freely?"

"That we did. My apologies." Luna answers with a smile of her own. "Try not to worry too much about mistakes in the past, let us simply learn and look to the future."

"Yes... I suppose that is in essence your plan; to plant seeds now for a brighter tomorrow." The blue queen nods thoughtfully. "Does your sister ever do anything like this?"

"I believe so, even if she will never admit to it directly." Taking off the rest of her regalia, the alicorn lies down on her cushion. "I admit I did not observe the candidate from birth, seeing as he was in school when I was returned. However, I pass all my ponies in dreams, and his were some of many I kept an eye on to gauge our subjects' reactions to the integration of yours."

The changeling nods, looking thoughtful and staying silent for a few minutes. She finally speaks as something occurs to her. "I'm sorry, it appears I never actually told you my decision."

"I have learned the value of patience." Luna smiles soothingly. "I also know this was not an easy decision on your part."

"No... No it was not." Taking a deep breath, Carapace slowly speaks. “I agree to the plan… with conditions.”

One royal eyebrow quirks upward. “Oh? Of course it is your right to request such, but I am curious what you have in mind.”

“I wish to observe for myself,” the Queen states. “While your recommendations have been helpful, I want to use this last day to see it for myself, disguised. At sunset, I shall ask any questions, and we will commence tonight unless anything comes up. A nymph is already on the way with what you requested.”

Luna tilts her head. “I understand, and I accept your conditions. However, don’t you think you are being a bit clinical about this?”

The changeling grimaces at herself. “Looks like it’s my turn to apologize. These are the times I hate being Queen… when I have to balance emotions and logic when it would be easier to simply give in to one.”

The Princess nods slowly. “Such is the burden of life and leadership, but the fact you know it makes me glad. You will continue to be a fine Queen for your subjects.”

“I certainly hope so…” The insectoid form stands up, membranous wings slipping out from their casings and buzzing slowly. “I shall be going then. I have only today to observe this strange-named stallion to further calm my doubts.”

Nodding, the alicorn opens her balcony doors once more. “I wish you luck and will see you when I awaken.”

Face calm, Carapace nods as well, alighting to the sky and slipping out under the morning glow.

***

*Beep beep beep beep beep beep be-click*

One of the most annoying sounds in the world is silenced as the green aura around the alarm clock fades. A unicorn stallion of a slightly darker shade of the same color begrudgingly slides out of his bed. Eyes bleary, the pony weaves through the various bits of furniture, including a tall, full bookshelf and a wooden dresser whose low and sharp top corners gouged many an equine shoulder before they learned to give the useful, if slightly nefarious, furnishing its space. Letting out a generous yawn, the stallion works his way towards the kitchen.

The house itself is very modest, one of many in Ponyville with similar designs. A single story home with a thatch roof, two bedrooms, one of which was converted to a study by the current resident, one good-sized bathroom, kitchen, and living room. As the pony goes about his morning routine, he doesn’t say a single word. Why would he? When one lives alone, talking can only be done to yourself most of the time.

A short time later, with the smoothness of motion that only comes with repetition, he picks up a pair of saddlebags near the door, leaving a small dent in the carpet that will only be worsened when he comes home and puts them in the exact same place.

“Good morning!”

The stallion jumps slightly as he hears a greeting clearly meant for him at the end of his usual morning journey. Turning, he is met by a cheerful tan face topped with slicked brown mane. Cracking a smile, he raises a hoof to return the greeting. “Good morning, Mr. Davenport.”

The owner of the well-known shop, Quills and Sofas, chuckles at the unicorn. “Six months you’ve been running this shop of yours and you still managed to get spooked by my morning greeting, Rhino?”

The stallion in questions chuckles. Though his name is a bit unusual, his mother had earned the right to name him what she considered a cute yet masculine and unique name by purely being more stubborn than his father had been on the point; eleven months of leverage hadn’t hurt either. “Just one of those mornings I’m lost in my thoughts, I guess.”

“Yep, and won’t be the last I’d imagine.” His usual morning kindness of making sure the younger male wasn’t a zoned-out zombie complete, the fellow store owner turns toward his own shop. “Have a good day, and be sure to let me know if that sofa I sold you gives you any trouble.”

“Will do, sir!” With a smile on his face now, Rhino sweeps the blue stripe in his otherwise black mane off to the side of his face as he unlocks his own shop and enters. As he stows his stuff in the back and starts to bring out inventory, one could be forgiven for thinking that the stallion runs a jewelry store simply by the layout and display cases. However, as various gems and trinkets are brought out, placed precisely in their displays by a bit of magic, those with sharp eyes can see etchings in every single piece.

Once everything is set out, he flips his sign to open and busies himself with basic shop maintenance. More active than he was at the start of this morning, the stallion has just enough time to double check his ledgers on the previous day’s sales before the small bell above the door rings.

Looking up, Rhino smiles kindly at the potential customer. “Good morning! Welcome to the Runic Arcanum. How may I help you, ma’am? I have enchantments and magical accessories for almost any need.”

The golden-maned grey pegasus smiles back at him, adjusting the mailbag on her back. “Hello! I heard from a friend that you made her a custom night-light gem. I was wondering if I could get one of those for my daughter.”

Nodding, the stallion motions her over to a particular and popular display case.

The rest of the day passes by rather typically for the unicorn. After work, he heads home and eats a solitary meal; no letters to read, no ponies to entertain. The only other notable thing he does is a bit more work and research into his current pet project: designing an enchantment with the reliability of an alarm clock, but that doesn’t make you want to angrily smash it as your first act of the day. After a bit of light reading to top off the night, the stallion can once again be found snoozing in his bed, unaware of those that had been observing and continue to do so.

***

Luna aims downward towards the sleepy little village of Ponyville. Her natural color makes her almost invisible in her night sky and her magic makes her completely silent. She wings over the treetops, eventually coming to rest on a large branch of a fine specimen of oak. Smoothly, she takes a seat, speaking plainly to the air around her. “How went your observations?”

“Both enlightening and yet not,” the air answers back as it ripples, soon revealing the navy form of the changeling queen as she is perched on another branch. “I have seen for myself what he is like, yet admittedly all it did was reinforce what you have already told me. Nothing new was learned, nothing really interesting happened. Just a normal stallion going about his life.”

“Indeed.” The alicorn’s eyes gain a far-off look to them for a moment as she checks something. “A pony content with his lot in life for the moment to all who see him, yet dreams can tell more…” Peeking over to her friend, she see the tiny wrapped bundle that was delivered once night had fallen. “So… have you any questions or worries?”

“Questions? Perhaps. Worries?” A small bitter laugh comes from Carapace. “I don’t know if any of us can ever truly say we don’t have them.” Looking down to the bundle she is holding, she sighs. “You know some ponies don’t react well to change.”

“Very true… but change is inevitable,” Luna replies sagely. “Better to have it happen on our terms.”

“Agreed…” The changeling looks back towards the house, her expression neutral. “You said he has actually dreamed of something like this before?”

“To an extent. He dreams of the result, not the cause.” The princess shifts to get comfortable. “It is strange because his mind seems to deliberately leave the details fuzzy… as if he wants to leave his options open to better allow himself happiness.”

For the first time tonight, Carapace smiles. “A good answer… and I think a good stallion. Very well. Let us start ponies on this journey with the smallest first steps.”

The sleeping stallion continues snoozing, unaware of those about to change his life. In his unconscious state, he only knows his dreams as he sleeps on his side, a pillow hugged lightly against his chest. As his dreamscape is gently nudged by the Princess of the Night, he is unaware that his house is entered. When he smiles in his mind, he does not know of the small bundle being put on his pillow.

A voice whispers in his ear. “She is yours now… take good care of her.”

As visions of tiny forms snuggle against him in dreams, he is not awake to notice himself doing the same to his pillow… nor the bundle doing it back to him, dreaming its own tiny dreams.