• Published 22nd Aug 2014
  • 960 Views, 28 Comments

Love For All - Derpyforever



You've read the TLS trilogy, but whatever happened to Twilight and Fluttershy's friends... did they get coltfriends... Join them as they, along with a few others, adventure out into the wonders of love.

  • ...
17
 28
 960

Chapter 7: Tough Scales, Soft Heart

Chapter 7: Tough Scales, Soft Heart

The next day, Scootaloo and Off Road were racing each other on their scooters when they just so happen to pass by Twilight's Library.

"Hey Road, didn't you say you wanted to meet Twilight," Scootaloo asked as they came to a screeching halt.

"Yeah," Road nodded.

"We could see her right now if you want."

"Really? Cause that would be awesome."

"Yeah, I'm sure she won't mind."

Road and Scootaloo took off their helmets and approached the door where Scootaloo knocked.

"I'll be there in a second," Spike's voice called... but it was slightly deeper than normal.

When it was opened, Scootaloo was surprised to see him... not as him. His arms were longer and a little more gangly with slightly longer and sharper claws, and his tail, being longer as well, had more spikes on it.

"Spike," Scootaloo gasped, "Is that you?"

"Yep," Spike nodded, "Just came out of dragon hibernation a yesterday."

"Dragon Hibernation?"

"It's when a dragon sleeps through a growth sprit," Twilight replied. She was no longer looking down at Spike for he was at her eye level now as she proudly said, "My little Spike is growing up."

"You keep acting less like a sister and more like a mother," Flash appeared from inside and by Twilight.

"Don't be jealous that your sister wasn't as nice," Twilight smirked.

"Well, sister," Spike chuckled, "I'm going to go out. Need to get use to my new height."

"Alright," Twilight replied, "See you later."

After Spike left, leaving Scootaloo to introduced Road to Twilight, he walked down the streets with his head held high as everypony he passed looked at him twice before realizing it was him.

"Hey, Spike," Cheerilee smiled as he passed by, "My have you gotten big."

"Thank you," Spike nodded.

He had a skip in his step as he walked past the park and saw Fluttershy and Comet together on a picnic.

"How's it going, Fluttershy," Spike smiled as he approached the two

Fluttershy just stared at Spike for a moment before asking, "S-Spike?"

"Uh-huh," Spike grinned, "Like the new me? Just came out of hibernation."

"Oh my, you should have told me it was time for your hibernation. I would've gone find a bunch of gems for you to eat and then make a nice, cozy bed for you to sleep in."

"It's alright," Spike shrugged, "Everything went alright, so I wouldn't have needed your help."

"That's my Fluttershy, though," Comet beamed, "always helping."

"Thanks," Fluttershy blushed.

Spike looked away as the two kissed, (partially because his mentality hasn't caught up with the rest of him and was still in baby dragon mode, so it still kind of grossed him out to see two ponies making out), but then it dawned on him that maybe he could finally get Rarity to notice him. He quietly slipped away from the two to finally win the affection of Rarity... completely forgetting what she told him before he fell asleep...

Spike was walking down the streets with his skip again and was happy as can be; nothing could damper his mood. He became older, he get's more freedoms, he could finally get Rarity's atten-...

"What the," Spike exclaimed as he walked into Rarity's shop to see Seazon give Rarity a bouquet flower. The two looked at him as his heart began to sink.

"Spikey," Rarity smiled, "You finally woke up."

"Into a nightmare," Spike exclaimed

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you with this guy?!"

"I told you, remember? He's my coltfriend."

"... coltfriend," Spike slowly repeated as he suddenly remembered what had happen before he fell asleep, "Oh no! I forgot about that!"

Rarity watched the downhearted dragon as he slumped down into a nearby chair. She let out a little sigh and walked up to him.

"I'm really sorry, Spike," Rarity said, "You literally devoted your life for me, but your a dragon and I'm a pony, I can't see any possible way we could be together... and what would happen after that? I mean, I couldn't possibly imagine what our offspring would look like, and that's considering if we're able."

"I know," Spike replied, "I just thought there would be at least some chance."

"If it makes you feel any better, you know we'll always be friends," Rarity smiled, "and you'll always be my number one dragon assistant who I can trust to always be there for me... and who know, you might find some lady dragon to be with."

"I guess your right," Spike smiled back then got up and looked over to Seazon, "Be good to her, alright."

"Of course," Seazon nodded.

"Like I said, will always be there for me," Rarity chuckled.

"I will be," Spike smiled as he made his way out of the shop, "See ya."

Spike made his way and walked around the edge of the Everfree forest, a little hurt from no longer being able to gain the love of Rarity, but happy to know that she will never forget about him.

"I wonder if I'll ever find a dragon like Rarity said," Spike wondered as he kicked a rock hard at a bush.

"OW," the bush exclaimed, "Hey, what's the big idea!"

Spike just stared at the bush, looked around to see nobody else, than back at the bush.

"I'm... sorry, bush," Spike replied, a little confused.

"I'm not a bush," the voice remarked as a female dragon about Spike's age stood up from behind. She had yellow scales with purple fins on her back and purple spikes on her tail, "I was hibernating... lucky for you though, it looks like I'm done."

"That's funny," Spike chuckled.

"You think getting hit with rock by some stranger is funny!"

"No, that was an accident, I didn't know you were behind the bush," Spike apologized, "I just find it coincidental that I finished hibernating yesterday."

"Really," the dragon asked, calming down a bit.

"Yeah," Spike smiled... but then realized he was just staring at her as she stared back, "I... I never caught your name."

"Whimsey," she declared

"I'm Spike."

"Cool name," Whimsey smiled.

"Thanks," Spike blushed a little, "Twilight thought it would fit me pretty good."

"Is Twilight your mother?"

"Not exactly. She's an alicorn who hatched me from my egg. She took care of me ever since."

"Oh," Whimsey replied, slightly shocked, "You live with a pony?"

"Yeah," Spike replied, "Why do you ask?"

"I just thought you lived with other dragons."

"Who do you live with?"

"I live with my mother in a cave not far from her," Whimsey pointed to a mountain on the other side of the forest, "On Willy Nellie Mountain... but living with ponies is pretty cool. I always wondered what there like?"

"Well... would you like to come with me to Ponyville?"

"Sure."

Spike led Whimsey back to Twilight's library and walked inside where Twilight was re-shelving some books and Flash was trying to get her to let him help.

"If I don't practice, how do you expect me to help around the library," Flash said

"No matter how many time you practice, your going to mix it up... oh hey, Spike, who's your friend," Twilight asked.

"Twilight, this is Whimsey, I met her out near the Everfree forest. Whimsey, this is Twilight, the alicorn that hatched me from my egg," Spike introduced.

"Hi," Whimsey waved.

"Well hello," Twilight smiled, "Glad to see Spike is associating with more than just ponies. Want me to show you around the library?"

"Ok."

Spike stared at Whimsey as she followed Twilight upstairs. He smiled to himself until the sound of a throat being cleared and a "Hoo" snapped him out of it. He turn around to see Owlowiscious on the back of Flash.

"What," Spike asked, not liking the smug look on either's face/beak.

"You know what," Flash grinned.

"Hoo."

"I don't like like her," Spike snapped at Owlowiscious.

"Yes you do," Flash teased, "I see the little love birds around your head... the little hearts in you eyes... the..."

"Alright! Enough already," Spike exclaimed, "So I find her attractive, big deal."

"It is a big deal," Flash said, not teasing him now, "You found somedragon to be with and you shouldn't let that slip by you."

"Like I'd have a chance with her," Spike sighed, "I'd haven't any luck in the past."

"Hoo."

"... You know what, you're right Owlowiscious," Spike replied, apparently motivated by whatever the owl said, "I just found somedragon to be with and I shouldn't let that slip by me."

"Seriously," Flash exclaimed, "You listen to the bird!"

"He's normally right," Spike replied as he made his way upstairs, "and he's right about seizing the chances life gives me."

Flash watched Spike run upstairs, then looked at the owl on his back

"You wouldn't happen to have any dating tips for me with Twilight, would you," Flash asked.

"Hoo."

"Twilight," Flash repeated.

"Hoo."

"Your owner, the pony who takes care of you," Flash said, getting a little frustrated.

"Hoo."

"The lavender alicorn that just went upstairs a few minutes ago," Flash yelled.

"Hoo."

"Why do I even try with you," Flash grimaced...

Meanwhile, Spike went upstairs and into Twilight's room, who, to Spike's embarrassment, was showing Whimsey baby pictures of him.

"And this is when he accidently set fire to one of his stuffed animals, and he got upset," Twilight said, showing Whimsey a picture of a baby Spike throwing a fit over a pile of ash next to him.

"Aww," Whimsey laughed.

"Twilight," Spike groaned.

"Hey, Spike," Twilight smiled, "just showing some pictures of you."

"I can see that," Spike deadpanned, then turned to Whimsey, "Hey, Whimsey, can I asked you something in private."

"Sure," Whimsey replied.

Twilight nodded and began to leave the room... but not before whispering into Spike's ear, "I think you picked a good one."

Spike blushed a little as the snickering Twilight closed the door behind her.

"So," Whimsey declared, "What do you want to talk to me about?"

"I just want to know if... umm... you like to go with me... on a date," Spike nervously asked.

"A... date?"

"Yeah," Spike blushed a little harder.

"... Sure."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Whimsey smiled, "You're pretty sweet, and your pony friend, Twilight, is really nice."

"Wow," Spike let out a sigh of relief, "That was easier than I thought."

"That wasn't the hard part though," Whimsey grinned, "You still got to take me on the date."

"That is true," Spike chuckled, "How about a picnic in the park?"

"Sounds good," Whimsey grinned.

Spike and Whimsey walked downstairs as Spike gathered up some gems he kept in a basket.

"I'll be back later," Spike said to Flash and Twilight as they passed them.

"Alright," Twilight smiled, "Don't stay out too late."

"You seriously are mothering him," Flash pointed out as the two left.

"I am not," Twilight frowned.

"Yes, you are," Flash replied, "Calling him your little spike and the baby pictures."

"... Oh my gosh, I am mothering Spike," Twilight realized.

"Well, at least we know you'll make a good mother," Flash grinned.

"Maybe," Twilight blushed, "But for now, I think I'll stick with just Spike."

"Let's hope for not too long," Flash smiled as he leaned in for a kiss before being stopped by Twilight's hoof.

"Keep hoping," Twilight smirked.

"The smart one's are always the tease," Flash chuckled.

"Flattery I see... I guess that earns you a kiss," Twilight cooed as she moved her hoof and leaned in to kiss Flash back.

(To Be Continued...)

Author's Note:

Whimsey is NOT a character I made up. She was part of a different generation of ponies from My Little Pony: Twinkle Shine Adventure.