• Published 31st Oct 2011
  • 3,305 Views, 138 Comments

AppleShy Series - PatRoison



Applejack and Fluttershy start a relationship, but Fluttershy's past catches up with her.

  • ...
10
 138
 3,305

Him Part 2

Him. The one that robbed her of her innocence was standing before her. After all these years Fluttershy could still see the cruelty in his eyes even though they were currently filled with fear. Her mind raced with old memories. The sick smell of the hospital emergency room, the pain of her broken ribs, the weeks spent relearning how to speak while her larynx slowly healed, and the condescending therapists who would constantly tell her nothing was ever her fault. All of these flashed in her mind and she decided that this stallion had to die. Though a voice in her mind told her to forgive him, and if he had attacked her and she managed to get away she would have considered it. No, he was dead not for what he did to her, but what he was about to do to Rainbow Dash.

For years, she prayed that she was an isolated incident. That she was the only one of his victims, but now she had to wonder how many had he hurt before her. How many did he hurt after? How many will he hurt? This thought did nothing but enrage the kind pegasus further. For a moment, she considered simply taking Rainbow Dash and leaving him, but thought about him following them back to Ponyville. What if he got to her friends? What if he hurt Applejack? A final thought sent her charging at Grey Ring in a violent rage, what if he hurt Applebloom.

She flew at Grey Ring and slammed into him as hard she could. Both pegasi were airborne and Fluttershy lifted him high into the air and dropped into a steep dive slamming Grey Ring hard to the ground. He was pleading for his life, but she heard none of it. His voice simply fueled her rage and she began slamming her hooves into his face. Raising her left hoof she quickly brought it down to his cheek, then repeated it with her right. She kept at this and the world faded out but not before she heard a sickening crunch.

After what felt like an eternity, she felt something try to move her. She shook it off and kept pummeling. Eventually, she felt something grab her by the waist and pull her back. She heard a faint voice, but the voice was clearly screaming.

"Fluttershy he's already dead!"

The voice of her oldest friend, perhaps the best friend she ever had, brought her out of her rage. Fluttershy staggered away from Rainbow Dash and threw up. She looked to the blue pegasus and saw that she was terrified. Fluttershy lifted her hoof and tried to touch her friend's cheek, and stopped when she saw that from halfway from her elbow to her hoof was covered in blood and what appeared to be bone. She looked down and saw her right foreleg was slightly bloody. She tried to take a step forward and winced at the pain in her left foreleg hoof.

"Yeah," Rainbow said with fear in her voice, "You really did a number on your hoof." She took a staggered step away from Fluttershy.

"What happened?"

"Well, after you saved me." She looked at Fluttershy and said, "Thanks." She looked back at the body of Grey Ring and continued, "You were standing over me and you looked so," Rainbow paused knowing that there were no words that could capture what she saw, "angry. Then in an instant, you launched yourself at him. The both of you went straight up into the sky and then you slammed him into the ground. I followed and saw you hitting him with your hooves. At first, you were hitting him with lefts and rights, and then you just pounded him with your left hoof. That's probably why it hurts so much." Rainbow motioned for Fluttershy to examine the body.

Fluttershy saw the broken mess that was Grey Ring. She couldn't tell the damage done to his face seeing as he had no face anymore. There was merely a sunken mass of bone, blood, and brain. Fluttershy looked at her hoof and saw gray matter lodged in her horseshoe. She began to feel the weight of what she had done. She was about to go into shock but forced herself out of it. "We need to get rid of it," she said.

"Where should dump him?"

"It," Fluttershy corrected. She looked around and saw signs that there were wolves in the area. "Help me put it on my back." Rainbow was about to protest but Fluttershy said, "You don't need to get blood on your hooves, Rainbow."

Once the body was on Fluttershy's back, she took off in search of the cave that she knew would not be far. Once she found it, she dropped the body and cringed at the thud when it struck the ground. The wolves slowly made their way out of the cave and she called, "I, um brought you lunch." She felt as though she were about to empty her stomach again. The wolves grabbed the body and slowly dragged it into the cave. Fluttershy knew that whatever they didn't eat, other creatures would finish.

She made her way back to Rainbow and collapsed. The horror of what she did was now fully upon her. She looked at her bloody legs and cried, "What have I done? I killed somepony! I'm a monster! I'm no better than him!" She began to cry and Rainbow nudged her gently. Fluttershy looked at her.

"You are not a monster," Rainbow said, "Yeah you killed him, but you saved me, and who knows how many other ponies you might've saved." She looked back to where Fluttershy took the body, "Why did you react that strongly?"

"It was 'him'," Fluttershy said still in tears.

Rainbow looked at her friend in shock unable to find any words. After all these years, Fluttershy finally confronted the one that raped her. Rainbow knew that he deserved it, but Fluttershy was not her. She would see it as a personal failing. Her inability to forgive him would be, to her at least, unacceptable. Rainbow decided that she would help her come to terms with it. She would make certain that Fluttershy knew that she had to do it. Rainbow nudged Fluttershy and led her to a nearby stream. "Let's get you washed up."

Fluttershy sat in the stream and let Rainbow wash the blood off her body. She cringed as Rainbow washed her hoof. It was most likely broken. After a while, Fluttershy was clean again and both pegasi began the slow return trip to Ponyville. It would seem that Fluttershy exorcised one demon only to pick up another. Neither pony spoke during the trip and Fluttershy was thankful for that. It wasn't that she was ashamed with having saved Rainbow, just the opposite. She saved her friend from the pain that Fluttershy knew all too well. It was the fact that now a life was taken and her hooves took it.

It wasn't long before the sun began to set and Rainbow suggested that they find a place to sleep for the night. Fluttershy agreed and they landed near a clearing away from the road. They were cautious as they didn't know if Grey Ring was reported missing or not.

Upon landing, Fluttershy sat down and asked, "What will happen to me, Rainbow?"

Rainbow looked at her friend and said, "Nothing. You made certain that there would be nothing left. I know you think you're a monster, but if anypony deserved it, he did." She put her legs around her friend and hugged her.

Fluttershy couldn't help but cry again. It felt that everything she believed and stood for was suddenly a lie. 'How could I be the Element of Kindness when I can't even forgive,' Fluttershy thought. She simply wanted to sink away into the ground and disappear, but Rainbow wouldn't let her. She looked to Rainbow and said, "I'm glad I was able to help you. I am not ashamed of that. I would never want you to go through that pain." She returned Rainbow's hug then laid down and fell asleep exhausted.

Rainbow couldn't get any sleep. She wondered if Grey Ring was important enough to warrant a search, and decided to keep watch. Over the course of the night, she would fly up to the sky and check to see if there any signs of a search party. She never saw any. Fluttershy was having nightmares, but never stirred from her sleep. She would simply squeak in fear and Rainbow would hold her gently until they passed. She remembered what her mom told her years ago, 'Those that feel the most guilt tend to be the ones who deserve it the least.' Rainbow smiled at the thought knowing that Fluttershy had faced her past and can soon be able to move forward towards a brighter future. Her smile faded when she remembered that day she went to visit her mom at the hospital.

It had been almost half a day since Rainbow dropped out of Flight School and was visiting her mom at the hospital. Her mom was well aware of Rainbow's temper and knew it was a matter of time before something happened at the Flight School. When she saw Rainbow she assumed that she was there to see Fluttershy. She was wrong.

"Hey mom," Rainbow said, "Look I figure I should tell you before you hear it from somepony else." Rainbow paused and said, "I dropped out of Flight School. And before you say anything, it wasn't totally my fault. And ok I didn't exactly drop out I just left without signing the expulsion papers."

Rainbow's mom looked at her and asked, "So you're not here to visit Fluttershy?"

"What? Did her boyfriend rough her up a little? What a drama queen! I can't believe she came running to the hospital where she knows my mom works just to make me feel bad that I didn't bail her out of another one of her jams."

"Well for starters she didn't run in here she was carried. Also, I would hardly call having three broken ribs, a nearly crushed larynx, and being raped a 'little roughed up'."

"She was what?"

"Raped, yes. The trauma shows clear signs of nonconsensual intercourse. Whoever did this raped and then tried to kill her."

"What do you mean?"

"She was found on the bank of a river completely drenched. The police believe that after she was attacked she was dumped into the river in hopes that her other injuries would prevent her from reaching the shore and drown. She is much tougher than she looks."

"Can I see her? I really need to make this right."

"Ok, but remember that her larynx is severely damaged and she can't speak. So don't try and make her."

Rainbow nodded and made her way into Fluttershy's room. There was the broken body of the yellow and pink pegasus. She had bandages wrapped around her head, her left foreleg, her sides, and her wing. Rainbow couldn't tell if she was bandaged below the waist since she was covered with a blanket. Rainbow walked slowly to Fluttershy and sat in a nearby chair.

Fluttershy stirred and slowly opened her eyes. Upon seeing Rainbow, she gave her friend a small smile. She opened her mouth, cringed, and began to cry.

Rainbow brushed the tears from her friend's face and said, "I'm so sorry Fluttershy. I had no idea what was about to happen to you." She looked down feeling terrible. Whether she knew or not it was still no excuse to abandon the only real friend she ever had. Fluttershy put with a lot from Rainbow and never asked for anything in return. Even years later Fluttershy never left her side. Always there with a kind word or a helping hoof.

Rainbow laid her head on Fluttershy's bed and began to cry. She looked up when she felt a hoof on her head. Fluttershy was stroking her mane gently and her eyes were warm and comforting. They were also full of forgiveness. Rainbow could never understand how Fluttershy could forgive her for abandoning her. She never dared ask out of fear that Fluttershy may end their friendship and leave Rainbow truly alone.

Now, here in this clearing, Rainbow saw her oldest most faithful friend and knew how much she truly meant to her. She laid next to her and hugged her gently whispering, "Don't worry Fluttershy. Nothing will hurt you again."

Rainbow noticed that the sun was beginning to rise and she nudged Fluttershy awake. The yellow pegasus stirred and when she saw Rainbow she hugged her and began to cry.

"Oh Rainbow, I thought you left."

"Why would I leave? You saved me, and I will never abandon you again."

Fluttershy sniffed and said, "I know I just was afraid that you didn't want to be friends with a mur-"

"Stop that! You're not a murderer! You did what you had to. I know you're beating yourself up right now, but would you rather he raped me?"

The question shocked Fluttershy, "No! Of course not! I would never wish that kind of pain on anypony!" Fluttershy sighed and said, "I know what you're saying, and I'm, um I'm glad he's dead." She nodded slowly as though to confirm the statement. She felt a bit better having said it out loud and she looked at Rainbow and said with a small smile, "He's gone and he will not hurt any more ponies."

"He won't," Rainbow said, "Let's go home." Before both ponies took off Rainbow had to ask, "Hey how did you manage to get the bits for a ticket?"

"Oh Pinkie gave me what I needed."

"I gotta thank Pinkie then. Imagine if she didn't have the bits." Rainbow shuddered.

"I don't want to think of it."

The trip back to Ponyville was quicker than either of them anticipated and arrived around lunchtime.

---

Back at Ponyville, Pinkie was getting the materials ready for Rainbow Dash's victorious return. She was singing a song and had finished a test batch of a new cupcake recipe, and was about to meet the girls for lunch when she saw Fluttershy and Rainbow fly overhead. "Hey," she yelled causing both pegasi to look down, "What are you doing here?"

Fluttershy flew down to Pinkie and handed her the bag of bits, "Thank you Pinkie but I don't need this anymore."

Pinkie took the bag and asked, "What happened?"

Rainbow said, "There was a problem with the paperwork."

Pinkie looked at Rainbow and gasped, "What happened to you?"

Rainbow remembered that her lip was split open and that she had a black eye from Grey Ring's attack. She tried to smile and winced. Instead, she just said, "Got in a scuffle at the camp. It's nothing."

Pinkie didn't believe her but didn't pursue it. "Okey dokey. Well I'm going to meet the girls for lunch. You wanna come?"

"I'd love to," Fluttershy said, "I miss Applejack."

"Yeah I'm starving, "Rainbow said.

"Okey dokey," Pinkie said happily, "Let's get going!"

The ponies were at having lunch at Twilight's home and were all shocked to see Rainbow not only back so soon but hurt. They gathered around Rainbow and before they could ask what happened Rainbow set their minds at ease, "Calm down everypony. It was just a scuffle at the tryouts nothing more." Rainbow looked to Fluttershy and she agreed with her.

"Yes I saw. There were some ponies who claimed that Rainbow was getting special treatment because she was there at Soarin's request."

"Something don't sound right," Applejack said, "Now ya'll wouldn't be lying to us would ya?"

"C'mon AJ," Rainbow said annoyed, "What do you think happened? That I got attacked and Fluttershy saved me?"

Fluttershy tried to laugh to show how silly that would have been and might have pulled it off if it wasn't the truth.

"Ok fine I'll just ask Fluttershy later," Applejack said.

"Oh yeah," Rainbow replied. She turned to Fluttershy and said, "Fluttershy promise me that what happened stays between us."

"I thought it was just a scuffle," Applejack asked with growing suspicion, "So Fluttershy? What really happened?"

"Fluttershy don't you dare," Rainbow said.

"Um," Fluttershy squeaked. She desperately wanted to run away and hide. "Please. Please don't make me choose." She looked at Applejack and Rainbow with pleading eyes, and was relieved that Applejack responded.

"I'm sorry sugarcube," Applejack said, "Whatever really happened must be big. After all if it were just a scuffle then that means Rainbow won and she wouldn't miss a chance to brag." She kissed Fluttershy on the lips and said, "If you say that it ain't my business then it ain't my business. Just know that I'm worried bout you." She looked to Rainbow and said, "Both of ya'll."

Just then Spike belched out a scroll and said, "Twilight. Message for you!"

"Oh a message from the Princess," Twilight squealed.

Fluttershy felt her stomach drop, "Wow. What could the princess want?"

Twilight didn't notice the growing panic in the pegasus's voice and said, "I don't know. She probably just wants an update on what I learned about friendship. It has been a couple of weeks since my last letter." She began reading it and said, "Oh my. This isn't good." She cleared her throat and read the letter out loud.

Dear Twilight,

It has come to my attention that the owner of the largest weather factory in Equestria's son has gone missing. It has been reported that he was last seen on the carriage headed to the Wonderbolts training grounds. Perhaps your friend Rainbow Dash has seen him. In any event, I would like you and your friends to aid in his search. I cannot stress how vital it is that you find him alive. His name is Grey Ring.

Your Faithful teacher,

Princess Celestia

Twilight finished reading the letter and looked at Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy as they were the only two that went to the tryouts. "Did either of you two see him," Twilight asked.

"Nope," Rainbow said, "It was like I said. I showed up. Some jerk said something. I got in a fight. I got thrown out."

"I thought it was paperwork trouble," Applejack asked.

"That was after the paperwork," Fluttershy said, "Soarin' offered to let Rainbow stay." That was at least true.

"Something don't feel right," Applejack said.

"What do you mean AJ," Twilight asked.

"I dunno Twi," Applejack said, "I just can't shake the feeling that these two know more that their letting on."

"Hey," yelled Rainbow, "You calling Fluttershy a liar? Cause if you are then don't prance around it. Walk right up to her and tell her to her face that she's a liar!" Rainbow knew that Applejack would never do such a thing to Fluttershy.

"Now I ain't calling nopony a liar," Applejack said, "All I'm saying is that it just doesn't feel right the story your telling."

"It's the truth," Fluttershy said.

"And I wanna believe you," Applejack said, "I really do, but it's just in my gut I got a feeling that ya'll are leaving something out."

"Wait a second," Pinkie piped in, "So you think that they're lying about what happened, then lied about that, and are now lying about lying? So that makes it a lie within a lie within a lie. Is there a word for that?" She didn't wait for an answer and bounced off to check the dictionary.

"I'm tired," Fluttershy said, "Can we discuss this later?"

"Yeah," Rainbow agreed, "I'm beat."

"Why," Applejack asked, "So ya'll can get your stories straight?"

"What would it matter," Rainbow asked, "You're the pony lie detector after all."

"Sorry you two," Twilight said, "But there is no rest for the weary until we find Grey Ring and bring him home safe."

All this time, Rarity was wondering where she heard the name Grey Ring before. She just realized and said, "I though the name sounded familiar, and I for one hope that he is food for the wolves!"

Fluttershy's inner panic became even more pronounced.

"What do you mean Rarity," Twilight asked.

"Well I was wondering where I heard that name before and I recall that he was rumored of 'attacking' mares," Rarity said.

"Was there any evidence supporting it," Twilight asked, "Because if there wasn't then that doesn't mean anything."

"I suppose you are correct Twilight Sparkle," Rarity conceded, "But it still stands to reason that one of his victims could have gotten their revenge. If that were the case I would gladly make them a gown!"

"Well could Fluttershy and me get some food," Rainbow asked, "I mean we did just fly all morning, and we're starving!"

"Ok," Twilight said, "But be back here in one hour."

"Twilight," Fluttershy said, "What would happen if we can't find him?"

"Well if we can't find him then I guess the Princess will have to assume he was murdered and then it'll be out of our hooves. Once they find whoever killed him, I imagine they'll be put to death," Twilight said, "But that's according to the old laws. I'm certain the Princess would be content to lock them away for life."

"Oh good," Fluttershy said.

Before Fluttershy could say anything else Rainbow was pushing her out the door, "C'mon Fluttershy! I'm hungry and I don't want to eat alone."

"Have lunch at the farm," Applejack offered with a grin, "I'll stuff you so full'a food you won't be able to fly."

Rainbow looked at Applejack and was at a loss at what to do. She was about to concede when Spike belched out another scroll.

"Another letter," Twilight mused. She opened it up and began to read, "Dear Twilight, whatever you do, do not read this out loud to your... Oh oops," Twilight giggled. She kept reading in silence and after she was finished she looked right at Fluttershy and said, "Fluttershy, come into the kitchen. We need to talk. Now."