• Published 31st Oct 2011
  • 3,305 Views, 138 Comments

AppleShy Series - PatRoison



Applejack and Fluttershy start a relationship, but Fluttershy's past catches up with her.

  • ...
10
 138
 3,305

The Dashing Rainbow

“There. The garden is finished.” Fluttershy took a few steps back and admired her work. She turned to Angel, her loyal if grumpy companion and said, “Before you know it, there will be more carrots that you know what to do with. Doesn’t that sound wonderful, Angel Bunny?”

If the stubborn hare heard her, he didn’t show it. Instead, he pointed towards Fluttershy’s bridge. The yellow pegasus turned and smiled at the sight she saw.

Applejack stood on the small stone bridge, and once her eyes locked onto Fluttershy’s, she ran down to her girlfriend. Applejack gives Fluttershy a hug and a kiss on her cheek. “Howdy there sugarcube, I was able to take off a little early today.”

Fluttershy smiled and asked, “Does Big Macintosh mind that you’re coming to see me?”

Applejack shifted her hat and said, “Yeah about that. The thing is, sugarcube, I haven’t told my kin about us yet.”

Fluttershy turned away, “I. I understand.”

“Now hold on a second there.” Applejack put a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder, “I’m not saying that I’m ashamed of being with ya. I’m worried about how they’ll react to me being, you know.” She turned Fluttershy around so they were nose to nose, and she gave the meek pony a soft kiss. “You’re the sweetest pony I know, and I ain’t ashamed to be with you.”

Fluttershy smiled, “Thank you, Applejack. Would you like some tea?”

“That sounds great. I stopped by because I think it’s fine time we had our first date.”

“Oh ok. That sounds, nice.”

Both ponies entered the cottage and Fluttershy set the kettle to boil.

“Fluttershy? Is something wrong?”

The yellow pony turned around and said, “I’m sorry. I was just startled a little. I wasn’t expecting to go on a date tonight.”

“Did you have plans?”

“Oh no. I don’t have anything planned. A date sounds wonderful.” She poured the water into the cups and carried them to the table.

“Thank you,” Applejack said. She took a sip and remembered what Rainbow told her. “Say Fluttershy, you know that if you ever want to talk, you can, right?”

“Of course, but why do you ask?”

“It’s just that Rainbow told me that something real bad happened to you-“

“She did what?” Fluttershy’s mouth dropped and she began to shake.

Applejack grabbed Fluttershy, “Now sugarcube, all she told me was that you would tell me when you’re ready, and believe me, I’m gonna wait til you are.”

“What did she tell you?”

Applejack stroked her mane, “She told me about your old boyfriends. How one hit you and she got him for you. She also told me that one, um hurt you.”

“Do you know what she meant?” Fluttershy looked up at Applejack.

Applejack kissed her on the head, “I have an idea, but I don’t plan on prying it out of ya.”

Fluttershy sniffed and said, “Thank you, Applejack. It might take me a while to tell you what happened, but I promise that I will.”

“Let’s not worry about that right now. We have a date to get to.”

“This is going to be so exciting, but hopefully not too exciting.”

Applejack gave Fluttershy a kiss on the cheek, “You can be too much sometimes.” Both ponies began to make their way to Ponyville. Along the road from Fluttershy’s cottage to Ponyville, a cool breeze began to blow.

“It’s going to be a lovely evening,” Fluttershy said.

“Sure is. I heard the weather ponies are planning a storm later on this week.”

“Some rain could really help out my garden, but I hope there isn’t too much wind.”

They reached the outskirts of Ponyville and Applejack said, “Why don’t you just ask Rainbow to keep the wind down around your house?”

Fluttershy grabbed her mane with a foreleg and said, “Oh I couldn’t. It wouldn’t be right to take advantage of our friendship like that.”

“You wouldn’t be taking advantage of her, and besides, I don’t think she’d say no. Not to you.” Applejack laughed and said, “I don’t think anypony could say no to you.”

Fluttershy smiled and blushed as her stomach began to growl. “Oh my, I’m sorry. I guess I’m a little hungry.”

“Some grub does sound pretty good right now.”

The couple made their way to an outdoor restaurant and sat down at a table. A few moments later, a waiter walked up, “Good evening. May I take your orders?”

“Evening,” Applejack asked as she looked up to the town square clock and saw it as half past five. “I guess this’ll be a late lunch. “I’ll have a daisy sandwich. What’ll you have, Fluttershy?”

“Um, I’ll have a hay smoothie, if that’s alright.”

The waiter smiled, “Why can’t more ponies be as polite as you?” He left to the kitchen to get the orders ready.

Fluttershy blushed and turned redder when Applejack began laughing.

“I’m sorry, sugarcube, but it’s true. You have to be the most polite pony in all of Equestria.”

The waiter arrived with their orders, “Please, enjoy your meals.”

“Thank you very much, sir,” Fluttershy said.

"So where should we have our first date," Applejack asked.

"Um, maybe this was a bad idea."

"Sugarcube, it's only been a week. Kinda early to be throwing in the towel don't ya think?"

Fluttershy looked down, “You’re right. I’m just nervous.” She looked up to Applejack and the orange mare's warm smile caused her to return a small smile of her own. Fluttershy sat up in her chair and after taking a sip of her hay smoothie said, "Well, um, I know you don't like it, but we could try the new restaurant."

"Fluttershy I don't like none of that frou-frou stuff. That mess is for stuck up ponies who think they're better than everypony else," Applejack said. She put a hoof on Fluttershy’s cheek, "Hey now. I know you ain't no stuck up pony. I was generalizing." Applejack paused for a moment tapping her hoof to her chin, "Is that the right word?"

"Oh I know. Besides, this late we wouldn't be able to get a table. This is the first time we got to be together since lunch last week, and we might not have another chance for a while."

"I know sugarcube. I know," Applejack said. "Look I have an idea." She waited for Fluttershy to look at her and said, "Now you have to admit we ain't a normal couple. Folks clearly don't mind, but I think our first date shouldn't have to follow the normal rules either."

Fluttershy tilted her head and asked, "Um, what do you mean?"

"Let's do something different," Applejack proposed, "I don't mean something unromantic but something that wouldn’t be considered a proper first date."

Fluttershy thought about it for a moment. "How about we just spend the rest of the day together?"

"Well something like that, but more romantic." Applejack paused in thought, "I don’t know exactly, but I want to show you a great time."

"Ok," Fluttershy responded, "I really just want to spend time with you."

"And I want to spend time with you too, sugarcube," replied Applejack.

The couple finished their lunch and Applejack went to settle the bill. When she got back, both ponies began to wander around Ponyville.

“Look, Rarity’s boutique,” Fluttershy said.

“Well would you look at that. It sure is. Say, how’s about we keep on walking?”

“Did you and Rarity get into a fight?”

“Oh no nothing like that. I just want to spend time with you.” Applejack gave her an awkward smile.

“Applejack, please tell me the truth.”

Applejack sighed and said, “You’re right. I just know that Rarity will hijack our date. I know her heart will be in the right place, but I want it to be up to the two of us.”

Fluttershy hugged Applejack, “I understand. Though, I was hoping to invite you to the spa someday. I know you don’t like it, but I think it could be fun.”

“I’m not really up for the spa, but for you, I think I’ll manage.”

“Thank you,” Fluttershy said and hugged the orange pony.

“Let’s keep on wandering.”

The ponies soon found themselves at Sugarcube Corner, and made their way inside. Pinkie Pie was inside baking various treats. In spite of the fact that she couldn’t see the entrance of the shop, she still ran out of the kitchen covered in flour and hugged both ponies.

"Hey you two," Pinkie shouted. "Boy am I glad to see you."

Fluttershy and Applejack looked at each other confused before returning their eyes to Pinkie's.

"What do ya mean Pinkie," Applejack asked.

"Well," Pinkie took a deep breath and said, "I know that you two have only been together a week, but I haven't seen you together all that much. So I thought 'maybe they're too busy' and then I thought 'maybe they're mad at each other' but I figured that was silly since Fluttershy can't get mad at anypony and Applejack is waaaaaay too patient to be mad at somepony after only a week and then I thought 'I need a cake'." Pinkie finished slightly winded but with a large grin on her face.

"Oh ok," Fluttershy said, "well we have been very busy and this is the first day we had a chance to spend together. In fact, we were trying to figure out what to do for our first date."

"Oh I know! A p-" began Pinkie before Applejack interrupted her.

"Not a party. A date should be a bit private, and we just can't seem to decide what to do."

"Well that's easy silly," Pinkie said, "You just go to some fancy place where you pay twice as much for half the food."

"Yeah that ain't gonna happen," Applejack said not noticing the brief saddened look on Fluttershy's face.

"Hmm," Pinkie began thinking, "Why don't you ask Twilight what she thinks."

"Twilight," Applejack asked with a laugh, "As in Twilight Sparkle? Sugarcube she's a bookworm. What would she know about first dates?"

"Well then you could always ask Rarity I'm sure she-"

"You know what the library sounds like a great place to go," Applejack said with a smile. "Yeah, why I bet that Twilight Sparkle has some book that'd help out a lot." Applejack turned and was about to leave Sugarcube Corner when she noticed Fluttershy was not by her. She turned around and saw the pegasus sitting by the counter. "Um, Fluttershy? Ya coming," Applejack asked.

"Oh," Fluttershy said looking back at Applejack with a small smile, "Yes I'm sorry."

“Are you alright?”

“Um, yes I’m fine.”

Applejack put a hoof to her shoulder, “Now sugarcube, ya know I can tell when you ain’t being honest, so you can tell me what’s bothering you."

“I’m fine. Really.”

“Ok, but if you want to talk, I’m here.”

Fluttershy smiled and said, “Thank you.”

Applejack gave Fluttershy a nuzzle, and the pegasus giggled. They both left making their way towards Ponyville Library.

Celestia’s setting sun reminded the ponies that they needed to make their plans, or have to put their date off for another time. They picked up their pace as they passed the stalls that were closing up for the night.

Along the way, they passed the Sweet Apple Acres stand that was run by Caramel. Applejack stopped to check up on him.

“Howdy there Caramel how was business today?”

The tan colt smiled at Applejack and said, “Business was great as usual. Of course, Pinkie Pie bought most of the apples again. I’m just gonna tie everything down, and head back to the farm.”

“Alright, I’ll see you later. Thanks again for running the stand Caramel.”

“No problem Applejack. I’ll see you later. Take care Fluttershy.” The tan colt went back to work closing up the stall, and the girls continued to the library.

“He’s a hard working pony isn’t he,” Fluttershy asked.

“Yeah, he tries hard, but he can be a bit clumsy. It was Mac’s idea to have him run the stall. It was a great idea, since he’s really friendly.”

Applejack and Fluttershy made their way to the door and knocked. A few moments later, the door opened and Spike, Twilight's assistant, let them in.

"Hey guys" the baby dragon said, "Come on in. Twilight is a little busy right now helping Rainbow with some story she's throwing together."

"Thank you Spike," Applejack said, "We just came in to find a book that'd help us figure out where to go on our first date."

"Um, have you thought about maybe a nice restaurant?”

"No thank you," Applejack said.

Spike noticed Fluttershy's face and asked, "Fluttershy are you ok?"

"Oh," the shy pegasus said, "Yes I'm, um, fine."

Applejack turned to Fluttershy and said, "Sugarcube if you really want to go to a fancy restaurant just say so. It's not like I'll be mad at you."

Fluttershy sighed and said, "No but you still won't want to go."

"Now what is that supposed to mean," Applejack asked.

"Um, nothing. I'm sorry," Fluttershy said.

“So you’re gonna keep that from me too?” Applejack cringed and hugged Fluttershy, “I’m sorry, but do you really want to go to a fancy place?”

Fluttershy looked at Applejack and said, “I just want to spend time with you. I’m sorry.”

Applejack hugged her, “Don’t be sorry. We’ll think of something fun to do. I promise.” She turned and went to look for Twilight.

"Hey Fluttershy," Spike said, "If you really want to go to a nice place to eat you should just say so. I mean you and Applejack are girlfriends now and that means both of you decide not just her."

"I know. It's just that if I push what I want too much Applejack will stop liking me."

"If you making a suggestion makes her not like you anymore then I'm sorry, she has no business being with you," Spike said.

Fluttershy sniffed back some tears and nodded, "I know. Maybe this was a mistake."

"Don't say that. It'll just take time to get used to each other. You know AJ has a stubborn streak. Perhaps a fancy restaurant isn't such a great idea," Spike said.

"Hey Fluttershy come here," Rainbow Dash yelled.

Fluttershy let out a small squeak and turned to her friend with a smile, "Oh hello Rainbow. I heard you were working on a story."

"Yup," the blue pegasus said, "It's a story about the greatest hero ever..." Rainbow Dash paused for effect, "'The Dashing Rainbow!'"

"I see," Fluttershy said quietly trying to hide her laugh. Fortunately, Rainbow Dash did not hear it.

"Yeah I'll let you read it sometime," Rainbow said.

"Hmm, maybe you could read it to me."

“Why read it to you when you can read it yourself?"

"It'll be like a show and not a 'normal' show either."

"Well I could get set up here using Twilight's podium," Rainbow said. “And maybe lower the lights, so I can build tension.”

"Yes and I could pick up some food, and have a nice date," Fluttershy said.

"Wait you want this to be your first date," Rainbow asked. "Why don't you two go to a restaurant or something?"

"Would ponies quit suggesting that," Applejack asked. "Looks like this is a bust too Fluttershy. Twilight suggested the same thing. I'm outta ideas. You think of something sugarcube?"

Fluttershy swallowed hard, looked at Applejack and said, "Well I was thinking that since Rainbow finished her story and we want to something different for our date, I thought maybe we could stay here and listen to it. It would be like a show, um, kind of."

"Stay here and listen to Rainbow rant on about how an imaginary version of herself is better than everypony who ever lived," Applejack asked. "I'm sure you could come up with something better than that."

"Now hold on a second there," Rainbow said flying over to Applejack, "This story is pure gold. It's about a great hero who saves lives and isn't out for glory."

"It could be fun," Fluttershy pleaded, "I could get some food and we could enjoy it like a show."

"Well you have a point there," Applejack said, “Alright. We could try and enjoy listening to Rainbow's story. Besides, when we find out it ain't any good I can just make fun of her for it."

"Yay," Fluttershy cheered suddenly looking embarrassed she turned to Rainbow and said, "Oh not at you being made fun of Rainbow but the date."

"Yeah Fluttershy I got that," said Rainbow.

"I'm going to get some food," Fluttershy said walking over to Applejack and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be back soon."

Applejack kissed her back and said, "Ok sugarcube. Don't take too long. Ah figure old Rainbow won't take too kindly on waiting."

Fluttershy left the library and headed back to the restaurant where Applejack and she had lunch.

"You know AJ," Spike said, "I never thought I would say this about you but you're being a bit of a jerk today."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Would it kill you to go to a nice restaurant just once," Spike asked.

"I just don't like those places, ok?”

"Yeah but Fluttershy does. I mean you’re her girlfriend. Shouldn’t the two of you decide what you do?”

Applejack sighed, “You’re right. It's not that I don't want to make her happy. I just don't like those places cause that make me feel, well, inferior."

Rainbow Dash finished setting the podium in place and asked, "Why? It's just a restaurant and besides it's not like the opinions of those ponies matter anyway."

"I know that Rainbow. I do. I just can't help feel like I just don't belong there." She turned to Spike and said, "But you’re right. This is supposed to be our first date. I guess I just got caught up in wanting to take the lead is all. I'll take her to a nice place to eat soon, but for tonight she made the plans, and I'm gonna stick with 'em."

It was not long before Fluttershy came back with three large bags of food and a basket of drinks. Once she set them down on a table Applejack called to her.

"Fluttershy can I have a word with ya," Applejack called.

"Oh of course," Fluttershy said and followed Applejack into Twilight's kitchen.

Once they were both in the kitchen Applejack said, "Listen sugarcube I gotta apologize." Fluttershy was about to say something and Applejack gently placed her hoof to Fluttershy's mouth. "Now listen I gotta say this. The reason I don't like going to those fancy places is cause they make me feel like a nopony. I remember the time I spent with my kin over in Manehattan. Aunt and Uncle Orange were nice to me, and they really wanted me to get along with everypony. The rest of ‘em weren’t as kind. Some of my cousins would make fun of me on account of how I talk, and they made fun of anypony that did any kind of manual labor. I couldn’t believe that they even made fun of the weather ponies." She looked into Fluttershy's beautiful eyes.

The beautiful yellow pony was listening and holding Applejack’s hoof. There was no anger in her eyes, no annoyance over her behavior. Just warmth and concern shone in those eyes.

Applejack took a breath and continued, "I know who I am, and I know who I ain't. I'm a workin' pony. I’ve been that way my whole life. I work the land and I work hard. It's just that the ponies that go to those types of places don't work like I do. They have fancy degrees, work indoors all day, and feel entitled to make workin' ponies feel bad. So, Fluttershy I'm mighty sorry for not putting my stubborn pride aside for your happiness, and I promise our next date will be at a fancy restaurant cause sugarcube," Applejack got snout to snout with Fluttershy, "You like me for who I am and that’s more than enough for me." She then gave the pegasus a kiss which was interrupted by Rainbow.

"C'mon guys," Rainbow yelled, "I will start this show without you!"

"Well let's go hear Rainbow's story," Applejack said with a smile. She looked at Fluttershy and could tell she was having doubts about the decision to have this be their date. "Sugarcube," Applejack said, "As long as we are together it'll be a perfect date."

Fluttershy smiled and both headed to the library lobby where Rainbow Dash had set up Twilight Sparkle's podium. Rainbow Dash was about to begin when Fluttershy remembered something.

"Rainbow wait," the yellow pegasus said before flying over to her friend. She handed Rainbow Dash a small bag.

Rainbow Dash looked inside and asked, "Vanilla lemon drops?"

Fluttershy nodded and whispered, "I know they help you stay calm during public speaking."

Rainbow laughed and Fluttershy flew back to Applejack's side. Upon seeing her audience, a grand total of four, Rainbow felt a slight pang of panic. She tucked a lemon drop into her mouth and let the sweet and smooth flavor relax her. 'Thanks Fluttershy,' she thought to herself.

"Ahem. This is the story of the greatest hero who ever lived! The most honorable, loyal, powerful, and, um, awesome pony to grace the land. Wait, I mean the air! And her name was-"

"Wait a second Rainbow," Twilight said, "Your character is female?"

"Ughh, of course she's female. Why would I write a story about a colt?"

"Well if your character is female then you really should use the word 'heroine' instead of hero," Twilight said and smiled. She looked around the room and saw the others just staring at her and she asked, "What? It's true!"

"Fine, can I continue my story?"

Twilight nodded and Rainbow started over.

"This is the story of the greatest heroine who ever lived! The most honorable, loyal, powerful, and awesomest pony to grace the air! And her name was 'The Dashing Rainbow'!"

"What the hay kind of name is that," Applejack asked laughing, "That'd be like me writing one of these stories and calling myself 'The Jack of All Apples'."

"You know what," Rainbow yelled, "you're now the villain that gets embarrassed by The Dashing Rainbow! I'm gonna add you in right now and you'll-"

"Rainbow," Twilight said, "It's too late to make revisions."

"Fine, but you're gonna be in the next one!" She pointed a hoof at Applejack.

While all this was going on Fluttershy was passing out plates and drinks thinking to herself, 'I wish I had thick skin like those two. They always bicker but remain such good friends.' She handed Rainbow Dash her food and made her way back to Applejack giggling.

"What's so funny, Fluttershy," Applejack asked with a smile.

"Oh nothing," Fluttershy said, "I just pictured you as a bandit."

"Haha that's a good one Fluttershy," Rainbow said, "The Jack of All Apples will be an apple bandit."

"Now hold on a minute," Applejack shouted, "Why would I be an apple bandit?"

"Well how about a pineapple bandit then," Fluttershy said earning her another laugh from Rainbow.

"Man Fluttershy you have got to help piece together AJ's new character. It's gonna be so awesome!"

"Can we please get back to your story," Applejack asked pretending to be more annoyed than she really was. She couldn’t hide the fact that she was having a good time. Especially since Fluttershy was joining in.

"Of course," said Rainbow putting another vanilla lemon drop in her mouth. She flared her wings, raised her forelegs in the air for dramatic effect, and said, "And this heroine traveled all over the world to protect the innocent from the evils of the dreaded time travelling mastermind-"

"You kept the time travel," Twilight said, "I thought I told you that that is feasibly impossible!"

"You did," Rainbow said with a grin, "I just chose to ignore you."

"Ugh, you have no idea the level of energy that would be required to even hypothetically create a stable time portal. Which, by the way, can’t be formed in the first place. Here I'll show you." Twilight stood up and her horn flared up causing a black board to slide forward and some chalk to levitate. She proceeded to create complex equations on the board and would have kept at if Applejack did not stop her.

"Twi," Applejack said, "I know you're trying to help and all but I would like to enjoy a science fiction story without needing a math degree."

"Fine," Twilight said, "I'll just write a farming story exalting the benefits of spreading salt while you plow."

"Now hold on a second there," Applejack said, "You can't do that! It's just bad for the soil and whatever you plant won't grow."

"Applejack," Twilight said with a grin, "I would like to enjoy a farming tale without needing years of experience doing so."

"Hearty-har," Applejack said and sat back down.

Rainbow just stared at her audience and when they went silent she said, "Ok then. The dreaded time travelling mastermind of Dr. Strange Hoof! Now the story begins when The Dashing Rainbow was just a filly. Dr. Strange Hoof knew that this particular filly would spell doom for him in the future, so he sent his dumbest henchpony to-"

"Sorry Rainbow, but if this Dr. Strange Hoof was so smart why in the world would he send his dumbest henchpony," Applejack asked.

"You never send out your toughest henchpony first. You build up and build up. That's little something called 'suspense'."

"Fine," Applejack said with a wave of her hoof, "Just asking."

"Ok," Rainbow began again, "sent his dumbest henchpony to kill the young filly before any of her supremely awesomely awesome awesomeness came to be." She paused and glanced around the room expecting to be interrupted yet again and when nopony did she continued, "The henchpony lurked into The Dashing Rainbow's home and crept up to her crib. He had a horrible dagger made of the worst metal ever, 'Notveryniceium'!"

Fluttershy couldn’t help but laugh and was about to apologize when she saw Rainbow Dash shrug.

"Yeah I couldn't come up with and evil enough sounding metal," Rainbow said. "Anyway, the henchpony raised the dagger in the air and was about to stab the greatest thing with four legs and wings when suddenly, The Dashing Rainbow flew out of her crib and punched the henchpony with a right so hard it created an instant Sonic Rainboom!"

"A Sonic Rainboom?" Twilight shouted putting a hoof to her face. "Even if it was possible to break the sound barrier with a punch, never mind from a filly, do you have any idea what kind of damage that would cause the surrounding area?"

"Twi," Applejack said, "I know this all sounds wrong to you, but I think Rainbow put a lot of work into this story. Let's just try and suspend out belief for a little while."

"Fine," Twilight said then mumbled something to herself about scientific fallacies.

Fluttershy yawned and laid down. She rested her head against Applejack’s leg, and she moved away when Applejack nudged her. “I’m sorry,” she said.

“It’s alright. Come here,” Applejack said.

Fluttershy saw that Applejack had laid down on her side and motioned for her to join her. Fluttershy cuddled up next to her and wrapped Applejack's leg around her.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy said.

Applejack nuzzled Fluttershy.

Rainbow cleared her throat and continued, "Anyway, yeah so an instant Sonic Rainboom shot throughout the house and blasted the henchpony back into the future into Dr. Strange Hoof's office. The good, no wait, the bad doctor," Rainbow let out a chuckle feeling pretty clever, "Did not approve of his weakest minion failing at his given task, and banished him to the land of pony eating cupcakes!"

Rainbow turned to the next page and looked at the ponies and said with a shrug, "That was Pinkie's idea." She put another vanilla lemon drop in her mouth and continued, "The evil Dr. Strange Hoof knew that he would be unable to defeat his foe so easily, and simply decided to wait until she was older to strike again with-"

"What? Now that don' make a lick of sense," Applejack said, "If his weakest couldn't take out this Dashing Rainbow when she were a baby, why would he wait till she was more capable?"

"Um AJ," Twilight asked, "What happened to suspending our belief'?"

"Look I understand what you mean Twi'. It's just that this is really making no sense at all," Applejack said. She looked at Rainbow Dash and said, "I don't mean to hurt your feeling's none sugarcube, but this story is just plain broken."

"Oh please, you wouldn't a good story if it bucked you in the head," Rainbow shot back. "This story is pure concentrated awesome and you simply can't handle it, but that's ok because I am gracious and-"

"Gracious," Applejack said with a laugh, "Rainbow you are many things but gracious is not one of them."

"I'm ten times more gracious than you," Rainbow challenged, "I could out grace you with both wings bound and all four legs tied."

"I'm game though I'd just like to see ya'll tied up again."

Both ponies were glaring at each other until some laughter snapped them out of it. Applejack looked over and saw Fluttershy covering her face with her hooves and laughing into her mane.

"You’re laughing at me," Applejack asked, "I can't believe this. My own girlfriend is laughing at me."

"Not just you," Fluttershy said in between laughs, "Rainbow too."

"Me," Rainbow shouted, "Why?"

Fluttershy kept laughing for a bit longer then wiped her eyes with her hoof. She looked at both Rainbow and Applejack and said with a smile, "This is the best show I’ve ever been to!"

Applejack and Rainbow Dash stared at each other for a while before cracking into giggles and then full on laughter.

"Yeah I imagine this must've been quite a sight for ya'll huh sugarcube," Applejack asked the meek pegasus giving her a squeeze with her leg and a kiss on the head.

Fluttershy giggled and said, "Yes I’m having a great time, but I would really like to hear Rainbow's story. I know she worked very hard on it."

"Alright sugarcube," Applejack said, "Ah promise to keep mah mouth shut." Applejack smiled at Fluttershy who grinned back and gave her a kiss on the lips. After they pulled away, Fluttershy had a small sly smile on her face.

"I guess you didn't keep your mouth shut for very long," she said blushing.

Applejack turned bright red and chuckled, "I guess I didn't. What do you say we take a little break? Every show should have an intermission."

“That’s a good idea,” Twilight said. “I need to get Spike to bed.” Nopony noticed that Spike fell asleep, and the purple unicorn carried her number one assistant to his bed.

Fluttershy turned to Rainbow and said, “Rainbow can I talk to you in the kitchen, please?”

“Uh, sure Fluttershy.”

The ponies entered the kitchen and Fluttershy said, “How could you?”

Rainbow took a step back and asked, “What’s wrong?”

“You told Applejack what happened to me?” Fluttershy began to shake as painful memories came back to her. “I just want to forget. Is that too much to ask?”

“Fluttershy,” Rainbow said. “I’m sorry, but you’re never going to forget what that bastard did to you.” She hugged her friend, “I know it hurts, but you cringe every time any pony gets too close to you. You can’t live in fear, and Applejack will be good for you.” She turned Fluttershy’s face so they were facing each other, “Besides, we both know that if Applejack didn’t know about your past, she wouldn’t know about it until you two would, you know…”

Fluttershy blushed, “You’re right. I’m sorry. I’ll be able to tell her someday. She promised not to push me into telling her.”

“Great,” Rainbow said, “Now let’s finish up this story.”

The ponies went back to the lobby and Fluttershy laid down with Applejack. She nuzzled the orange pony and kissed her cheek.

Rainbow Dash looked at the couple feeling jealous of their new relationship, but she cleared her throat and said, "I can just give this to you Fluttershy so you can read it at home or something."

"Oh no, I want you to read it. You were so excited and I want to hear more."

"Ok but no more interruptions," Rainbow said scanning the room looking at Twilight Sparkle and Applejack. Both of those ponies nodded their heads in agreement and the story continued without pause.

"Ok where was I," Rainbow said looking through her story, "Oh yeah! The evil Dr. Strange Hoof knew that he would be unable to defeat his foe so easily, and simply decided to wait until she was older to strike again with a slightly stronger henchpony. This henchpony was to strike just after The Dashing Rainbow got her cutie mark. It was the mark of awesome! Specifically, it was a cloud with a rainbow lightning bolt coming from it."

"Well, this henchpony was a unicorn. A unicorn sworn to uphold the cause of evil! She had no mercy for the happy, but she had a great weakness. She was a Rainbowphobic!" Rainbow looked at her audience and said, "That means she was scared of rainbows." She saw Twilight's eye twitch and smiled when the unicorn stayed quiet.

"Ok," Rainbow said, "moving on. Well, this unicorn had a special way with magic. She could conjure up illusions that baffled the simple minded. All except one filly bearing the cutie mark of pure awesome!"

"The henchpony, simply called The Supposedly Great and Powerful Trixie, came to The Dashing Rainbow's home town to do her job, and her cover was as a traveling magician." Rainbow saw the looks on the ponies' faces and said with a smirk, "You know she was really scared of me, right?" None of the ponies responded and she continued.

"'Simple foals it is I, the Supposedly Great and Powerful Trixie, and I will embarrass you and make you cry!' said the unicorn with a nasally voice and poor posture," Rainbow turned the page and smiled before continuing, "The unicorn then issued an open challenge to any and all who would dare. She shot her Loserbeams out of her eyes as she scanned the audience turning anypony who crossed the beam's path into a rambling lunatic. The beam passed until it came in contact with the one, the only, The Dashing Rainbow!"

"The beam reversed polarity and sent pure Loser back to Trixie, but Trixie was so much of a loser already that she absorbed the power and increased in loserocity one hundred times over! But a great light was cast down upon The Dashing Rainbow illuminating her form surrounded by the ramblings of the insane! She leapt onto the stage and with a flick of her mane showcasing the full spectrum of the rainbow before Trixie! Trixie was so overcome with fear that her mind immediately melted and she vanished into a puff of smoke. All the ponies who were struck with her Loser Beam instantly recovered and The Dashing Rainbow was named the honorary mayor-for-life of the newly renamed Awesome Town!"

Rainbow Dash put the last page down and looked at her friends. The first one to speak was Applejack.

"Well Rainbow I hafta admit," Applejack said, "You certainly know how to spin a yarn."

"You mean it AJ," Rainbow asked.

"Of course I do! You got some kinda talent there," Applejack said with a smile.

Fluttershy yawned and looked at the clock, "Oh my! It's awfully late. I should be getting home."

"Yeah I reckon I should be moseying along myself," Applejack said.

"Hey if you want I could read you my next chapter," Rainbow Dash said.

"I would love to hear it Rainbow," Fluttershy said, "Maybe you can stop by tomorrow and we can work on a certain pineapple bandit." She said that with a wink to Applejack and got a playful nudge in return.

"Ok ok ok," Applejack said, "Good night everypony."

Applejack and Fluttershy left the library and were standing in the street. After a few minutes Applejack spoke.

"Well this is awkward," She said. She looked at Fluttershy and said, "Well, um who walks who home? I mean it would be easy if one of us were a stallion, but seeing as we're both mares I dunno who's gonna do it."

Fluttershy looked at Applejack and said, "I'll walk you home. After all, I chose the activity."

Applejack took a few steps back, and bowed saying with a smile, "If you would kindly see to it that this here filly would arrive to her home safely I would be most grateful."

Fluttershy took a few steps back, bowed as well, and said with a smile, "I would, um, be honored to see such a beautiful and delicate pony escorted home."

Both ponies stayed in their respective bows for a minute before looking up and laughing. They nuzzled each other and headed towards Sweet Apple Acres.

"Fluttershy," Applejack said.

"Yes?”

"Thank you for a great first date. I would’ve never thought to listen to Rainbow rant on about herself and have a good time, but I really did. Oh and I meant it when I said our next date will be at a very nice restaurant."

"We don't have to," Fluttershy said softly, "I had no idea those places made you feel so bad."

"I have you sugarcube and that's all that matters," Applejack said with a smile.

“We have each other, and maybe one day we’ll be able to share everything.”

“That sounds mighty nice.”

The couple arrived at the Apple Family home and Applejack said, "I said I would be grateful and please allow me to repay your kindness."

"Your, um, beauty in the moonlight is, um, all the thanks I need," Fluttershy said her cheeks turning red.

"Just kiss me," Applejack said and kissed Fluttershy. With nopony there to interrupt, they shared the kiss for quite a while. It was not until Fluttershy had to gasp for air that they finally pulled apart.

"Good night App...," Fluttershy began, "No. Good night, um, sweetie?"

Applejack laughed, "Yeah ah guess we gotta come up with some pet names for each other. After all how else are we gonna gross out our friends."

Fluttershy laughed before leaning and kissing Applejack on the cheek and began walking home.

The Apple home was dark, and Applejack made her way to her room. She looked out the window and saw Fluttershy walking towards her home, but she did something that Applejack didn’t expect. The timid pegasus flapped her wings and took flight. Applejack had seen Fluttershy fly many times, but this time Fluttershy seemed to be flying at a faster pace than normal. ‘Maybe she’s feeling a little more confident,’ Applejack thought. She felt something inside her and she knew what it was. Her heart was beating so hard and she knew she wanted more from that little pegasus. "Not yet," she said to herself, "I'll wait until Fluttershy is ready and it will be a perfect night."

The orange mare made her way to her bed and fell asleep almost instantly having had the best first date in her life.