• Published 31st Oct 2011
  • 3,305 Views, 138 Comments

AppleShy Series - PatRoison



Applejack and Fluttershy start a relationship, but Fluttershy's past catches up with her.

  • ...
10
 138
 3,305

Trials and Tribulations Part 3

“Ok Jackie, we’re almost there. What’s the plan?”

Applejack turned to the pink pony, “I should go in and enter this ‘event’, and ya’ll stay outside and watch the crowd.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea? I mean, wouldn’t it be better to go in together?”

Applejack shook her head, “No. This is my mess, and I need to clean it up.”

“And just how is getting hurt going to win back Fluttershy?”

The orange pony looked at her friend, “Ah, ah’m not in any real danger, Pinkie. This is a bar, but there’s bound to be security on the place.” She put a hoof on Pinkie’s shoulder, “Ah ain’ suicidal. If it’s one thing ah plan on doing is settin’ things right with Fluttershy, and if that means watching her be happy with Rainbow, then ah’ll do what ah have to.”

Pinkie hugged Applejack, “I know that Fluttershy will take you back. She’s not the kind of pony to say, ‘I love you,’ and not mean it.”

Applejack smiled, “Thanks Pinkie. I hope you’re right.” She looked outside, “Looks like we’re here.”

The carriage landed and both ponies disembarked. The bar was closer to a saloon and on another day, Applejack would be right at home. Tonight, her sights were set on meeting this contact. From the outside, the bar was plain. There were groups of ponies standing outside, and standing outside the entrance were two large stallions. ‘Ah reckon those boys are the bouncers,’ Applejack thought.

Applejack turned to Pinkie, “Remember, keep an eye on the crowd, and if you see anypony suspicious, follow ‘em.”

Pinkie nodded and said, “Ok, but I thought I was in charge here. After all, I’m the agent. You’re the deputy.”

Applejack grinned, “Right. Ah’m expendable. You can just up and deputize somepony else.” She cleared her throat, “Well, let’s get into place. I don’ wanna keep this contact waitin’.”

“Okie dokie, by the way, what name are you going to use?”

Applejack thought for a moment, “Well, we need to show ‘em that we mean business, so ah’m gonna take a chance and hope this pony’s interest in the Wonderbolts is strong enough that they know about their future.” She smiled at Pinkie and walked into the bar.

---

“What will happen to me in, in there?”

“What?” Dexter Hoofstrom looked up from his various appeals and request for a case dismissal, “Oh in prison? I don’t you’ll have anything to worry about.” He tapped his chin with a hoof, “But you are pretty, you may have to stab the first pony you see.”

“What?”

“I’m joking. Of course, I could try and get you an extended stay in the infirmary, but that wouldn’t be for very long.” He flashed Fluttershy a smile, “You’ll be fine. Just keep your head down and be careful.” Dexter let out a happy laugh, “I wouldn’t worry. You have a reputation of being a coldblooded killer to protect you.”

Fluttershy looked down, “I had a reason for what I did…”

“Stop right there. Now I know you want to talk, but now is not the time. Let’s just say that anything you say can and will be twisted to serve their ends.”

“What do you mean?”

Dexter tilted his head, “You really think these ponies are looking to protect you? As far as they’re concerned, you are a killer and don’t even deserve a trial. It’s my job to protect you, and I plan to do whatever it takes. Are you comfortable with that?”

“No.”

“Close enough,” Dexter went back to his files, “It was really more of a rhetorical thing anyway. Besides, if you bite it, I don’t get paid. It’s in my interests to take care of you.”

“Well, um you seem to be good at your job.” Fluttershy tried to smile, “I just hope everything will turn out all right.”

“I’m sure it will, but there is something that’s been bothering me for a while.” Dexter pulled out some notes, “Just how did you and Grey meet? From your file, I see that you were Grey’s fillyfriend years ago, but there is nothing on how the two of you met.”

“Oh, well, it’s not important.”

“I think it is. Grey is from one of the wealthiest families in Canterlot, and you, I’m sorry, but you were living well below the poverty line. You can see how it can be twisted into a scheme?”

“Um, no.”

Dexter smiled, “It’s easy. The D.A. will announce to the jury that you were so sick of being poor that you plotted to ponynap Grey Ring and ransom him. That requires old Storm Ring to show grief for his son, and that is something I would pay to see.”

“You know Storm Ring?” Fluttershy shifted nervously and glanced out the window. She saw a blue figure flying alongside the carriage, ‘Oh Rainbow Dash. Why do you keep insisting on protecting me? You didn’t know what kind of monster he was…”

“So are you going to tell me how you two met?”

“Oh my,” Fluttershy realized that she was not paying attention to Dexter, “I’m sorry. Yes, we met in flight school. She offered to help me…”

“What the hay are you talking about? Not to put too fine a point on it kid, but you more than anypony else knows that Grey was not a filly.”

Fluttershy raised an eyebrow to Dexter’s blunt statement but responded, “Oh, well Grey and I were introduced.”

“By who?”

“Oh, well I’d rather not say. Sorry.”

Dexter rubbed his face with a hoof, “Listen Fluttershy, I personally don’t care how you met the pony, but I need to know everything so the D.A. doesn’t twist the facts around. That’s my job.” He offered another smile.

Fluttershy sighed, “Ok. You have to understand, she didn’t know that he was a monster. She didn’t want me to be alone anymore, and maybe not depend on her so much.” She saw that Dexter’s patience was running out, “Rainbow Dash introduced us.”

---

Alongside the carriage but far enough to avoid detection, Rainbow Dash was congratulating herself on her brilliant scheme, ‘You stupid pony. Just how are you going to protect her while she’s in prison? Yeah you can break in, but Fluttershy is taking the heat for ‘ponynapping’ you so you can stay out of prison.’

The blue pegasus kept the carriage in sight and never got too close. At one point, she saw Fluttershy look out the window, and for a brief moment, it seemed as though the shy pony spotted her. Rainbow felt her heart skip a beat as though she weren’t supposed to be seen. Applejack’s words were also fresh in her mind.

“She’s wrong. I don’t want Fluttershy. Not like that.” The cold was beginning to set in, “I’d better find someplace to sleep. I’ll see if I can visit her in the morning.”

Rainbow found a thick cloud and covered herself tightly. She silently prayed to Celestia that she would not have any nightmares tonight, but it proved to be a futile prayer.

---

”Great. I’m back in this place?” Rainbow looked around the empty space and shouted, “Ok, you can come out! I’m not in the mood to wait.” She did not have to wait for long.

“You’re no fun. Oh well, I can still scare you some more.”

Before Rainbow appeared another Rainbow Dash, only this one was darker and her colors were faded.

Rainbow Dash walked up to the faded spectre, “Ok you’re here. Now what lie are you going to spout at me this time?”

The spectre Dash put on a look of feigned hurt, “I never lied to you, Dashie. I’ve shown you just what kind of monster you really are. You abandon all of your friends and love watching them gettin…”

“Shut up,” Rainbow screamed at the spectre, “In case you forgot, I’m the element of loyalty for a reason. I never abandon my friends, and before you start, I did not abandon Fluttershy. It wasn’t my fault, and you can’t change my mind.”

Spectre Dash smiled, “Fine, you win. You are not to blame for what happened, but you’re forgetting something.”

“Oh yeah? And what’s that?”

The spectre grinned, “You’re the reason he chose her in the first place. You thought he would make a good coltfriend for her.”

Rainbow took a few staggered steps back as memories flooded the room. She saw herself spending time with her father at the weather factory he worked and saw Grey wandering around the rainbow tanks. He seemed rather friendly at first but not very interesting.

“Oh my gosh, I did introduce them. I thought he was a shy pony, and maybe if they were together she could be protected.”

“And you wouldn’t have to bother with her pathetic flank anymore?”

Rainbow lunged at the spectre and struck her hard across the cheek, “No! She was my friend. I only wanted her to be happy, and…”

“And,” the spectre asked as she rose to her hooves rubbing her cheek and grinning, “Come on, finish it. You wanted something else. Something for yourself. Say it.”

“No.”

The spectre pressed her face against Rainbow’s, “Say it!”

Rainbow pushed back, “No! It’s not important.”

The spectre shoved Rainbow to the floor and screamed in her face, “Say it!”

“Fine! I wanted her to leave me alone. I hated her, ok? I never wanted to be her protector or savior.” Rainbow slowly rose to her hooves as the spectre slowly disappeared.

“That’s enough for tonight. Oh, and Dashie? You may want to clean yourself up a bit.”

All that remained of the spectre was a slight echoing laugh. Rainbow woke up and gently rubbed her face. She cried once again knowing what she did. All she could manage was a hoarse whisper, “I’m sorry Fluttershy. I didn’t mean to hurt you.” She laid back down on the cloud and decided that it would be best to stay awake until the sun came up.

---

Canterlot Prison was both heavily guarded and cautious. Along with powerful unicorns keeping the fences secure, many pegasi made certain that there were no clouds for a minimum of one mile in any direction. Fluttershy’s carriage was almost at the landing strip for new inmates.

“So you’re friend set you up with a serial rapist? Did you make her mad or something?”

Fluttershy sighed, “I don’t she knew that he was, um a serial rapist. She probably wanted me to be happy.”

“Right. Anyway, let’s keep that little detail to ourselves until we need it. Do you trust her?”

Fluttershy looked Dexter in the eye, “Of course I trust her. She’s one of my best friends. I know her reasons for having Grey and me being together were honest.”

Dexter smiled, “Just how do manage to remain so positive?”

Fluttershy blushed, “Um, I have faith in my friends. I know that they will help me as best they can.”

“Friends are a great thing. I prefer money.” Dexter looked out the window, “We’re here. Try and look menacing.” A smirk appeared on his face, “Let me see your war face.”

Fluttershy snarled as best she could and frowned when Dexter began laughing.

“That is the worst war face ever, unless you plan on killing the inmates from cuteness.” He stopped laughing after a moment, “Ok let’s get you inside, and remember that we’ll be moving you to the infirmary. That should provide you with adequate protection.”

“If you say so,” Fluttershy replied, “When will my trial start?”

“I’ll stall for as long as I can. Word is that your friends are pulling out all the stops to help you.”

Fluttershy smiled, “Maybe you should invest more in friends than bits.”

Dexter grinned and opened the door. Two earth pony guards were waiting at the landing zone.

“Prisoner is ready for transfer,” a brown guard gave Fluttershy a mean glance, “Get moving.”

Fluttershy let out a quiet squeak, and stayed close to Dexter. The prison was dark and foreboding. She tried to keep her head down but could not stop shivering. Fear overwhelmed her and it took all of her strength not to bolt in terror. She simply kept as close to Dexter as she could and hoped the infirmary was close.

“Relax, Fluttershy. We’re here.” A unicorn nurse opened the door and looked Fluttershy over.

“Well, you certainly don’t look like a heartless killer.” She saw Fluttershy’s leg and her demeanor changed, “Oh my, you’re leg looks awful!” She turned to the brown guard, “Don’t just stand there. Get her on the bed.”

“She can walk just fine.”

The nurse glared at the guard, “This is my infirmary, and I say put the patient on the bed.”

The earth pony grumbled and lifted Fluttershy onto his back. He then walked her to a free bed and placed her as gently as he cared to. “There now don’t move. I don’t want to carry your worthless flank again.”

Fluttershy nodded slowly and settled into her bed as best she could. She smiled softly when Dexter came up to her.

“Ok kid, get settled. I’ll handle things from here. I imagine that after running around for the past few days you’d love a rest.”

Fluttershy nodded, “Um, thank you.” She leaned back and looked at the ceiling, but she turned to her side when she heard a familiar voice.

“Well, this place used to be kind of cool. Since when did they allow dweebs in here?”

Fluttershy stared and could only stammer, “G-Gilda?”

---

“Are you two really going to continue this trip in silence?” Spike sat between Rarity and Twilight Sparkle. Both were looking out the window, but the mood was tense. Spike tried again to lighten the mood, “Just remember why we’re headed to the Royal Library. Fluttershy needs our help.” He gently nudged Rarity who glanced down at him with annoyance, but her face softened at the hurt in his eyes.

“Oh Spike, I’m sorry. You’re absolutely right.” She turned to Twilight, “Twilight, I know this may not mean much right now, but I promise to aid you in any way I can.”

Twilight grumbled something and then yelped in pain. She snapped to Spike, “You bit me!”

Spike just grinned, “Well, I said I would make sure you’d behave.”

“Oh yeah? What if Rarity ‘misbehaves’?”

“She’s behaving, so there is nothing to worry about, is there?”

Twilight sighed in defeat, “Ok Rarity. I promise to keep my opinions to myself, if at least to keep my flank intact.” She gently rubbed her side where Spike nipped her.

Rarity smiled, “Still, I think it would be best if we didn’t speak for this trip. Not that I don’t wish to, but anything might start a fight, and if Spike stays true to his word,” Rarity gently tapped the wooden frame of their carriage, “I think this would be a shorter trip than intended.”

Twilight smiled and laughed softly, “Deal, but we really should talk when we land at Canterlot. There are a lot of books in the Royal Library, and we really have to pull together to find what we need.”

“Agreed,” Rarity looked out the window again smiling now, ‘I think we’re back on track to being friends again.’

Ahead lay the capital of Equestria and the home of the Princesses Celestia and Luna. The towering castle was majestic with its private garden and massive library. Twilight Sparkle spent hours within its halls. Once she had an impromptu camp out there just to catch up on some practice studying once.

‘This will be the best way to help Fluttershy,’ Twilight thought, ‘If Rarity and me don’t kill each other first.’ She rubbed her side and smiled as she saw her mentor waiting for them. To her surprise, Princess Luna was also waiting for them.

Once the ponies and baby dragon got off of their carriage, they bowed before the royal sisters.

“Welcome ponies. I know you are in a hurry to gather materials for Fluttershy’s defense, so I won’t keep you.” Princess Celestia turned to her sister, “Luna has offered to aid in the search. It’s fitting since she wrote most of the old laws.”

Luna smiled at Twilight, “Hello again Twilight Sparkle. We, I mean, I look forward to working together to save the element of kindness, though I would prefer a more direct approach.”

“Sister please, we have been over this. I can’t risk the political fallout.”

Luna turned to her sister, “That is all you care about. Political fallout will be the least of our worries should Discord break free one day. The elements of harmony will only work if all six are together. Fluttershy can’t help from the grave.”

“I have asked the judge to remove the death penalty from the possible sentence. That way if any catastrophe emerges that calls for the elements, she can assist.”

“And then be sent back to her hole? Sister, this is not some random pony off the street. This is one of the elements of harmony. I owe my freedom to her. Yes, we shared a less than warm reception, but I read the reports from Twilight. I know how brave she can be. We must take direct action instead of working through the law.”

Celestia rubbed her head with a hoof, the headache she had earlier was returning, “Luna, you wrote those laws. Is it really fair to hold her above the rest of the citizens?”

Luna glared at her sister and said in a raised voice, “It’s not about what’s fair. It’s about what is right. I have just as much authority as you do sister, and there is nothing stopping me from going to that prison and ordering Fluttershy’s release.”

“Then why haven’t you?”

Luna turned to Rarity who quietly asked the question.

“Forgive me princess, but if you have the power to order her release, then why haven’t you done so?”

Celestia sighed, “Because she does not wish to risk an incident with the nobility.” She motioned for the ponies to follow. Spike jumped onto Twilight’s back and everypony followed the princesses inside.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if you haven’t seen the pamphlets floating around. They seem to be in Canterlot only.” Celestia levitated a black pamphlet that read, Return Nightmare Moon! Why choose the lesser evil?

“They were clearly going for a humorous effect, but this has had a severe strain on Luna.” Celestia hugged her little sister, “You have always been a pony of action, but this time we must bide our time. I want to aid Fluttershy as well, but if we force our power, this movement could get the momentum needed for a civil war.”

“Civil war? Isn’t that a bit drastic,” Spike hopped off of Twilight’s back, “Princess, wouldn’t some protesting be more likely?”

“It’s possible, Spike, but I have to be ready for the worst.”

Twilight was not paying attention as she was reading the pamphlet, “Princess, I don’t think this is a minor threat. This is clearly written with the intention of being read by a wide range of audiences.” She held the pamphlet up, “The language is written simply but the pony that wrote this did so carefully. The highly educated won’t feel that they are being spoken down to and lesser-educated ponies will feel as though they are part of a greater struggle. I think that you need to find who is funding them.”

“I agree,” Luna said firmly, “I will not again be that monster, and I fear that those behind this ‘movement’ are quite wealthy. They could easily be in a position of power to raise a private army to march on the palace.” She shook her head, “Celestia and I could prevent entry of such an army, but they could target the elements themselves. In the event that they can’t get one of the elements, there is always the families. It’s all a way to get at us.”

“I see.” Twilight looked down at the ground, “Then we must work that much harder to win Fluttershy’s case. That was all of us can work to find out who is behind this.” She smiled at Luna, “Princess, I would be honored if you would help us.”

Luna nodded, “Of course, Twilight. I will help out as best I can, but if things look dire, I will not hesitate to do what I must.”

“Thank you princess,” Rarity bowed cringing slightly.

“It’s a good thing you haven’t asked us about our bruises,” Twilight laughed nervously.

Celestia shook her head, “I can imagine what happened. Luna and myself had a similar argument, and it doesn’t appear to be anywhere near a resolution.”

“Guess Fluttershy is making everypony realize how special she is, huh?” Spike climbed onto Rarity’s back and was relieved when she smiled at him.

“She is a very special pony,” Rarity agreed, “Now, let’s get started on finding aid for our dear friend.”

The ponies nodded in agreement and headed to the Law Wing of the Royal Library.

---

“You’re kind of young to be coming to a bar,” one of the bouncers said as he sized Applejack up. “Though I gotta admit, you’re kinda cute.”

“Thanks, mister. Listen, I’m of age to go in, and don’t you worry none. I can handle mah liquor.”

The other bouncer turned to her, “Really now? What’s your poison?”

“Whiskey mostly. Though I’ll take a beer now and again.”

“A pony after my own heart.” The first bouncer opened the door, “Go on in, but be careful now. This isn’t always a safe place.”

Applejack nodded and reached to give the stallion a tip of her hat, and sighed softly when she remembered that it was no longer there. “Thanks for the warning. I’ll be sure to behave.”

The inside of the bar was dark with smoke and smashed out lights. The air was heavy with alcohol and the dim lights did the food a favor as nopony could really tell what they were eating. Applejack made her way to the bar and placed a few bits on the counter.

The bartender walked up to her, “What’ll ya have?”

“Whiskey. Straight.”

The bartender nodded and poured the drink, “Here ya go.”

“Thank you. Say I heard that there was a kind of event that goes on here, but I never got much information beyond that. Can you fill me in?” She took a sip of her whiskey and smiled warmly at the bartender.

“Well, I think it’s kind of invitation only, but since you have a taste for whiskey, I think you can get in. It’s really simple.” The bartender let out a laugh, “Has to be seeing as how everypony is drunk during it.” He wiped down that section of counter, “The rules are simple. If you’ll look over there, you’ll see a line of barrels. You have to down a glass of whiskey and weave through them. Once you reach the other side, you’ll down another glass of whiskey and repeat the process. You continue until there is only one pony left standing. Cost of entry is thirty bits.”

Applejack nodded, “Alright then, count me in. It sounds like fun.” She went to take another sip of whiskey but the bartender stopped her.

“Better not handicap yourself now. I’ll just place this at the first barrel for you.”

Applejack smiled, “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it. Under what name will you be going under”

“Rainbow Dash.”

The bar tender looked at Applejack, “I take it that’s not your real name?”

“I got mah reasons.”

“Fair enough,” the bartender walked up to the scoreboard and wrote ‘Rainbow Dash’. ‘Rainbow Dash’ was number four, right underneath, Plotlover, Plotsticker, and Shake-That-Plot.

“A classy bunch,” Applejack said and got into position. She knew better than to scan the crowd for fear of spooking the contact, ‘Pinkie’ll spot ‘em. That pony is smarter than ah give her credit for.’

Sure enough, Pinkie’s keen eyes were scanning the crowd, and when the bartender wrote ‘Rainbow Dash’ on the scoreboard, Pinkie spotted a unicorn suddenly get up and make their way to the back. ‘Gotcha,’ she thought with a smile on her face, ‘I’ll show you what happens when you try and hurt one of my friends.’ She looked over to where Applejack was and saw her getting into position.

“Now would be a good time to follow that unicorn.” Pinkie followed the unicorn down a side alley and into a small building. Inside she heard the unicorn speaking to another pony.

“Ok just who the hay is ‘Rainbow Dash’?”

“You fool; she’s the first non-alicorn to perform a sonic rainboom. That’s a big deal. That pony must be after the contract.”

“Then I’d better get in there and show her that we don’t share.”

“Good thinking. Now number three is competing under the name ‘Shake-That-Plot’. He’s outside, taking care of business. Deal with him and take his spot.”

Pinkie heard heavy hoofsteps and took cover.

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll deal with this pony and if I’m feeling generous, she may only wind up paralyzed.” The pony let out a laugh and walked out of the building.

Pinkie caught a glimpse of him, and he was the biggest pony she ever saw. ‘I didn’t know pegasi could get that big.’ This pony was easily a head taller than Big Mac, and he looked mean. Pinkie waited until the unicorn left and made her way to the door. ‘I better warn Jackie somehow.’ She reached the door and found it to be locked. “That’s not good.” She tried to look around and saw no means of opening the door. The only items inside were straw, jars of something that smelled bad, and rocks. Pinkie absentmindedly lifted them and looked them over. “No gems in these.” She dropped the rocks and noticed a small spark form when they struck. A grin appeared on her face as a plan began to form in her mind.

“Alright patrons, the contest will begin in a few minutes. We’re just waiting for contestants number two and three to arrive.”

Applejack was in position and ready to win. ‘This is for you Fluttershy.’ She lowered her head and focused her gaze. All the contests she had with Rainbow Dash were about to pay off. All she had to do was wait.

---

“That’s right dweeb, so what are you in for? Forgot to say please to your precious princess?” Gilda snorted and went back to her magazine.

“Um, I’d rather not talk about it.”

“Why? None of my business?”

“Well kind of, um I mean it’s just something I don’t want to talk about.”

Gilda jumped off the bed and grabbed Fluttershy’s face with her talons, “Listen to me. You’re going to answer my question or I’ll get it out of you some other way.”

Fluttershy squirmed and managed to break free from Gilda, “I’m sorry, but I can’t talk about it.”

Gilda was losing her patience, and Fluttershy knew that it was only a matter of time before she would be attacked.

‘I’m sorry Gilda,’ Fluttershy thought before saying, “I know you’re only mad because Rainbow doesn’t want anything to do with you, but leave me out of it.”

“What did you say?”

Gilda charged at Fluttershy and the yellow pony dived under her bed. Gilda crashed into a nearby bed, but she recovered quickly. Fluttershy’s statement angered the griffon much more than she intended. She dragged Fluttershy out from under the bed and struck her hard on the cheek.

Fluttershy simply reacted. She kicked out with her good hind leg, and kicked Gilda hard knocking her off balance. She then swung and caught the griffon across the beak. Soon the two of them were facing each other, both rubbing their faces and limping. Gilda relaxed when they heard the guards shouting.

“Break it up you two.” The earth pony guard that escorted Fluttershy to the infirmary stormed inside.

Gilda waited to be attacked by the guards and was stunned when the pony tackled Fluttershy.

The two guards held Fluttershy as a unicorn levitated a baton and struck the pegasus twice in her midsection. The guards let her drop to the floor as she held her stomach. “Thinking of adding another victim to the list,” the guard asked as he leaned to kick Fluttershy.

“Hey relax! I started it not her. Just leave her alone!”

“Stay out of this griffon.”

“Or what? You three think you can take me?”

The unicorn guard scoffed, “It’s not worth the trouble. Let’s just leave.” He nudged Fluttershy, “Get back to your bed.”

Fluttershy waited for the guards to leave and she slowly made her way back to her bed. It was slow going as she was hobbling on two legs. Her leg was bleeding again and she was using a foreleg to hold her stomach. She was shocked when she felt someone lift her up.

Gilda placed Fluttershy on her bed and sat down in the chair next to her, “I didn’t know they were going to do that.”

Fluttershy smiled, “It’s alright. I guess they think I’m the bigger danger.”

“Just what did you do?” Gilda saw the apprehension on Fluttershy’s face, “I tell you what, I’ll tell you what I’m in for and then you tell me. Deal?”

Fluttershy nodded, “Deal.” She stuck out a hoof and Gilda shook it.

The griffon took a deep breath, “Ok well, after I’ve been wandering the past year. I never stay in a town for very long. I still love to prank ponies, but the reason I’m in here is because a prank didn’t go as planned.” She looked around the infirmary, “Look, I don’t go for the mushy garbage you ponies do, but I don’t go out to hurt. Not physically anyway. Still, I set a bag of rotten fruit on fire and left it near a stand. What I didn’t know what that pony was scared of fire. He took one look at it and panicked. He kicked the back and it fell near a house. The thing lit up quick, and I could hear ponies inside. I ran in and got out as many as I could.” She hung her head, “I was able to save most of the family, but a newborn foal didn’t make it. I found out a few days ago that she was sick and the smoke from the fire was too much.” She looks at Fluttershy, “I never wanted to hurt anyone like that. That’s not cool, but I was arrested and charged with the fire. The family didn’t want to press charged as they knew it just a prank and I didn’t target them, so I got a reduced sentence for vandalism.” Gilda noticed that she was crying and she wiped her eyes, “I never saw a dead pony before, and this, this baby looked so weak and helpless. Once I’m out of here, I’m going home. I, I have some things to think about.”

Fluttershy put a hoof on Gilda’s shoulder and said nothing when the griffon knocked it off. “Well, I guess it’s my turn.” Fluttershy took a deep breath, “I beat a serial rapist to death with my bare hooves.”

Gilda stared blankly at Fluttershy, “Ok.”

“He was attacking Rainbow, and I killed him.”

At the sound of her old friend being in danger, Glida’s demeanor changed, “You saved Rainbow?”

Fluttershy nodded.

“Ok, that’s it. I’m going to bed. If anyone gives you grief, you come to me. I owe you for saving Rainbow.”

“Th-thank you, Gilda.”

“Don’t mention it.” The griffon walked back to her bed and laid down.

Fluttershy looked up at the ceiling, her body aching, but she was feeling happy. She might have made a new friend, and she knew that everypony was working hard to help her.

---

In a large house near Princess Celestia’s palace, but far enough to avoid detection, a stark black pegasus with a silver mane was receiving bad news.

The study had a library that would make Twilight Sparkle jealous along with jewels and artwork that Rarity would be stunned to witness. “This is not what I wanted to hear.” His voice hissed with an anger that was barely contained. “Your task was simple. Kill one pony, and yet you still managed to fail at that.”

“Mr. Ring, I don’t offer excuses, but surely you didn’t believe that one of the Elements of Harmony would be slain so easily?”

“You were sent after Fluttershy. She is the weakest of all of them…”

“Forgive me sir, but I disagree. You are well aware of what that pony is capable of. It’s no small fact that her being in danger has spurred the others to aid her. Yes the argument could be made that they would do this if any other element were in danger, but I feel that Fluttershy is somehow special to the group. Whether the others see her as a pitiful creature that needs constant mothering and protecting or see her as a powerful ally is unknown. What I can say with any certainty is that right now there are five ponies fighting to win her court case. This is our moment to act!”

For the first time in the past two hours, Storm Ring smiled. The old pegasus turned to the white unicorn, “Yes, perhaps now would be a good time to set the wheels in motion. We still need ‘her’ though.”

The white unicorn nodded slowly, “I understand sir, but she has refused all of our offers. She is adamant that there is nothing that we can offer that she is unable to gain on her own.”

Storm shook his head, “I am tired of excuses. I need that unicorn to power the spell. She is the only one with the skill and ability needed to handle the feedback.”

“I understand sir that is why I sent another messenger with a new offer. We have discovered her weakness, and we will use it to force her to join us.”

Storm smiled, “I certainly hope she reconsiders, or life will become much more difficult for her.”

---

“That’s enough for tonight little foals. It’s time to go to bed, and Trixie shall see you all tomorrow.” Trixie smiled at the foals, and every day she marveled at their strength. She walked up to a filly who undergoing cancer treatment and was wearing a wig, “Remember little one, you’re wearing the mane of an angel.”

The filly giggled and felt the pink wig, “Thank you Trixie. I didn’t think I would find one that was my color.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie would never leave a foal in despair, but now you must rest.” Trixie walked out of the room and before she turned off the light said, “Sleep well my little ponies. Trixie will return. She promises.”

A chorus of ‘Good night Trixie’ rang out and the showmare walked down the hall. The guard she saw only a few days ago was standing guard. “How is Lilly doing?”

The guard smiled, “I think she’s doing much better. Going in?”

“No, Trixie better not. She deserves her rest.” Trixie let out a yawn, “And Trixie needs hers as well.”

The guard smiled nervously at Trixie, “Um, Miss Trixie, if you’re up to it. Would you like to join me for a drink some night? I think you could use some relaxation.”

Trixie smiled, “Trixie may just take you up on that offer someday.” She turned and walked to the break room. Inside, she removed her hat and cape, and poured herself a cup of coffee. She did not notice the figure waiting for her.

“Miss Trixie. I come with news.”

Trixie rolled her eyes, “Trixie told you to inform your employer that she is not interested in the job. She doesn’t care if you double the offer she…”

“I’ve been instructed to quintuple it. Your services are desperately needed.”

Trixie raised an eyebrow, “Then Trixie is most certainly not interested. If your employer is offering me two hundred and fifty thousand bits simply to cast a spell, then it must be illegal, and Trixie does not perform necromancy.”

“What makes you think it’s necromancy?”

Trixie laughed, “You fool. That’s the only form of magic that Celestia has outlawed and would require additional unicorns to cast. In case you haven’t noticed, I am the best there is at magic.”

“Second best.”

Trixie glared at the pegasus, “No matter. The answer is still no.”

The pegasus grinned, “No. The answer is ‘yes’. You forced our hooves and now thanks to your pride a pony will have to die. You simply get to choose.” He drew a folder and opened it. Inside was a picture of Fluttershy. “Now before we get to the task, I should inform you that hospital paperwork can be spotty at times. Patient names get mixed up, medicines get changed, and even dosages are altered. I know you spend a great deal of time in the foal’s ward. You wouldn’t want an ‘accident’ to befall an innocent foal?”

“I will not kill Fluttershy.”

“So you know her? Great. Just kill her and no filly or colt will be harmed, and before you get any ideas of killing me, I should inform you that I am not the one that will alter the forms. If I do not report back in fifteen minutes, they will go ahead as scheduled and you will have no idea how it is. In fact, the form may already be altered and on the patient’s bed. Do you want to take that risk?”

Trixie sat down. She was shaking with rage. ‘I can’t kill Fluttershy, but I certainly can’t call his bluff.’ With tears streaming down her face, she made her decision. All she could do at that moment was whisper quietly, “I’m sorry.”