• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 14,344 Views, 444 Comments

Son of Eternity - Secrets and Lies



The life and legend of a naive and reluctant immortal in a new, beautiful world.

  • ...
50
 444
 14,344

13

(13)

Autumn approached Ponyville slowly and quietly. The nip of a cold snap coming through early caught the denizens of this quant village off guard. Tucked away containers of sweaters and hoof warmers were taken out of the backs of Ponyvilian’s closets as they stored away their Summer attire. Most would brave the chilly weather of Fall with nothing but their natural coats, however others, (often visitors or new dwellers of the Equestrian country) were not use to the drastic climate change and were forced to bundle up.

The foliage on the trees began to change–the green leaves withered into their brown and gold forms. Leaf piles already were being racked up as soon as the foliage broke away from its home. Ponyville was a well oiled machine of a village, each citizen kept his or her property clean and tidy; this habit was never enforced by any citizen, but each held its own mind-set that he or she was helping out around the town. The peaceful country village was one of a handful left in any part of the world that held proud to a near outstanding community. No one knew exactly why Ponyville was so tranquil, the citizens surly thought nothing of it, but the outsiders were astonished by such a well rounded community.

The sun was blocked out by the high and gray cumulous clouds the pegasi placed above. The clouds brought with them a chill breeze that swept through the valley. This was routine every year to stay in line with the seasons and to help blow most of the leaves off the trees along with the traditional, “Running of the Leaves” through Whitetail Wood. This was also the time when the migrations of geese and other birds alike would fly south towards Bridle Shores or even as far as the coastal city of Stableside. The last of the harvest for many farms nestled around the village, most importantly Sweet Apple Acres, were finishing up their last picking of apples until Spring would arrive. The marketplace had been packed for the last few days, the citizen ponies were buying up the last of the food and supplies needed for the coming months. The apple business was rolling in their well deserved profits. The market was soon adjusting to the villagers needs of course, Summery items and clothing were being discounted while new shipments of Wintery products gradually replaced them. The market never stopped it seemed, even in the dead of winter, ponies would buy up supplies, necessary commodity and knick-knacks. This is one of many features that made this town so popular among this equine region.

Most ponies enjoyed the change from Summer to Autumn. They loved the colors, the smells, the fresh and chilly mountain air which rolled into their part of the valley. Some others, lovers of the heat from Spring and Summer, would miss their warm afternoons and comfortable nights. Alas, they still enjoyed living in their small town, even if they hated the bitter coming months. The fillies dreaded the Fall for only one reason, school was back in session. The streets were no longer filled with misbehaving young colts and careless fillies. The subtle and quiet streets warmed the older pony’s hearts even in the cold. Even though they loved the children, they enjoyed the peace and quiet nippy days ahead.

Even in Canterlot the scenery was changing. Fall festive colors and banners were being hung in the streets, ushering in the next of many pony holidays. Of course, this was an advertising gesture to buy certain things, but their was something mysteriously fond and delighting about being in a big city when festal events were being affixed upon the buildings and street lamps.

Many in the street side cafes were enjoying hot ciders, teas and coffees to warm up their bodies, Valiant Steed was one of the many happy consumers of these beverages as he sat alone, sipping his pumpkin-spiced coffee. He appeared the same, his jet black mane hair had grown long again and his wing was still bandaged up. The pegasus was put on a short-term, paid leave of absence by the Princess herself, due to his wing and leg injury a few months ago. No guard was ever paid when taken a temporary leave of absence, though Celestia thought it would be rewarding for his courageous acts back in the Summer. He had healed up most of his injuries, but still had the reoccurring pains from that fateful meeting with the cannonball. Once he finished his coffee, he paid off the waiter and sat up from his outdoor table. His right wing was still bandaged and he walked with a limp, but could easily get around the bustling borough.

He loved the feeling of Autumn and seeing the colors change on the leaves, it brought back warm memories of his foalhood. Though it was an awkward feeling Valiant had, having one of his wings tightly wrapped while the other wasn’t. He didn’t dare try to fly and hurt himself again, he didn’t want to be back in that extremely cramped and uncomfortable wheelchair they placed him in. Valiant Steed was a large pegasi, not huge, but taller than the rest of the guards. It made the line of soldiers saluting whomever look un-proportioned, so he was always placed elsewhere during parades, salutes, and suchlike. His body was proportioned to his height and build, however his wings by far had the longest wingspan of any pegasi in the Equestrian military, and perhaps all of Equestria. Back in foalhood, the fillies and colts use to tease him for his awkward height and wingspan, but now since he was older, he had made his way high into the ranks of the pegasi force and his esteem escalated. He was no Captain of the Guard, like his dear and close friend Shining Armor, but he was the highest ranked and closest of Royal Guards to the Princess herself. He was ranked even higher when his reconnaissance mission with Zack was completed, giving him the mouthful of a title: Honorary Brigadier General.

Once after Ray Sunshine had practically became a vegetable due to his horn being sliced off, they stayed over night in the town hall. The next day, the Princess had sent a recovery team to help find Zack, Valiant, and the fillies after a whole day of absence and no word back. Shining Armor was sent along with a brigade of a dozen Royal Guards to find their targets. Once they found them, they escorted them back by chariot to the nearest hospital; which happened to be a hundred some miles or so away in Ponyville. Zack was taken directly to Canterlot after the rest were emitted into the hospital. Princess Celestia received early word on everyone’s condition and set up a special team of private doctors to help Zack inside the Canterlot castle. The team was able to save Zack from his massive loss of blood and had to put over fifty-plus stitches into his body, along with bandaging his broken limbs. They made him eventually take physical therapy because they believed it would take more than a year for him to fully heal. The doctors and therapists were astounded at how fast he recovered though; it took him a month and a half to recover from his wounds and broken bones without hardly any therapy involved. His scares healed in a matter of two months after that and his body felt right as rain.

Valiant wished he had whatever power Zack possessed, because his large, damaged wing would surly love to release itself from this cramped and restricting gauze. It felt wrong not being in the sky for so long and he often day dreamed about flying once again, he even wished to be on guard duty more often. He would sometimes visit the castle and say hello to his friends and Zack, but was soon rushed out by the Princess’ attendees because he was suppose to be at home recuperating from his injuries. However, when he did have the time, he would talk with Zack and shoot the breeze. He often discussed whatever was on his mind, what Zack had been up to and how Pinkie Pie was doing.

Zack had been doing nothing in particular and was rather bored of the slow paced and easy going lifestyle the castle was in. He had tried doing his regular routines of working out and reading whatever he could find interesting in the library, but that was starting to be more of a tedious routine than a past enjoyment. His newest and most boring books he had found were medical guides, which hardly gave him any entertainment value. He was able to keep in touch with Pinkie Pie every so often through letters and such, but he hadn’t seen her in a long time, in Pinkie Pie standards that is. She had been busy doing all sorts of things, according to the letters Zack received. She had been learning a great deal about baking, working the store, and most importantly to Zack, she still had the drive to play musical instruments. The last Zack had heard, she was learning her fourth instrument now, which Zack thought to be hilarious considering it was the tuba.

The Princess was going to try and make him some more weather appropriate clothing once her political work subsided, but Zack offered a new idea. He told her about Rarity and her dress making abilities she had told Zack in Appleloosa and on the way back to Ponyville. He suggested that maybe she could be brought to Canterlot and have her design Zack some well fitting clothes compared to the stitched up curtains Celestia made for him.

Rarity was soon invited over to the castle. During this waiting period, Zack sketched up some clothing designs the best he could, trying to draw similar pieces of clothing he liked back on Earth. When Rarity came and Zack showed her his drawings, she eagerly began the clothes making process. She first took the time to get all of Zack’s odd body’s measurements and soon began designing. The Princess ordered the guards to go out shopping for materials for Rarity to use, which was degrading for them, but they had no room to argue against the Princess. Once the materials were received, she made a multitude of clothes and apparel for Zack, she even attempted to make a pair of shoes for him. The shoes turned out rather odd, but Zack later suggested that she should just stick with making clothing. After a full few days of clothes making, Zack was pleased with the results. Even though Zack said not to put any gems on the materials, Rarity had placed some small ones into the design of some of his clothing which Zack discovered much later after Rarity left. Zack, for the first time in several months, wore fitting clothing he was use to back on Earth. The materials were so soft and stitched so well, he couldn’t thank the white filly enough for her patience and diligence. Celestia paid Rarity a large some of bits for her craftsmanship, which she responded in squeals of excitement.

After that, Zack still had nothing better to do, and soon decided to try new things. He asked Princess Celestia if he could disassemble the cannon they confiscated from Ray Sunshine. She didn’t know why Zack would ask this, but she agreed to it and a separate room was used in the castle for Zack to dissemble the mechanism in. Zack was supplied with all sorts of tools, most of which he had no idea how to use. Deconstructing the cannon was a trial and error process for him, however after a few days of working on it, he finally took the entire cannon apart, which surprisingly weren’t that many pieces.

Back when Zack was with his own kind, in school he was an ace in his welding and wood shop classes. He loved taking things apart and trying to put them back together. He thought he had lost that fondness long ago; but through this experience, he found that he had never lost it, but only rekindled his young passion. He had an idea of what to make, but was unsure how it would turn out. So he used his mediocre drawing abilities and made a blueprint as to what it may look like. Once he had a clear image in his head, he began reconstructing the piece of artillery. Slowly but surely, he mended new parts together and threw out old ones that were no longer used. After another few days of tinkering, he decided it needed a new look all together. He grabbed a handful of supplies he found around the castle, and with no real permission to take them, he snuck them back into his make-shift assembly room. He also carefully colored the cannon into lovely new colors that would suit its future functions. He painted it over and over again, trying new looks that matched, but finally he found a main color that would suit it and painted many layers over it. It was almost finished, the glossy new look of the once deadly weapon was now a device ready to suit Zack’s and many other’s needs. A few days later, when Valiant Steed was visiting the castle once again, Zack asked if he could come see what he made.

“Hey V,” Zack called out from a ground floor window of the castle as he saw Valiant Steed walk down the path towards the main entrance. “Come inside and head towards the room I’m in. I have a surprise for you!”

Valiant made his way down the halls of the castle until he found the room Zack was in. The double doors to the room were closed and the white pegasus pondered as to why they were shut. He opened the door wide to see a bright blue cannon aimed directly at him. Zack was behind the machine as he hit the firing button atop the device. Painful memories flooded back into the pony’s mind and he was struck with terror. The cannon fired and Valiant closed his eyes tightly, preparing to be sent into a world of agony once more. To his surprise, he was showered in confetti and silly string. He opened his eyes to notice that a party hat had also flown atop his mane and was fastened directly by a sting tied below his head. He looked over at Zack, who beamed a smile towards the confused pegasus, and Valiant responded to Zack’s emotions with an irk expression on his face.

“Surprise!” He promptly asked, “You like it? It’s called, a ‘party cannon’!”

“Why do you hate me,” asked the dissatisfied, but sarcastic stallion.

“Well I didn’t make this for you, I made it for Pinkie Pie.”

Valiant shook the confetti off of his body and proclaimed, “You scared me featherless! That wasn’t funny! Besides, her birthday isn’t for another seven months!”

Zack looked over towards the corner of the room and indicated, “Princess Celestia thought it was funny.”

The pegasus drastically looked over and realized Zack wasn’t kidding. Princess Celestia was snickering in the corner of the room. He quickly pulled the party hat off of his head and stammered for words to say.

“I–, uh... Hi... your majesty...”

She walked over with a little confetti still stuck in her hair, “It’s fine, Valiant Steed. Don’t be so timid, it’s fine for you to drop by, disregard my attendees.”

“Oh... well uh... thank you, my highness.”

“Please, just call me Celestia,” she said with a smile.

“Alright, Celestia...” he smiled back, feeling that he was more friends with Celestia now than he was ever before. From now on, he treated her as a friend like Zack has.

Zack spoke up, “I was planning to give Pinkie Pie this present for Christmas... I know it’s a bit early, but I thought I would get it out of the way... to pass time of course.”

Princess Celestia denoted in question, “What is this, ‘Chris-mass’?” Zack remembered they probably didn’t celebrate the holidays they did back on Earth, or knew who Jesus, God or what Christianity was.

Zack retorted, “Well... whenever the next gift giving holiday is.”

“Hearth’s Warming Eve,” responded Valiant.

“Ya, sure, Hearth’s Warming Eve sounds good.”

__________

Back in the chilled valley where Ponyville was located, school was in session. The young ponies had been in school for the past three weeks and were finally getting back into the regular routine of homework and studying. The only teacher in the small schoolhouse was Mrs. Sharpener, a pale yellow coated mare with a short, evenly cut, brown mane. She looked fitting for her role as her cutie mark, three sharpened pencils, signified her place in the educational role. Needless to say, she was born for the job.

The class was filled with all sorts of fillies and colts, all ranging from Earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns. Three individuals sat near the front of the class, these deep rotted friends were of course Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie Pie. While the rest of the foals, including Applejack and Rarity, were half awake and dozing off due to class just starting for the day, Pinkie Pie was wide awake and ready to begin class. She thought it was pretty fun learning new things and wanted to continue to learn more; Mrs. Sharpener especially loved Pinkie Pie’s cooperation in class. Even if the hyperactive filly would sometimes misbehave or speak out of turn, she knew that Pinkie was kindhearted.

Rarity woke herself up when she felt her own saliva running down the hoof she had placed on the desk to hold her head upright. She looked up and wiped the dribble off of her and hoped that no one saw the embarrassing act. She heard a sudden, muffled laughter behind her and turned to see what it was, face all ready as ready as a cherry. Two, young earth colts were crinkling up little pieces of notebook paper and tossing it like basketballs into the back of Pinkie’s mane. She appeared to be oblivious to these acts happening behind her as the two continued to arch paper wades into her curly hair. Rarity felt pity for her unsuspecting friend as she tried to focus on class. Rarity concentrated on her magic and she began levitating the paper balls out of her pink friend’s hair and shot them back at the two ponies behind Pinkie Pie. Rarity smiled after performing her gesture of retribution and turned to be confronted by the teacher herself.

“Miss Rarity,” she loudly announced, letting the whole class in on what was going on.

“Uh,” Rarity squeaked, “Y-yes, Mrs. Sharpener?”

“What have I told you about using magic in the classroom?”

“To never use it during school hours–but those two awful boys behind–”

“No ‘buts’, Miss Rarity! If I catch you doing it again, I might just have to take your gold star away from the ‘Good Pupil List’.”

Rarity’s eyes widened in horror and she implored, “Please! Not my gold star! I’ve toiled too hard to lose a single gold star! Forgive me!”

Mrs. Sharpener lifted an eyebrow and responded to Rarity’s plea with her usually comforting voice, “Very well. Just don’t let me catch you doing it again.”

As the teacher turned, Rarity crossed her hooves and said under her breath, “That merciless tyrant..." The teacher pivoted on one hoof and turned towards the class. She raised her wooden ruler in the air and diverted everyone’s attention towards her.

“Good morning, everypony,” she said in a gleeful tone.

The class, excluding the pink pony, unenthusiastically drawled out, “Good morning, Mrs. Sharpener.”

“As you know, today is ‘Show and Tell Friday’! I hope everyone that was signed up for today’s Show and Tell remembered it!”

She trotted over to the sleeping Applejack’s desk and slapped her ruler on the table top, letting out a loud crack which made most of the class jump in fright. Applejack flung her head up in shock; in the process of doing so, her hat flew off the top of her head onto the student's face behind her.

“Huh! What! Apples,” trumpeted the orange mare as she frantically looked around in a daze of confusion. Her attention snapped back to the teacher’s face as her emerald green eyes met with authority.

Mrs. Sharpener tilted her head and softly asked, “Would you mind going first for us, Applejack?”

The orange filly’s look of uncertainty changed into a grin of satisfaction. Applejack had been preparing for this day, she couldn’t wait to show off what she had brought. She spent all night preparing her speech and even performed her Show and Tell in front of her brother who thought it was a ‘masterpiece’. She worked so hard on it last night that she didn’t get any sleep at all, which is why she was dead tired in class the that day.

Applejack responded merrily, “Why yes ma’m! I’d love to Show n’ Tell!” She turned and grabbed her hat off of the bewildered colt behind her and skipped up to the front of the class with her saddle bag in tow. Applejack greeted her fatigue classmates, “Greetn’s ya’ll!”

Half of the class, the half which were trying their best to pay attention, sighed, “Hey... Applejoe-jack...” A colt in the back finished, “...whoever you are... whatever...”

Ooo,” Pinkie waved vigorously at Applejack as if she was beckoning for her attention from a distance. “Hi Applejack! Hi! Hey! Hello! How are ya! Hola! What’s up?” Pinkie leaned over and quietly spoke into Rarity’s ear, “She’s my friend!

Rarity rolled her eyes and replied, “I think you made it known to the entire class.”

“I know,” she giggled as she rocked in her seat. She looked over at the teacher, who gave a hoof over her lips to signify Pinkie to be quiet. Pinkie held her hooves over her mouth and giggled under her muffled breath.

Applejack nervously said, “Uh, hi Pankie Pie.” Pinkie Pie waved one hoof away from her mouth and quickly placed it back over her lips, hushing more laughter that came to her. Applejack averted her attention back to the class and replaced her tense features with a warm smile.

“Well today fer Show and Tell, I brought a special friend a’ mine who is near and dear to ma’ heart. We’ve been through thick n’ thin and I want ya’ll ta’ meet ‘em!” She reached inside her left saddle bag pocket and pulled out a bright red apple. “I wanna introduce ya’ll ta’ Jonathan!”

“This again? She did this last week,” an anonymous filly in the back blurted.

Applejack stomped her hoof and replied, “Hey now! This is a different apple! This one means sumthin’ ta’ me!” She raised Jonathan high above the students and divulged, “This is the last apple that fell from the tree I bucked, and that tree was the last tree with apples on it in the entire Sweet Apple Acres farm... AND it was the last apple ta' fall from that last tree that done needed ta' be bucked!”

An aquamarine pony crooned out loud, “Boring, boring, boring, boring....”

“Miss Heartstring,” the teacher called out, “Hush up back there! That’s one gold star taken away from you! I will not put up with your shenanigans today, young mare.”

The earth filly huffed as she crossed her hooves, “This is bogus! You can’t take gold stars from Lyra!”

The teacher turned back towards Applejack and said, “Well done, Miss Applejack. You may return to your seat now.”

“But I was just about ta’ get inta’ the good bits!”

There was a sudden knock on the school door–it was an odd time for anyone to be visiting the schoolhouse. The class’ attention was pulled towards the peculiar noise and away from Applejack.

The teacher turned back towards the blonde filly and concluded, “Just take a seat.” Applejack hung her head low as she slowly walked back to her desk. She sat herself down and sighed; she had desperately wanted to tell the class of the adventures she had with Jonathan.

The teacher cantered over to the school entrance and creaked open the door slightly to see who is was. She then opened it a bit more and held a very quiet conversation with her head out the door of the school. It was too quiet for the class to hear and the students couldn’t see who was at the door. Mrs. Sharpener was handed a note she skimmed over and finally poked her head back in to schoolhouse with an excited grin.

“Great news, class! Today we get a new student! Everyone give a hardy hello to–” she swung the door open and proclaimed, “–Rainbow Dash!”

The door hinged open to reveal the cyan pegasus mare with a multi-hued mane. She crossed her hooves and held a grumpy expression on her face, noting to the class that she didn’t want to be there. She hovered herself in the air with her wings and made her way slowly into the classroom ahead of the teacher. The students were amazed, they had never seen a pony with such a vivid mane before. The boys gawped at the new pegasus’ cool cutie mark, which was a cloud and lightning bolt. The girls giggled at the messy rainbow mane she sported; Rainbow Dash didn’t care, her attention was focused on other things.

“Why don’t you take the seat next to Pinkie Pie in the front of the class,” Mrs. Sharpener offered.

“Whatever,” replied the annoyed pegasi as she gently descended and sat herself at the desk next to Pinkie Pie. The pink filly was eyeballing the cyan blue who had a bland facial expression staring forward into nothingness. The new pegasus tried ignoring the pink earth filly by not giving her attention, which clearly wasn’t working as Pinkie Pie reached over and touched one of her blue wings.

“Ahem,” Mrs. Sharpener cleared her throat, Pinkie’s focus swayed towards the teacher and away from the emotionless pony. The teacher reached out her hoof towards Rainbow and suggested, “How about we let Miss Dash introduce herself to the class.”

“Ffff-ine,” she emitted while her wings pushed her into the air and out of her seat. She landed next to the teacher in front of the class and the schoolmates were now much more awake and attentive towards the new filly.

Rainbow Dash aggressively stated, “Let’s get one thing straight! I’m not suppose to be here! I use to go to Pegasus Academy up in Cloudsdale and–” The class ‘oooo’ed at her response when she mentioned she was from Cloudsdale. The cyan pony rolled her eyes and continued, “Anyways... I got suspended because of, ‘rough behavior’.” She mumbled underneath her breath while looking away from the class, “He had it coming...” Her attention was driven back to her new schoolmates and continued, “–and now I’m stuck in this place with ya’ll. Just know that I’m not suppose to be here and that I’ll be gone in a week or so. So ya, ignore me.”

She began to flap herself back to her desk while the teacher began walking up towards the front of the class. Rainbow Dash suddenly remembered something and she shot back in front of the class and in the teacher’s way.

“By the way," she began in a lighter tone than before, "some of you might have heard of me. Rainbow Dash, ring a bell? Well I recently performed the first ‘Sonic Rainboom’ in, like, over a century? Some of you may be asking, what is a ‘Sonic Rainboom’? Well it would probably be the most awesome thing you would ever see, ever. It’s so awesome, that if you looked straight into it, it would probably melt your eyes out of your skull. There was a huge mess in Canterlot afterwards and they had to build the entire castle back together after what I did!”

Pinkie furiously waved her hoof in the air and Rainbow directed her focus over to her. Pinkie blurted with a smile, “No you didn’t, Zack would have told me alllllll–” Rarity shoved a hoof over Pinkie’s mouth as she continued to talk in a suppressed and incoherent voice.

The teacher stepped in and said, “That will be enough, Miss Dash. Please take your seat once more as we will begin our first lesson in mathematics.”

Pinkie looked over at Rainbow Dash, the cyan pony’s face gave a petulant expression. Pinkie grabbed the underside of her desk and hopped closer next to Rainbow, the pegasus just looked over at her in confusion as to what she was doing. The teacher was turned around and writing some arithmetic problems on the board, unaware of Pinkie’s behavior.

Pinkie whispered intently, “Hi! My name’s Pinkie Pie!”

“Uh-huh,” she groaned, all ready knowing the filly’s name.

The pink pony leaned in closer and complimented, “You have pretty wings!”

The pegasi’s eyes opened a bit more from the flattering remark, “Oh, uh, thanks!” Once Pinkie saw the new filly smile, she knew she had her hooked.

“Even though everypony was looking at your cutie mark or mane, I was looking at your wings. I love them!”

“Hey, thanks a lot,” beamed Rainbow as she made eye contact with the pink filly. Pinkie’s day had just turned into a much better one now that she was friends with the new pony. Her heart was filled with joy knowing that another pony liked her and that she made her feel better about her current situation. Today was looking bright for the pink pony, even though gray clouds hung overhead.

__________

A few hours had passed and it was recess time at the Ponyville Schoolhouse. Fillies flocked the school yard in screams of joy and excitement, not only because it was recess time, but it was Friday and half the day was already over. Toys were brought out by Mrs. Sharpener such as hula-hoops, jump ropes, kick balls and all sorts of play things. Certain filly friends had plans that night which they were discussing during recess such as sleepovers and get togethers. The three pony companions, Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie were in their usually spots, underneath the big oak tree at the corner of the school yard. Rarity was trying to braid Applejack's hair while Pinkie Pie was jumping rope close by them. While Pinkie was off in her own world, eyes closed and humming a random melody, Rarity was fighting to keep Applejack still as she groomed her blonde mane.

“Please, Applejack...” she said with a sternness in her voice. “Would just hold still, it's hard enough working with a mane as filthy as this one. There’s no need to worry, darling, it's not like I’m fitting you into another one of my dresses again.”

“I don’t trust ya’ back there,” Applejack tried to pull away again, but Rarity held her back by grabbing her by the shoulder blade. “Whatever yer’ do’n back yonder, I know yer’ up ta’ no good!”

“Oh, hush up! Don’t be such a ‘faux pas’, my dear.”

Applejack squirmed again and asked, “I don’t know what ya’ dern said, but I ain’t seen no foxes 'round these parts.” Rarity tied the last braid and raised her hooves up in accomplishment.

“Ah-ha! It tis done! My Applejack, may I dare say you sport that ‘femme fatale’ appearance quite well.”

Applejack felt the back of her hair and threw it around her shoulder to look at it. She felt it up and down; she began to subtly admire the new look, but tried not to clearly show her emotions towards Rarity.

“Well, Miss Applejack, do you like it?”

Applejack chose her words carefully, “Um, ya, it’s real swell!” The orange filly bent closer towards Rarity, pointed a hoof at her and concluded, “But don’t ya’ll be call’n me any names no more in pig latin, ya here?” Rarity blinked in uncertainty and then moved her eye contact towards the pink filly, who was now resting under the tree, still humming with her eyes shut.

“It’s your turn now, darling.” Pinkie opened her large, cerulean eyes, which seemed to glow lustrous on this dark day, and looked back into Rarity’s.

She hopped up and replied, “It’s my turn, ya say?” She scurried behind Rarity and continued, “Ah, now what shall we do with this purple blunder?” Rarity let out a fake chuckle at her response and quickly turned towards Pinkie in fear for her hair she loved dearly.

“I was suggesting that maybe I work with your hair, not you on mine, you see?”

Awww...” Pinkie sighed in disappointment as she flopped her flank down on the grass.

“Oh, don’t take it personal, dearie. Not everyone can have hair like mine.”

The three friend’s concentration was broken as a rainbow trail flew by the tree in a blur, carrying with it a powerful wind. The rush of air was so strong it unbraided Applejack’s hair, which in turn made her feel a little upset, revealing her true views outwardly on the style it was in. Her dismay changed to awe as she looked up towards Rainbow Dash, flexing in the air as a crowd of students circled around her.

She spoke proudly to her admirers below, “And that, my dear fans, is how you do a reversal tail spin!”

The crowd cheered for the rainbow pegasus as she landed. Even Mrs. Sharpener extended recess so that Rainbow Dash could show off some more tricks and stunts. Rarity soon forgot all about braiding Pinkie’s hair and ran over to go see the pegasus in action. Applejack was about to head off where the crowd was until Pinkie Pie stopped her.

“Wait, AJ,” she called out. The orange filly stopped and turned back towards Pinkie. The pink pony caught up behind Applejack and tried to delay her by saying, “I wanted to hear your story about you and Jonathan. I thought it was really interesting and–”

“Uh– I’ll tell ya’ another time, Pinkie. I really want ta’ see Rainbow Dash! She’s so cool!” She turned and yelled towards the impressive pegasus, “Hey, do a barrel roll!”

Rainbow Dash cracked a prideful smile and replied, “Ha, easy-shimsy!” After that comment, she took off into the sky again with a boom. Pinkie was left under the oak tree, alone.

The pink earth pony let out a long, drawn out breath, “I wish I had wings...”

__________

After recess, school seemed to go by much slower for Pinkie Pie. Hearing those continuing comments about how ‘awesome' Rainbow Dash was and how little her two friends were spending time with her really depressed the filly. Applejack nor Rarity even spoke or made eye contact with Pinkie, she thought they wanted to be friends with the new, cool filly. The party pony liked Rainbow Dash, but was a tad jealous from all the attention she was getting and how Pinkie wanted wings to fly. The more she thought about having a pair of wings for her own, a notion sprang into her mind suggesting that maybe in a pervious life she did have wings of her own. This silly thought soon receded, but the lingering desire for a pair of wings grew as the day progressed.

During art class, Pinkie was sitting at her desk and surrounded by a sea of empty tables and chairs. The rest of the student body, from what she could tell, were situated around Rainbow Dash who wasn’t even drawing at all. She just sat there, her wings spread wide and leaning back in her chair answering questions from the students and even the teacher herself. This tensed up Pinkie Pie a tad bit more and she began painting more vigorously. She dabbed more and more paint onto her already vivid portrayal of her and Zack in the Canterlot gardens, but this time, she was saving him with her large, pink wings. She moved her hoof over to get some more pink paint on her brush, but her hoof slipped and she hit the green paint container instead which spilled all over her pink chest. Not only was Pinkie battling depression, but she was now fighting with not losing her temper. Her anger boiled deeply as she just stared at the mess she made, oblivious as to who was watching.

“Oh my,” a voice commented as Pinkie looked up to see Rarity studying her mess up. “The painting’s good, whatever it is, but the spill you made I hope doesn’t stain your lovely coat.” Rarity’s horn glowed a deep, vivid blue as she levitated a rag over, dipped it into her vile of water she used to clean the brushes with and began wiping the paint clean off of the splattered pony.

“See? All better! And not a stain left!” Rarity began cleaning the rest of it off of Pinkie’s desk, quite humble and content. Pinkie cooled off and thanked her for cleaning her spill, but was soon interrupted when another familiar pony came up beside Rarity.

“Hey,” Rainbow blurted, “that was really awesome what you did there! I wish I had a unicorn horn so I could do cool magic like that!” Pinkie just sat there in bewilderment, embarrassed knowing that now the whole class knew what had happened.

Rarity blushed and carped, “Oh, you mean this old thing,” she pointed at her horn and giggled softly. “Oh, it’s nothing, really. Simply old unicorn artistry I suppose.”

Rainbow wrapped her wing around Rarity’s shoulder and said, “No, I mean it! That was really cool!”

Rarity and Rainbow Dash walked back towards the corner of the class as a crowd of fillies followed behind. Pinkie felt even more miserable now than ever, even after Rarity’s generosity. She now wished she was a unicorn, maybe then she would be recognized in the class and not be such an outsider. She began despising the way she was born, she hated it. With the mood she had built up ushered a flood of emotions and memories that only worsened her state of mind. She remembered her treacherous family, she remembered how she was worthless on the rock farm, worthless when kidnapped, worthless even to her friends now. She felt so inferior to everyone else in the class and she couldn’t do anything right, no matter how hard she tried.

She sat there for the rest of the day, holding back her impending torrent of mixed emotions. She was sad knowing that she was boring and normal, and she was angry knowing she could have done better in her past situations. Worst of all, she knew that she couldn’t change, that she was going to be a regular, boring, worthless earth pony who couldn’t do anything on her own forever.

As soon as school let out, she completely ignored her friends, who were too busy anyways buddying Rainbow Dash. She slowly walked down town as the leaves blew across the empty streets in the nipping breeze. The weather and feeling in the air couldn’t have been drearier; the sun wasn’t shining like she liked it and she was cold and gloomy. As soon as she thought she was far enough away, her emotions broke loss and she began to cry very loudly, holding no more emotions back. She sat on the street corner of an unoccupied part of town, her pink coat appearing faded in the shrouded sun. Her curly mane began to deflate slowly and her pink, flat hair hung over her head, making things even darker for her. She didn’t care anymore who saw her in this state, all she wanted was a warm, tight hug, and for someone to tell her that she was special.

__________

She didn’t know how long she had sat there, but she did notice it was getting colder and darker. The frigid wind blew her reddening eyes dry, and she had cried so much that she couldn’t cry anymore–along with that, she had also calmed down a bit, but still deeply hurt and envious on the inside. She propped herself back up on her hooves and instead of going back to Sugarcube Corner, she decided to continue walking down the street in a part of Ponyville she had never really been in or known about.

Pinkie thought that the Cake Family must be worried sick about her, but this thought was eased when she realized that on most Friday nights she would be hanging out in Applejack’s treehouse or with her friends, unlike today. She sighed as she shivered a little as another cold wind swept though the empty street. This part of the village was silent and barren, and the only noise was from the rustling leaves, the frigid wind and the clopping of Pinkie Pie’s gait. She stopped and looked around after some time had passed, wondering where she was exactly. She thought that she could probably get back to the town square if she went the opposite direction, but her drive to stay away from ponies stopped her from going back now, not yet at least.

Another frigid gale swept by, carrying dead leaves with it while blowing her hair out of her face. For a split second, the noise of the wind almost sounded as if it were a voice, an incoherent, but faint voice. It scared her a bit as she came to a brief halt, but she remained cool and content; realizing that it must have been her imagination and proceeded to walk down the road some more.

Another passing of the wind came by and Pinkie swore she heard the voice again. When it went by her ears, it almost sounded like it came from a different direction, but followed the wind as it blew by. Pinkie turned towards the direction she thought the voice was coming from and saw that across the street was an old, worn down building. She took greater detail in it as she stepped forward. It appeared to be an old bakery with the lettering above broken off. The colors were faded and the glass was smudged with dirt and dust. The door handle was rusted, and it creaked when the wind pushed along it. The filly tried to look in the window, but couldn’t tell exactly what was inside. The lights were off and the window was too dirty to see anything from the outside. Pinkie walked over and slowly reached her hoof out to open the store’s entrance. The door was fastened shut as she tried to rattle it open while pulling on the handle. It was no use and she turned away to walk back down the street.

As she turned, another gust blew from behind her and when it did, she heard the tarnished, metal hinged door creak slowly open, as if all it needed to be opened by was a light push. She slowly turned, a bit skeptical about what she had just heard, but to her dismay, the door was creaked open slightly. She turned and pressed the door all the way open to see its insides. No one was inside and the interior looked as if it hadn’t been touched in years. The only light in the old shop was from the discolored windows and the open door. The room was filled with dust and the wallpaper was torn and damaged, revealing the wooden boards on the other side. Many items were under large, faded white tarps as if someone wanted to hide the contents of whatever was in this run-down bakery. The place also looked as if it had been robbed and vandalized a few times, some writing on the walls Pinkie couldn’t read very well was washed out and illegible due to time. She stepped inside anxiously and hesitantly. With each hoof-step, the cracked tile and broken wood and glass groaned and cracked underneath her hooves.

With another gust of cool wind, the shop’s door gently closed, not even alerting Pinkie Pie. She was too curious as to know what happened to this run-down place which seemed to have possessed a lot of memories. She kept walking, looking at the old, decaying counters and 'out-of-date' styles of chairs and tables. Pinkie didn’t care what was underneath the large drapes, but something stopped her in her tracks as she paused to look around.

She turned her head slowly and looked to her left. Behind an over turned table and some broken restaurant chairs, an oddly shaped, cloth covered object was hung on the wall. She couldn’t make out what it was, but something about it intrigued her enough to step over to it and maneuver around the mess to get closer to it. Once close enough, she thought she heard the wind again, but was sure that it couldn’t possibly be wind since she was inside. The only reason she thought it was wind was because of the muffled voice she heard in her ears, which rasped in a low pitch, “Come nearer.”

She reached her pink, left hoof up and slowly touched the object. Then in a swift motion she flung the faded drape off and stepped back. The tarp fell over her and she had to toss it off to see what it was hiding. Once she did this, it was revealed that the tarp was hiding a large, arching mirror. The mirror had a flat bottom and a curved top with strange markings written around it like runes. The edges of the mirror glimmered a faint luster of gold that was pressed into the edge of the reflecting surface. The mirror itself however was spotless and it looked brand new. Its flawless appeal fascinated the curious pink filly, she had never seen a mirror so shiny and magnificent. She finally looked into the mirror at herself and hopped back in shock. Pinkie was surprised to see that it was almost as if there was no mirror at all and that she was just staring at her identical twin. An uncanny resemblance was made in her mind that the pony before her was no reflection, but a strange duplicate of sorts.

As soon as the pony blinked, she realized something was different about her reflection. It took her a few seconds to identify it, but she realized that her mirror image now had a unicorn horn and wings. She gasped in excitement and quickly turned to see if she had them in reality, but to her disappointment, she did not. Pinkie Pie looked back into the mirror and just stared at herself; she looked so amazing, if only her friends could see this. If only she was like this in real life, she would be so special. She looked like Princess Celestia with her new physical characteristics, a pair of beautiful pink wings and a pink and flawless unicorn horn boosted her self esteem. She gave a smile when looking upon her false self, but the smile dimly turned upside down after realizing it was fake once more.

She walked towards the mirror and stopped, getting a closer look at herself to see if anything else had changed she didn’t realize. She placed her hoof on the reflection, as if trying to touch her perfect self; but in doing so, instead of feeling a hard surface, her hoof plunged into a thick, cold liquid. She pulled it out quickly and stepped back in fright. She looked around the room to see if this was some sort of prank or trick, but she was still alone and the room was dead silent. She mustered enough courage to go back and touch the mirror again. She was correct, it wasn’t an ordinary mirror, she could submerge her hoof into the reflective, vertical pool and pull it in and out. She got closer and inspected the magical mirror without touching it. When she did get closer, she heard something she didn't quite expect to hear, music. This muffled melody was a light hearted and bouncy tune, almost old fashion sounding. She finally maneuvered her head back and stood firm in front of the mirror and her alicorn self. She took a deep breath in through her snout, closed her eyes and jumped blindly into the mirror.

__________

Her body felt like it had dived into a cold lake, but when she hit the ground again, she was in a warm atmosphere. She opened her eyes and a bright light glared into the area she was in. Her eyes adjusted and she realized that maybe she had just traveled back in time. Pinkie appeared to be in the same bakery, but the shop looked brand new. Everything was neatly polished, the colors in the walls, chairs, tables, counters and floors were not faded. The music was much louder and sounded as if it was playing through an old radio. She turned her head to look outside the building, but only saw a white, bright light when looking out the bakery window. It wasn’t painful to the eyes, but she only saw a majestic radiance that seemed to be different from the sun’s rays. She turned back and walked around the bend of the bakery bar and stools.

At the very end of a dozen bar stools was a solid, charcoal coated, plump pony. His mane was neatly combed and his tail was curved smooth in a posh position. His faced spotted a large gray mustache which hid his mouth and two bushy eyebrows of the same color. He was reading a newspaper and his eyes squinted through his tiny glasses as he mumbled out the words he read. The pink filly also realized that no one was behind the bar and she and the plump stallion were the only ones in the bakery. He was unaware of Pinkie’s presence as she approached cautiously. After the incident involving Ray Sunshine, she was ready to gallop away as fast as she could once she thought that things were up to no good.

Pinkie stepped right up to the stallion, who was still heedless to the filly, and quietly asked, “Excuse me, sir.”

The pony perked his rounded ears up and lowered the newspaper. He slowly turned his head and looked down at Pinkie, readjusting his entirely too small spectacles.

“Why yes, miss,” he said in a slow, low speaking southern accent. He gave a small smile which Pinkie could tell underneath his fuzzy mustache. Pinkie hesitated a smile in response, she felt a little uneasy and even forgot what she was going to ask at all. The stallion took in a breath and replied to her silence, “Are you lost, my little pony?”

Pinkie then cleared her voice and said, “Uh... yes I am actually.”

“Why you’re Ponyville’s finest and only bakery, Hoofcake Cupcake Shop. Why don’t ya take a seat there, little lady.” He took of swig of coffee he had next the paper he placed on the bar counter. Pinkie had a hard time getting up on the bar stool, but finally managed to squirm her way up on the cherry red, cushioned seat.

“So, where ya from,” articulated the gentle colt.

“Ponyville... but, I really want to go home, mister.” The aged pony swiveled in his chair slightly in Pinkie’s direction.

He asked, “Aren’t you hungry or thirsty?”

Pinkie was about to decline the friendly stallion’s offer, but instead her mind spoke out for her, “Well, I am a bit hungry... I didn’t feel like eating at school today.”

“Well let me call up the server here, it’s all on me,” he said in a delighted, yet calm tone. He reached out his hoof and rang a service bell Pinkie Pie didn’t realize was there until he hit it.

She responded gently to his kindness, “Thank you, mister.”

“Why you’re most certainly welcome, missy. And by the way, the name’s Mr. Turnip. That’s what ma’ friends call me at least.”

“Well, thank you kindly, Mr. Turnip.”

The doors to the back of the kitchen swung open behind the counter and outstepped a sharp dressed unicorn. He was a light-blue coated, skinny stallion with a black, slicked mane and tail. He had on around his neck a bright red bow tie, and on his head he wore a white, paper hat. His shining teeth gleamed at the sight of a new customer as he approached the pink filly. He stepped passed her, pointed a hoof at Mr. Turnip and shook it vigorously at the gray pony.

The server spoke in a slightly sophisticated, yet fast tone, “Say now, wise guy, you threat’n my customers again! Don’t make me throw you outta this joint, buster!”

After a moment of silence, the adults burst out in laughter as Pinkie watched in total confusion, not knowing that these two were friends. The server then turned his attention towards Pinkie Pie and beamed a genuine smile over at her.

“Hey there, doll face! What can I get you this fine day?” He bent over and whispered with his hoof over to the side of his face, “Don’t get the cherry soda, my wife made it, goes right through ya every time.” Pinkie laughed at this, seemingly like it melted her worries away for a minute.

She replied, “Well, I don’t know what’s on the menu... in fact, I haven’t even seen a menu.”

“There’s no need for menus in this bakery, baby cakes. Just ask what you want and we’re mighty sure we have it in stock.”

Pinkie sat there and thought with her hoof rubbing her chin. She looked back up at the server and read his name tag, which was pinned to his paper cap that she didn’t notice before. It read, ‘Lints’.

Pinkie replied with a rude question, “Why is your name ‘Lints’?” The stallion took his hat off and swept his hoof back over his slick, black hair, eyeballing the hat.

He replied, “That’s what Mama named me! But folks around here call me ‘Lints-a-lot’ or ‘Sir Lints-a-lot’ cause I got a lot to say and not a lot of time, see?” He placed his elbows on the counter and hunched over the table with a pencil and paper in hoof. “Now, what can I get you today, sweet cheeks?”

Pinkie already knew the answer and replied gleefully, “Can I have some ice cream? Preferably chocolate chip?”

“Why sure thing, sweetheart!” He clicked the ball point pen and began scribbling and speaking at the rate he was writing, “One bowl... of refreshing... chocolate chip ice cream... coming-up!” He clicked the ball point pen again and carelessly tossed it behind him into a shelf, as if he wrote the check down just to have some fun.

He turned and yelled, “Hey Rocky! How about you fix up this sweetie’s ice cream, pronto!” A thick necked, large and black coated work horse stallion with a brown, scruffy mane popped his head out of the kitchen door.

He retorted in a thick, Bronx accent, “You got it, boss man.”

As Rocky stuck his head back through the kitchen door, Lints turned and noted towards the pink filly, “Ahh yea, I can tell by your looks you have a lot of energy." He eyeballed her more and went on, "... yea, a lot.”

The other kitchen door on the other side of the restaurant opened up and out stepped a classy looking pegasus mare. She was hay yellow with a light, red mane and tail; which was styled ever so elegantly much like Rarity’s as her eyes twinkled in the spectral light behind her. Pinkie thought that she was beautiful, and that perhaps an angel had descended to take her away.

Lints raised his hooves and proclaimed, “Her she is, the lady of the hour. Fillies and gentle colts, I present my beautiful and darling wife, Madame LeFlour!” She giggled as her husband grabbed her by the waist, spun her around and gave her a light kiss on the cheek.

She noticed the new customer and replied in a french accent, “Why, I didn’t zee you there, mi amore!” She pushed off her love drunken husband and made her way towards Pinkie Pie. “Why, it’z a pleasure, Mizz...”

“Miss Pie,” Pinkie squeaked, subconsciously switching her accent to a french one without her immediate knowing. She stuck out her pink hoof for a shake, but LeFlour gracefully lifted Pinkie’s hoof and kissed it lightly.

With a smile she said, “It iz a pleasure to meet a lovely mistress such az yourself, madame.”

“Why thank you,” Pinkie blushed from LeFlour’s sweet compliment. A bowl of ice cream sailed down the smooth counter top in front of Pinkie and gently came to a halt. She looked down the bar counter to see Rocky waving at her with a toothpick hanging from the crooked smile on his face. Pinkie waved back with a cheery smile in return.

With a wave of Lint’s hoof, Rocky made his way back into the kitchen as silently as he left it. Lint’s unicorn horn glowed yellow and a spoon was conjured next to the bowl of ice cream. Pinkie looked up at Lint, who gave her a wink as he turned away to do the dishes. She looked back down, grabbed the spoon and took a bite out of the ice cream. Pinkie thought it was amazing and loved it as she let out a moan of satisfaction. As she took a few more bites, she remembered for some reason what happened that day, the way she was feeling, and had soon lost her appetite. It seemed like it would have been a day a bowl of ice cream could fix, but the damage she mentally endured conquered Pinkie. Mr. Turnip noticed Pinkie’s mood change and lowered his paper again.

“What seems to be the problem, child,” he questioned in his southern drawl.

She turned towards him and said with a happy tone, “The ice cream’s great,” but her voice changed back to a sorrowful tone, “but, I just had a rough day.” She sighed and went on, “I just feel worthless and useless. None of my friends want to play or be around me, and I can’t ever seem to do anything right. I’m always getting into trouble and always needing help. I’m pathetic. I wish I had a pair of wings or a unicorn horn so at least I can be special, just a little bit.”

Lint turned suddenly around and said with force, “Well why didn’t you say so, sweetie?”

As soon as he said that, a strange white apple was slid down the counter and had halted directly in front of Pinkie Pie, as if stopped by an unseen force. She turned to see if it was Rocky again, but only saw the kitchen doors swinging.

Lint explained, “See this here apple? This is no ordinary apple! This here is an Alicorn’s Apple, which can only be grown from one tree. This fruit can give you wings and a magic horn! No strings attached! Just take a bite and you’ll take flight! Ah-ha!” Pinkie was a little worried and befuddled by the appearance of the delicious, snowy-white apple in front of her.

She asked, “If I eat this apple, I can have wings and a unicorn horn?”

“Oui! Zat is correct, madame,” confirmed LeFlour as she watched over the pink pony.

Pinkie paused for a moment to take in the scenario and choice which was laid out in front of her. All of her problems she thought could end right here, right now. She could finally be something special, she could finally fly, perform unicorn magic and even fight along side Zack during future quests the Princess gives him. A world of adventure and happiness was offered to her, and in that moment she reached out her hoof and held the apple firmly in her hooves. She took one last look at the strangely appealing apple and finally took a bite out of it as Lints, Mr. Turnip, Madame LeFlour and even Rocky in the corner of the bakery watched eagerly.

She swished it back and forth in her mouth, extracting its tastes. To her surprise, it tasted just like a regular apple and felt no more special after eating it. She swallowed and sat still, feeling the bits of chewed up apple run down her throat and into her stomach. She still felt like her regular, not very special self as Pinkie looked around at everyone in silence and in confusion.

She thought to herself, “Was I suppose to feel something? I don’t feel anything...

Lints chirped, “How’s it feel to be an alicorn, muffin?”

Pinkie looked around and replied,” I don’t feel any differe–”

While Pinkie Pie was scratching her mane, she felt something hard and firm atop her head. It startled her as she touched it again with both hooves this time. Madame LeFlour smiled and levitated a pocket mirror in front of Pinkie Pie. Pinkie looked into the reflection and saw that it was a beautiful, pink unicorn horn. She could feel her heart pounding faster, she couldn't believe it. Her mind told her that she was in a dream, but her body disagreed. She turned her head around to look at her back, and there rested two folded up alicorn wings. She hopped off the stool and cried out in triumph as the others in the bakery warmly smiled at her success. Pinkie couldn't keep herself still as she bounced and teetered with glee. She unfolded her wings and lifted herself off of the ground with ease. She gently hovered inside the bakery while at the same time using her new unicorn magic to levitate Mr. Turnip off of his seat. Everyone was laughing and Pinkie was filled with so much bliss and joy it made her cry tears of joy. Everything felt second nature to Pinkie, while other pegasus and unicorn foals she knew took years to even begin to master their birth talents, it took mere seconds for her.

She landed back down on the ground and gently placed Mr. Turnip back in his chair. He let out a hardy laugh as soon as Pinkie’s sapphire blue, magical aura faded around him. She giggled and snorted at his merriment as he was red in the face from so much laughter and excitement. He took out a handkerchief and patted his sweating forehead multiple times before putting it back in his trouser pocket.

“Oh, I can’t wait to show my friends this,” she exclaimed in euphoria as she hopped back on the stool. Lints was turned around again, looking as if he was preparing a concoction of a drink. Pinkie added, “Well, I really, really thank you all for doing this, I know there isn’t much I can do to make it up to ya’ll. But please, visit me again sometime at Sugarcube Corner, I’d love to talk with you all again. I think it may be getting late and I need to go home, the Cakes must be in a tissy!”

Lints replied with his back still turned towards Pinkie, “Well before you go, how about one... more... Drink!” Lints turned and his appearance terrified Pinkie so much so that she fell off the stool and onto the floor. He appeared like a giant, wooden puppet, but his eyes glowed like burning embers. His figure was warped in so many terrifying ways. His mouth was one large sliding hinge, like the same hinges used in his elbows, shoulders, neck and knees. Strings were now attached to his limbs and head, bobbing them uncontrollably. Pinkie was in total panic as she felt her heart trying to beat right out of her chest. She turned towards Mr. Turnip, who appeared even more warped as a puppet than Lints.

She scrambled backwards, screaming in horror as he said in slowly morphing, unnatural voice, “What’s the matter? Why the long face, Pinkie Pie?”

She couldn’t get herself back on her hooves she was so terrified. The more she looked around, the more the bar turned into a darker, more twisted place. She tired to fly upwards, but her wings wouldn’t cooperate and she ended up ramming her head into the underside of the bar. She rubbed her head in pain and looked up to see a very creepy marionette of Madame LeFlour, who was reaching her hooves out towards the pink pony. She shrieked and finally got herself up on her hooves away from her. She galloped as fast as she could towards the exit of the bakery, running with all of her strength. She tried her hardest to open the door, but just couldn’t do it–it was sealed tight by an outside force that seemed to be pushing back.

In a sudden instant, Pinkie felt her body lock up in paralysis. She couldn’t move any part of her body expect her eyes and eyelids. She tried looking around, but her last view was situated towards the handle of the door. A disturbing silence filled the now darkened room until Pinkie heard something that made her heart skip a beat. A strange jingle of small bells, then another, then another. With every ring, a hoof step followed. It was closing in behind Pinkie Pie, but she couldn’t tell who it was.

The thing from behind Pinkie Pie spoke in a cold, yet soft tone of voice, “Pinkie... Pie. Ah, you will be the one to do my bidding.”

Pinkie tried to speak, but her closed mouth stopped her from talking. She heard a few more jingles of bells and hoof steps coming closer until she could hear whomever it was behind her breathing down her neck.

He whispered into her ear, “I’ve been trapped in this prison for so long... and to believe this magical artifact can grant eternal life. Oh it can, but at a cost I simply overlooked. You see, I could have taken over the Equestrian throne by now, but I could not leave The Mirror of Hven’penin. One’s soul is immortal, but one’s body is not is what I discovered so long ago–so that’s why I need you, my gullible filly.” The unknown being stepped away from Pinkie Pie, she could still not tell who he was.

He continued, “You can have all of your wildest fantasies granted inside the mirror realm, but your body deteriorates much faster if you accept those desires. You see, that was once me, I was once the King of Equestria and ruled along side the regal sisters, but I was not immortal. So I sought out how to become one, and found this magical artifact. You see, I did not do this to increase my own lifespan, but to be with my lover and to rule over these beautiful lands with her, together. But since then, I’ve been stuck inside this Tartarus of a place for over a millennia! Do you have any idea what it’s like to be stuck with yourself for one-thousand years!” A long silence ensued, Pinkie was scared out of her mind and desperately wanted to leave.

“Let’s take a look at you, shall we?”

Pinkie’s body was soon levitated around and she finally saw who was talking to her. It was a grey coated unicorn with piercing yellow eyes and a silver, curly short mane and tail. He had a long, thick beard and was wearing a large blue robe and wizard’s hat with ancient runes inscribed on them. Small bells were around the rim of the hat and near the ends of the robe where they dragged on the floor. He scanned Pinkie Pie intently, reading her over as if she was a book.

“Now that your desires in the mirror have been granted, and your body is still full of life, I can use you. Your alicorn state can be used outside of this realm and the only way to reverse this state is for another powerful unicorn to extract the enchantment...” He pressed his white hooves against Pinkie’s chest and appeared to be looking straight through the levitating pony. He grinned and verified, “Oh yes... you have much energy inside yo–," He stopped and noted, "–and what’s this? You have a piece of a spirit inside you too!”

He looked into Pinkie’s tear filled eyes and gave a devilish smile, “You are one of the Elements of Harmony!”

She had no idea what he was talking about, much like the rest of his conversation. He laughed and spun himself around, walking slowly away from the paralyzed, magically floating pony.

“You? An Element of Harmony? So weak! So misguided! And now, fate falls in my favor! The time is nigh! The night is now! You are mine for the taking, Pinkie Pie!” He quickly turned back towards her and placed a hoof on the pink alicorn’s forehead. He shouted as his horn glowed vibrantly yellow, “Starswirl will reign over Equestria again! And this time, he will imprison Celestia in The Mirror of Death!”

His body glowed bright yellow and soon it dissolved into a smokey form. It flowed like water into Pinkie’s mouth and nostrils as the magic that enveloped her wore off. She fell to the ground and began choking on the substance that went into her body. Suddenly her mind fell into a pit of sorts and was locked away It was was difficult for her to describe the mental feelings she was being afflicted with, but soon, Pinkie Pie was no more.

The pink pony stopped struggling and took in a deep breath. She rose up off of her hooves and expressed zero emotion as she exited the mirror. Once she placed herself outside and back into the real world, she opened her eyes. Her pupils glowed intensely yellow, much like Starswirl’s. She too bore a devilish grin much like his as well.

She said in a twisted tone, which bore similarities to her old voice, “Yes... Yes! I am free! And I am coming for you... my Celestia... I now possess the body of an alicorn and the energy of an Element of Harmony! Nothing can stop me!”

The possessed Pinkie Pie alicorn unfolded her wings and shot off into the night sky towards Canterlot. The great and old King and high wizard of the Canterlot Court was closing in on the capital city with one goal in mind, to rule over it once again in his new, much more powerful body he plans to keep for eternity.

Author's Note:

Submitted September 2012 - Revised December 3rd 2013