• Published 13th Aug 2014
  • 4,267 Views, 137 Comments

Punch-Out - Poetic Justice



A human (You) enters a fighting tournament after somepony makes an off-hand comment about your species.

  • ...
24
 137
 4,267

The Midnight Message**

4 weeks later

"Human! We desire to speak with you!" A loud, echoing voice, exploded into your room. You almost fell out of the bed from the shock. You looked around the room, trying to look for the source of the sound.When your head turns to the window, you notice the moon is still high in the sky. You didn't have any type of clock in your room, so you were unsure about the exact time. After a few seconds of you looking around the tower room with half closed eyes, you manage to collect your thoughts, just in time for the voice to fill your ears again.

"Human! Art thou awake?!" The voice called again.

Now you were able to tell who it was. Only one pony in all of Equestria spoke in that Olden English way. You make it to your feet and stretch your arms. You feel your back crack and your shoulders pop. The infirmary beds were much more comfortable than your own. Maybe you should convince Nurse Redheart to let you take one of the beds...

"Human! Wake up!" This time, the shouting was accompanied by banging on the door. You groaned and stood up. With one hand rubbing your eye, you use your other to open the door. You start off slowly pushing it open, but the pony on the other end quickly grabs it and swings it open. Even through mostly closed eyes, you know full well who it is that was so eager to speak to you.

"Ah! Finally, you're awake!" The princess of the night exclaimed.

"Luna...what time is it?"

"Oh, it is about two hours until the sunrise!"

You swing your head back and groan in an over-exaggerated manner. "Why did you wake me up?" You ask.

"There is an important matter we must discuss!" You're sure she was trying to sound serious, like someone was in danger, but you couldn't help but hear something in her voice ... excitement? Her body language surely showed that, as she was bouncing on the balls of her feet. She didn't have a smile on her face though. Maybe it was just the fact she suddenly woke you up in the middle of the night, but you had a very hard time reading the usually transparent mare.

"What is it? Is something wrong?" It was not every night, thankfully, the princess of the night was banging on your door. You did feel a little anxious on what she wanted to talk about.

"Captain Lullaby of my Night Watch has spoken to me about your pretend fights with members of the guard after hours."

"..oh, that. Luna, I promise you that we are not trying to hurt each other."

"I am aware of that. I've been watching you two fight for the past two weeks."

"You have? Why?"

"Lullaby has nominated you to participate in an upcoming event."

"An event?" It was not uncommon for you to participate in events in Canterlot. Luna loved bringing you to every kind of event to show you the music, food, and just to meet the local ponies. To be fair, you did meet all two of your friends at events Luna brought you to.

"Yes! And this one takes place in Ponyville! You'll be able to see-"

"What kind of event?" You deliberately cut her off before she can say the mare's name. You didn't want the conversation to end up with Luna talking about her, just like Cadence does.

"It's a fighting tournament."

"Fighting? What kind of fighting?"

"It's called 'Ring Fighting'" Luna explains. "Two fighters must wear large, cushioned gloved and they are only allowed to punch. There are three rounds, each lasting three minutes. The first one to knock the other out before the end of the third round wins!"

"Oh. Boxing." You say.

"Box-ing? What does fighting have to do with boxes?" Luna asks. You slap your palm to your forehead. Not because she didn't understand why it was called Box-ing, but because you should have expected a response like that from her.

"It's because..." You stop for a moment. You could explain that it is because the fighting area is a box, but you're sure that it'll lead to more questions and less sleep for you. "-I, uh, actually don't know."

"See, it does not make any sense." Luna says. You're thankful she leaves it at that.

"So, Captain Lullaby told you to sign me up for a boxi-I mean 'Ring Fighting'-tournament in Ponyville?"

"Yes! Both she and I have seen you train with the guard. Although you do not fight the way expected in the sport, it shall be fairly quick to show you the techniques."

"How long until the first fight?"

"Two weeks. If you accept this, we leave for Ponyville tommorrow. You shall train with Lance and Lullaby when we get there."

"Lance is comming too?"

"Yes, Lance has personally trained with you. Lullaby thinks it will be wise to bring him as well."

You can understand that line of reasoning. "So, if I say yes, everything is in place and we leave tommorrow?"

"Yes. I shall also accompany you there. However, once the train reaches the station in Ponyville, I must attend to personal matters. You, along with Lance and Lullaby, will make your way to the local inn, where a room will be reserved for you. Once there, you are free to spend time in Ponyville however you see fit. The only requirement is you actually show up to the tournament."

If you spend at least three hours training with Lullaby and Lance, you feel you'll be able to grasp the technique fairly quickly. It would just take a lot of focus and mental energy to get through it. Also, if you win this tournament, that will be a great eye-opener for Shining Armor.

"All-right, I'll do it."

"Oh, joy! Be ready to leave by noon." Luna exclaims. You quickly look back to your room. You only had three sets of clothes, and a few miscellaneous items. Everything else was just furniture.

"I'll meet you at the station."

"Sleep well, human!" She said. You wave her goodbye and go back to bed.