• Published 21st Sep 2014
  • 2,366 Views, 128 Comments

The Changelings Have a King - Jade Ring



An old enemy's thirst for vengeance gives rise to a new threat...and kick-starts a chain of events that will change Equestria forever.

  • ...
25
 128
 2,366

Chapter 9: Three Couples

Spike finished setting the dishes before the five ponies congregated around the dinner table. He swept a claw over the product of his past few hours of work. “Dinner this evening is an orecchiette pasta with blanched green rapini, a few dabs of homemade goat cheese, and just a hint of lemon zest.” He gave a slight bow before taking his own seat. “Bon appetit.”

Prince Blueblood’s magic lifted a fork of the dish into his mouth. He chewed, then made a noise of pleasure. “This is wonderful!”

The other diners followed suit with their own first bites and exultations at Spike’s culinary prowess, and next few minutes were quiet save for the quiet sound of chewing and the occasional scrape of a utensil on a plate.

It was Janice who raised her glass and tipped it towards the dragon. “My compliments, sir. I have not been having a meal this nice in quite some time.” She smiled at Rarity. “Your pet is being something truly wonderful.”

Rarity choked on a piece of cheese and quickly washed it down with a sip of wine. She extended a hoof and touched Spike’s claw, noting the irritated expression that was creeping onto his face. “Spike is not my pet, my lady.”

Janice nodded sagely. “Your servant, then? Wherever may I be purchasing a dragon of my own?”

Spike’s grip bent the fork he was holding.

Crescendo and Cheerilee kept their eyes on their plates.

Blueblood simply sat back and watched in wry amusement.

Stiff Upper Lip lingered by the hallway, silently rolling his eyes as the evening unfolded.

Rarity grinned awkwardly, pressing down on Spike’s hand to send the message that he should calm down. “He isn’t that either. He’s… well, I don’t suppose colt-friend would work in this instance, would it? My… drake-friend?”

Janice stared at her in absolute confusion.

Blueblood chuckled and returned to his plate. “He’s her lover, my dear.”

Janice’s eyes widened in realization. She looked at the dragon with new appreciation. “How… exotic.”

“I think it’s wonderful.” Blueblood sipped his own wine. “What better way for Equestria to be more united than for other species to share in that deepest of bonds that we call love?” He toasted the two of them. “May your days together be long and joyous. Seeing you together reminds me of a lovely buffalo I encountered in my travels…” He stopped with a sly grin when Janice kicked him under the table.
Spike’s grip lessened somewhat and he resumed eating.

Janice turned her attention to Crescendo. “And your relationship to Miss Rarity is being… what, exactly?”

Before the unicorn could respond, Rarity again interjected. “Crescendo was an acquaintance of mine in my university days. Since then we’ve become the best of friends.”

“The very best.” Crescendo added quietly, deciding the wine was not strong enough and taking a nip from a flask he pulled from his vest.

“And Cheerilee has been a dear friend since my fillyhood.” Rarity continued before Janice could ask any further questions. “These two are Ponyville’s premiere educators… and are apparently an item now, I believe.”

“We’ll see, Rarity.” Cheerilee awkwardly laughed and snagged Crescendo’s flask from his telekinetic grasp.

Spike narrowed his eyes at them, still in somewhat of a foul mood. “I take it you two aren’t fans of my wine choice?”

Crescendo and Cheerilee stopped squabbling over the flask and nearly melted before his glare. “Sorry, old boy.”

Rarity playfully rolled her eyes. “Honestly, Crescendo is living proof that you have to get older but you don’t necessarily have to grow up.”

They all laughed, even Spike, and resumed their meal for a few more minutes.

It was Blueblood who broke the silence. “That’s a lovely painting.” He gestured at the watercolor of Rarity and Sweetie Belle that hung on the wall. “Your sister?”

“My daughter, actually. She’s away at school at the moment.”

Janice looked at the painting, then to Rarity, then to Crescendo. She raised an eyebrow. “You must be forgiving me, but who is the filly’s father?”

“That’s an awfully personal question, my love.” Blueblood took another bite and shot a warning look in her direction.

“No worries.” Crescendo beamed, the small shots of whiskey having lightened him up considerably. “Shame be on the father who does not take pride in his offspring.”

“You?” Janice’s jaw dropped. “So you and Rarity were being…”

“It was nothing.” Rarity cut her off rather sharply. “Just a college dalliance. Two dumb ponies who couldn’t handle their liquor.”

Crescendo felt his good mood dissipating. “Yes. Just two dumb ponies.”

Rarity offered a sympathetic smile. “I didn’t mean to make it sound like that, darling. That blurry evening ended up giving me the most wonderful daughter in the world and a friend for life.”

“To lifelong friendships!” Cheerilee held her glass aloft, tapping Crescendo under the table so he would do the same.

“Cheers!” The diners clinked their glasses and returned to their meals.

Janice swallowed her latest bite and lifted her wine glass. “In my land, love is being the greatest of all currencies. One’s heart is not given so… lightly.”

Rarity stiffened at the words and forced a smile. “You will forgive me for my bluntness, your grace, but Crescendo and I did not give our hearts to one another. Surely ponies of your land are familiar with things happening in the… heat of the moment, as it were?”

Janice chuckled. “Of course, but we are having social contracts where offspring are concerned. If a, how would you say, dalliance results in a child, then that couple is being expected to marry.”

“Well, thank Celestia we don’t have such silly rules here.”

Crescendo’s ears flattened.

“After all, Crescendo and I barely knew each other in those days. And I never would have met my beloved Spike.”

“But does no small part of you wonder what it would have been like?”

Rarity narrowed her eyes. “I can honestly say that I do not. I am perfectly content with my life.”

Janice drained her wine glass and focused her gaze on Crescendo, now glaring a hole into the table cloth. “And you? Are you feeling the same way?”

Cheerilee’s eyes darted from Crescendo to Spike who was watching the stallion with reproach in his eyes. “Perhaps we could move on to another topic, your grace?”

“Why? It is a simple question, is it not? Do you, Professor Crescendo, wonder what life would have been being like if you and Miss Rarity had remained together?”

“Spike, this meal has been lovely.” Crescendo wiped his lips with a napkin and placed it on the table. “But I fear the hour is growing late.”

“It is being rude to ignore a duchess’ question, sir.”

“It is far ruder, my lady, to meddle in affairs you know nothing about.”

Blueblood narrowed his eyes. “I would prefer you not speak to my wife that way, sir.”

Crescendo smirked cruelly. “And I would appreciate if you could control your wife’s tongue better, your highness.”

“Crescendo!” Rarity exclaimed. “There’s no need to be rude!”

Cheerilee put her own napkin down. “Rarity, I think it would be for the best if we…”

“Answer the question, Crescendo.” A new voice rumbled.

Rarity’s head spun to face Spike. “What?”

“It’s a simple enough question.” The dragon folded his arms and leaned back into his chair. “I don’t understand why he won’t answer.”

“Because I shouldn’t have to answer. I don’t know her and I owe her nothing in the way of personal information. I have the right to not have my personal history become gossip for a pair of nobleponies.”

Smoke began to stream from Spike’s nostrils. “Well, now I’m curious. So I’ll ask the question. Do you ever think about the way things would have been if you and Rarity had stayed together?”

“Spike.” Rarity placed a hoof on her beloved’s claw once again. “I think the wine has gone to our heads a bit…”

“Now Rarity; he asked a question.” Blueblood swirled his wine in its glass and made to drink it. “I’d say the lizard deserves an answer.”

What happened next was almost too fast to be perceived.

A gout of flame belched from Spike’s maw and melted the glass in Blueblood’s magic. The dragon leaned across the table, his claws wrapping around the throat of the unicorn. “WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME?!”

Blueblood stared into the reptilian eyes and squirmed in panic. “I meant no insult!”

“Then why did you call me that?”

“B-because I heard somepony in the village say it. I thought it was some joke you all shared.”

More smoke poured from Spike’s snout as he considered Blueblood’s words.

“Spike?”

His love’s tinny voice broke through the pulsing rage in his ears.

“Spike? Love? Let him go. Please.”

Spike inhaled, cooling the flame within his breast, and released the stallion’s neck from his grasp. He took several deep breaths to calm himself and cast his eyes down in shame. “I’m sorry.”

Blueblood cleared his throat and allowed his bride to hold him close and give him a once over. “Quite alright, I assure you. A simple misunderstanding. I had no idea it was such an insult.”

“The worst of insults.” Spike, now embarrassed by his behavior, looked at his empty plate.

Janice, satisfied that her husband was unharmed, sighed and looked across the table. “I should also be apologizing. I was…” She cut herself off sharply when she realized she was speaking to empty air. Crescendo and Cheerilee had vanished in the ruckus.

Rarity sniffed indignantly. “How uncharacteristically rude of those two. I’m sure we’ve all made quite the impression on your graces.”

“Hmph.” Spike grunted as he grabbed the plates from the table in three quick movements and made his way towards the kitchen.

“I… I think I’ll help him with desert.” Rarity pushed away from the table, offered a small curtsy, and hurried after him.

Stiff Upper Lip emerged from the shadows and made to refill his lord and lady’s wine glasses. “This was… interesting.”

“Very.” Janice accepted the refilled glass without another word.

“I should be able to mimic the professor rather easily.”

“Oh my dear Molt.” Blueblood chuckled. “You won’t be mimicking him.”

“Then who?”

Blueblood only chuckled (a chitinous, clicking sound) and sipped his wine, his eyes flashing green with satisfaction at an evening gone perfectly right.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

She found him leaning on the counter, his forehead resting on the cool tile. “I’m sorry.” He whispered again.

“It’s alright. Everypony got a little heated back there.”

“That’s not what I’m sorry about. I mean, I am sorry, but I’m sorrier for…”

She made her way to his side and stroked a hoof along his scales. “For what, darling?”

He pulled away from her touch. “I lost control, Rarity. For the first time in years, I lost control.”

“It was bound to happen sooner or later. The hoarding spell affecting you is the first of its kind. Twilight told me she spent months fine tuning it before casting it on you. It’s frankly a miracle that it took years for the first hiccup.” She pushed herself against him. “What set you off?”

“Crescendo.”

“Oh?” the answer had caught Rarity off guard. “I thought it was Blueblood.”

Spike chuckled. “He caught the wrath of it, sure. And believe me; I will be finding out who called me a lizard behind my back. But it was Crescendo that got me going.”

“Why ever for?” She raised an eyebrow. “Spike, you can’t honestly think that…”

“That he still has feelings for you? I didn’t. Not before tonight, anyway.” Spike pulled away from his mare again and started pulling ice cream dishes from the cupboard. “If he doesn’t, then why couldn’t he answer the question?”

“Maybe we should talk to him. Perhaps there’s something else on his mind.”

“Or maybe we know exactly who is on his mind…”

“Spike.” Rarity’s magic seized the dragon and spun him around to face her. “I love you. My heart belongs to you and only to you. You know that, right?”

Spike sighed and wrapped his arms around the unicorn he loved. “Of course I know that.”

“And you know that even if Crescendo had feelings for me, he respects the both of us too much to damage our strange little family.” She snuggled into his chest, thrilling as his scales rubbed against her fur. “Right?”

“I know.”

“I am yours and you are mine.”

Spike breathed in the lavender smell of her mane and reached for the pocket in his scales that contained the ring. “Until death do we part?”

Her head tilted up in an obvious invitation. Their lips brushed each other’s…

A scream echoed from the dining room.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Spike and Rarity arrived to find Janice spasming on the carpet, Blueblood and Stiff Upper Lip hovering over her in worry.

“What’s going on?” Spike demanded. “She wasn’t allergic to anything, was she?”

Blueblood shook his head and used his magic to hoist his trembling wife onto his back. “I’m afraid my wife has fallen quite ill. I must get her to the hospital at once.”

Rarity nodded. “We’ll come with you.”

“Please don’t worry, we’ll get along fine I assure you.” Despite everything, he offered the pair a smile. “Thank you both for a lovely evening.” He nodded at Stiff and the two stallions raced out of the house.

Spike and Rarity watched them go and then turned to each other. “Well.” Rarity said with a small smile. “I do believe that dinner was one for the record books. Awkwardness, anger, and ultimately anguish. I imagine gossip of all this will make it all the way to Canterlot.”

Spike chuckled and tilted his head at the kitchen. “We still have dessert.”

“Dessert for two sounds lovely, but I fear I don’t have the strength to clear the dining room table.”

Starting to catch her drift, Spike grinned. “We could always have dessert in bed.”

Rarity put a hoof to her forehead in mock shock. “And risk getting chocolate all over my sheets?”

“Don’t worry, my dear.” The dragon growled as he pulled his mare into his arms. “I won’t spill a drop.”

She nipped at his nose playfully and pulled out of his embrace, making for the stairs. “I’ll have three cherries on my sundae, Spikey Wikey.”

Spike chuckled again. “Of course.”

“Oh, and Spike?” She looked back with a gaze that could set fire to the robes of celibate priests. “Just bring the whipped cream with you.”

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Do you think they noticed when we left?” Cheerilee giggled as she and Crescendo finally stopped running outside the door of her house.

Crescendo let out a panting laugh as he slumped against the wall. “I’m sure they have their own things to deal with. Though I am curious as to how seriously Blueblood got burned.”

The two teachers laughed again as they caught their breath.

“By Celestia’s flanks! I haven’t run like that in years.” Crescendo wiped his sweaty brow, his breath finally returning to normal.

“What’s the matter, old man? Father Time catching up to you?” Cheerilee swatted him playfully with her tail as she tried to fit her key into the door’s lock.

“Take it easy, my dear. Don’t let the mane fool you.” Crescendo tugged at his grey locks irritably. “I’m barely a few years older than you.”

“That’s a shame.” Cheerilee looked back as the lock opened with a click. “I’ve always had a thing for older stallions.”

Crescendo smirked. “Had some clandestine affairs with your instructors back in your college days?”

“I’d be lying if I said I’d never thought about it.” The earth pony pushed the door open and turned around. “But you’re the first professor I’ve ever actually fooled around with.”

“And how’s the experience so far?”

Cheerilee learned forward. “I think further research is required.”

Their lips met, smooth and sweet as sugar. His hoof stroked her cheek and hers got tangled in his grey mane. Very carefully, she started to pull him inside.

Every fiber of his being screaming at him not to, Crescendo pulled away from the teacher’s soft kiss. “Cheerilee, believe me. I’d like nothing more. But Dimmy’s at home and I…”

She cut him off with another kiss, this one deeper and hotter than the last. It was quick and fierce, the kiss of a warrior from days of old. The kiss of a mare who knows what she wants.

It left Crescendo quite speechless when she pulled away.

“Crescendo, your chivalry is incredibly attractive, believe me. You’re a gentlepony of the old school. But I’m a mare of the modern world. I’m not going to be heartbroken if you don’t stay the night, but I will be insulted if you don’t shut up, come inside, and…” She leaned up and whispered something in his ear that was only for him.

Crescendo’s blood roared and he grinned. “’Eripe me et ego in te, ut hodie hic cubiculum.’

Cheerilee giggled and turned to head inside. “”Looks like I’ve still got it.”

Crescendo followed, his entire world the mare’s swaying hips and tail. “Oh, you’re about to get it, alright.”

The door swung shut, cutting off the sound of the two’s laughter.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

They had barely made it into the mansion’s huge basement when green flames engulfed Janice. By the time Blueblood had placed her on cot Molt had hastily constructed, it was Chrysalis who was shivering and writhing, horrible groans coming from her throat.

Carapace shed his own disguise and examined his queen. “What’s happening?”

Molt examined the queen, concern etched on his dark face. “I’m not sure. It almost looks like she’s entering the next stage, but it’s far too early…”

Chrysalis screamed as viscous green fluid gushed from her legs and abdomen. Her newly grown tail lashed around wildly as the fluid began to almost congeal and coalesce. It bubbled and popped and glowed with weird, ethereal green light. It slid and slipped… and swelled.
In minutes, it was formed.

Chrysalis groaned again, rolling onto her stomach as the final bits slipped into place.

Carapace and Molt gazed in wonder at the newly formed egg-sack. It was easily two feet long and just as wide. Already it was filling with amniotic fluid, pulsing as it prepared to create its first batch of eggs.

“Well, sire; it would appear that congratulations would be in order.” Molt scratched at his membranous beard in wonder and worry at the uncharted territory he now found himself in.

“Indeed.” King Carapace smiled wickedly. “I’d say it’s time we picked up the cigars.”