• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 24

Part 24
Well Met by Twilight


“Discord, you can’t mean that!” Twilight Sparkle exclaims. She doesn’t even know Fluttershy, she’s an innocent. Harmony wouldn’t do something like that... right?” Twilight directs this last question toward Celestia and Luna.

They pause and look at each other for a moment. Shock and concern are mirrored on the two sisters faces. Finally Luna speaks.

“Yes Twilight,” she says her voice filled with sorrow. “After all this time, yes, I believe she would.”

“She’s been obsessed with revenge for thousands of years,” Celestia adds, “after what happened to her husband, it’s all she thinks about.”

“Believe us Twilight,” Luna says, “all the time we were growing up, all mother thought about was revenge. It’s been consuming her for almost all of our lives. If she feels that she finally has a chance to get even with her brother, then I’m sure she will take it.”

Twilight’s eyes widen as she takes in the meaning of Luna’s words. One of the most powerful beings on the plant is coming in little over a day. Coming to destroy one of her best friends. A sweet, kind, innocent pony, who’s only crime was to dare to love another. She begins to tremble. Not in fear, or in rage, but in despair. She knows that deep down she has no way of stopping Harmony, no way of saving her friend. All she can do is lay down her life trying.

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE!” Celestia shouts, causing Twilight’s head to snap up in surprise. “How DARE you give in to despair! I expected better of my prize student, my protege. Cease this behavior at once!”

“Bu- but Celestia... I can’t, I’m not strong enough to-” Twilight begins to say, tears forming in her eyes.

“SILENCE!” Her mentor booms. “Are you so selfish that you’d take on this burden alone? Look around you! Every pony in this room stands ready to keep Fluttershy from harm. You have the combined might of four alicorn princesses, the lord of chaos, a dragon, zebra, two unicorns, a Pegasus who can create rainbooms, an earth pony who no one wants to be kicked by, and a pink haired lunatic with a party cannon. Honestly, mom has no idea what’s shes in for if she thinks she can hurt OUR new sister!” Celestia says putting her hoof around Fluttershy.

“That’s right,” Luna chimes in. “SHE IS OUR SISTER NOW!” Luna declares in her royal Canterlot voice. “AND WOE BETIDE ANY THAT SEEK TO HARM HER!”

Discord rises to his feet and studies all his new family for a moment. Finally he addresses them all.

“When I began this story, it was so that you all, my friends, would understand. Not just understand why my sister was coming, but understand me as well. What I went through, my mistakes and failures. My life. I did this because I had every intention of fighting my sister from the start, even to the death if necessary, to protect Fluttershy. I wanted you all to know my story, just in case... well, just in case.

Whether my sister is in the right, or in the wrong, doesn’t matter to me at this point. I would gladly lay down before her and let her extinguish my spark of life, if only to spare my one true love. But I know my sister. She has carried this grudge for too long. Nothing will satisfy her until she destroys the one pony I love more than anything. Only when Fluttershy lies shattered before her will she consider her revenge complete. But by all the powers that be, I WILL NOT LET THIS COME TO PASS! I will fight her with every scrap of my power, and I believe, with the help of you all, that we CAN prevail! This battle is NOT hopeless! Together with all of my friends... my family, we CAN defeat her!” Discord says, rallying the hearts of those around him, but then a quiet voice says a single word.

“No.” All eyes turn to Fluttershy in stunned silence.

Finally Discord speaks. “Dearest, what do you mean ‘no’?”

“Um, listen. Don’t think I’m ungrateful to you all. I know you all mean well. And it really means a lot to me that you are all willing to fight for me. Even against your own mother,” she says looking toward Celestia and Luna. “But I can’t let you do this. This ISN’T the way.”

Everyone, Discord included, glares at her in shock.

“There’s no point in you all looking at me like that. My mind is made up. Harmony isn’t a BAD pony. She’s only hurt. She’s turned on her brother, neglected her daughters, and has spent thousands of years just wandering on her own. She’s been hurting longer than most of us have even been alive. Right now I am the only pony that can free her of that hurt. And if it means...” Fluttershy pauses to take a deep breath before continuing, “If it means letting her take her revenge on me. Then so be it.”

Gasps of shock and cries of “no” are thrown about the room.

“LISTEN TO ME!” Fluttershy says, raising her voice louder than she ever has before. “This is MY choice. My decision. The day after tomorrow she will arrive. When she does, we will meet her, talk with her. Reason with her if we can. But if nothing else will satisfy her, then I will go to her willingly. And if you all are my friends. My TRUE friends. Then you will respect my decision, and NOT interfere.” And with that, Fluttershy rises from her seat and leaves the room, walking out into the garden, and closing the door behind her.

“We can’t let her do this,” Discord says in hushed tones.

“Of course we can’t,” Celestia says, her sister nodding in agreement beside her.

“I say we hog tie her, and hide her out on the farm until Harmony leaves.” Applejack adds, “It’s for her own good.”

“I say we wait until Flutters is asleep, and all go out and meet this Harmony on OUR terms.” Rainbow Dash says with determination. “We don’t even let her NEAR Fluttershy.”

This declaration gets approval from most of the room, as many nod in agreement.

But then Twilight speaks. “We can’t.”

“Why ever not?” Rarity asks. “It seems to me to be the most prudent course of action. We simply can’t let Discord’s dreadful sister anywhere near our Fluttershy.”

“Fluttershy is right.” Twilight says, her voice filled with sorrow.

“Um, excuse me?” Pinky Pie interjects. “Twilight, that is, and remember, this is coming from ME now, but that is just plain crazy!”

“No Pinky. It isn’t.” Twilight says, her voice flat, as if she’s given up. “Fluttershy is right. We aren’t dealing with Tirak, we aren’t dealing with Sombra. We are dealing with a pony with a broken heart. Harmony isn’t evil. She’s just hurt. And she has a right to her rage. Even if we COULD destroy her, it just wouldn’t be right.”

“But Twilight. We can’t just let Fluttershy sacrifice herself,” Spike says coming up beside her.

“I know Spike.” Twilight replies. “We’ll just have to come up with something. Some plan, some way...” Twilight breaks off her speaking as she looks around the room. Everyone there is still united in their determination to save their friend, but she can tell from their expressions that they, much as herself, have no ideas on how to do so.

“Let’s... lets all go home and get some rest. Maybe after a good nights sleep we can come up with something. We still have all day tomorrow to make our plans.” Twilight says, looking to her mentor for agreement. Celestia and several others nod reluctantly.

“Perhaps that idea is for the best.” Celestia says. “Uncle, will you send us all home? And return us tomorrow morning for breakfast?”

“Of course my dear,” Discord says. He snaps his claws, and portals appear around the room before every pony.

“Um Twilight, “Spike says, “would it be okay if...” he begins, but Twilight interrupts him.

“Go with AJ Spike. She needs you tonight.” Twilight says, forcing a smile.

“Okay. Thanks Twilight,” the young dragon says as he hurries to catch up with Applejack before she enters her portal.

Twilight turns to Discord. “I think I will just walk home. I just need some time to myself to think, and with my current house guests, doing so at home is next to impossible.”

“I understand.” Discord says quietly.

“Listen to me,” Twilight says taking Discord’s claw and looking up at him. “Nothing will happen to Fluttershy. No matter what, we WILL keep her safe. I promise. I PROMISE... uncle.”

Discord’s eyes widen in surprise, and he looks down at her, smiling. A tear wells up in his eye as he responds. “Thank you.” he says. “I knew you were going to be one of my favorite nieces.”

Twilight smiles up at him and then takes her leave. Several other ponies come to him and offer their support before departing. Finally he is left alone in his empty sitting room. He waves his arm and all the evidence of company has been removed. Everything is left clean and neat. He walks to the door to the garden and silently opens it. Fluttershy is sitting with her back toward him, gazing off into the distance. He approaches her silently, but before he can say anything...

“Are they all gone?” Fluttershy asks.

“Yes dearest.” Discord says wrapping his arms around her.

“And... and will they respect my wishes?” she asks hesitantly.

“Yes dearest. Twilight has convinced them not to fight my sister.” Discord says, a hint of regret in his voice.

“She’s a good friend.” Fluttershy says, still gazing out into the garden.

“Yes she is,” Discord agrees. “One of the best... Just like you.” he adds, squeezing her in his arms.

Fluttershy finally turns to face her husband. He can now see that she has been crying, probably the whole time. “I’m... I’m so scared!” she wails, burying herself in her husband’s arms.

“Shhh, I know. I know.” Discord says stroking her mane.” The thought of losing you... nothing in my long, long, life is more terrifying than that.” He says, tears falling unashamedly into her mane.

“We both must look a sight,” Fluttershy says between sobs.

“Indeed.” Discord replies stroking her tear be-speckled mane. “You, a lovely one, and me... well... certainly an eye full.” He says chuckling. Fluttershy finally utters a chuckle of her own in return. “Come my dear,” Discord says, “we have the night to ourselves. Our friends won’t return until tomorrow. Right now we can go anywhere, do anything you want, just tell me your desire, and I will do everything to make this night yours.”

“Well... there is one exotic location I’d like to go to, and one exciting activity I’d like to engage in, if it wouldn’t be too much trouble.” Fluttershy says shyly.

“Your wish is my command my love. Just say the words.” Discord replies, lifting his bride in his arms.

“Bedroom... bed... snuggle.” She says simply.

“Hmm, four in the afternoon, yes, we are overdue now that you mention it.” Discord turns with his wife in his arms and makes his way back inside, kicking the door shut behind him.

Long before they make it to the bedroom he has begun to tickle her under her wings making her squeal in delight. It was many hours later before they fell into exhausted, contented, slumber.

Twilight Sparkle had begun to make her way down the forest path that lead back to Ponyville. She let her mind drift, not trying to focus on anything in particular. Letting her subconscious have time to process the events of the day. She was confident that they would find some way to make this all work out. After all they had been though and overcome, the thought of losing one of their own was completely unthinkable. SOME way would be found. SOME thing would come up. It was as she was thinking this, that she ran face first into a set of upright blue doors.

“Oww!” she said, rubbing her muzzle. “That wasn’t what I meant about something coming up.” she said aloud, backing up from the doors.

It was then that she received her second sudden shock. As she looked up, she became aware of the fact that she was viewing the doors from the INSIDE. She looked around frantically at the large room she suddenly found herself in. There was a coat rack just beside the doors, holding a long trench coat, dark fedora, and an incredibly long scarf. In the center of the room on an upraised dais there was a large octagon shaped control panel surrounding a crystal cylinder in its center. Virtually every type of knob, lever, switch, and doohickey ever imagined adorned the control panel, and several large screens on extension arms were folded neatly along it’s axis. Twilight turned again to face the double doors, and hesitantly reached out a hoof. The door swung open silently, and Twilight stared out at the same track she had been walking down. She quickly went out of the strange room, and turned to face it from the outside. What she beheld looked to be no more than a small blue shed, about the size of a tool shed. The words ‘Police Box’ were written above the doorway. She walked around the outside of the box, which took her only a moment, then opened the door again and looked inside. She stuck one hoof inside as far as she could reach, and then looked around the side. By all rights, looking at it from the outside, she SHOULD be touching the back wall. But looking back inside she saw that the cavernous room was all too real. Logic told her that she should back away, and get out of here. Maybe call Celestia or Discord, and try to have them explain what she was seeing. But her old friend ‘curiosity’ was whispering his temptations in her ear again, and without another thought she found herself back inside the strange building once again. As the door closed behind her a voice spoke to her from the other side of the room.

“I never get tired of seeing how people... I mean ponies, react to that for the first time.” A mysterious hooded figure says stepping out of the shadows. A figure that Twilight instantly recognizes.

“You!” she says. You were the one on Discord’s viewer. You were there with Zacherle and Muenchinger at the beginning of time.”

“Indeed,” the figure says removing his hooded cloak. “Ah, so nice to be finally rid of that thing. So stifling.”

With his hooded outfit removed Twilight can finally see the stranger for the first time. He is a tan earth pony with a mane of tight brown curls, and a huge toothy grin. He makes his way over to the coat rack and hangs up his former garb, and replaces it with the trench coat, and fedora. He then loops his long scarf loosely around the outer collar of his coat. All the while whistling the tune ‘You’re Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile’.

“Care for a jelly pony?” he asks retrieving a small white bag from his coat pocket.

“Um, okay.” Twilight says, taken somewhat aback by the strangers forthright attitude. She pops the candy in her mouth. “Mmm, that’s quite good. But, really, if you don’t mind, I have rather a lot of questions to ask you. To start with who are you? Where am I? And what in Equestria is going on?”

“How rude of me. I do suppose proper introductions are in order. You may call me the Doctor. Not ‘a’ doctor, just the Doctor. As for where you are, you are inside my Tardis. Which stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space. As for what in ‘Equestria’ going on? Oh Miss Sparkle. More than anyone else on this planet, you are the only one besides myself that knows what’s REALLY been going on. That’s the reason I picked you up. I believe that it’s ‘time’, so to speak, for you and I to have a little talk.”

The Doctor walks over to one of the viewers and rotates it around to face Twilight. On it images begin to play. The final battle with Sorcery deep inside Cordial’s mind. The expression on Discord’s face as he told the ponies in his sitting room about how Zacherle knew ahead of time what was going to happen. The original Cordial’s examination of the fragments of the siege perilous on his viewer. The strange insults that Cordial hurled at Sombra, and his confusion at them. The original Cordial’s red viewer. The look of shock on Cordial’s face after Keil’s statue shattered. The hooded doctor looking out at Discord saying isn’t that right ‘Dis-Cordial’.

“I knew it.” Twilight says. I KNEW I was right. It was so obvious. From the very beginning I thought something was wrong.”

“Yes, I know.” The Doctor says. “It was very clever of you to make a copy of Applejack’s viewer that night, without letting Discord know. You spent many long hours that night making sure of your facts. By the way, did you happen to arrive at a solution to the problem before us?”

Twilight hangs her head. “No,” she says sadly. “Nothing in any of my books or research has offered me any way to fix all this.”

“Ah well, no worries.” The Doctor says with a smile.

“No worries?” Twilight snorts in disbelief. “You DO understand what this means don’t you?” She asks with a glare.

“Oh my dear, believe me when I say, that I understand far better than anyone in this universe. Sit down my dear, I have a lot to tell you,” the Doctor says gesturing at a small table with two chairs that Twilight was sure wasn’t behind her a moment ago.

Twilight makes her way to one of the chairs, which the Doctor holds out for her allowing her to sit. Before he sits himself, he pours two cups of tea from a bone china tea service that adorned the table and offered his guest a scone. He sits down as well and waits until his guest has begun to sip her tea before he speaks.

“Well let’s simply ‘cut to the chase’ as they say. To begin with, you Twilight Sparkle, are the most important being in the universe.”

Twilight sputters her tea, nearly choking. “W-WHAT?!?” she finally manages to say.

“At the moment,” the Doctor adds. “An interesting fact concerning sentient life is, that at one point or another, each and every sentient being is, for a brief moment, the most important being in the universe. We all are part of a great pattern. A great tapestry woven together through time and space. And in this particular time, and this particular place, the most important being in existence is you.”

"O-Okay...”Twilight responds carefully. “And in my particular case, exactly how long am I supposed to be so important?” she asks.

“Oh, pretty much your whole life I’d say.” The Doctor responds nonchalantly.

Twilight sighs deeply. “Of course it is... I am... whatever.”

“Don’t look so down my dear.” The Doctor says. “I’m the one that has been doing all the work.”

He gestures and another viewer swivels around showing more scenes. A younger version of his father and mother before they were married, standing side by side waiting for a train. Suddenly a hoof snakes out knocking her future father sideways, causing his future mother to drop her packages. Her father bends down to help her gather them apologizing profusely.

On another screen the same hoof is seen dropping a ‘Wonderbolts’ comic book on a cloud in Cloudsdale. Defying all gravity the comic doesn’t fall through the clouds, and moments later a very young Rainbow Dash picks it up and starts to flip through the pages.

“Wow, they are so cool” she exclaims.

On another viewer a small baby bunny is lost in the forest, the same tan hooves pick it up and carry it into the Tardis. Moments later the figure emerges and sets in upon a different forest path. After the Tardis departs, a young Fluttershy finds the bunny, and takes it home to care for it. More and more images appear and disappear on the viewer.

“And these are just the circumstances of the lives of you and your friends. Hundreds of thousands of other events had to occur in the past to bring us to the point where Twilight Sparkle would be born, become interested in magic, be sent to Ponyville, and meet her five very special friends.” The Doctor says, folding his arms.

“Wait. Are you trying to tell me...” Twilight begins, and then stops. “Are you trying to tell me that everything that has happened since you first arrived... all the way back to the beginning of time... has all been just so that I, and my friends would exist and one day be together?”

“As your friend Big Macintosh is so fond of saying... YUP.” The Doctor says with a smile.

“But... all the... and the... and, and... Why?” Twilight asks stunned.

The Doctor gestures to the viewer once again. “You reap what you sow my dear,” The figure of the Doctor says sadly to Zacherle, “even I am not sure that this can ever be set to rights. But if I can find a solution, I will return. But understand THIS. I’m not doing it for you two. I’m doing it for the countless lives that will one day exist on this world.”

“Wait, all that’s happened since that time was just to fix the mistake that Zacherle and Muenchinger made? But they did that already. When they sent Cordial to the island and he unmade the last creatures of chaos.” Twilight protests.

“Twilight Evening Sparkle! Don’t you DARE play dumb with ME! We both know what really happened on that day, and trying to play innocent isn’t going to get you out of what happens next.” The Doctor says, his smile somewhat diminished.

“Fine.” Twilight says unhappily. “And what is it I’m going to have to do again?” she asks, dreading the answer.

“You and your friends are going to save the world.” The Doctor says simply.

“Again?” Twilight asks with a pout.

“Again!” The Doctor says with finality.

“I’ve had to do this a lot you know.” She adds peevishly.

“That’s because you’re special.” The Doctor replies. “You’re the-” he begins.

“Most important pony in the universe,” Twilight finishes. “I know, I know. Sheesh!”she says shaking her head. “Look, before we get into this, there’s something that’s been bugging me about you this whole time.”

“Really?” The Doctor asks, genuinely surprised. “Bugging you? About me? Well by all means, let’s here it.”

“It’s obvious that you have powers beyond normal description. You scared our very gods into submission. But you seem to be a normal pony. A normal EARTH pony. How in existence can you wield such powerful magics?” she asks.

“Magic?” The Doctor laughs loud and long. “Magic she says.” and he’s off on another fit of laughter. “Oh Twilight, you of all ponies I would have thought would have realized by now. I have no magic. None at all. Never had. All of what I do, I do with science.” He says beaming with pride. But his words have an immediate effect on Twilight.

“Science?!? Did you just say SCIENCE?!?” Real science? Not like that fake stuff made by the Flim Flam brothers that was actually just powered by their magic.” She says hopefully.

“No, it really is real science.” The Doctor replied in bemused fascination at her attitude.

“{Squee}!” Twilight exclaimed as she leaped up from her chair and ran over to the control panel. “I want you to tell me what this does,” Twilight says excitedly.

“What which does?” The Doctor inquires walking up beside her.

“All of it!” Twilight exclaims.

“But wait, aren’t you the aspect of magic?” The Doctor asks.

“Uh huh,” Twilight says distractedly.

“But you have an interest in science.” he says deadpan.

“Oh yeeeeessss.” Twilight says in a deep throaty voice, which causes the Doctor’s hearts to flutter strangely for a moment.

“Ahem, well... I suppose the fate of the universe can wait for a little while.” The Doctor says regaining his composure as he observes Twilight’s wide eyed expression as she gazes lovingly over the control panel, drool beginning to form at the side of her mouth. “It’s not like we don’t have some extra ‘time’ on our hooves,” the Doctor says, throwing a switch which causes a deep whirring sound to occur as the crystal cylinder in the center of the console begins to move. Twilight lets out another ‘squee’ of delight as the Tardis leaves normal space and time far behind.