• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 16

Part 16
Can I Play With Madness?

“My Dearest Keil,

It has been almost a month since my brother first unlocked his use of chaos. He has made remarkable progress in its usage in that short amount of time. Outward manipulations of matter are almost child’s play for him. He can transform almost any object into nearly anything else, and even seemly create objects out of thin air. He has relearned teleportation, although not to the degree of his former mastery, and shows a remarkable ability to influence the weather. For the past week he has sequestered himself in his chambers, taking only food or drink that is left for him at the door. He says that he is working on the inner applications of chaos, enhancing his senses, and mental abilities. I admit I am becoming concerned. The idea of my brother using chaos on his already fragile mental state worries me greatly, and I intend to confront him about it today, despite any objections he may have. He is my brother, and I love him. But as the ruler of Equestria, I must put the concerns of my people first, and the thought of a mentally unbalanced chaos lord would give any pony reason to worry.

I will write you again as soon as I am able, and let you know of any developments. Kiss Lulu and Sunny for me, and tell them that Mommy loves them both very much.

Always yours,

Harmony.

Harmony sets her recently finished letter ablaze and it is magically transported to her far distant husband. She then takes a moment to gather herself, and makes her way toward her brothers chambers. A guard is posted outside, for Cordial’s ‘protection’, and he bows as his princess approaches.

“Has there been any change today?” Harmony asks.

The guard shifts uncomfortably. “Ah, my lady. Your brother still maintains his solitude. However...” here the guard pauses.

“Yes, what is it? Do go on.” Harmony prompts him.

“My Lady, it seems that today your brother is writing... poetry?” The guard finishes his statement as a question.

“Poetry?” Harmony asks surprised.

“Well your highness, poetry is as close a term as I am able to use concerning what I have been hearing him say through the doors. That is to say, I BELIEVE it is poetry.” the guard finishes somewhat abashedly.

Harmony shakes her head. Her mane waving slightly. “I’ll have a talk with my brother in private. About his ‘poetry’ among other things.” And with that Harmony raps upon the door. “Cordial, it’s me Harmony. I’d like to speak to you, may I come in?”

“Of course dear sister,” comes the somewhat muted reply through the door. “It’s unlocked, please feel free to enter.”

Harmony opens the door and steps inside, shutting it behind her. However as she gazes about the room, she nearly turns and leaves again. Steeling her will she turns back and faces the interior without flinching. The inside of Cordial’s living quarters have been transformed into a cacophony of jumbled and seemly random series of planes and angles. Furniture sat quite normally on sections of floor set at a forty-five degree angle to where she was standing. A love seat was sitting on the back corner of the ceiling, and sections of the walls were checkered and striped seemingly at random. Above it all Cordial was flying in lazy spirals, criss-crossing at times, the chandeliers that were hung from the ceiling. Looking down, he paused long enough to address his sister.

“Sister! You are just in time. I have just finished my latest poem. Would you like to hear it?” Cordial asks with a smile.

“Poem?” Harmony replies. “Why uh, yes brother dear, I would be delighted to hear what you have written. I had no idea that you had developed an interest in such things.”

“Oh indeed, my sister. Just recently I had been working on expanding my consciousness.

You would be amazed what a tiny amount of chaos can do to open up the learning centers of the brain. All sorts of intuitive understandings about the nature of the universe are just constantly pouring in. It’s an amazing way of learning things.” Cordial says as he resumes his casual flying across the underside of the ceiling.

“And the um... poetry?” Harmony asks.

“Oh, I’m just doing that on the side. To pass the time as it were, while my mind is loading down all this new knowledge into it.” Cordial says absently.

“So this ‘down loading’ of knowledge. It’s just coming to you, from out of nowhere?” Harmony asks skeptically.

“Well to be quite honest, I’m not really sure.” Cordial replies coming to a stop. “The other day I was experimenting with using chaos to enhance my senses. Incidentally, I can now see in the dark quite well. Anyway, since it occurred to me that thought was just another form of energy, that perhaps if I added just a drop of chaos, that it might enhance my thinking processes as well. And oh my how it has!” Cordial says happily.

“Wait, you experimented on your own brain?” Harmony asks horrified.

“Oh now sister, don’t worry so. It was only the smallest drop of chaos. At first I hadn’t even noticed if it had done anything. Ah, but then, then, I began to have these wonderful intuitions. I began to see the interconnectedness of all things. Sister dear, I know everyone is unaware of this, but there is a great and vast pattern to all of reality. Moreover, if one can just take a step back so to speak, mentally that is, they are able to comprehend a larger portion of the pattern.” Cordial says excitedly.

“And this pattern,” Harmony asks, “this is the fabric of reality we are talking about?”

“Yes, yes. Exactly!” Cordial says his eyes wide. “Each time we do magic, whether it is chaotic, or order based, what we are doing is altering a small section of the tapestry of all reality. Furthermore, I believe that with proper contemplation of the pattern, that a magic user of even the smallest ability should be able to effect vast changes to large areas of the pattern as a whole. It would simply come down to knowing what thread to pull at the proper time. Metaphorically speaking of course.”

“Oh, of course,” Harmony says, her mind whirling at the implications of her brother’s casual remarks. “Um Cordial,” Harmony says, trying to change the subject to something less potentially world ending, “didn’t you say something about a poem?”

“Oh yes, of course my dear sister. Pull up a seat,” Cordial gestures as one floats by, I know you will simple love it!” Discord begins flying in a slow figure eight as he pulls forth a piece of parchment and begins to recite...

“I, in my innocence,

Had, in a sense,

an incident,

which incised my sense,

of sensitivity, then.

To go back to when,

what was now, then,

as if this was when,

the time in which, the ‘then’ did began.

I then had a thought,

of the thought, that I had,

when I was thinking the thought,

from the time before now.

And this thought, I was thinking,

was the thought that kept linking,

the thinking of thoughts,

from the past to the now.

So I’ll speak, so to speak,

On the spark, that I spoke of,

And the lark, that the spark,

That I spoke of entailed.

And I’ll say, that is to say,

To say, of the way,

In which the way, was waylaid,

On the way, down it’s trail.

For you see, what I saw,

When I said, what I’d seen,

Was to say, shall we say,

Not seen, as it should.

From the way, so to say,

of how it should’ve been seen,

then you’d see, as I said,

how things should’ve stood.

But it’s time I confessed,

that the more I digressed,

I was forced to repress,

a growing sense of unease.

For the course, of my course,

In it’s coarseness, of course,

had took me off course,

from the course, I had seized.

So what once was so clear,

Was no longer I fear,

as clearly as clear,

as it was then, before.

So to, is the rhyme,

of the time, and it’s clime,

and the thoughts so sublime,

that I mentioned before.

Which leads me to this,

that the thought that I missed,

that I missed from the list,

of the thoughts that I had.

Was by listing the list,

of the thoughts on my list,

then my brain did insist,

I was totally mad...”

“So?” What do you think?” Cordial asks expectantly.

“Ah...” Harmony says, pausing in thought. “That was... very interesting brother dear. Yes, most interesting indeed,” she says backing slowly toward the door. “Ah, if you’ll excuse me, I just remembered an important letter that I had to finish writing.”

“Oh of course dear sister. Please feel free to drop back in later. I’ll see if I can come up with something new by then.” Cordial says, resuming his figure eights.

In Discord’s sitting room the chaos lord cannot help but notice that Pinky Pie is staring at him in pure adulation. Discord pauses the remote in spite of himself.

“Is everything alright Pinky?” he inquires.

“Uncle Discord,” Pinky Pie says in an awe filled voice, “you are the greatest poet ever!” she says jumping up and giving him a big hug.

“Um, well, thank you Pinky.” Discord says blushing. “You, um, you can let go now.” He adds, but Pinky only hugs him tighter. “No really, you can let me go... aaaany time now...” He glances to the side to see Fluttershy’s expression begin to change. Thousands of years worth of self preservation instinct kick in. “Pinky, I really, really think it would be a good idea to let me go... like, right now.” But his cries seem to fall on deaf ears, as Pinky has now begun to actually purr, as she buries her muzzle in his coat. Discord can almost feel daggers being stared into his back, and all of his instincts begin to scream at him to ‘not turn around’, because it would be a ‘very BAD idea’. Instead Discord snaps his claw, and he says to Pinky, “Oh look, a plate of freshly baked cookies and chocolate milk... way on the OTHER side of the room!” In the blink of an eye Discord is now Pinky-less, and the sounds of contented munching reaches his ears, as the solar eruption that has been going on behind him slowly begins to cool. Looking up for the first time, he notices that every pony else in the room was holding in barely restrained laughter.

“No one likes a critic,” he mutters as he lifts the remote, and presses a button.

Author's Note:

Despite my desire to create a intricate and complex, and hopefully, both a moving and fulfilling story...
Sometimes I just can't help myself.
I tried to hold back on adding the poem, honest I did... :raritywink: