• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 1,488 Views, 40 Comments

A Musician's Shadow - Evowizard25



Octavia has an esteemed fan with a dark secret.

  • ...
2
 40
 1,488

Morning Talks

I’m actually quite glad I decided to curse this place when I was destroyed a thousand years ago. For reasons beside hurting her. If I hadn’t, who knows how backwards I would seem compared to the rest of the ponies here. I would not be less than them. They are beneath me. Going by a few comments I remember Octavia mentioning a few things that I had no idea what they were. Electricity? Trains? Was a train those metal boxes that moved? I shall steal their metal boxes and make them my own. It should be dark and foreboding and named ‘Shadow Runner’. That was a fearsome name for a moving metal box.

“We have no times for metal boxes,” my mother’s voice hissed in my mind. “Contact that Octavia mare now and get on with this. The sooner we’ve dealt with the Elements and/or enslaved them, the sooner we can be freed.”

I nodded, “Very well then.” I stood up and trotted over to the door. This place was certainly run down. Did I not send enough funds this way, or were the crystal ponies too stupid to use them? Either way, they will pay for forcing me to sleep in this infernal pig sty. I don’t care if they like this ‘simple’ apartment. I am King Sombra. That means I deserve the best of the best.

Anyways, that Octavia mare would take some time finding. She was probably at the castle or at one of the finer stops in the city. A mare with her standing surely wouldn’t resort to a place like this. Opening the door, my eyes widened as I saw that very mare right before me. She looked just as shocked as I was.

“Somber?” Octavia blinked in surprise.

“Octavia?” I did as well. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m living here for the time being,” she answered honestly, causing me to widen my eyes. “Does that surprise you?”

“Well yes,” I answered truthfully. I had to watch my word choices. “You’re too refined a mare to simply stay at a place like this.”

“Usually that would be true,” she nodded. “But there weren’t really any vacant spots open in the higher class suites and I honestly didn’t want to intrude. I’m not going to force these poor ponies to bend to my wishes. That would make me as bad as Sombra.”

I frowned internally. ‘I’ll show you how bad I can truly be one day.’ “Well as long as you had a good night’s rest, that’s all that matters. Perhaps you would be interested in having a bit of breakfast together.”

“My, my,” Octavia smirked. “Aren’t you forward.”

I blushed slightly. I know I’m supposed to get her to like me, but mares were always my weakness. I just couldn’t talk to them and the only one I could… I lost my blush. “Oh it’s nothing like that. I just wish to talk with you a bit more.”

She chuckled, which was rather cute. “Of course.”

Contrary to some, I don’t care much for stairs. They do make for very good deterrents and the more stairs a hero has to climb, the more tired they get and the slower they are in a fight. It paid off a few times, before the princesses came to stop me. Yet, for some reason, the would be assassins that survived said I had a ‘stair fetish’. Perhaps it was their way of trying to degrade me. Cutting their heads off was truly satisfying.

We didn’t really say much for the next few moments. We just sat down and ate a few pieces of buttered bread and milk. Just simple peasant food. It seems that some districts have not received needed funds, or the crystal ponies were too stupid to use them properly. They couldn’t even be bothered to bring a bagel, the swine.

“So Octavia,” I began. “For how long are you staying here, in the Crystal Empire?” Straight and to the point. Hopefully, it wouldn’t be too long. My mind magic would make short work of her, but there were two reasons why that was a bad idea. The first is that someone would notice. They’d detect the dark magic and no matter how skillful I was, Celestia or a trained mage could still spot it. It’s why I sent that foolhardy hotel owner to a less populated place until it wore off.

The second is that some ponies can withstand it to an extent. That’s the say, only if they have a strong will. I could tell by looking into her eyes, using mind magic on her would be too much of a hassle. Well, at least at my current power level.

“A week,” she answered, delicately wiping her luscious lips with a hoofkerchief. Those pouty lips that looked so smooth and so welcoming. Such lips a poet could get lost in thought about. Those lips…. Accursed new body. This isn’t the time for mating. I had an empire to rebuild. “We have a few clients to meet elsewhere and my cousin wishes for me to host one of her parties.”

I quirked an eyebrow at the frustration I heard in her voice, “You don’t like your cousin?”

“I love her with all my heart,” Octavia said. “But that mare can be a pink tornado of destruction when she puts her mind to it.”

I would make sure to avoid this pink tornado. She sounds like a worthy adversary. Perhaps once I have best the elements, I shall put her ‘tornado’ powers to the test. Our battle shall be legendary. Sombra, destroyer of tornadoes!

“FOCUS!” My mother screamed in my head, causing me to wince. Seeing Octavia’s concerned look, I held up a hoof. “Just a headache. I get them a lot.”

“Perhaps you should let a doctor take a look at you,” she frowned. “Just to be safe.”

I shook my head, “No thank you. It’s alright. Let’s just say, I’ve lived a hard life. This is the least of my worries.”

Octavia nodded, “True. Equestria isn’t always sunshine and rainbows like everyone believes it to be. However, I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.” She gave a smile as she looked out the window. “Hopefully, the Crystal ponies will be just as content as we are soon enough.”

I almost snorted. Crystal ponies were never content. They always wanted more. They always dug further then they should have. Crystal ponies are greedy, heartless fellows that should be left alone. I didn’t tell Octavia this, however. Perhaps she’ll learn soon enough. “Maybe. It’s certainly an interesting place, but not as interesting as…” I tapped my chin in thought. “Where are the Elements living again?”

“Ponyville,” Octavia answered. “And trust me, there is no place stranger than that town. I should know. Ever since my cousin trashed the last Grand Galloping Gala, I’ve had to live there for a while. Canterlot was a little… haywire after that travesty.”

Truly, I can’t wait to meet this pink monster mare. “Well I know you’ve been keeping yourself well and that’s the important thing.”

She chuckled, “Yes. If you don’t have your health, you don’t have anything. That’s what my father always told me.”

“Your father sounds rather wise,” I smiled. “I’d like to meet him one day.”

“Trust me,” Octavia shook her head. “No you don’t.”

I shrugged, “Very well then. How about Ponyville?”

Octavia tapped her chin, “If you really want to come to Ponyville, I can’t see why you can’t join us on our own trip.”

I grinned, “Excellent.” Foolish mare. You’re playing right into my hooves. Now there is nothing that can stop my conquest. Nothing!.... Huh, nothing happened. Usually when I go along this line of thinking, something happens to me. Perhaps my luck is changing. Perhaps the curvaceous form before me was ripe for the……

Ah yes, I remember one of the nuisances about having a pulse. This would be so much easier if I was in my natural form. Now I have to keep this primitive libido in check. Of course I do. This is just how it always goes, isn’t it? It’s just like with Radiant when kept throwing her hips around in my face and….. No, I will not think of that mare. Never, ever again.

“Somber?” Octavia broke my train of thought. “Is something troubling you? Are your headaches getting worse?”

I quickly shook my head. These foolish mortal emotions are getting in the way of my mission. “Absolutely not. I’m just a little tired is all. I didn’t get much sleep last night.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” she said. “If you wish, I can leave you be.”

I shook my head again. “That won’t be necessary. I was rather hoping we could explore the empire together, since we’re both new here. A mutual sense of discovery might showcase a few hidden treasures.”

Octavia nodded, “You’re quite right. Shall we be off then?”

“Let’s,” I grinned. My hate would get me through this. If I could concentrate on that, everything else won’t bother me. I just need to hold out a couple more weeks and the Element bearers will be mine.

_________________________________________________________________________

My wicked laughter filled the room as my plan coming into effect. Everything was going into place perfectly. It was just so brilliant that I couldn’t help but jump in glee. “Yes, Yes, yes, yes!”

My hunk of a husband just stared at me, “Umm, Cadance? What’s got you so giddy?”

I stopped before him and giggled, “My little brother Blueblood is coming over.”

Shining groaned, “Great.” I never understood why my Shiny couldn’t get along with Bluey. Bluey was the most well spoken, likable stallion outside of Shining himself. They were just so alike. Hmm, perhaps that’s the reason. I’d fix that later.

“Now Shining Armor,” I gave him a stern gaze. “I want you two to get along.”

“Yes ma’am,” he grunted.

“Oh don’t be so down in the dumps,” I gave him a quick peck on the lips, which made him smile like it always did. “You still have me and Twilight who, by the way, is also coming over.”

“Twiley’s coming over?” He beamed, before narrowing his eyes. “Wait a moment. Both Blueblood AND Twilight are coming over? At the same time?”

My eyes shifted away from him as I gave him a cute ‘I don’t know what you are implying’ face. “Of course.”

“You’re up to something, aren’t you?” Shining deadpanned. “What have I told you about shipping my sister?”

“She needs someone more than most,” I answered, jabbing my hoof out dramatically. “Can’t you see it?”

“No,” he answered.

“Why are we married again?” I sat down, crossed my forehooves, and pouted. He could be a real stuck in the mud sometimes.

Shining, my oh so adorable but infuriating Shining, chuckled and kissed my cheek. “You know why.” He whispered into my ear. “Several reasons why in fact.”

I blushed. Even now, he could make my heart flutter. “Oh stop it.”

“But seriously,” Shining snorted as he back away. “Blueblood and Twilight are never going to be a thing.”

I narrowed my eyes. Challenge accepted. It was going to be a thing, even if I dragged this empire down with me.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait. I didn't exactly have any ideas about the very next chapter. :twilightblush: Hopefully this will suffice.

Please remember to leave a comment. Those are always helpful. :twilightsmile: