• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 1,487 Views, 40 Comments

A Musician's Shadow - Evowizard25



Octavia has an esteemed fan with a dark secret.

  • ...
2
 40
 1,487

The First Meeting

It was always a sad moment, having to leave the stage. I sometimes wish I could stay there forever and play on and on. Silly really, but that’s just how much I love this job. This art. My friends were almost as giddy as I as we left the stage, though perhaps I was the only one apprehensive of leaving. Yes, it must be just me. This is just some silly filly thought really.

“That performance was gut, ja?” Frederick Horshoepin always seemed to have a pep in his step. I’m lucky to have met the Germane honestly. He’s my oldest and dearest of friends and he always knows how to make me smile.

“Sehr gut,” Beauty Brass giggled, poorly imitating a Germane accent. She was the most ‘out-going’ player in the band, with only Pinkie Pie and Vinyl out-gunning her enthusiasm. It’s bad enough I have one friend that keeps trying to drag me to ‘parties’, or what you can call those booming light shows, I have the misfortune of having two.

Joy.

Still, she was a treat to have around. Frederick has had a crush on her for years. The poor dear just can’t seem to work up the nerve to ask and Beauty seems oblivious to it. I shant interfere. This is for them to work out. Besides, what do I know about romance? A few ‘flings’ here and there honestly don’t count.

“I do believe we ‘knocked their socks off, as the phrase goes.” I chuckled and the other followed suit. It’s not that funny of an expression, but we felt so good we’d laugh at anything. “Parish, was it good for you?” He nodded. “Simply smashing.”

Harpo Parish Nandermane was mute. We never held it against him, because he seemed to communicate well enough without speaking. Either that, or we’ve just known him long enough to guess adequately what he’s saying. He was the strongest of us, so he often worked as a unofficial ‘bodyguard’. He had a knack for ridding us of pesky reporters.

“Beautiful,” an elderly Crystal stallion walked up to us. “Simply beautiful. I have to say that might be the best performance I’ve seen in a thousand years.”

I rolled my eyes, but smiled at the poor joke anyways. “Well you didn’t hire any old band of musicians, for we are-” the four of us formed up, striking elegant poses. “The Harmonics.” I should note we were drunk when we picked the name and poses. It just stuck with us afterwards.

“Of course,” the stallion nodded, smiling from ear to ear. “I wouldn’t think otherwise. I can’t thank you enough for what you’re doing. I’m sorry if we can’t pay you enough, but King Sombra locked away most of our jewelry and other valuables. We’re still trying to find them. I assure you that we’ll pay you handsomely once we’ve located enough.”

I shook my head. “No, we couldn’t accept.”

“The pay is fine, but we thank you for the sentiment.” Beauty chipped in. “We’re already pretty rich, so it’s not going to hurt to play a few free concerts.”

“We’re just happy to help,” Frederick smiled.

“Seeing the beauty of an empire lost to time is an added bonus,” Beauty said.

The crystal stallion nodded. “Yes, I would imagine. I wish you the best of days here in the empire.”

“You as well,” I, and the rest of my merry band, bowed our heads in parting. The stallion returned it and we departed. It was sad feeling, having to leave the concert hall. Still, a little sightseeing and relaxation would do me good. That and a vacation from ‘party all night’ Vinyl is a bonus. She is a dear friend, but a pony can only handle so many ‘wubs’.

That word still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Even though my heart yearned to once more dwell in the hall of fair music, I knew a break would be good for me. My suite called for me. More specifically, my bed. Though I didn’t want to take advantage of these ponies, being a ‘star’ figure does have its perks. Given how little sleep I had last night given my anxiety, I am in dire need of a little shut eye.

However, it seemed it would take a little while longer to reach my just deserved rest. He was a simple unicorn stallion with earthen colors. Strange really. Unicorns usually have vivid and strange colors. While his colors were plain, his body….his body was anything but. He was muscular, almost earth pony like. I’ve never seen such defined muscles on a unicorn before other than soldiers.

He was handsome, not just in body but in his face. He had a squared muzzle with such striking features. I...I just don’t know how to put it. I had to get a grip of myself. I would not drool over some random, good looking stallion like a school filly. No, I am Octavia Melody. I have tons of good looking male fans. I would not drool.

“Uhh, Octavia?” Beauty giggled and closed my jaw. “You’re drooling.”

BLAST! “Oh, sorry.” I cleared my throat. “Can we help you?”

“Very much so,” his smile was enchanting and his deep, baritone voice was the same. Though it was odd how the crystal ponies around us seem to shiver at the voice. A random crystal wavelength or something?

__________________________________________________________________________

This mare was lovelier in person than from afar. She held herself with such regality that I would assume right in her noble status and blood. A part of myself wanted to hate her for it. Nobility was weakness. They are too shallow and simple minded. They prop themselves up on pedestals because of their ‘lineage’, not their deeds. They made my childhood a living Tartarus. If I had more time to further my reign, I would have gladly done more than humiliate them.

Oh well. I can execute them when I retake my homeland.

Her eyes caught my attention once again. This time, i could see how vibrant they are. How they sparkled in the daylight. Noble or not, this was a beautiful mare. Her coat and mane reminded me of my own kind. A pleasing coincidence.

“I am new to the empire,” I stated, remembering my body’s fake history. “And I had just came from your concert. I have to say that your talent does this empire some real good.” Moreso than any crystal musician for sure.

“Oh thank you,” the gray mare smiled. Her voice was accented. I couldn’t place what it was. Equestrians had strange manners of speaking. “It is always nice to meet a fan, but we were on our way for a little respite.”

I bowed my head. “Of course, but I was hoping to get your name.”

Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see the blue mare elbow the purple stallion. “I think we’ll just head on ahead, Octavia. You and your fan need some time alone.” She giggled.

Octavia? Such a fitting name for a beauty the likes any Umbran could only hope to match. Octavia glared at the blue mare as the others left. Good. I’d rather make this short and sweet. Talk with her for a bit. Sate my curiosity. Conquer the empire. Those sorts of things were a definite must on my list of things to do.

“As my friend has already let slip,” Octavia stated, looking at me once more. “I am Octavia Melody. Who might you be?”

“Som-”

‘SILENCE!’ My mother’s voice rang in my mind. ‘You foolish foal of mine. Still your tongue.’



Of course, lying to this mare won’t be of any consequence.

‘Thank you, mother.’ I spoke to her.

“Som what?” Octavia tilted her head in question.

“Somber Note,” I nodded my head. “At your service.”

“It is nice to meet you, Somber Note.” She smiled. “Fans are always welcome, but I am tired. Can we meet another time?”

“Perhaps,” I spoke. This mare had nothing to do with my reemergence. She was nothing. I didn’t need to speak with her again. I just wanted to hear her music. “I am a busy stallion.”

“I know the feeling,” Octavia stated. “Of course, most Ponyvillians know it well enough. It seems to be a trait we all share now that we live with the Elements.”

I blinked in confusion. “The Elements? The Elements of Harmony?” Impossible. The Princesses lived in the Everfree Castle. Only they wielded the Elements and they rarely came amongst the common folk. They are just like the noble scum that infest this city. Empire? Bah. Just a title the sickening nobles wanted to give this city state so they can feel important. I will make this place a true empire. Just like the ‘god’ titles the sister’s possessed. I will take both and smash them to pieces.

Octavia nodded. The motion pulled me away from my dark thoughts. “Oh yes, I know them well enough. I often go with Rarity, the Element of Generosity, to the spa. She is, what you could say, a dear friend of mine.”

This Octavia wasn’t just a wonderful musician, but knew these ‘new bearers’? Incredible. I never thought a mortal could wield an Element, or is this ‘Rarity’ a new god? Hmm, I will have to look into this…

Or maybe not. Maybe I needed somepony who already knew well enough about them. Somepony who could lead me to the Elements so I can drain them of their power and use it for my own goals. Yes, that is perfect. There was little chance I could take my empire back with what I had to work with. I needed something more. A place to scheme away from the infernal Crystal Heart. It would drain me sooner or later, killing me slowly. I can stand a few months, but more than that? No. I need something more. This mare can lead me to it.

“Interesting,” I smiled what I hoped my a charming smile. Since she didn’t cringe or scream in fear, I supposed I pulled it off. It helps that I don’t have fangs anymore. “I know that you are a busy mare, but I would love to hear more. You lead an intriguing life.”

“That I do,” Octavia nodded. “I think I can spare an hour or two. Other than the concert, I had nothing planned for today.”

“Great. Since we’re both new here, perhaps we can do a bit of exploring, hmm?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Octavia walked by my side.

This was going to be easy. I’m sure my form and my own charisma could charm this mare into doing whatever I wished. I was on my way back to my throne and all I had to do was befriend this mare. What could go wrong?

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and please leave a comment. They are much appreciated. :twilightsmile: