• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 3,023 Views, 35 Comments

The Light Kingdom - Rakoon1



When an envoy of a fallen kingdom appears, a quest to restore the kingdom will begin, whart will make Twilight and her friends enter in a race against time to retrieve the star seeds of the six Generals of the Order to find what might raise it.

  • ...
4
 35
 3,023

Where the Peace is Hidden, Part II

After they had passed through the door of the room where they faced independent weapons and a living statue, they entered in a corridor lit by torches and eventually they reach a large wrought iron gate. Shining and Blue opened the gates and they and Twilight entered in the next chamber.

It was a dark chamber and, as they walked through the room, they could see shards of red rock and white rock, something that was truly gloomy.

"I don't like this" Twilight said, standing right next to her husband. "I don't like this at all.

"Where are we?" Blue asked, looking around, while stopping. "In a graveyard?"

Shining, however, realized exactly what that was.

"This is not a graveyard" he said, moving and passing by what appeared to be statues and entering in a polished red and white checkered floor, stopping after a few steps. "It's a chessboard."

Torches lit around what turned out to be a gigantic board with sixty-four squares, half white and half red, all alternated. In each the first two rows on each side there were giant pieces made in stone, having the triple the size of ponies, and the closest were red and the others were white. The second line of each side had in each square the smallest pieces that were slightly bigger than a pony, taking the form of armor earth ponies with a sword sheath on each side and a shield. In the first row of each side there were the bigger pieces, all arranged in a precise position: each end had a tower with a pony on the top with a shield and a sword in attack position; then, next to the towers, there were armored pegasi with spears; next to the pegasi, there were unicorns holding a staff; next to the unicorn on the left side of each side, there was an alicorn queen holding a rapier sword and next to the unicorn on the right side of each side, there was a unicorn king holding a sword.

Twilight and Blue went to his side, noting also the pieces.

"You're right, Shining" Twilight said. "It's really a chessboard. It even has the pieces: the pawns, the rooks, the pegasi, the unicorns, the queen and the king."

"Ok, can you explain to me what is this?" Blue asked.

"Yeh, right, chess is not a very popular game" Twilight said. "But it was a long time ago. It was played mostly by unicorns."

"The goal is to capture the king" Shining commented. "Each piece has its own movements. It's a strategy game and resembles a fight between two kingdoms."

"So do we have to play to pass?" Twilight asked.

"There's only one way to find out" Blue said.

He began to move around the board toward the gate which was on the other side, but when he approached of the pawns, they came to life and took their swords and exposed them, blocking the way. Blue retreated and they picked up the swords, returning to the same position. The blue unicorn returned to the edge of the others and said:

"Well, we'll have to play. How do we do this?"

"Shining was always the best at chess" Twilight said.

"It was my father who taught me and it was my grandfather who taught him, before..." Shining said, pausing slightly before continuing. "Well, before he leaves to the Desolate Zone."

There was a pause and then Shining recomposed himself and said:

"But it's better to concentrate on the game. To get through that gate, we have to play. But don't just play, we have to be the pieces and win. Well, Blue, you’ll be the king-side unicorn. Twilight, will be the queen-side rook. And for me, I'll be the king-side pegasus."

After he said this, the pony on top of the queen-side rook came out of it and left the board, along with the unicorn and the pegasus that Shining had named. Shining even won wings and a spear of red stone and his horn disappeared (although it was expected that it would return as soon as the game ended), while Twilight won a sword and Blue won a staff, both made of red stone. Then, they occupied their respective places, with Twilight rising up to the rook.

"So what now?" Blue asked to Shining.

"Well, whites move first" said Shining. "And then... we play."

It was then that the pawn in front of the king advanced two squares in front.

"Shining, I was thinking" Twilight said to his brother. "Do you think this is going to be like the unicorn chess?"

Shining also had thought that and then turned to the pawn in front of his queen and said:

"You there, D5."

Then the pawn has advanced two squares in front, getting in the diagonal front of the other pawn. The white pawn then came to life, drew its swords and struck the red pawn, cracking it into many pieces and throwing it off the board, then taking over its place. Both gasped with what had happened.

"Yes, Twily, I think this is going to be... exactly like the unicorn chess."

Thus began a battle between the red pieces and the white pieces. Shining was who gave the orders to the red pieces, while the white pieces were moving on their own, probably commanded by the yellow star seed. The white pieces began to take many red pieces, but Shining could recover while taking as many whites as possible, while at the same time ensured that he, Blue and Twilight were safe. The longer the game wore on, the harder they became. The most dangerous white piece was undoubtedly the queen, who was also the most powerful one.

It was then that they reached the pivotal moment of the game, a moment that could decide everything, since everything happens when the white queen ousted the other red rook. Shining seemed to know exactly what he had to do and Twilight, who also knew the game, soon made the same conclusion that his brother, after observing the disposition of the pieces.

"Wait a minute" she said.

"You understand, don't you, sis?" Shining said. "When I make my move, the queen will take me and then Blue will be free to check the white king and finish the game."

"No" said Twilight. "Shining, NO!"

"But what is it?" Blue asked Twilight.

"He's going to sacrifice himself" Twilight answered him.

"Shining, you can't!" exclaimed Blue. "There has to be another way!"

"You want to get the yellow star seed or not?" he asked. "It is imperative that we take it and if sacrifice myself in the game will allow us to move forward, then so be it."

"But, Shining..." Twilight started.

Shining ignored her and turned to Blue, saying:

"Blue, you know I'm right. It’s our duty as royal guards. When the queen takes me, the only thing you need to do is moving until you reach the king and the game is won. Please, in the name of our friendship and our mission, promise me you’ll do it."

Blue didn’t respond immediately, thinking about everything. Shining was his friend and would cost him to see him to sacrifice himself, but he knew they had to retrieve the yellow star seed. Apart from that, he knew Shining and he knew that nothing would make Shining forget that idea. He waved. Twilight, despite not agreeing, had no choice but to accept that crazy idea. Shining then took a deep breath and said:

"Here I go."

Shining advanced two squares in front and then moved one to the left.

"Check" he said.

Almost immediately, the white queen turned in his direction and began to move horizontally towards him. Twilight couldn't look when she saw the queen two squares away, knowing what would happen when it came on Shining’s edge. It was then that the queen has arrived to the square where Shining was and stopped right in front of him. It was then that it came to life, took its rapier sword and gave a blow in Shining, throwing him off the board, where he fell unconscious, with the stone wings and the stone spear breaking and his horn reappearing. Twilight had to contain herself to not leave her rook to go to his brother and Blue too, but both knew that they couldn't do that. Blue then took a deep breath and began to move on the diagonal until he reach the edge of the white king and, when he was in the place Shining had indicated, stopped and said:

"Checkmate."

It was then that the white king dropped his sword fell to the ground. None of the other white pieces moved. This can only mean one thing, they had won the game.

Now that they were free, Blue and Twilight (who had left the rook) went to Shining to see how he was. He seemed to be fine, just passed out.

"And now, what do we do?" Blue asked. "We can't leave him here alone."

"So you go" Twilight replied.

Seeing Blue’s face, Twilight said:

"Blue, I'm sure you're the only one who can retrieve the yellow star seed, now that Shining is unconscious."

"But I don't know if I can" Blue said. "You saw how were the yellow star seed’s defenses so far. I may not be able to get past the last one."

But then Twilight turned Blue to her and told him with a lot of assertiveness:

"You will do it. You have to believe that."

"I don't know, Twilight" Blue said. "Honestly, I don't know."

Twilight started thinking in something that could encourage Blue to continue, then she realized it was time to tell Blue the truth about her pregnancy.

"Blue, I have something to tell you" Twilight said, making her stallion turn to her. "Did you remember my nauseas and my mood swings?"

Blue nodded.

"I discovered what they were" Twilight continued. "Cadance and Heartbeat told me. Blue... I'm pregnant."

That revelation left Blue in shock, as if he had bumped with something right in the face.

"You're what?" he asked.

"Pregnant" Twilight repeated. "Blue, we're going to have a foal. A son."

Blue was unimpressive for a few moments. Twilight was worried about his reaction, but it was then that a smile appeared on his face and he said:

"I'm going to be a father. I'm going to be a father!"

And he gave a roar of joy, something that gladdened Twilight a lot. Blue gave her a big kiss and said:

"My love, despite the situation we're in, you just gave me the most wonderful news of all. But, why didn't you say anything?"

"First, because of everything that's happening" Twiligt replied. "Then because I didn't know how you'd react."

"Twily, I always wanted to be a father" Blue said. "You just made me the happiest stallion in the world. And you just gave me the energy to move forward with this."

Twilight smiled and said:

"I'm so glad for you."

Blue then kissed Twilight, passing then his hoof by her stomach, and said:

"I will be back with the star seed, you can to be sure of that."

"Good luck" Tiwlight wished.

Blue then stood up and began moving towards the gate that would send him to the last defense. He opened it and then passed it. He walked through a long corridor until he reach a door. Before opening it, he took a deep breath and opened it.

He found himself in a room, a fantastic one. It was lit by a yellow light and the walls were covered with gilt, making the room look shinier. There was a necklace Blue acknowledged as being the alicorn amulet in a pedestal, a table full of gold coins, another table full of food, a pillar where there was a pony tied up with his head covered by a bag with two crossed swords in front of him and in the back of the room there was a pedestal where upon there was a bell jar where there was the yellow star seed, where at its side was what seemed to be a mare with an old dress and with a long veil covering her face and with a crown on her head. She must be an illusion of a queen or a princess. Blue smiled when he saw the star seed. It was then that he noticed a pedestral at his edge with a sign with a warning:

"If my treasure you want to take,
Some choice you have to make,
If you want my precious powerfull light,
Or what can fulfill your most delight. "

Blue mused seriously on that warning. Apparently, he had to choose what he wanted: the star seed or any of the other things. That was obviously a trap. He sincerely doubted that anypony would be so foolish to choose only one among all the things that were in front of him, and he spoke only for gold, food, the alicorn amulet and the yellow star seed. It was then that he noticed in some circular grooves on top of the room, on each side. They should fire some missiles, if Blue didn't do everything properly. He then moved through the room.

He reached the edge of the alicorn amulet, wondering how could it be if it had been destroyed when he and Twilight had defeated Dark Hole. Then, suddenly, he felt incredibly drawn to the amulet. The temptation to pick it up and put it was huge. He could feel its power calling him. With that power, he could do anything, including defeating Fire Punch and the Lord of Chaos, recover the star seeds and the Light Kingdom. Blue raised the hoof to pick it up, but then he stopped. No, he couldn't do that. Despite the power that the alicorn amulet would give him, he knew it would corrupt him and makes him do what he didn't want to do. He removed the hoof of the alicorn amulet and said:

"Power corrupts. I am not corrupt."

And then the pedestal with the alicorn amulet disappeared.

Blue advance and reached the table where there was lots of gold coins. For a moment, the willingness to take in all that money came to his mind, but then he wondered what he would do with all that money, plus he didn't want to depend on gold coins and, besides, he had everything he wanted: freedom, love, friends and family.

"The money binds. I like my freedom. In addition, I have things more valuable."

And the table with the money disappeared.

Blue advanced and arrived at the table with plenty of food. The blue unicorn had a very sweet tooth, but he would never have the stomach for a lot of food. Besides, he could eat anytime.

"My gluttony is big, but not that big."

The table with the food disappeared.

He arrived at the pillar where there was the pony with the covered face tied with the crossed swords right in front of the pillar. Curious, Blue extended the hoof and took the bag which was covering his face and he was amazed to find Fire Punch. Seeing him and having the swords there by hoof, Blue felt an enormous anger, remembering everything that bastard had done: stealing Shining’s girlfriend; cheating on the test to know who will be the Captain of the Royal Guard, endangering Blue and Shining’s lives; mistreating Cadance; ruin Blue and Twilight’s wedding, absorbing all her love only to become the most powerful being of Equestria and now trying to steal the Generals of Order’s star seeds to find the original star seed to deliver the Lord of Chaos. All this gave Blue the will to end him once and for all. Then he remembered that wouldn't fix everything he had done, because now everything was fine. In addition, Blue would never attack a helpless enemy, despite knowing that Fire Punch wouldn't do the same. And he wouldn’t ruin his life because of him. He moved away from the pillar, saying:

"Revenge erodes us inside. I'm not coming down to the same level as my enemies’."

And the pillar with Fire Punch disappeared.

So there was only one thing: the pedestal with the jelly jar which contained within itself the yellow star seed. He approached it, but he noticed that he didn't know how to take the star seed. Then he noticed the queen or the princess with the dress and her face covered. Maybe Blue should do more to get the star seed, in addition to resist and reject all those offers. He tried to think just like Golden Paladin, but it was difficult, considering that he just had to base on what he had heard about him. Therefore, he only had one choice: build on the defenses established by his star seed.

The first defense was the weapons and the statue, something that tested their skill and control. Then it was the chessboard that tested the reasoning and the self-sacrifice. Then, following the code of honor of a true soldier, that defense should test the dignity. A soldier would be only fully worthy after resist any temptation to divert him from his real mission to protect and serve those who cannot defend themselves, being loyal to everypony and especially to whom he had given his word of serfdom.

He looked to the queen or princess who was in there and Blue realize that she should represent Princess Aurora, Golden Paladin’s sovereign. Then he advanced to Princess Aurora’s representation, knelt and kissed her hoof, as proof of his chivalry and respect. She then gestured to the bell jar and it disappeared, freeing the yellow star seed, disappearing then. Blue rose up and then took the star seed. He had succeeded.

Twilight was in the chessboard chamber, caring his older brother. It was then that he began to wake up.

"But what has happened?" he asked, after waking. "Where am I?"

He tried to move, but he felt immensely sore.

"Take it easy, Shining" Twilight said. "The blow the white queen gave you was pretty bad."

"Where's Blue?" Shining asked.

"He moved on" Twilight replied.

"He went to get the star seed?" asked Shining, rising up a little, trying to ignore the pain.

"Don't worry" Twilight said. "I'm sure he will make it."

Then they hear hoofsteps and they looked towards the door where Blue had gone. So they saw him appear and that he was holding the yellow star seed.

"You did it, Blue!" Twilight exclaimed, embracing him as soon as he reached her reach.

"How could I not get it?" Blue asked. "After that news you gave me, how could I fail?"

"News?" Shining asked, feeling that he was missing something. "Ok, I demand to know what happened after I've passed out."

Twilight and Blue gave a chuckle, exchanging a smile and a passionate look. She then said:

"We’ll tell you, but as long as we get out of here. We have no time to lose. Blue, help me with Shining."

Twilight and Blue then helped Shining getting up and started to proceed towards the exit, with them telling him what had happened.

Author's Note:

I hope you have enjoyed this chapter, where Twilight, Blue and Shining managed to get the last of the star seeds: the yellow star seed. How you can see I took the chess part from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, trying to follow more the movie than the book. I changed some pieces to better fit the game in the MLP universe. I represented the pawn by the earth pony due to pawn represent the infantry, more particularly armed peasants or pikemen. I represented the knight by the pegasus due to pegasus be warriors of origin. I represented the bishop by the unicorn due to the fact that most of the high class ponies are unicorns and the bishop was one of the most important persons of society. The queen was represented by an alicorn due to being the most powerful piece on the board and the king was represented by a unicorn because alicorns are mainly females. To make the yellow star seed's last defense, I inspired myself in the episode 18 of the first season of Huntik.