• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 2,962 Views, 190 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 3: Unicorn - Jeweled Pen



Third book in the MLP Avatar the last airbender saga. Twilight must face off against the seemingly invincible Water Nation, and its ruler Nightmare Moon. Can she harness and use the elements in time to defeat her greatest enemy?

  • ...
10
 190
 2,962

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: Summer Sun Celebration Pt. 1

Twilight stared up at the night sky, watching the stars twinkling away. She stood on the massive balloon holding one of many airships aloft. She could hardly believe it, soon it would all be over. Tomorrow their forces would gather and the attack would begin.

Rainbow had managed to get to the ponies(in record time, or so she claimed). The Wonderbolts, the water benders, many earth benders from the resistance including Octavia, the fire benders, the pirates and an assortment of other ponies had been drawn into their force. A rag tag force to be sure, but they were fighting for more than just themselves. They were fighting for their world itself.

Sadly, their force was still only a fraction of the Water Nation's combined forces. But it was a large fraction, focused to cut through their enemies like a knife. This Summer Sun Celebration would go down in history, one way or another. Unfortunately if she was correct, they had a force still smaller than the one they expected to fight. But they had one ace up their sleeve. Her.

The Water Nation still didn't know she was alive, as far as they knew. They dared to hope that... monster had been something from the Spirit World, not from them. This could be her chance to end the war, once and for all. All she had to do was drive into their forces, defeat Nightmare Moon and possibly purify her of Discord, then everything would be all better. She hoped. Twilight's eye focused on the moon.

It was hard to believe how much her life had changed since she'd come back from... being sealed away. She lifted a hoof to her chest. She'd even died. Or come so close to it she couldn't tell the difference. It had been over a hundred years, but she could still remember her home. The ponies running around, talking, playing, practicing their fire bending. Her teacher scolding her for some mistake or telling her to spend less time studying, more time being around others. Even the food, filled with spices that they'd sometimes toss to the baby dragons to see if it would make them breath fire.

Then the screams and fear as the sky fell apart around them. The skies disappeared for a moment and everypony stared in confusion. Some galloped out of their beds, foals awoke to come see what was going on. The horrible darkness overhead. Then the sound. The horrible sound as the darkness seemed to scream around them. Before finally, the explosions. The hurtling balls of rock and flame. The stars themselves, descending on them like a thousand screaming arrows.

“You okay, Twilight?” a voice asked from behind her, shaking her from her thoughts.

“Huh?” she turned back, before giving a gentle smile. “O-oh. Hi Rainbow. I was just...” She glanced over the side of the ship. “Thinking. I was just thinking.”

“You'd better be careful. Do that too much and your brain will get all big. We'll have to call you the headatar,” the pegasus teased before trotting over. Her steps made the balloon jump a little and forced the alicorn to spread her wings to stabilize herself.

“Do you think I'm ready?” Twilight finally asked.

“Huh?”

“For... for this. Do you think I'm ready? What if I mess up? What if I can't use the elements? I mean, I'm not Clover. She was... strong. A true avatar. She had all four elements at her disposal. She probably trained for this for ages before doing it in combat. She--”

“Didn't have the most awesome air bender ever as her teacher either,” Rainbow said with a chuckle, flicking her wing out to tap the avatar's. “Or the greatest earth bender in history. Things'll work out. We'll do this.” She looked to the sky. “We'll all be there together, working for this.”

Twilight looked up and sighed. “Not... all of us.”

The pegasus slowly nodded. “I... know. Spike is... we all miss Spike. But... I'm sure we can find him eventually. I mean, once we save the world we'll have to find him. We'll have pegasi flying every corner of the globe until we find him.”

The alicorn laid down. “What if I fail though? What if I just... can't do it?”

Rainbow laid down besides her and shrugged. “You won't fail. I believe in you. Besides... even if you did, we'll end this, one way or another. We're all together, remember? There's nothing we can't handle, so long as we're fighting together.”

Twilight nodded and closed her eyes. “Thanks Rainbow. I... really needed to hear that.”

“It's what I'm here for. Come on, let's go back inside. You need to get some sleep.”

“Okay,” Twilight slowly stood up and stretched out, groaning softly. “What about you?”

“I need to talk some things over with Spitfire, then I'll be going to bed too.”

“Okay, don't stay up too late,” Twilight said before jumping from the balloon and flying down over the side.

Rainbow sighed and called after her. “I won't!” She then spread her own wings and took to the sky. There was very little light, as all fires had been put out and many of the ships were cloaked in black covers. However, the moon was full overhead, allowing her dark adapted eyes to catch the small mass of ponies standing on a nearby balloon. She could make out those blue and lightning covered uniforms anywhere. “Spitfire, hey!” she called out as she landed by the other Wonderbolts. It took her a few seconds, but she quickly identified the others. “Soarin, Fleetfoot.” She bowed her head politely.

“Rainbow, good. We were wondering when you'd show up,” Spitfire said as she turned to the mare. “Did you... tell Twilight? About the dragons?”

“No, I didn't,” the mare said softly. “She's... really got a lot on her withers as it is. I don't think letting her know there are dragon babies out there depending on her success will really give her any help.”

The Wonderbolts slowly nodded. “You're here friend, we'll trust your judgment.” Spitfire glanced towards the front of the ship. “Everything is ready. Vinyl and Octavia have most of the benders hidden underground. I'll be flying off to meet them after this, to help prepare. Anything changing for the plan?”

“No,” Rainbow muttered. “We'll gather up at dawn, then fly to the city. Are you sure the fire benders are a good idea, though? We... need them for the sun.”

“We're out numbered,” Spitfire muttered. “We'll need everypony we can get for this. Once the sun hits the right spot, well... the extra power those fire benders will get could be just what we need. Especially if we haven't managed to get to Nightmare Moon yet.”

Rainbow nodded. “Are they all here? Did you bring everypony?”

“No.” She shook her head sadly. “I wish I could have convinced everypony to come, but Twilight's Sunrise refused to heed the call. They said they were needed elsewhere.” She stomped a hoof down. “Some of the fire benders had to stay behind to tend the dragons, as well. That... I can understand. Their species is on the edge of extinction, if they don't do something...”

“No, I know,” Rainbow muttered before turning towards the front of the ships, as well. “We have the avatar. Hopefully that'll be enough.” She ground a hoof into the ground. “I hope it's enough...”

“Well, we have to meet up with the others. I... guess this is good bye for now.”

“Yes it is,” the rainbow-maned mare mumbled. “Fly safe and... I hope you see you tomorrow night, too.”

“I hope we all live to see tomorrow night...” Spitfire mumbled, before the pegasi took to the air and parted ways.

Far above, the stars twinkled on, watched by hundreds of ponies, griffons and dragons as they hoped for the coming day, praying it wouldn't be their last.

------

Sweetie paced back and forth in her room, each time driving her hoof into the ground as hard as she could as if she was trying to destroy the stone. She'd gotten 'better' and had been in the midst of making a recovery. She'd even returned to her room.

Then the news had arrived. Flowerbloom and Scootaloo had perished. Flowerbloom had been killed by members of Twilight's Sunrise, while trying to defend one of their outposts. Scootaloo had perished while trying to stop the same group from stealing back the fire benders in the Fire Tribe's lands. It was... it...

She couldn't figure out how to react. She wanted to throw herself on the bed and break down into tears. She wanted to run into those countries and kill every single pony, slowly. She wanted to tear apart her bedding, screaming as the pain overwhelmed her. She wanted to torture, maim and slice apart every earth bender who dared to come within a hundred miles of her.

The rage and sadness pulsated within her like an animal as she struggled to find an outlet. Any outlet. She had almost gone running to her sister, but she knew that was no longer an option. She had... driven her away. Hurt her. The bruises she had worn were proof of that. She threw herself back onto her bed, burying her head into blankets and using her horn to cut even more holes in the padding as the sadness overwhelmed her, devouring the anger whole and leaving her helpless against it.

What did Rarity want? She'd done everything for her! All she ever wanted was for them to be together. To be the best sisters ever. Instead they were now... so far apart. Farther than they'd ever been before. Her friends were gone as well, leaving her alone.

She was alone. She was so, so alone. She curled into a soft ball as the sadness overwhelmed her, enveloping her in its power. Green filling her eyes as self loathing and pain pierced through her heart. She slowly opened her eyes and stared up at the roof. For a second she laid there in silence.

Her will slowly evaporated, slow but steady. Her body began going limp. The green beast within her twisted and turned, demanding to take more of her than she'd ever been willing to give. With a final, heart wrenching sob, she surrendered. Her mind sunk deeper into the sea of green waters, the taint spreading out from her eyes and coating her horn. Her pain would end, but theirs would only just begin.

------

Twilight awoke just before dawn, sliding out from her hammock and landing on the ground face first with a startled shriek. “Ow... hate these...”

“Smooth, Chickenwings,” Rainbow said with a chuckle before trotting over to give her a hoof up. “You ready for today?”

“I don't think a pony could possibly be ready for this,” the alicorn muttered before taking the offered hoof and pulling herself back to her hooves. She glanced around and frowned. Her friends were already gone, leaving empty hammocks in their wake. A small candle had been lit across the room. “Where is everypony? What time is it?”

“Woke up already. Almost dawn. Decided it was best to let you get some sleep, had a late night last night,” Rainbow said before trotting towards the door. “Come on, everypony's outside.”

Twilight nodded and followed after the mare. The world was still mostly dark, but it had that pre-dawn glow as the sun prepared its grand entrance. In the little bit of light she could see the other ships, all sailing through the air. She took a deep breath. “This is it, isn't it?”

“Yep,” Rainbow mumbled as she eyed the ships slowly. “We should have enough ships to haul everypony. Shame we have to pick them up again, but you know how those earth benders are about these things. Never would have slept otherwise.”

Twilight nodded. “No turning back. No failure. This is... our final stand,” she whispered. She then glanced to the sky and chuckled. “Who would have thought?”

“What?”

“Well...” A grin flashed on her lips. “I thought I'd need more time. I mean, Discord isn't even close to being a threat, yet. Well, being released. When we win here... we'll have time. Then we can just focus on making sure nopony tries to release him again. Get everything settled right.” She took a long, deep breath. “It's going to be over so soon.”

There was a giggle behind them as Pinkie hopped up and gave Twilight a hug. “Awwww, it's not too soon, I hope. Besides, we're on the third book. It's been going on forever!”

The two ponies chuckled, shaking their heads at their friend's strange comment. “Well, I'm happy I got to spend it with all of you,” Twilight said before eying the north. The sun slowly began peeping over the horizon, lighting up the world. She squinted a little bit and gasped.

Ahead and down below, were the other ponies. Hundreds of them. She couldn't see them, but she knew Vinyl and Octavia were there. Not to mention the fire benders she'd saved, albeit they made up only a small percentage. The majority were earth benders. Some soldiers, some volunteers. All throwing their lives in for this one hopeful victory. Twilight took a deep breath as the ships began their descent. She just hoped there weren't any hiccups.

As the ships landed, there was an almost instantaneous swirl of motion. Ponies began grouping up and boarding ships. Pegasi and griffons ensured that everypony was boarded on okay and not too cramped. It was all going so... smoothly. She flew down to the beach and was soon joined by her friends.

Within moments she heard the first, and only, signs of trouble. Pinkie had made the... strangest request. Twilight struggled, in vain, to comprehend it as she rested her face on her hoof. “I... no. It's a tight fit as it is. We can't give Vinyl and Octavia their own ship. I don't think either of them even know how to fly one of these ships.”

“But we can't ship Octavia and Vinyl with other ponies, imagine the outcry!” Pinkie said enthusiastically.

The avatar stared for a few more moments. “We... don't have enough ships to transfer ponies two at a time. We need to ship everypony together if we're going to be able to get them their on time. You... you know this.”

Pinkie gasped, her eyes filled with mirth. “Wait, you want everypony to be shipped together?”

“Well... yes?”

“Wow, Twilight. I never knew you were into that kind of thing,” Pinkie said before trotting off.

The alicorn stared at the earth pony a few moments, before turning to the rest of her friends. “Did... did anypony understand that? What did I just agree to?” She couldn't help feeling a little more light hearted though. It was nice that at least one pony could still be her normal, excitable self. She imagined the awkward smiles her friends were giving matched her own.

“Ah got no idea, sugarcube,” Applejack said with a light chuckle, watching their friend leave. “Pinkie bein' Pinkie ah think yah all call it?”

“There's Pinkie being Pinkie, then there's... that,” Rainbow mumbled, before shaking her head and giving a wide smile. “Only she could be cracking jokes at a time like this. Anyway. Almost everypony is gathered up. We've got a decent force here.”

“And we'll get them there before your little earth benders have a chance to throw up all over our polished decks,” Lightning said with a snort as she trotted up. “Time to show those lousy water benders who's boss, right? You all better hurry up, ponies have been planning for this for a while and they're raring to go.”

Twilight nodded as she looked around at the ships. There were well over a dozen, each one filled with ponies. So many, in fact, that plenty of the pegasi were flying around and beside the ships. This was it. Their final battle. Fire benders, earth benders, Wonderbolts, soldiers, farmers, pirates, everypony had come together for this. The greatest force they could have imagined. She closed her eyes and lifted her head up, to feel the sun's rays on it.

“Yes. Today... today is the final day. We defeat the Water Nation and take back the world.” She slowly smiled. They could do this. They had to do this. It was time. Finally time.

------

Rarity took a deep breath as she stared at her saddle bag. It was time. Finally time. “Okay Spike, is everything in there?”

“Maps, papers, weapons,” Spike mumbled as he rummaged through the bag, sighing softly. “Isn't this all a bit overkill?”

“No, no it's not,” the princess said as she paced across the floor. “The... avatar needs to know. This entire thing is a trap. My mother knows about them. If she comes marching in here, she's doomed,” the unicorn said with a shake of her head.

“But she doesn't know the avatar's alive, does she?” the dragon asked as he closed the bag up.

“No. She doesn't,” Rarity muttered. “But she knows about the fire benders. I think... whatever my mother has planned, has been in preparation for this. The avatar has to be warned, and we're the only ones who can do it.” She picked up the bag in her magic, neatly depositing it across her back. She then picked up the dragon as well. “If she is going to have any chance of... defeating my mother...” The words sent an icy chill through her heart. Had it really come to this? Was she really going to... help the avatar? She shook her head and steeled herself. This was for the good of all ponies, her mother included. And her sister.

“But what if we're found?”

“I'll have to do something then. That's what the weapons are for...” She gave him one little nuzzle, making him blush. “Please Spike, I need you. Without you... well, the avatar would never believe me. She... has no reason to. I've done nothing but hurt her. I need you to help me save her.”

The dragon slowly nodded, smiling. “O-of course. I ummm... yeah... heh heh. I'd ummmm... I'd totally... h-help...”

Rarity smiled and gave him a little nod. “Good. I knew I could count on you.” She took a deep breath and turned to the door. Okay. She could do this. All she had to do was sneak out from the castle, warn the avatar of what was being planned, help her get into the castle, defeat her mother and end this war in one fell swoop. It wasn't so bad, right? It could work. It had to work. It would work.

She opened the door and jumped. “C-can I help you?”

“Oh, indeed you can, princess,” an oddly familiar voice said from the cloaked pony.

“Listen, I'm really busy. I have to help my mother prepare and--”

“Oh, I know exactly what you're doing,” the mare said as she stepped into the room and forced the princess back. Her eyes glowed green from under the hood. “Going to visit the avatar, are you? I'm afraid I can't let you do that, not yet. He's waited far too long to ruin the plan now. Don't worry though. You'll get all you want... soon.”

PreviousChapters Next