• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 2,960 Views, 190 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 3: Unicorn - Jeweled Pen



Third book in the MLP Avatar the last airbender saga. Twilight must face off against the seemingly invincible Water Nation, and its ruler Nightmare Moon. Can she harness and use the elements in time to defeat her greatest enemy?

  • ...
10
 190
 2,960

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24: Rise

Scootaloo stared up at those approaching metal wings as she struggled to move. Her front left hoof twitched, but that was the best she could do. “C-come on...” she whispered. But her body ignored her. “W-work!”

She couldn't resist letting out a small whimper as the blades came ever closer. She closed her eyes and tried to think of anything else. She was going to die, she had to accept this. Grimset's words echoed in her mind, cutting her to the core.

Was it true? Was she just a flightless bird? Was this... the end she should have met so long ago? What about Sweetie Belle? Was her being friends with the mare part of the cause of this? Could Nightmare Moon really be behind this? No. If Nightmare wanted to get rid of her, it would have been easy to do it with the Shadowbolts. She was the ruler, it was her choice.

Unless she didn't want Sweetie to know. Unless she wanted the blame to fall on the Fire Tribes. She groaned and tried to sit up again, opening her eyes. Hornclipper was standing over her, watching her.

“What are you waiting for? Kill her!” Grimset ordered.

The pegasus stared into her eyes, slowly blinking a few times. Then he charged. He leaped over her and a second later she heard Grimset scream and felt the warmth of blood splashing against her back. The screams only lasted for a few seconds, but they echoed through the room.

The door to the room burst open and two of her trainees galloped in. The first took one look at the room before pointing a hoof at Hornclipper. “Traitor!”

She heard more ponies galloping down the hall. The first charged past her, leaping over her as the second rushed to her side. “Teacher, are you okay? What happened?”

“S-stop them,” she managed to wheeze out. “H-he... s-saved m-me...”

“We know,” the trainee said. “We heard the scream and came immediately. Don't worry.” He started pulling her away and she saw Hornclipper and the other pony fighting. Her trainee was faster and the blood covered stallion wasn't using his wings. She also caught sight of Grimset, his body covered in lacerations, head almost removed from his shoulders.

“N-no... H-hornclipper... s-saved me,” she said, struggling in the stallion's grip. “G-grimset... t-traitor...” She closing her eyes as she was pulled, her entire body feeling numb.

The pony stopped. “What? But he... are you sure?”

“Y-yes... G-grimset... poisoned m-me...”

“Stop!” her student yelled. “Get away from him! He's innocent!”

“W-what?” her attacking student asked, locking up for a moment. Hornclipper took the opportunity to headbutt him and send him flying back with a crash.

“He's innocent. Lady Scootaloo says he saved her.” More ponies were arriving, galloping into the room. She struggled a hoof out, pulling on her students leg.

“T-the... the ponies w-who came with... G-grimset. C-capture them. D-don't let t-them leave...” she gasped again, before going limp. She was so tired, every inch of her body felt on the verge of collapse. What had that bastard poisoned her with? Was it fatal? “S-soup... p-poisoned... find... find out...”

The stallion slowly nodded. “She says capture the ponies who came with Grimset, don't let them escape.” He then turned to the food on the table. “Her foods been poisoned. We need to identify what it--”

“Search Grimset's supplies,” Hornclipper mumbled softly. “He'll have brought it with him.”

The trainee glared at him, but slowly nodded. “You heard him. Come on, get to it!”

Scootaloo let out a sigh and closed her eyes. Her students had everything handled. All she had to do was rest and recover. But she fought it, even as her lids got heavier. She tried moving her body, but it felt so numb. So helpless. Everything felt so... off. As the darkness enveloped her, she wondered if she'd ever wake up.

------

Flowerbloom woke with a groan. Rock Knight stood a few feet away, cooking up something over the fire. “Rock cakes, want some?” the mare asked.

She stared at them for a few moments, before shaking her head. “No, thanks.” They looked like actual rocks. She crawled out of her bed and stretched out, groaning. “So how much longer until we arrive? Two days? One?”

“A few,” Rock Knight mumbled vaguely.

Flowerbloom sighed and limped over, sitting beside her. “Actually, I will take one...” One of the hot cakes were dropped in her lap. She bounced it from hoof to hoof before giving it a little sniff. It smelled very plain. She gave it a light nibble before humming. “Not bad.” It tasted quite sweet and crunchy.

“It's made with a special kind of rock.”

Flowerbloom cringed and pulled back, looking where she took a bite. Colored dust sparkled from within. “Rocks?” she asked nervously.

“Yes. I use it to make rock candy,” the knight said slowly.

“Rock... candy... is it safe to eat?” She looked around, all the ponies seemed to be eating them. She shrugged and took another bite. “I guess...” They were definitely a little hard, but the sweetness was nice.

“I've eaten them all the time.”

Flowerbloom glanced at the mare and sighed. She had a sneaking suspicion that the mare could chew through diamonds and just call them 'crunchy'. But she was hungry and needed to keep her strength up, so she finished hers off and even took a second when offered. “Were there any more ponies following us last night?”

“No,” the knight said quickly.

“I see...” Flowerbloom wished she could tell if the mare was lying, but Rock Knight's face was a rock. It never moved, never showed expression, never even twitched. It was quite infuriating and a little strange. “This Mare Do Well, what should I expect from her?”

The mare shrugged. “What she'll decide is hers to decide. I don't claim to know her mind.”

“Wonderful... is there anything you can tell me?”

“Yes. We'll be leaving camp late today. You are free to move around, but may not go outside of my sight.”

“Go outside... why are we leaving late? Why?”

The mare didn't answer, instead she chewed at one of her cakes. Flowerbloom shook her head and laid back down over her sleeping bag. Why would they camp? What were they waiting for?

It dawned on her suddenly. There must be a Water Nation force nearby. If she could make her escape, make a distraction, she could escape. She could return home. She wouldn't even have to go far, she'd just have to find out where these ponies were located. She barely managed to suppress her grin as she looked around, watching the ponies on watch.

They had four on watch now, all keeping their eyes out. The ponies had to be close if they were on such alert. She could do this. She had to do this.

------

Scootaloo let out a soft, weak groan as her eyes opened. It was dark and cool. Wait, it was cool. How was it cool? It should have been boiling. She tried to sit up, but it was slow, difficult work as her numbed body resisted her.

“Lady Scootaloo?” a voice asked. She looked over to the right and saw one of her students. “Are you feeling better?”

“Y-yes. W-what happened? Where am I?” she asked with a groan.

“We returned you to the bunker. You were poisoned with dusted cockatrice feathers.”

She groaned again and tried lifting a hoof. It felt better than it had before, but it still felt as if she was moving it through thick layers of sand. “How long... until t-the effects w-wear off?”

“You'll be numb for a while, but you should be able to move in another day or so,” the stallion said nervously. “We... apprehended Hornclipper and all the ponies who came with Grimset. They... ummmm...”

“What is it?” she asked. “They claiming innocence?”

“Not... exactly. They are... claiming you're a traitor and to be executed. Per the orders of Nightmare Moon,” the pony said softly.

“They WHAT?” She shot up as far as she could, which was sadly only a few inches. “T-those... what m-makes them...”

“They claim that Marble sent them, under the orders of Nightmare Moon, to execute you. They... do have orders from Marble, but... only if you were deemed a traitor...” the pony said softly.

“Those... stupid... I'll gut them m-myself when I...”

“Nightmare Moon wouldn't... would she?”

“I'm... n-no traitor...” she whispered, though she couldn't answer the question. She didn't know any more. She then glanced to the soldier. “M-my students. What... a-are they doing?”

The stallion lowered his gaze. “It hasn't been decided yet. You're our commander. But a few are... calling for your head. Saying as the Shadowbolts it is... our job to follow the orders of our commander. Others are saying we should protect you. You're our teacher and if we give you up, the foals here will...”

She let out another soft sigh. “So it's known that... G-grimset wanted to just... k-kill the foals a-and be d-done with it?”

The trainee slowly nodded. She let out a soft snort. “T-to think. I-it seems I o-owe my life t-to these fire benders.”

“I'm certain they won't decide to... execute you. Even if not for the foals.”

“W-where is H-hornclipper a-and the others?”

“Imprisoned. The facility has a number of adequate facilities.”

“How... much c-command do I s-still have? W-will... my orders still be followed?”

“Yes. A bit... a little bit.” The stallion poked his hooves together.

“I... I want them practicing t-then. M-my orders s-still stand. We are to... keep this place safe.” She took a deep breath. “Who... do I s-still have? Who w-will obey me?”

“You have most of our forces. The ponies who were soldiers before they were Shadowbolts though, a sizable portion of them say we should follow Marble. Take you to him.”

“W-wonderful...”

“But... the majority says we should stick with you. You have been a great commander and... when you chose us to become Shadowbolts, our allegiances became to the Water Nation. You're the best option we have from there. We are members of the Shadowbolts now, no longer members of the Fire Tribes.”

“G-good... spread the word. O-orders stand. I-I return tomorrow...”

“But Lady Scootaloo, you won't be fully--”

“Y-you said I-I should be able to move. T-that will be enough...” She laid back and closed her eyes. “Have H-Hornclipper b-brought to me. T-tonight. W-when I can move better.” She paused. “W-with two of... those w-who remain loyal to me. M-make it four.”

“As you wish. May I ask why?”

“I... I want answers...” Scootaloo mumbled, before closing her eyes. If he saved her, that had to mean he was after something. Something worth possibly giving up his power, prestige and the right to slaughter the foals here. She hoped whatever it was, didn't bite her in the flank. “A-and... and bring his blades.”

“They were removed. Did you want us to return them to him?”

“N-no! Leave them off. I... I wish to examine them.” She paused for a moment. “Have... s-somepony e-examine them as w-well. S-see if there's a-anything weird w-with them. Use... e-every resource we have a-available.”

“As you wish.” The stallion bowed his head and trotted away, leaving her alone with her thoughts.

So many questions flooded her mind. Horrible thoughts. Was it possible that she, a Shadowbolt trainee, was now a traitor? Was it traitorous to refuse to die at your rulers command? She tried to block out such thoughts, but the longer she laid there, the more it made sense.

She had been inducted into the Shadowbolts at a young age and, while her lack of early flight skills set her back, her agility, speed and quick learning set her apart. Her mother was a high ranking official as well, even though she was just a pegasus. It made Scootaloo the perfect candidate to become a Shadowbolt and playmate to the princess, one who would remain loyal forever.

But, by the time her inability to fly became apparent, was it too late? Had Nightmare Moon been wishing to dispose of her ever since? Perhaps this was new, since their return from the Earth Kingdom. Was the fact she was returning to Sweetie's side as a friend what drove this forward? As the ruler, it would be easy for her to decide that Scootaloo had to partake of this mission. Not to mention assigning her with Grimset.

Probably the worst part, was that the more she thought about it, the more likely it seemed. Nightmare Moon hated non-unicorns, that was obvious. The Shadowbolts were the only force that seemed to have a grudging respect from the ruler, and even they had been put under the authority of a unicorn, albeit for a short time. Perhaps if she was a true Shadowbolt, there would be no reason for her to be removed. But she wasn't a Shadowbolt. She was a wingless bird, confined to the ground, never to fly through the air. The same as those de-horned fire benders.

Her entire body began to tremble as tears formed in her eyes. She rolled over as best she could, burying her face in her pillow and thankful for the privacy. She did one of many, many things a Shadowbolt should never do.

She wept.

------

Flowerbloom lightly prodded at a dirt clod, seemingly engrossed in the mindless task. However, her mind and senses were on full alert. The ponies on watch were still keeping an eye out, but the occasional looks revealed they were quite bored. Boredom was good. Boredom made a pony sloppy.

However, it also made her a little worried. Boredom made sense, but there was no tension or fear. In fact, the ponies seemed almost... excited. Some were playing games while they waited, others were lounging about and chatting. They'd made a little stone cave for the cart as well, allowing the prisoners to sleep and not get sunburned.

Everything made her more and more nervous as she listened attentively for any sign of sudden movement. If these ponies were expecting an attack, they were being foals about it. No, she suspected something else.

Reinforcements.

If that was the case, their behavior made perfect sense. With more of their kind arriving, they had no need to be stressed or worried. They would be completely safe and, even better, didn't have to worry about ambushes with more ponies to arrive on watch. If they were willing to meet out here, while still in the Earth Kingdom, it must mean they were far from any Water Nation outposts.

However, this could still work in her favor. She nudged a rock firmly, before pulling her hoof back to make the rock roll back to her. The ponies were getting bored. A distraction could be all she needed to escape.

The nearest outpost for the Water Nation was likely to the west, second most likely would be south. They'd expect her to go that way. So north was her chosen direction. After all, she was an Earth Bender, not to mention her colorations were quite common. She'd slip out that way and they'd run about on a wild goose chase, trying to find her. But once she ditched the ribbon, she'd find some village or something north of here and she'd blend in. After a few days she could backtrack and head towards Fillydelphia. From there it would be a simple matter to group back up with her father and return home.

She had a plan, she would have an opportunity and now all she needed was the moment. Every second she had to wait was another where the tension rose in her. She pushed her rock back and forth, drawing it over and over. Then, finally, she heard the call.

“I see him!” one of the watch ponies yelled out. “It's Blood Knight! He's here!”

As she suspected, the ponies took off, abandoning their posts as they galloped towards the south end of the camp. Only a scattered few remained and, to her delight, Rock Knight wasn't with them. In fact, the mare was standing with the other gathered ponies, peering off into the distance.

Now was her chance. Possibly the only chance she'd get. She slowly got to her hooves and started walking away. She stepped as lightly as she could. With each step she used her earth bending to hide her hoof steps. She even made a small fake trail heading off to the west, though it didn't go far.

Each step made her hurt leg cry out in pain, but she suppressed it and kept moving. The bandages weren't red with blood yet, so she was still good to go. All she had to do was make it a little further and she'd be fine. She looked back and, to her delight, she'd lost sight of most of the camp already. Granted, that was because it was in another incline. She scrambled behind a large rock and collapsed, tapping the ground gently so her hoofsteps disappeared, then focused on her bending to stop anypony from finding her. She'd heard of ponies who could sense through their earth bending and, while she had never learned the art itself, she could understand the effects. So long as she kept the earth from feeling her, she hoped any other bender wouldn't be able to. She just hoped she was doing it right.

So now she just sat and waited, listening. It took longer than she thought, but she soon heard yelling and ponies screaming at each other. Well, they knew. At least, she figured they knew. She leaned back and waited. Listened as she heard them moving, slowly the pounding of hooves and yells going quiet. She wished she could hear what they were saying, but she was too far away. Instead she just laid back and waited, closing her eyes as she held her wounded hoof to her chest. She didn't hear the wagon going, that meant they had to leave it behind. Which likely meant there were ponies still about.

But Rock Knight would have gone with the search party. Flowerbloom grinned. They'd have gone off west, tracking her down. She just needed a little rest and then she could go. She could escape. She slowly got to her hooves and peered out from the rock, before dipping back behind it with a curse. They were coming towards her! Not all of them, but a few. They were all cloaked, so the knights weren't with them.

She looked down at the ground. She had to do something, anything. They were coming closer in a sweep. Fast, too. She couldn't hear their hooves, but that was likely because they were using the trick she had. She took a deep breath and leaned back against the rock. She had one hope and one hope only.

Flowerbloom molded with it, shifting back through the rock... then her back came in contact with a hoof. She was thrust forward, out of the rock as it exploded around her. She toppled forward a few feet, dazed and confused as she turned towards her opponent. She jumped to her hooves, cringing as pain shot through her hoof and blood soaked the bandage.

She looked up, and froze. It was the Blood Knight. There was no doubt of that. He towered over her with a deep red coat. He stared down at her through thick Earth Kingdom armor, the same type Rock Knight wore. Only bigger. He also was staring at her, his eyes wide with shock.

She only had a few seconds though. She tapped a hoof down and sent a wave of dirt flying at them. However, it suddenly parted and a second later the knight stood behind it, one hoof raised. The other cloaked ponies circled her as she looked around, eyes narrowed.

“How... how did yah know ah was there?”

“The Blood Knight is one of the best sensors in the resistance,” one of the cloaked ponies said.

She narrowed her eyes, looking around at the surrounding ponies. She couldn't fight them off, that much was obvious. She couldn't run, either. Her leg was far too hurt. But surrender would just get her killed in the long run. “Don't... don't think ah'll let yah capture me again without a fight.”

“Nnnnnope,” Blood Knight said with a shake of his head. He motioned the other ponies back and they quickly moved away from her.

Flowerbloom snickered. “Yah think yah can take me one on one? Just because ah'm injured don't think ah'll be an easy fight!” She sent up a few more spikes of dirt, but he easily sidestepped them, letting the rocks slip fly by. Her wounded leg felt as if it was on fire and she was forced to shift her weight around constantly. She finally took a deep breath and turned her back to him.

She slammed both hooves down and sent a tidal wave of rock and dirt at the stallion. Her head whipped around in time to see it connect, but it molded around the stallion as the dirt harmlessly flowed around him. Her mouth fell open and she groaned. He... had her out matched. Horribly, horribly out matched. Out numbered. Out... everything. She collapsed on the ground and tried to hold back her tears as she panted. “Ah... ah s-surrender...” she whispered. Even if they took her life, she wouldn't give them the pleasure of taking her dignity. She would not cry.

Unsurprisingly, she was returned to her bound and captive position on the wagon. To her captors credit, her leg was rebound and they didn't tie her up hard enough to cut off the circulation. So at least she wouldn't be going to her execution with festering wounds.

“You shouldn't have run,” Rock Knight said as she trotted besides the wagon.

“It was mah only chance. Ah don't regret it, only that ah was caught,” Flowerbloom mumbled. It was true, though. There wouldn't be any more chances after this. Their numbers were too great, with two of their groups together. Her situation had gone from bad to even worse.

Now all she could do was wait. Wait for the end of their trip and the end of her life. Oddly, she found herself thinking of Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. She hoped they were still well. Safe back home.

She tried to contain it, but thoughts of her friends brought more pain flooding through. Her eyes began to well up and she barely had time to roll to the side, so her back was to the front of the cart, before the tears started.

------

Scootaloo groaned as she was awoken by galloping hooves. “Lady Scootaloo!”

One of her trainees was running towards her, holding a blade of all things. Wing blades. She tried to sit up and, to her delight, managed to sit up all the way. Her body still felt sore and unresponsive, but it was leagues beyond what it had been earlier. “What... is it?”

The pony skidded to a stop, dropping the razor sharp blade on the bed. It sliced into the cushions like wet butter. “E-eep. S-sorry.”

“Don't, what is it?” She could talk normally again. The day was already looking up. “This is Hornclipper's blade?”

“O-one of them,” the pony said quickly. He was practically hopping up and down, his entire body shaking.

“Be still. Sit! A Shadowbolt does not jump and prance about. They are calm and collected, giving information in a steady voice. Now, tell me. What has you so... panicked.”

“The blade. It's enchanted.”

“And?” Scootaloo rolled her eyes. Enchantments were fine, she'd seen dozens of weapons with them before. Hardly common, but fine. Durability enchantments were used on many of the Nation's more expensive weapons, like cannons.

“Not... not just any enchantment. We... we weren't sure. The Warden could be lying, but he said he was certain.”

“The Warden? You had him examine it?”

“He was the only unicorn we had. Even without a horn, he'd be better than us. He... he gave us some suggestions and... and we think you were right. This blade... it's horrible.”

She gulped and looked down at it. “Sharpness?”

“No. L-lady Scootaloo. This... is, the Warden called it unicorn bane. It's designed to... to cut through horns. The enchantment is. That's how he... how he...”

That made her freeze in place. “Are you certain?”

“We can't know for certain without taking it to Manehatten and having some more unicorns examine it. But...”

“No. Don't.” She paused and poked the blade. “Who knows?”

“Only me, the Warden and a few others. They--”

“Enough. Help me up.”

“W-what? But you're still--”

“I'm still in command, or have the ponies here abandoned me already?”

“No. You're still--”

“Then help me up.” The stallion slowly nodded and reached out to take her hoof. After many long, painful seconds she was back on her hooves, panting heavily and leaning on him. He picked up the blade in a hoof and strapped it to his side, careful of the edge. “We're going down. Help me down to the... prison.”

“You're still hurt, you--”

“I'll do what I have to, no matter what. Either help me down or send me somepony who will!” she ordered.

The stallion slowly nodded. Though it was humiliating, she allowed him to practically carry her out of the building. Once she was out, the heat once again pressed in on all sides, especially when he put her on a cloud to push her down into the steamy epicenter. She saw her soldiers watching her as she was helped from the cloud, but she ignored them. It was hard, but she had to do it. With the other pegasus supporting her, she could almost walk. As she passed through the doors, she pulled on the stallion's wing. “H-hold up.”

“Are you okay?”

“Tired but... I'll be fine.” She took a few moments to catch her breath, a difficult task in all the heat. But she persevered. She had to. “Okay, let's go.” Every step was worst than the last, but she pushed her body through it and, gradually, she made it to her room. She practically collapsed in her chair, weezing as she took deep breaths of air. She didn't know how it was possible, but she swore it had gotten even hotter. “Get... get Hornclipper. Everypony who knows about the blades. Here.”

“As you wish.” He bowed his head before turning to leave.

She closed her eyes and waited. The heat pushed in on her from all sides, but she did her best to ignore it. She had to endure it. She was a Shadowbolt, she was a... possibly a traitor. Meant to die. Meant to be killed by her own ruler. She didn't understand anything anymore, all she felt was confusion. She wanted answers, and she wanted them now. Even though it wasn't the most important matter for the moment, she'd start with Hornclipper.

It wasn't long before all the ponies were gathered. She eyed Hornclipper closely. His wings were... damaged, as would be expected. Some of the feathers gone, from where the blades rubbed when they snapped on. Though, ill kept as they were, she found it almost humorous that they served more function than her own.

She put her hooves together in front of her and looked him over. “Hornclipper. The blades you wore on your wings. They are enchanted with unicorn bane, do you deny this?”

He shook his head.

She froze for a second, watching him and regathering her breath. He wouldn't even attempt to deny it? Was he that eager to die? “Are you aware of the penalties for such weapons in the Water Nation?”

“Death,” the stallion said coldly.

Scootaloo took a deep breath. “Indeed.” Such magics were considered forbidden in most of the world, especially amongst the water benders. If a pony who could cast it could even be found. Not because many of the ponies against them would use them, she imagined both the Earth Kingdom and the Air Nomads would have given statues of gold for such things.

No, the problem was many unicorns wouldn't cast such a spell. A spell designed to cut off their own horns could easily be used on them, or their own kind. Even Nightmare Moon wouldn't allow such a spell to spread amongst their forces. “How did you get it? This is not... this magic isn't easy. Most unicorns couldn't cast a spell like this even if they wanted to learn it.”

The stallion remained silent.

“How did you get it? Why did you get it? You have to know being found with it on your blades is paramount to treason. You would have been executed or...” She paused for a moment. “Does Marble know?”

“No.”

She took another deep breath and closed her eyes, resting her head against her hooves. “Just... tell me why. Why would you use such a spell? Put it on your blades? How would...” She paused again. “Wait. You've... always cut off the horn in one swing, haven't you? How long have you been using this spell?” She stared at the blade again. “How have you hidden it so long?”

“The spell disappears when the blade is damaged,” Hornclipper finally said.

“And you guarded your blades with your life. No wonder. Then tell me, why? You didn't need this blade. Was it to give you honor? Make you look stronger, cutting off a defenseless foal's horn in one swing?”

“Would you rather I do it in three? Four? Do you, too, prefer to see the pony screaming in agony as their horn is severed from their body, one brutal chop at a time?” His tone was flat, but the words cut through her like a knife.

Slowly her eyes widened. She felt a slight tremor spread through her hooves. “The orders Grimset said were from Marble, what were they?”

He remained silent.

“Answer me!” she screamed, slamming her hooves down.

“If Grimset deemed your actions suspect and the Boiling Rock indefensible, I was to help him detain you and execute every potential fire bender. This included killing you, if need be.”

She slowly nodded, before glancing towards the blades. “Yet you saved me.” A chill ran through her spine. “The resistance... isn't as under control as Grimset said it was, is it?”

“No, it is not.”

“The pony who enchanted these blades was... is a member of the resistance, correct?”

Slowly the pony nodded.

“You're... a member of the resistance. Are you a member of Twilight's Sunrise?”

“No. They're new.”

Scootaloo slowly nodded as she sunk into her chair. “I see...” she whispered as she eyed him up and down. “Hornclipper, I must give you credit. You're... a bigger bastard than I ever thought. Why tell me this now?”

“Because, Lady Scootaloo,” he said as he slowly lowered his head. “I have served my purpose. You were wise, in deciding to come here.”

“What? Why?”

He raised his head. “Because you'll be able to witness the fall of Boiling Rock.”

A second later, the ground rumbled under her hooves.

------

Flowerbloom groaned as she was gently shaken awake. “W-what is it?” she asked. It had been days since she'd been put into the cart and, frankly, she was sore all over. Having a very limited range of movement was very uncomfortable, especially for extended periods. She spent most of her time snatching bits and pieces of sleep, though the cart was far less comfortable than her previous sleeping bag. She couldn't even make the dirt softer, since all she had to lay on was wood.

“We're here.” One of the cloaked ponies said as the other prisoners were slowly shaken awake. It took her a moment to realize there were even more hooded ponies than she initially remembered. In fact, the place seemed to be swarming with them. The area was barren, nothing but sand and rock. Tall cliffs rose out from the ground, giving them plenty of shade from the sun's fierce rays. In fact, it was quite cool with them so amply covered.

The cart was waiting beside one of the many cliffs, though this one had a tunnel. Small, barely able to fit two ponies side by side. “We'll be going by hoof,” a pony yelled. One by one the prisoners were brought to the ground. Many of them had trouble walking, but their keepers were patient, helping them and giving them time to recover.

“We'll be going with you,” Rock Knight said once the ponies were all lined up outside the opening. “Any sign of bending and we'll break you.”

The ponies slowly nodded. They were outnumbered at least three-to-one. Flowerbloom doubted there would be any trouble. She was put in front, beside the Blood Knight. He didn't look as he led her forward. Her leg no longer hurt, so that was good. However the walk into the darkness sent chills of fear down her spine. This cave could very well be her tomb, and she had no choice but to walk into it willingly.

They didn't have any torches, but the walk was straight. Occasionally she'd brush against the walls and she could hear ponies behind them doing the same, but steady progress was made. It wasn't long before she saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Then they were out, and her mouth fell open, her mind reeling as she tried to process what was being seen. Blood Knight was forced to drag her to the side.

Fire benders. Dozens of them. No, not just fire benders. Earth benders too. They seemed to be in a volcano, one that had gone dormant centuries ago. The top was open, revealing the wide, blue sky. Near the center a row of airships were being prepared on a platform.

Then she looked slightly to the left and she closed her mouth just to let it fall open again. Her mind actually locked up for a few seconds as she struggled to process what she was seeing. “So... s-so that's... why yah all couldn't move from here.”

Eggs. Dozens of multicolored eggs were resting inside a nest, tended to by the fire benders. Laying nearby, resting on little tiny cradles of straw, were tiny scaled babies, gently being rocked to sleep by their tenders.

Dragons.

PreviousChapters Next