• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 2,954 Views, 190 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 3: Unicorn - Jeweled Pen



Third book in the MLP Avatar the last airbender saga. Twilight must face off against the seemingly invincible Water Nation, and its ruler Nightmare Moon. Can she harness and use the elements in time to defeat her greatest enemy?

  • ...
10
 190
 2,954

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33: Desert Travels

Sweetie slowly tapped her hoof on the floor, watching the pegasus who was making a valiant effort to look everywhere but at her. Not an easy task, considering he was trying to speak to her as she rested on a large chair set up in the camp. It wasn't surprising, since the Water Nation didn't have the best history of not shooting the messenger. Considering they were outside with plenty of water in canteens and jugs, it would be simple to end the pony's life. The only thing keeping his head from rolling on the floor was the fact her mother was quite busy in preparations.

It had been almost a week since the ill fated destruction of Canterlot and air ships had been arriving almost hourly for the last few days. Unfortunately, more than just air ships were arriving. News was managing to travel slightly faster.

“I couldn't quite hear you. Repeat yourself,” the princess said slowly. “At an audible volume this time.”

“The... ame an... stroyed... cape...” the pegasus mumbled softly, his eyes focused on his hooves.

“You will either tell me, or I will tell my mother you wish to speak directly wit--”

“Windswept Keep has fallen! I-it happened a week ago. Earth benders and fire benders swept on us during the day and... and everything fell. We tried to fight them but... but we were out numbered and they overwhelmed us.”

She nodded slowly. “Windswept Keep was the prison where...” Her eyes widened slightly. “Wasn't that where the Earth Kingdom Emperor was held?”

The pegasus nodded slowly.

“So... you mean to tell me...” She ground her hoof into the ground. “The emperor, his most loyal commanders and not to mention the hundreds of earth benders I captured and imprisoned are all... all...”

“F-free... y-your highness...” the pegasus said softly, gulping nervously.

Sweetie took a deep breath and closed her eye. Her mother would have sent the pegasus' head rolling on the ground. Heck, she felt a small inclination to as well. But there was another, louder part of her that said it wasn't the pegasus' fault and executing him for the news wouldn't be fair. “Go. I'll tell my mother.” She paused. “I'd return to your post quickly, before my mother decides to question you herself. Has a report been written?”

“Y-yes, your highness. It was delivered when I arrived here.”

“Then good, go.” She watched him fly off, streaking through the air like a bolt. That news, unfortunately, wasn't the worst of it. Every unicorn that offered its loyalty to the nation was coming to the capital. Unfortunately, that meant forces that were already stretched paper thin, were now being stretched even more. There was already news of entire platoons turning their coats back to their home nation, cities that had fallen and supply lines cut off. With every air ship being directed here, they had no way to out maneuver and stop these leaks.

They still technically ruled the world, but within a few months there would be nothing more than the Water Nation and Fire Tribe lands to bare their flags. Some of their commanders had been smart and consolidated the cities. Fillydelphia held the vast majority of their forces in the Earth Kingdom and, fortunately, the city was near impenetrable. Unfortunately, outside the walls it was a gamble if the Water Nation could be recognized as having power. They now held less than a dozen cities in the Air Nomad lands, most of which would topple with a stiff breeze. The Fire Tribes were consolidating as well, but even now they were likely still spread out. The Water Nation was falling. The good news, however, was whatever her mother had planned would take place soon and, if the ruler was right, would put the fear of their nation back into the hearts of all. The enslavement of Discord was due to happen soon after.

They were losing the war, but they didn't have to delay much longer in order to win. Just a little longer and the other countries would all crumble like a stack of cards. She was... happy. Yes, she was definitely happy. Winning the war was all that mattered, all that ever mattered. They could remake the world as they saw fit, destroying all that opposed them.

But really, what was the point? She leaned back in her chair and sighed. Why did they have to destroy everypony else? This wasn't a war of resources, if anything they'd started to lose more resources because of this war. Territory could work, but why? Why did it matter so much that those other nations obey their whims? She could see the point of one unified world where all the countries served together, but why did it have to be with them on top? She thought back to all those cities and towns she'd seen in the Earth Kingdom. Ponies living out their lives. She wanted to win, there was no doubt of that. But at what cost?

“Your highness?” a voice shook her from her stupor, making her look up.

“Yes?”

“More messengers have arrived,” a unicorn said before saluting.

Sweetie sighed. “Let me guess. More reports of fallen cities and captured forces? No, no, don't tell me.” She waved a hoof dismissively. “Have them brought before me.” The soldier turned to leave. “Wait. My mother, are her preparations going well?”

“I couldn't say, your highness. The magic she is using is... beyond anything I can imagine. With such a force, I couldn't imagine any of the other nations managing to stand against us.”

Sweetie sighed and gave a small nod. “Neither could I...” She wondered why that unsettled her so.

------

“Ah can't believe it,” Applejack said with a small shake of her head. “Ah swear it glitters like water.”

“Reminds me of home,” Twilight said happily as she trotted towards the small town off in the distance. “Welcome to the desert, girls. We'll find what we can salvage and then head out.” The ground was almost barren, only the smallest of weeds managing to sprout up and endure the fierce heat and winds the desert brought. Just past the town they could make out where the dirt and rocks gave way to sand, rolling hills of it, glimmering in the sun like jewels. Rainbow had already investigated the buildings and found them to be abandoned, by the looks of it there had been a rush. There were still small plots of land with fruit trees, the only plants that seemed to thrive. Likely due to constant tending. The dirt near the town was compact and dry. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, either, leaving a clear blue horizon for their viewing pleasure.

“Reminds you of home? Isn't this your home?” Rarity asked softly.

“Well, yes. I mean, it was. But I spent most of my time researching and inside,” Twilight said softly. “I didn't take many opportunitys to visit most of the outer villages. Still, we should be able to find a few things that can help us go through. We'll need to travel at night, though.”

“Why? We've been here before,” Rainbow said with a shake of her head. “Remember? That was when you first woke up.”

“We'll be going through the desert, not around the outside of it,” Twilight said. “On hoof, no less. No flying. That'll make the trip a lot longer and you'll see just how hot it gets down here. It's like walking over a fire pit. During the day we'll need to camp out. We'll only be traveling at night.”

The pegasus shrugged as she looked around the town. “Ehhh. Whatever. Place is kinda... a dive. Look at all this stuff.”

The alicorn did and gave a soft sigh. There were plenty of buildings, but all were covered in dirt. Windows and doors were all closed tightly, many with locks on them. The ground still showed signs of movement, small gouges where heavy wheel barrows had been hauled. “The ponies here likely left in a hurry,” Twilight said as she glanced around. “But everything is locked up. That means they had to leave quickly, but not because of fighting. No, they were probably... relocated...” She frowned and rubbed her chin. “That means they likely left plenty of stuff behind. We'll need a compass, plenty of water proof bags, clothes and tents.” She glanced out of the town towards the stone road. “If we wear baggy clothing, we can probably just follow the road.”

“Follow the road? Won't that bring us to one of the cities then?” Rainbow asked with a snort. “Not to mention more of the Water Nation?”

“Maybe. But the desert can be treacherous. A map would be useful, too. We won't want to leave sight of the road if we can avoid it. It'll make the trip easier and keep us from... well...”

“What?” Fluttershy asked nervously.

“Well... ponies that disappeared into the desert sometimes... never returned. But that was only rarely!” Twilight said quickly. “Manehatten was designed to be very easy to find in the desert, especially at night. But, well... we won't always have it to guide us. It'll be best to play it safe, because if we get lost in the desert...” She glanced to her friends and shook her head. “Let's just make sure that doesn't happen.”

Pinkie nodded and glanced to their second smallest member. “Yeah, we just found Spike! Losing him again would totally ruin the climax. Besides, it would be doubling up AND a book late. Imagine the outcry.”

Twilight opened her mouth to say something, before shaking her head. “You know what? Pinkie, I'm just going to roll with it. I'm sure whatever you're talking about makes perfect sense and I'll definitely remember it if we ever go back to the Spirit World. For now though, girls, spread out. Find whatever you can. Once we're done we can take a nap before leaving.”

“Aye aye!” Pinkie said before hopping off into one of the buildings.

Twilight stared for a moment. “How did she... did she just...”

“I guess it makes sense for the second floor windows to be unlocked,” Rainbow said softly.

“But where in tarnation did she pull that trampoline from?” Applejack asked softly.

“Anyway,” the alicorn said with a shake of her head. “Rarity, you're with me.”

“Huh? Why? What are we doing?” the princess asked nervously as she shuffled from hoof to hoof.

“We're going to be traveling through the desert for quite a while.” The alicorn motioned towards the road. “Now, the most important thing we need when traveling through the desert is shelter and water. Food is pretty important too, but those two are the most important. So, lil miss water bender. You're going to help us find any sources of clean water nearby and fill up whatever we find. Okay?”

“Huh? Oh! Right, yes, of course.” Rarity nodded and trotted after the alicorn.

The two were soon separate from the rest of the group and the avatar turned. “I saw you with Fluttershy a few nights ago. What were you two talking about? It must have been important if you were sneaking off in the middle of the night to talk with her.”

The princess cringed. “It... it was personal. I just... after everything that happened, I had to talk with somepony.” She took a deep breath. “I... I know you don't trust me, but I swear it was just private and personal. Nothing to--”

The alicorn shook her head and raised a hoof, sighing. “That's... not what I meant. I know it had to be personal and it wasn't bad. Fluttershy would have told me if it was. No, I just... I wanted to say if you have things that are upsetting you or making you scared, you don't have to hide it from the group. You're... still not really one of us. But eventually you will. We look out for each other, help each other. Care for each other. This... isn't the kind of thing we can do on our own. So if you need somepony, don't hide it. Don't bury it inside. Just tell us all so we can help you. Okay?”

Rarity paused for a moment and smiled nervously. “Can you really afford to do that? I mean, I know you don't all trust me. Since I was a... since I'm an...”

“You're one of us, now. You were a dangerous threat at one time, but not anymore. Now you're just one of us. Nopony expects you to have to do this on your own, okay?” Twilight gave a reassuring smile. “Besides, showing that side of you, the side with fear and hurt and... all those things, could go a long way to earning you some trust.”

Rarity nodded as she trotted with the mare. “Thank you. Miss... Avatar, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Why? I mean... I get the feeling you trust me more than any of the others. Of all of them, I'd think you have the least reason to trust me. Why are you... okay with this?”

Twilight gave a soft, gentle sigh. “I don't trust you. I really don't. Every instinct I have tells me you'll turn on us the moment the time is right. But I trust Spike, who trusts you. If he says you're really all good now and going to do the right thing well... I believe him.”

Rarity blushed and gave a small nod. “I... I see. He is quite a sweet little dragon, isn't he?”

“Yes. I really do owe you for keeping him safe all this time. I can't begin to tell you how horrible I felt losing him like that. It... really was my fault. If I hadn't been so... stupid, none of this would have happened. If I just hadn't left him alone.”

Rarity nodded. “I... I see. I never got to find out, how was it that--” She stopped and looked around. “I... think I've found it.” She started to trot to the right, towards a small collapsed building. “I can feel water down under this. A small underground store.”

Twilight nodded and started tapping her hooves, using small pillars of stone and dirt to knock the wood aside. Soon a small, stone well was revealed, with a big metal lock and cap over it. “Well, at least they didn't drain it, at least not fully. Shame the building collapsed on it. I'll get this off in a second, will you be able to draw the water up and find out if anything is in it?”

“It'll be easy,” Rarity said softly. “Guess we're in luck, huh?”

------

Hours later the six ponies, one dragon and baby bunny stood on the north end of town, staring out across the long road before them. They each had a small bundle on their backs and plenty of small water skins dangling from their sides. They'd manged to find everything they'd need, mostly stored or abandoned. They weren't in the greatest condition, likely extras that the ponies hadn't had the space to take with them.

They were all wearing thin, dark colored cloaks that covered their bodies and were airy enough to let the heat out. Sadly, the amount of water they had was far less than they'd hoped. The well had been nearly drained already so while there was still some water, most of it was quite muddy. With Applejack and Rarity working together they managed to separate the water from the mud, but there was far less of it than they'd have hoped. Fortunately, they did manage to find a map and the next nearest town was only a few days away and, if Twilight was correct, they would arrive long before they ran out of water.

They did have plenty of food, however. The fruits they had plucked from the trees were a bit dried out, but would serve until they made it to the next town. After getting everything prepared, they had retired to some short naps in a few of the empty houses and were now feeling (mostly) refreshed and ready for a night of adventure. Or rather, a long gentle trot down the sandy road. The sun was almost down on the horizon as they started walking and almost instantly the temperature seemed to change.

“So, Twilight. You lived here back a hundred years ago, right? What are with these stone roads, anyway?” Rainbow asked.

“Oh, it's pretty obvious, isn't it?” Twilight asked with a smile. “Most of the Fire Tribe lands are desert. Now, normally this would be bad but all the dragons who we allied ourselves with were perfect for this environment and for years we worked together. We had plenty of towns outside the deserts and they tended to be best for raising vegetation. Air ships were a lot rarer back then, aside from in the Air Nomad lands. With so many supplies having to be hauled by cart or wagon, roads had to be built. The sands weren't stable enough. Actually...” She looked down and gave it a little tap, grinning. “Notice how the roads aren't a steady width all the way across?”

“Yeah.” The pegasus gave a shrug. “I just assumed your tribe sucked at building roads.”

“No,” she grumbled. “Under these roads is dragon glass. When the roads were first made, the dragons flew from town to town, using their magic flame to super heat the sand and turn them into roads of magical dragon glass. Over those roads stone was placed. Even after a hundred years it tells stories about the magical properties of that glass, considering the roads are still unburied by the sand. If you removed the stone, it might still even be hot.”

Rarity gave a little smile to Spike. “Really? I had no idea that a dragon's flames could be used to make such things. Spike, you must make some glass like that for me when this is all over. Just imagine the jewelry I could make.”

Spike opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the avatar. “Those were fully grown dragons. It'll probably fifty, even a hundred years before Spike is anywhere near old enough and strong enough to make flame like that.”

The dragon humphed. “I can do flame just fine! Magic flame, too!”

“Yes, but that's a small amount of magic. This was the flame of a fully grown dragon, probably a few centuries old. It wouldn't be fair to compare the two.”

Spike grumbled grouchily, crossing his arms as he walked. “I could make magic fire and dragon glass if I really wanted...”

“So, this town we're headed to,” Applejack said suddenly. “Yah ever been there, Twi?”

“Well, not exactly,” the avatar said. “But we'll be following the map so I'm sure we'll find it no problem. These roads were built specifically to get a pony safely from point A to point B.”

“If we don't find it, I'll just fly off ahead and find us something,” Rainbow said with a shrug. “Trust me, I know--”

“Rainbow, let's only do that in the event of an emergency,” Twilight said harshly. “I know you're fast, but flying through here can be... well...”

“I've done it before, I'll be fine.”

“Do you think you'd be able to find us again if you had to? Sure, you might be able to get out of the desert, but without the roads to guide you how would you ever find us again?”

The pegasus rolled her eyes. “Relax. I don't plan on just darting for no reason, only if there's an emergency. I'm not going to disappear in the middle of the night, so relax, okay?”

Twilight gave a slow nod and sighed. “Sorry. I'm just a little tense...”

Rarity trotted up to walk besides the alicorn. “When was the last time you were here?”

“Well... in the desert? About a hundred years ago,” the alicorn said. “But... I was on the outskirts when I first awoke. We even found the Great Dragon. But... I haven't been able to come here, to come home in... so long. So very, very long. The last time I was here...” She looked up at the clear sky, the stars twinkling down at them. “The heavens were falling around me and... everypony was screaming.”

“Are you going to be okay?” the princess asked softly. “Returning home can be... difficult. Especially if it's not... what you remembered.”

Twilight gave an aggressive huff. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing. I'm just saying that, well... the Fire Tribes won't be how you remembered them. Times have changed, they've changed. They aren't... your ponies any more. They're my mothers and--”

“They are NOT your mother's ponies!” Twilight said, before stomping her hooves. “The Water Nation may have invaded and hurt them, but the Fire Tribes will always be the same.”

Rarity cringed. “I... didn't mean to upset you. I just don't want you to be hurt by... impossible expectations. I... know how much it can hurt to have the ponies you once knew... not exist any more.”

“The ponies I once knew are long dead. But that does not mean the fire of my home is gone.”

Rainbow gave a swift nod. “Actually, Twilight's right. Things aren't as bad here as Rarity seems to think. After we ran, there was so much happening I forgot to tell you. I guess now is as good a time as any, especially since we have Spike again. When I met with the others, well, they had some very good news. Something the fire benders had been working on with the Great Dragon after the fall of Fillydelphia.” She paused for dramatic effect.

“Well? What is it?” Applejack asked with a snort. “Yah plannin' tah make us wait all night?”

“Mayyyybe. No, not really.” A cocky grin formed on the pegasus' face. “The fire benders had been working to find the eggs of dragons, the ones hidden away and waiting to be hatched for... well, the last century or so.” She glanced to Spike. “It'd already been done once so it wasn't impossible for it to happen again.”

Twilight stopped in mid step. “Rainbow, what are you telling me?”

“There are dragons again. They managed to hatch a bunch of the eggs and in a few years they... well, maybe not a few years. But, in a few centuries there might be hundreds, even thousands of them. They've only got a few eggs so far, but Spitfire said there could be entire hoards of those eggs hidden away, just waiting to hatch.”

Twilight had no idea what to say, she just started walking again. “Why didn't you tell me this sooner?” she finally asked, barely able to keep the excited squeal out of her voice.

“You had a lot on your mind, I didn't want to overwhelm you. That and then we had to run for our lives. I thought now you could use a bit of excitement.”

The alicorn gave a little nod. “I... t-thank you. That is quite possibly the best news I've ever received. Some of the best, at least.”

“Ohhhh! When we stop let's throw a big party!” Pinkie said with a giggle. “We can celebrate the new dragons and everything!”

Twilight shrugged. “You know what? I think for once I'll go along with this. A small party might be nice.”

------

Twilight had a headache, not from the punch. Or rather, from the punch, the cup cakes, the noise makers, the everything. They were in the middle of the desert! There WERE no eggs or sugar or frosting or even a stove! Yet, somehow, Pinkie had managed to throw a party. With confetti and all the treats and punch.

The alicorn had no idea how and was terrified to question it, afraid that all that free food(that had somehow disappeared when everypony went to nap) would somehow leave their stomachs. She wondered if it was some kind of magic, was it possible the earth pony had magic? After all, Pinkie was the only non-magic user in their group. No bending to speak of. But it was like the pink pony could bend reality itself.

Twilight desperately wanted to examine everything with a magnifying glass and scan everything for magical run off. But was afraid if she did reality would crash in on them like a tidal wave. But she wanted to know so badly what was going on.

It didn't help that they weren't exactly comfortable. They'd set up camp a little before dark, setting up a large sand covered tent just off the road and used their blankets to keep the sand from getting into all their nooks and crannies. But it was still dry and hot. A year ago she had spent every day around such heat, but now it just felt weird. She was so used to moistness and cool air that it was making it hard to breath.

After the party they'd all collapsed into little heaps and gotten a few hours of sleep. But when she woke up, she woke up with a vengeance. She kept glancing at her pink friend with a mix of confusion, awe and amazement. She then glanced to Fluttershy and gave a little smile too. Her friends were all changing, more and more things were happening. Even the last pony she'd have imagined had saved their flanks.

She closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep, but her mind quickly started wandering again. She was almost back home, she could barely believe it. It felt like she hadn't been home in centuries. But it hadn't even been a year, to her. She felt a little pang of guilt. She could barely even remember what her home had been like, but everypony she ever knew and loved was gone. Her parents, her teachers, her friends. Not that she had many of those. In fact, the ones she had now were probably the closest she'd ever had.

She opened an eye and glanced to them again, more guilt flooding her heart. It wasn't really fair, now that she thought about it. Every one of these ponies should have had long, happy, fulfilling lives. Instead they had to run around with her, nearly dying at every step. They'd had to abandon their own friends and families to be by her side. This was her duty and yet she dragged them into it, no matter what they wanted to do with their lives. She curled up into a little ball and let out a soft sob.

She truly was the worst avatar that had ever existed. She'd failed a hundred years ago and she failed only a week ago. What if she failed next time they needed her? What if all she could do was fail? It's not like they'd get another chance. If she died, Discord would arrive unchallenged. She had to do something. If she didn't, everything would fail. She'd--

“You okay?” a voice suddenly penetrated her head.

The alicorn looked up to see Rarity. “Huh? Oh... yeah, I just had a... lot on my mind. It's nothing.”

“I thought I heard you sobbing...”

“N-not at all. I just... what are you doing up, anyway?”

“It's so hot here, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep,” Rarity said softly as she slowly sat up from her mat. “I'm not used to this heat.” Her pristine white coat glistened with sweat.

Twilight nodded and sat up. “I haven't... been able to sleep well either...” She glanced down at her friends, who were snoring softly. Even Spike was curled up in a little ball and snoring loudest of all. She frowned when she noticed Rainbow, who was supposed to be on watch, gently snoring by the entrance. Pinkie's parties were brutal to staying awake. “Want to come on watch with me?”

“I'd be happy to,” the princess said before getting to her hooves. The two walked to the door and peered out. They quickly closed the door and blinked rapidly, the blinding sand making their eyes hurt. “W-wow. Is it always so bright out there?”

“It's the sand. It's so light and bright and just... blinding. Ow.” Twilight reached down and gave Rainbow a little shake.

“Huh? Wha?” the pegasus said with a groan. “Twilight? Whas goin' on?” She blinked blearily.

“I'm taking over watch. You can go get some sleep, okay?”

Rainbow gave a small nod and a yawn, before trotting away. Within a few moments her snores could be heard again.

“Truly a great watchmare,” Rarity said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Rainbow is a great friend,” Twilight said defensively. “It's just hard to stay awake when you're so full of Pinkie's sweets. We slept quite a while, too.” She paused and sat down. “It might actually be my watch so... who knows. Maybe it is?” She wondered how long she'd slept, but didn't want to look outside again to find out.

Rarity slowly sat down besides her. “Fine. So... why were you so upset? Was something wrong?”

“Nothing was wrong, I was just...” Her words trailed off as she looked the water bender over. “You... I mean... the last hundred years. What were they like? I mean, to the Water Nation. How did they see them? After my... disappearance.”

Rarity stared at the doorway long and hard, letting the sound of snores envelope them. Finally, she spoke up. “It's difficult. Hard to... explain. You see, the things I was told as a child, our history, isn't exactly the most unbiased of opinions.”

“I know. Just tell me what you can, please.”

Rarity sighed and gave a weak, slow nod. “F-fine. Just remember this doesn't exactly... portray the ideas and mentality of everypony. Just what we were taught. Once the last avatar was defeated, the first Nightmare Moon rose up and ruled over both the Water Nation and... your home. During the initial days of the war, she struck hard and fast. Most of the other nations didn't even know what was going on, they just knew the night was lasting a long time and the moon hadn't moved in days. Supposedly the other nations thought the fire benders had done something. During the confusion the Water Nation thrived. They cut off the Fire Tribe lands from all outside ponies, killed, imprisoned or de-horned all who lived in this country and you, most of all, were sought vehemently. Your home was in shambles, so many ponies dead and homes destroyed they they couldn't even put up a fight. You were never found so it was assumed, wrongly, that you were one of the ones found and de-horned. During her reign though, she never stopped looking.”

The alicorn nodded. “How many ponies would have kept their horns if not for me?”

“None of them,” Rarity said with a shake of her head.

“I was the avatar, I could have--”

“Done nothing. The last avatar had fallen to her. An avatar with tremendous power and skill, who had already fought and defeated this Discord amongst who knew how many other threats. What makes you think you could have defeated her? The other countries weren't ready to fight the Water Nation and she would have expended every available resource trying to find you if so much of a hint of your existence remained. More ponies likely would have died had you appeared.”

Twilight gave a slow, steady nod. “But I still should have done something...”

“You're doing the best you can. You're giving your life, fighting constantly, always working to save the world. Even though almost the entire world is trying to take you down. Even though I was trying to capture you. You... can't spend your whole life regretting the things you didn't do because you weren't around.”

The alicorn gave a sheepish smile. “I never thought I'd hear these words of encouragement from you, of all ponies.”

Rarity sighed and opened the door again, peering into the sea of shiny sand. “I... really should have known all this far, far sooner. I was just... so dedicated to what I thought was my destiny. To my own desire to return home. It never dawned on me just how much good you were doing.” She paused again. “No. It did. But I shut it out, crushing it down to the ground. Even when I met fire benders who were... nothing like my people said they were, I still focused on trying to capture you. Certain that all my problems would disappear if you were captured.”

Twilight nodded and then glanced over to the princess as the door fluttered shut. “You know, had I not disappeared, your family might not... have been suffering from this trouble. In fact, you might have had a great life.”

“Had you not disappeared, you may have died and the next avatar may have been destroyed. I think the next in the cycle is an earth or air bender.” Rarity shook her head. “The Water Nation would have stopped at nothing to eliminate them, permanently, if there was the merest credible hint of which it was. Instead, they focused on a two pronged war that, while brutal and ended in a lot of taken lands, it slowed them down enough. Your disappearance could have possibly been the best thing to happen to all the nations.”

Twilight scoffed. “Yeah. I come back and within a year the war is lost. All the lands are ruled and--”

“Things aren't really as bad as you think,” Rarity interrupted. “My... people have over stretched themselves. They are holding too many places without enough resources. You are a beacon for all ponies to get behind. I've seen the reports, worked on keeping things stable. My mother was betting a lot on your defeat, and the defeat of the fire benders, when you attacked Canterlot. You may not have won, but the damage you caused will still be felt. So long as you're still alive, ponies still have somepony they can get behind. A face they can cheer. Somepony they can believe in.”

“But if I hadn't disappeared--”

“If you hadn't disappeared, things may have been different. May have. But you are just one pony, in the end. A powerful one, but only one. You can't bear all this on your own. Trust me.” Rarity lowered her gaze to the ground. “It... it's impossible to carry everything on your own shoulders. I've tried. All that happens is you get crushed. You... need ponies you can depend on. Ponies who can help you. Who can stand by you. Who can...” A few tears started to well up in her eyes. “Who can accept you. Who won't... die...”

Twilight stared at the mare and moved closer, slowly inching a wing over her. “Your aunt isn't dead, I'm sure.”

“I... I know. I wasn't... thinking about... never mind. We should get some--”

“What did you just tell me about not having to do everything myself? What did I tell you about depending on us, too?” the alicorn asked with a smile. “Come on, tell me. What was your friends name?”

Rarity took a deep breath. “He's... dead now. I'd honestly rather not talk about it. It still... stabs really close to home, okay? He was just one of the few ponies who were... okay with me being a water bender. Even the daughter of Nightmare Moon. Even though we were supposed to be enemies.”

Twilight gave a slow, steady nod. “Okay. I won't push it but... if you ever want to talk about it, just know we're always here. You're... right. We do need each other.”

Rarity nodded slowly and then gave the avatar a small smile. “You know it's not your fault, right? This war? It's... the avatar isn't responsible. Our history is filled with ponies going to war. Fire, water, air, earth. At one point or another they have each started a war and tried to take over everything.”

“They've always failed,” Twilight said softly.

“Yes. The avatar or somepony else always stopped them. But it's not the avatar's fault that somepony else tried to take everything. You're doing the best you can. Nopony else has any right to ask anything more of you.” She gave an encouraging smile. “This war will fail too. It's success will be short lived, trust me. I've seen the writing on the... well, the reports.”

Twilight gave a small nod and smiled back. “Thanks. I ummm... I'm going to stay up for a while. If you want to get some sleep, you're free to. You aren't really on watch duty yet.”

“I'll stay up. I doubt I could sleep anyway,” Rarity said as she hunkered down to keep watch with the mare, the two occasionally looking out the door towards the miles and miles of empty sand.

------

Days later, short on supplies and tired of scorching days and comparatively icy nights, the town came within view as they walked down the road.

The small town glowed brilliantly in the night, allowing them to see it from miles away. Rainbow flew off ahead to scout, as usual, and soon returned with a small flier and encouraging news.

“Lots of ponies here, but only a token guard on defense,” the pegasus said with a smirk. “Apparently the civilians from three or four other towns have been brought to wait here and tensions are high. They're waiting for reinforcements and more supplies before heading towards Manehatten. Now, onto the good news.” She tugged on her cloak. “Almost everypony has one of these and the few guards they have aren't able to keep a close eye on those walking the streets. Getting in, getting supplies and everything, should be a cinch. We could probably smuggle in with them to Manehatten and swing around the city if we need to. In the mean time, we can set up our shop amongst the other refuges, blend in easily.”

Twilight nodded. “Well, that's good. What's that flier from?”

“Saw it, thought it might catch your interest.” The pegasus put it down on the ground so the others could see it.

Come one, come all to a production of the ages! The story of the Avatar, the one and only balancer of the four elements. Hear the story starting from her awakening, a Pony Wu production.

Information gathered from all across the Extended Water Nation. Generals, soldiers, muffin salesponies and all manner of other informants have had every ounce of fact compressed into this short five hour play. Hear about the Avatar's adventures atop the Great Dragon, the defeat of General Trixie, the fall of Fillydelphia and her eventual death!

The rest of the flier had time and location, but they had been crossed out and rewrote so the location was the town and the time was tomorrow afternoon.

Twilight stared at it for a few moments. “I... see. A play? That's kind of...”

“Ohhhh, can we see? Can we, can we?” Pinkie asked excitedly. “I bet it'll be really good!”

Applejack shrugged. “Well, if we plan tah mix in, can't hurt tah go an' see the show.” She looked around before pointing out a large light just outside the town. “That's probably where it's all bein' set up. Maybe we can even use it to our advantage.”

Twilight gave a small shrug. “I guess. For now, let's go try to mix in with the refuges. We'll see about getting some new supplies while we're here, maybe even find a quicker way to where the others are. You sure we won't draw too much attention in our robes?”

Rainbow shook her head. “Not a chance. We'd probably draw more if we weren't in them. Come on, follow me. We can swing off the road a bit away from the town, then join the ponies near the back. Easy as pie.”

“Okay then, come on girls,” Twilight said as she stepped forward and took a deep breath. She could barely believe it, she'd be back with her own people again. If only she could tell them she was there.

PreviousChapters Next