• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 2,956 Views, 190 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 3: Unicorn - Jeweled Pen



Third book in the MLP Avatar the last airbender saga. Twilight must face off against the seemingly invincible Water Nation, and its ruler Nightmare Moon. Can she harness and use the elements in time to defeat her greatest enemy?

  • ...
10
 190
 2,956

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8: Infiltration

Fluttershy held her breath, eyes anxiously scanning over the tower as she flew over the deadly lake. A few lights were burning inside it and she swore she could see shadows moving, though from the distance it was impossible to make out. Every second they were in the air was another second they might be noticed. Rainbow didn't say a word, gliding silently beside the mare, seeming to only use a tenth of the energy to maintain her height that the yellow pegasus did.

The moon was less than half full, but it still offered them enough light to see the platform when they came closer. Flying over it made Fluttershy shiver, as it was smooth and metallic. In the daylight hours the heat had to be unbearable, not to mention the reflection must make it near impossible to see. They glided down and hovered near the edge. “Psst... ummmm... mister earth pony prisoner? We... ummmmm...”

Ponys were tightly packed across the platform. Near the center they were practically on top of each other, but the outer reaches had most ponies laying as close to the center as they could, some with hooves dangling over the edges. It was a wonder any of them could sleep.

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “HEY!” she yelled, her voice echoing through the lake. Heads shot up, though Fluttershy squeaked in fear.

“Y-you're going to alert the Water Nation!”

“Oh, right. Sorry. Heh heh. Hey, you, earth ponies. Why are you all in here?”

More than a few heads were rising now as ponies near the edge got to their hooves, quickly backing up to allow the two room. They landed and looked around, warily. “Who are you?” one of the ponies finally asked.

“The best ponies you've ever seen,” Rainbow snapped angrily. “Now answer the question, who are all you? Why are you prisoners here?”

“We're war prisoners, most of us. Captured earth benders. They dumped all of us here and have been keeping us trapped. Are you from Fillydelphia? Is the war going well? Have we finally won?” Hope filled the pony's voice, making the yellow mare's heart sink at what they must say next.

The two mares looked each other in the eye and shared a soft sigh, before the blue mare stepped forward. “Fillydelphia fell. The Water Nation-- WHOA!” Rainbow took to the air, narrowly avoiding a gray earth pony who charged at her, hooves swinging.

“You lying feather sucker! How dare you say that! The Earth Kingdom could never have fallen! Fillydelphia is impenetrable!”

Rainbow growled and flapped her wings, barely resisting the urge to send a burst of wind down through them. If the platform was bigger, she likely would have. Instead, she growled. “It has, and it wasn't impenetrable. The Water Nation now has majority control over all four countries, though that doesn't mean they've won. It just means our movements are different. If you're all members of the Earth Kingdom, we're here to rescue you. Sorta. We will be. Now calm your flank down.” The pegasus looked around and, to her surprise, saw Fluttershy still standing on the platform. She was shaking, but hadn't taken to the air. “Fluttershy?”

“O-oh, right. I ummm, I-I'm a healer. Or... kinda and... I have medicine. Before anything else, I need to see your wounded.”

“The wounded can wait,” the first pony said, before stomping a hoof down. Rainbow quickly dove down and landed on the edge, her eyes trailing to the tower. She could see a shadow blocking the light. She prayed they were impossible to see in the dark from such a distance. “You're here--” His mouth was filled with a hoof, silenced by the pegasus.

“Keep it down,” she whispered. “Do you want to alert the whole Water Nation what we're doing?” She pulled her hoof back and the stallion spit.

“Fine. You're here though, get us out. You have wings, fly us out of here.”

“Impossible,” Rainbow mumbled. “At least, for now. Do you know how many are in that tower?”

The stallion slowly shook his head. “No... they had a resupply less than a week ago though. Probably a dozen or so.”

“Exactly. It would take all night for us to get you out of here and if we were spotted, we'd be dead. We could only fly two, maybe three if we were lucky, of you at a time. And we'd have to take breaks since none of you earth ponies are ever light. There's too much poison here and far too easy for them to take us out. For now, we need everypony good and ready for when we try an escape.” Rainbow nodded to Fluttershy. “That means letting my friend here help all of you.”

The stallion growled, but slowly nodded. “Fine. If you won't get me out of here, we need food. Water. Supplies. I'm starving here!”

Rainbow nodded and Fluttershy slowly moved forward. “One thing at a time. Hurt and wounded first. We can probably get you grass for now, but that'll be it. Supplies aren't our strong point.”

The stallion growled and stormed forward, towering over Rainbow. “Listen, pegasus. I don't care about all this, just get me out of here. Don't think I won--” The stallion was cut off when her wing shot out, the gust of wind slashing through and cutting the ends off his mane.

“Don't think for a second you can boss me around,” she growled, staring up defiantly into the stallion's eyes. “I've been fighting longer tha--”

“Y-you're a Wonderbolt!” the stallion interrupted, quickly taking a step back. “I-I'm so sorry, I thought you were just a pegasus, I didn't think you were, I mean, you didn't have your uniform! I never thought one of your kind would be here to help us!”

Rainbow stared, the gears clicking in her head. A smirk formed on her lips a moment later. “Yes. A Wonderbolt. Now, if all of you will keep calm and listen to us, we should have you all ready to escape in a few days. Got it?”

“Of course,” he said obediently, nodding his head. “Whatever you say.”

“Good, now help Fluttershy... get to your...” she trailed off when she saw the pegasus already on the opposite end of the platform, working with some prisoners. “Never mind. Looks like she has it under control.”

------

Twilight watched the platform, nervously chewing on her hooves as they waited. “Do you think they've been there too long?”

“Nah. Ain't been there longer 'an ah would expect,” Applejack said with a shrug, though she refused to leave her watching position either.

“She'll probably be gone for hours, it's her arc,” Pinkie said happily from her resting spot in the back of their little cave. “About time too, if you ask me. She could reallllllly use one now. Especially after losing her powers like that...” The mare's voice went soft and sad. “Though, she wasn't supposed to do that... the story still needs those...”

“Pinkie? What in tarnation are yah prattelin' on about?” Applejack asked, glaring at the mare.

“Huh? Oh, pinkie sense! Well, sorta. I mean... it's kinda broken but it's still there. Partially. Huh,” the mare sighed and rolled over, placing her back to them.

Applejack opened her mouth to speak, but Twilight clamped it shut with magic. “Don't ask. I've tried to figure it out, I still don't. Just be thankful it seems to be on our side.”

“Well... ah guess... err, alright then?” the earth pony said, still looking confused. “We still gotta work on our plan though. Namely, findin' out what we can about that there tower. We already know they got at least three ponies there, who knows how many of them are benders? All that poison there makes me a mite iffy about tryin' a head on assault.”

“How long would it take you to take the tower down?” Twilight asked, eying it. From the distance it was almost invisible, blending in with the night almost perfectly, aside from its small light.

“Well, from what ah saw it was mostly wood. Wouldn't be too hard,” Applejack mumbled. “But it's big enough tah hold thirty or more ponies, if tightly. Even if we launched a sneak attack, ah don't know if ah could handle them all, with benders. They got a whole lake'a poisonous water tah call on. That's not even mentioning what ah can feel under the ground.”

Twilight blinked a few times. “Wait... under the ground?”

“Eeyup. There's a lotta water under there. Not real surprisin', they had all kinds of underground traps set up at their outposts back home, makes sense they might use'em here too. Any earth benders who tried tah just launch a direct attack would be in for an awful surprise if they charged in.”

“Well, how do we take them out then?” Twilight nervously lowered her gaze. “I mean, if we can just disable them for a bit, that could work?”

Applejack sighed. “We could try takin' 'em out, one by one. But we'd need tah know how many of them there are, an' how well they work tagether. If we try anythin', they might send for reinforcements right away an' then we'd be up a creek without a paddle. An' the water is poisonous.”

“Infiltration?” the alicorn asked softly.

“Maybe. No, no it won't work. We can't go an' spy on 'em, they--”

“You can't use your bending without running into problems,” Twilight said softly. “Fluttershy and Rainbow are going to be too busy helping the ponies already captured. But I, on the other hoof, could fly in and--”

Applejack stomped a hoof down and knocked Twilight's hooves out from under her. “Ah ain't lettin' yah even start that line'a thinkin'. Yah are stayin' put here until we're done. We ain't alertin'... Twi? Yah okay?”

Twilight laid on the ground and clutched her hoof, slowly nodding. “Y-yeah, fine. Just... just fell on it wrong.” She got to her hooves, though she kept her weight off her hurt one. “Nothing to--”

“Did ah knock yah off too hard? Ah geeze, ah'm sorry. Ah was jus' tryin' tah make mah point,” the earth pony said softly, her voice filled with regret. She leaned in and tried to help her up.

“N-no, it's fine, s-see...” the alicorn slowly put her weight on it, making a hiss of pain. She yanked it back up.

“Ah did! Oh Twilight, I'm so sorry, ah just don't know my own strength. A-ah never meant--”

“I already hurt it earlier!” Twilight finally shrieked, gently shaking. She swore she saw disappointment in the mare's face, even in the dark. She quickly tried to defend herself. “It's not your fault. I hurt it yesterday, b-but I didn't want to say anything because we were running so I had Fluttershy look at it! I didn't want to make any of you worry and I thought since all we were doing was walking--” She was cut off by a hoof to her mouth.

“Twilight... yah shouldn't a done that. If yah gone an' hurt yourself, yah shoulda just told us. What did Fluttershy say?”

“It should all be better in a few days. She gave me a potion and--”

“Well fine then. Yah gonna rest then. Just leave this whole affair to the four of us.”

“But--”

“That's an order comin' from your teacher, yah understand? Don't make me bury yah under a rock fort. Now git some sleep. Got it?”

The mare stared for a few moments, before slowly nodding. “Yes ma'am...”

------

The sun slowly crept over the land, casting its light over ponies across the Water Nation. Flowerbloom and her family, however, had been wide awake for hours. A single, small letter was resting on their table, bearing Nightmare Moon's royal seal. None of them had the courage to open it.

“It... it could be from your friend,” Fizzy said nervously. “M-maybe she just had her ma seal it?”

“Ah don't think she would. Ah mean, askin' her mom tah seal it would be a bit much,” Flowerbloom said nervously, before nudging it. She recoiled as if it bit her. “M-maybe s-she read it an' jus' wanted us to know she supported the decision?” Her voice betrayed her fear, however.

“W-well, no point in jus' gawkin' at it,” Jubilee said nervously. “It won't open itself, no matter how much we watch. Go ahead, Flowerbloom.”

“Ah... ah don't know. Ah mean... errr... Pa? How about you try it?”

“Well... err, it could be from your friend, right? Her ma coulda jus' sealed it.”

A pegasus trotted in from outside, stretching his wings as he walked. “Mmmm hmmm. Thanks Mrs. Cherry, that was del...” His eyes caught the letter and he stared at it, confused. “Why haven't you opened it yet?”

“We... we're workin' on it!” Jubilee said nervously. “It's just, we weren't expecting a letter from her highness. Ah mean, it's not that we mind or anything silly like that! Jus', yah know. It, errr, it's a might surprisin'. Maybe if, errr, yah were tah open it for us?”

The pegasus rolled his eyes and stepped forward, reaching for the letter. Though his hoof stopped an inch over it and his face turned pale. “A-actually, that probably wouldn't go well. Her highness might flail my hide if she found out I opened the letter I was delivered to instruct. I mean, instructed to deliver. A-all I'm supposed to do is deliver your response, so ummm... I'll leave it to you all.”

“Thanks,” Flowerbloom said, voice filled with sarcasm. With one last deep breath, she reached her hoof out and took the letter, tearing it open. She shrieked when the paper fell out and all four ponies dropped to the ground, hiding under the table.

“You know, this speaks really badly of your confidence in your life choices,” the pegasus said flatly.

“You're hidin' too. All this shows is that we've all grown tah know her highness an' know better than tah jus' blindly trust whatever she sends us.”

Flowerbloom was the first to climb out from hiding and leaned over the table, reading the note. Her eyes bulged wide and her mouth fell open. “Ah... ah can't believe it!”

“What's it say?” Jubilee asked, jumping up besides the mare.

“Her highness, Nightmare Moon, approves my request. A ship has already been prepared for us. All we have tah do is head to the capital and show this letter. All that's requested of us is that we send confirmation and the date of arrival.” She paused and read through it a few more times. “An AIRSHIP has been approved. We're... allowed tah take it anywhere we desire in the kingdom, so long as, ummm... we send back regular reports on our findin's.”

Fizzy slowly nodded, before jotting down the confirmation and their expected time of arrival, then sent the pegasus off. “We'll be able to arrive by tomorrow,” he said once the pegasus was gone. “Yah didn't... tell her what yah were looking for, did yah? About your parents and--”

“No! AH just said we wished tah investigate the kingdom. Mah earth bending could be used for all sorts of things. Ah was making excuses and... why in the world would her highness allow me tah do such a thing? Ah mean, Sweetie ah understand, but Nightmare Moon? And personally?” the earth pony gulped nervously, unease spreading all the way to her hooves. “Yah don't think she's up tah anything, do yah?”

Fizzy thought for a moment, then shook his head. “No. Ah'm sure it's nothing. Ah sent our request mahself, so she was probably responding more tah me than she was you. There's no other reason for her tah get involved, otherwise.” He tried to keep his voice calm and collected, but a slight tremble betrayed him.

“Ah'm sure ah'm just overthinking it,” Flowerbloom mumbled, before smiling. “Ah... ah guess we'd better go now, huh? Can't take it back now. Even if we wanted tah...” Silence hung in the air for a few moments, the three ponies sharing worried glances. However, with no other path open to them, Flowerbloom and Fizzy gave their final good byes and left the farm, only occasionally glancing back as they left their home behind.

------

Fluttershy sighed and softly broke apart dirt clumps between her hooves. She was with her friends again, hidden in a slightly permeable cave, cool and hidden thanks to Applejack's bending. It was extremely dark, only a small light coming from a few tiny holes far across the 'room' they now had. There was still plenty of cool air coming from the twisting cavern that made up the only exit. Everypony but her, including Angel, was now sleeping in preparation for their nights tasks.

Unfortunately, none of them were sure how to get the ponies out, yet. The most obvious course was just free as many as they could by flying them out, but if they were spotted there would be a full battle and every pony still on the platform would be easy pickings, slaughtered in seconds. Not to mention she, Twilight and even Rainbow were against the idea of full conflict.

Not that many of those ponies were able to fight. Most were suffering from exposure and malnutrition. Rainbow had a talk with the ponies and they'd promised to put on a show today, but they'd distribute the food evenly. She'd given them an ointment to rub over the most severe burns, but she didn't have nearly enough for all the ponies there. Her head lowered in sadness. If she could only use her healing abilities, she could have removed all the burns in moments and helped those ponies easily. Instead, she could only reduce the effects of their torment.

Worst of all were those affected by the poisons. As she had expected, during high winds and other harsh weather, the water would lap around the platform and splash onto some of the ponies. Fortunately, it was rarely a fatal amount, unfortunately the already hurt and sickly ponies were ill suited to fight off its effects. The poisons would burn the skin and make them weak. Still, there was a small bit of good news.

Since most of them were earth benders, once they were out it would be easy. As long as they stayed away from settlements they could go out and never be found, possibly even help them on the Summer Sun Solstace. She'd have to talk with them about that.

Though, to do that they had to get them out. Rainbow had been keeping a look out and she mentioned seeing the guards, illuminated by lights, a few times before the lights went out. After about midnight, darkness enveloped the tower, but who knew who could have been watching? At that distance, they could barely see the tower outlined by the hills, and she doubted they could make any of them out on the platform. However, three or four ponies flying over the lake could easily be seen, even by moonlight.

Stealing the boat and getting them out that way was another possibility, but it would be easy to notice it was gone and even easier to take whoever was out on the water. They would be able to move more ponies faster that way. It was easily the best option for a speedy rescue. If they had an opportunity, it would be their best plans. However, they'd first have to find out how many soldiers were in that accursed tower and find a way to distract them long enough to free the captured ponies. Which brought her all the way back to the beginning. They needed information, plans and opportunity, and they had none. Applejack couldn't bend near the tower, Twilight needed rest, Pinkie was... a wonderful pony who she did not trust in any capacity for stealth. It was completely hopeless. They...

Her ears perked up. “I... I could do it,” she whispered, before crouching back down and shaking her head. No no no no. That was far too dangerous, far too scary. There could be all kinds of soldiers there! Dangerous, killers, who knows what those ponies would do to her if they found out? They might break her wings, even cut them off! They probably would. She'd heard stories of the Water Nation doing that to pegasi they'd captured, and she'd seen enough to believe them. No, it was far too dangerous. If they did that, she'd probably end up on that platform with the others, captured and helpless. Waiting for a rescue that might never... never come...

With a soft, gentle whimper she got to her hooves. She slowly tip-hoofed towards the exit, though as quiet as she tried to be, deep down she hoped one of her friends might awaken. Might convince her to do something else. Anything else. Alas, they slept soundly and she made it outside without any complications. She stared outside, towards the platform. The ponies there were still laying, unmoving and trying their best to avoid falling over the edge. She took a deep breath. “W-well, they haven't dropped off food yet, so it's still a while until dusk. There's n-no need to do this. It's dangerous. Silly even. I-I'm sure we could find out information another way. I-I mean... t-there has to be another way, right?” she asked, though there was nothing nearby to answer her.

She looked out to the platform one more time and took a deep breath. “N-no. There isn't. Fluttershy, y-you can do this. Those ponies need you. You cannot, and will not let them down.” She took one unsteady step forward, followed by another, then another, and another. “Y-you might not be as smart as Twilight, or strong as Applejack, or fast as Rainbow Dash, or as... Pinkie Pie, but you can do this. You're the only pony who can. The others always run head first into danger, it's your turn now. You're a member of this group, y-you can do this. You CAN!” she told herself, again and again as she walked. With each iteration she found her courage building.

She came closer to the ominous tower and gulped nervously. When cover began to run out, she dashed wildly between trees, rocks and other things she could use as cover, her body shaking and sweating. The closer she got, the more imposing and terrifying the tower became. By the time she was one good dart from the base, it seemed tall enough to tear the heavens and the worn wood looked jagged and sharp enough to impale a pony on. She whimpered softly and dashed up the closest tree, watching nervously.

She sat and waited, watching the main exit so intently she was certain it would burst into flames. But nothing happened. Gradually, the fear and trepidation began to evaporate, giving way to relaxation and, soon after that, boredom. The jagged, massive tower of fear and destruction soon returned to the stall, thin, shabby tower constructed of worn down wood and a thin layer of dark blue paint, and from this distance she could tell most of the colors had flaked off. A few places even had new boards covering cracks.

Even though the branch she was laying on was uncomfortable, she quickly found her eyes beginning to droop. A low, gentle yawn escaped her mouth and she leaned forward. With other branches pressed against her side, she doubted she was in any real danger of falling, so she weighed the options of catching a few seconds nap.

The decision was soon made for her, as she drifted off. She didn't know how long she'd rested, but was suddenly awoke by a loud slam. She barely caught herself from crying out, even though her entire body was now sore from resting on the rough, hard branch.

Four ponies were exiting the tower, again. Was it already so late? Had she slept the entire day in a tree? She stood up slowly and cringed, her muscles screaming in objection. She certainly felt as if she had. With a squeak, her leg gave out and she toppled over a branch and fell out of the tree, landing on the grass at its base. It took every ounce of self control to avoid letting out a cry of pain, though she couldn't bring herself to look up. She was certain they'd heard her and she couldn't hide from her position.

After a few painful, terrifying minutes, she raised her head. The ponies were nowhere near her, instead they were working on the boat and preparing for the next trip. Once again the pegasus jumped off ahead and flew to the platform, while two unicorn took off in the boat and the last watched from the shore. Now was her chance.

With as little sound as she could make, she spread her wings and flew up. On the top floor there was a small balcony and, while it did have a door, she doubted it would be locked. She landed on it and went completely still, peering in through a window with bated breath.

The room was barren, only holding a single table with four chairs, a deck of cards, a dangling lamp and a few maps hanging on the walls. She slowly nudged the door open, cringing at the creak it let out and certain it had to have been heard throughout the entire tower. But, no cries came out, no alarms were raised, nothing. She slowly stepped inside.

CRUNCH!

Her entire body locked up as her face turned pale. She looked down... and let out a sigh of relief at the sight of the now crushed cup. She looked around the floor and cringed. Trash was littered everywhere, in some places so thick she couldn't see the wooden boards under. Though there didn't seem to be any food on the ground.

She slowly snuck through the room, as silent as she could while being mindful of any more traps on the ground. She made it to the stairs with no issue and began to slowly tip-hoof down them, keeping her ears alert for any signs of ponies.

She made it to the next floor and turned to examine it, before letting out a shriek and jumping. Ponies stared at her from across the dark room, watching her, though they didn't move. “I'm sorry I surrender please don't cut off my wings!” The ponies still didn't move and, after a few seconds, she realized they weren't ponies at all. They were ponyquins, propped up against the back wall. Four of them. “Silly Fluttershy,” she whispered to herself. She looked around the room and shivered. The armaments were stored here, a few neatly folded uniforms, a few pieces of armor attached to the ponyquins and large wardrobes where ponies could store their items. She popped the nearest one open and, to her surprise, it was empty. The next had a knife, an opened tile game and a bottle of horn polish. The next made her freeze and stare.

Opened letters were neatly stacked up on the bottom, their seals broken. The seals were all of the Water Nation. She grabbed the top one and dumped the letter out, holding her breath and reading the note quickly.

'Captain Lilyhoof, your requests for reinforcements have been denied. With a standing force of one unicorn, two water benders and one pegasus we have determined that you possess more than enough pony power to control the prisoners at Sunbake Isle. Your orders stand, should any issues occur you are to sweep the earth benders into the lake and send Rosewing to Breachpass tower, to reinforce their forces. If you can no longer contain the situation, you are authorized to eliminate any and all prisoners required until you find the task manageable.

Additionally, requests to move prisoners have been denied. Ration distributions stand at full rations for four soldiers, light rations for sixty-five prisoners.'

Fluttershy gulped and placed the letter back, shaken to the core. There were nowhere near sixty-five ponies on that platform now, barely forty at most. She wondered how many had starved, gotten sick or even fallen to their death. She felt tears welling up in her eyes, though she managed to store the letter without getting it wet, but the tears started to fall as she closed the door. She collapsed on the ground, her entire body shaking and tears cascading down her face. How could they do this? What kind of pony could EVER do this to another of their kind? They were all just... all just... big... meany... heads! For the first time she wished she had access to Rainbow's repertoire of insults!

But, they now had some good news. There were only four of them. They could handle four. Two water benders and one normal unicorn. If they could find out who the water benders were, they could take them. Heck, with a sneak attack, Rainbow, Applejack and Pinkie could probably take them down even if they didn't know. Twilight could keep an eye out for anypony who tried to escape, but that would be it. They could do this. For the first time, she felt a small glimmer of hope and success building inside.

Then she heard the door from a few floors below slam open.

------

Scootaloo stood on the deck of the Darkwing, the wind blowing through her mane. She held her wings up and occasionally closed her eyes. Like this, she almost felt as if she was flying, truly flying. The ship was quite fast for an airship, though most of the fierce winds were natural rather than from their speed. For a moment, she wondered if maybe she could jump off and manage to catch herself before she hit the ground. She'd never tried from this height before.

She spread her wings a little wider and stepped towards the edge, staring down. Below the world looked more like a map than actual land. Swaths of green, blue and brown seemed to form perfect borders with each other, even if the angles were awkward at places. She leaned forward just a little more, before shaking her head and pulling back. She was no fool, and she knew better than to try flying when she knew she couldn't.

She closed her eyes again and tried reaching out with her wings, feeling for those small lines and currents of magic that came natural to most pegasi, but that her wings couldn't touch. She knew they were there and had even seen them once thanks to a spell, but no matter how she tried they seemed to ignore her. Her wings couldn't dip or stroke them, shape them to allow her to soar. Even when she was thousands of hooves in the air, she could only feel the cold wind as it bit into her coat, but not touch the magic that permeated it

“Is everything well, Miss Scootaloo?” A fierce voice asked. She turned to see the captain standing behind her. Grimset was his name, though she didn't see how he had earned it. He was always smiling and looked so happy, with a wide grin aimed at her. The pegasus had a light blue coat and a long purple mane, tied into a thin tail. He was wearing a thick brown jacket and held a cloak across his back. “I've brought you a cloak in case you're cold, miss.”

She smiled and took it, wrapping it around herself and tying it tightly over her chest. It covered her wings as well, but she didn't mind. Not like they were any use. “I'm fine, thank you for the cloak. I just have... a lot on my mind.”

“Oh? Excited about your new position, ma'am?”

“Position?”

“Why, choosing new members of the Shadowbolts. Truly, you must be honored to be allowed such a task. Imagine, the ponies you pick will one day become the greatest pegasi in all the Water Nation. Your hoof will be on all of them, in a way.”

She chuckled and nodded. “I suppose. I truly am honored, of course. Just the height has me in a foul mood...”

“I can take us lower, if you like?”

“No. Please don't,” Scootaloo said instantly, startling herself. It hurt to be up here and yet unable to fly on her own. But... in a way, she felt it would be even worse not to be so high. “I just want to feel the wind on my face a while longer. In a way, it reminds me of home.”

“The south pole?”

Her head jerked up. “What makes you say that?”

Grimset chuckled. “I'm a high ranking official, ma'am. I would have to be to captain this ship. Of course I know that's where the Shadowbolts train.” He paused for a moment before shaking his head. “Though, the exact location I could never say. I'm not quite that high ranking.”

She sighed and nodded. “Well, yes. I suppose it's not as big a secret as we'd have liked.”

“It doesn't matter how well known a location is, if nopony would dare be foolish enough to try to find it,” Grimset said with a smile as he walked besides her. “Most ponies would die even trying to get there, unless in one of our special airships and with ponies who knew the way by heart. The south pole is harsh and unforgiving. Much like our ruler.”

She twitched slightly. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Merely a jest, Lady Scootaloo, I meant no offense.” He bowed his head.

“You'd best pray I don't tell her highness of this 'jest'. You should know better than to mock Nightmare Moon to anypony of the Shadowbolts.”

The color drained from his face and he shook his head. “M-my deepest apologizes. I meant no offense. Truly. Please, let me make it up to you. Would you dine at my table tonight? I have acquired a marvelous delight.”

She sighed and narrowed her eyes. “What?”

“A truly marvelous pie. Apple, though don't let the simplicity deceive you. A few of the prisoners from the Earth Kingdoms have quite the talent for crafting them and many of us officers have had some delivered. Why, I hear even her highness has one with every meal now.” He reached out and took her hoof, pulling it up and placing a kiss against it. “It would be a delight to share it with such a stunning, radiant mare.”

Scootaloo stared for a few moments, before red began to fill her cheeks. Was he flirting with her? She had half a mind to toss him overboard! Granted, he had wings so she knew he'd be fine, but she was sure the gesture would still mean something. She slowly pulled her hoof back and nodded, trying to avoid showing how it flustered her. “I see. Very well, I will be there for lunch. But for now, I want to go rest.” She quickly pulled from him and trotted towards the stairs, forcing herself to maintain a slow, steady pace.

PreviousChapters Next