• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 2,961 Views, 190 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 3: Unicorn - Jeweled Pen



Third book in the MLP Avatar the last airbender saga. Twilight must face off against the seemingly invincible Water Nation, and its ruler Nightmare Moon. Can she harness and use the elements in time to defeat her greatest enemy?

  • ...
10
 190
 2,961

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25: Allegiance

Scootaloo let out a soft groan as she rolled around in her temporary bed. She gently poked at the coils of rope wrapped around her neck, wings and limbs, restricting her movement but still allowing her to move enough to walk and, in this case, roll about. She knew she should be sleeping, but the heat and crowded sleeping arrangements made it difficult, not to mention the wind occasionally throwing sand against the sleeping camp.

The Boiling Rock had fallen, just as Hornclipper had said it would. She wasn't surprised though. Within moments of leaving her room, she knew it would happen. She had been wrong about her initial strategy. They hadn't just made small land bridges.

They'd brought half the rim of the crater, towers and all, down into the boiling lake. It made the lake raise almost to the walls of the prison and forced the pegasi outside to fly to the safety of the roofs, but it allowed the ponies to charge forward with ease. They had all the room they needed to maneuver and block with the stone, if the prison could have mounted an adequate defense.

There were over a dozen earth benders, not quite the threat she'd expected. But then her own Shadowbolts had started turning on them. The traitors had taken them by surprise, capturing much of their force before her remaining even knew what was happening. The only thing that was going to plan were the foals had all escaped into the coolers.

With the fortress falling around her, she'd done the only thing she could do. She called her remaining trainees to her side and surrendered. She'd had no choice, they'd lost. The only other option she had was to hold the foals prisoner, or have them executed. But she couldn't bring herself to give the order. Not to mention she had no idea if it would even be followed by the ponies in the cooler. She idly wondered if that was another reason she'd never be a Shadowbolt.

Righteous Knight had been quite gentle with his captives, all things considered. Those that surrendered were left, to be freed by the Fire Tribe when reinforcements arrived. They were locked in the room with the cooler, where the temperature was fairly mild and they could step into it to gather food. All except her. She was taken captive, bound in such a way she could still move, but would be unable to run.

They'd then headed off into the desert. The heat was horrible, but fortunately they had only traveled the one day by daylight. They had continued traveling long into the night, until even she was so tired she thought her legs would fall off. Her captors then set up huge sand colored tarps for them to rest under, which helped to keep their sleeping area relatively cool. Though having so many ponies laying together in such a small area kept it quite a bit hotter than she was comfortable with. That had been two days ago. They had since traveled by night and slept during the day.

On the upside, the poison had finally left her system.

On the down side, now that she was awake she saw the ponies walking towards her. Righteous Knight. He had a dirty brown coat with red streaks and wore thick earth nation armor that covered the majority of his body, just like she'd expect from an earth bender. He had a cloaked pony on either side. When they came closer, the hoods were lowered and she groaned.

Hornclipper was one of them, the other was a white mare with a light blue mane. “Hello, Lady Scootaloo, was it?” the mare asked.

“You obviously know if you have him with you,” she mumbled before motioning to the pegasus.

“Of course,” the mare said softly. “My name is Coco, and this is the Righteous Knight. We're--”

“Members of the resistance. Please don't treat me like a fool, I know exactly who he is. I've heard your ponies talking.” She glanced down at the ponies close to her. Her own students, ponies who were supposed to be future Shadowbolts. Her commander would have thrown her off the nearest cliff for making such a mistake in her chosen students. “To think, I thought they were my ponies.”

“Would you have rather we let the foals die?” the knight asked.

“There would have never been a risk if you'd just left them be,” Scootaloo muttered. “Now the Water Nation will track you down and every single one of them will be executed.”

“They won't find us,” Coco said with a shake of her head. “None of the soldiers there escaped. It likely took at least a day before any soldiers arrived to check on the prison. From there it'll take a few days before they can put a full force in pursuit. We have ponies in the sky and in the ground. They won't find us.”

Scootaloo shrugged. “You say that, but you don't know how persistent they are. The moment those foals are seen to be missing, they'll gather everything they have and send it flying at you.”

“We have more than a few operatives in the Fire Tribes military,” Hornclipper said slowly, eying her. “It'll take weeks for them to find those they can and get everything moving. Time they don't have. Our escape is guaranteed.”

“Why are you telling me this?” she asked softly, narrowing her eyes.

“We want to ask your help,” Coco said.

“What? NO! Go buck yourself! I wouldn't help you if you were the last ponies on earth!”

“Will you please hear me out?” the mare asked, gently shaking her head.

Scootaloo glowered for a few moments, before lowering her head. Well, what did she have to lose? “Fine...” she grumbled softly. “What do you want from me?”

Coco smiled. “You're a skilled fighter. Hornclipper and quite a few of your students have nothing but praise for how you trained them. More importantly, you protected the foals even when it would have been easier to just let them die. In many ways, the success of our mission was guaranteed because of your actions. If not the success, at least the ease.”

“Joy,” Scootaloo muttered. “I should have just let them die. I never wanted to help you, I wanted to help them.”

“A noble idea,” Coco said with a nod. “We aren't evil monsters. We have no desire to topple your nation and leave it a smoldering pit. All we want, all we've ever wanted, is our home back. We want to protect our children, our loved ones. We want them to grow up in a world devoid of war and fear. Where they don't have to be punished for not being born a water bender. A world where the sun and moon both rise. Is that really such a bad thing?”

Scootaloo hmphed and looked away. “A Shadowbolt would never help members of the resistance.”

“But, you aren't a member of the Shadowbolts, are you? You're just a trainee. Correct?” Coco asked.

The little mare cringed, but slowly nodded.

“Your home has betrayed you. If we return you to where you want to go, Nightmare Moon will kill you. Do you really wish to die?” Coco slowly reached a hoof out to touch the pegasus. “Hornclipper has told us everything. I... know it might seem bad to you. Going against... these ponies. But trust me, it's for the greater good. It's not to attack them, it's so we can defend ourselves.”

“If you really want to stop their bending so much, why not make more blades like his?” She motioned to Hornclipper. “Why not outfit an entire army with them?”

“Those weapons are dangerous and... not to be used lightly. They never wanted to use them to begin with. But to stop the suffering of foals... how could they do anything but their best?” Coco said gently. “He now wears the last pair they'll ever make. Once the blades are destroyed...”

Scootaloo slowly nodded. “What happens when you get this training? Do you take the war to the Water Nation? Try to end this in one fell swoop? Take them over?”

“No,” Coco said softly. She glanced back to the knight, before smiling down at her. “The current Nightmare Moon is... cruel. Evil. We've heard stories of her... wickedness. But we believe the Avatar will stop her. From there, we leave it to her judgment. Perhaps one of her daughters will make a far better ruler. One who values peace over this horrible conflict.” She held out a hoof. “I give my solid vow that none of the ponies you train will be used for anything aside from defending ourselves.”

Scootaloo slowly nodded. Her eyes fell on the students she had already started the training of, before glancing to the foals who now slept peacefully, safe and secure. She took a deep breath before finally glancing up to Hornclipper. His face was a rock, unmoving. “I'll... think about it.”

“That's all we can ask,” Coco said, before turning and walking away with Righteous Knight. Hornclipper watched her for a few moments longer, before following after the two.

The pegasus laid back down, sighing gently. She didn't know what was worse. The fact they expected her to help them, or the fact she was having trouble not agreeing.

------

“That's... that's impossible,” Flowerbloom said softly as she stared at the little baby dragons. She stepped forward, her eyes wide. One of the tenders stepped forward to block her way, but a look from Blood Knight made the pony step aside.

She was soon standing in front of one of the cribs, staring down at one of the babies. It was all red, its entire body smaller than the size of her head. It stared up at her, gently sucking on its tail as it watched her with the cutest, most adorable eyes. “Awwwwwwww. It's so cute! But how?”

“It's time for the return of dragons,” Blood Knight said from her right, making her jump.

“What? But they're extinct! They were wiped out a hundred years ago. Everypony knows that.”

“Most were,” the knight said as he gazed down at the little red baby, who let out a soft fiery burp. “But the eggs remained. The Great Dragon knew where they were. He found them an' protected them. When the time was right, he brought ponies here tah protect them as well. And now... now they're hatchin'.”

“But... that's not...” Flowerbloom stared for a few more moments. “I thought they were extinguished...”

“Fire is life,” one of the tenders suddenly said. “Though it may burn out, from the ashes awake something stronger and more fruitful than before.” The mare gently reached out, giving the baby a small gemstone for it to suckle on. “And from the smallest ember a new blaze can begin.”

Flowerbloom nodded and let out a sigh. She could barely believe the tiny little creature might one day grow up to be as big as Nightmare Moon's castle. A chill ran down her spine. “Oh... b-by the stars. If Nightmare Moon ever finds out about this place...” The ruler would stop at nothing to destroy it. To kill every last dragon and make them truly extinct. Sweetie Belle though... If Sweetie knew, Flowerbloom was certain they'd be safe. Her friend had been changing, a lot, but even as much as she'd changed she could never harm a baby. Even a dragon one.

“She never will,” Blood Knight said harshly.

“We'll never let her,” Rock Knight said from her other side, making Flowerbloom jump.

“W-where did you come from?” the mare asked.

“I've been busy... Boulder was hungry,” she said flatly. She then pointed towards the back of the open area, towards a number of small tunnels. “Mare Do Well will see you now.”

Flowerbloom gulped and looked towards the other prisoners. “W-wouldn't she rather see them first? Eh... heh heh?”

“No,” Rock Knight mumbled.

Flowerbloom sighed and was slowly led through the cavern towards the tunnels. A knight stood on either side of her, keeping a careful eye on her as they walked. She took a deep breath and slowly stood up strong. She was about to die, but she'd face it with dignity. She was a Cherry, after all. Besides, at least she got to see a real dragon before she died. Well, more dragons. That was more than most ponies ever got.

The tunnel they went down was lined with a few torches, making the walk far more pleasant than the last. She still had death waiting for her on the other end, so that made it far from enjoyable. They came to a round room with a stone desk dominating the center, with a chair on their end. There were two ponies in the room. Another earth pony in armor, one with a gray coat.

However, the other pony dominated the room. She was covered, head to hoof, in purple. She even had a giant purple hat on. She wore a big cape that billowed in the wind, even though there was no wind in the cave. The only part of her not purple was her eyes, which were covered with blue cloth. “Mare Do Well, we've brought the prisoner. Flowerbloom.”

The mare turned and gasped. “Yes, this is the Flowerbloom? Indeed! To imagine, we finally have a pony that can help us. Yes!” She said in a very thick accent.

“You're doing it again,” the newest knight mumbled.

“Doing what? Oh! Yes, the magics, must...” She put a hoof to her mouth and coughed a few times. “As I was saying.” The accent completely evaporated. “You, miss Flowerbloom will be of great use to us when we rescue his highness, Emperor Fancy Pants.” She nodded.

“Err, excuse me? Ah never agreed tah help any of yah.”

“Oh, but you will! Yes! I can--” The accent returned for a moment before the mare shook her head. “I mean, you will. I have it from good sources that you were at the fall of Fillydelphia. You would know where the emperor is being held, yes?”

“No,” Flowerbloom mumbled with a shake of her head. “That would be Sweetie's discretion. I'm afraid I can't tell you anything.” She paused for a moment. “Not that I would tell you anything. We're at war and all, you know.”

“Oh...” the mare looked disappointed. “That is much shame. Very well. So you don't have any idea where in the Air Nomad lands he would be hidden?”

She shrugged. Was that really the only reason they dragged her here?

“That brings us to the next order of business.” The accent didn't waver that time as the mare turned those blue covered eyes on her. “Your judgment.”

Flowerbloom gulped nervously. Here it came. Her execution. She suddenly wished she knew where the emperor was being held.

“You are a traitor to our kingdom. Or at least, at first glance it would seem so.” She paused for a moment. “However, you are from the Water Nation, yes?”

She took a deep breath and nodded. “Indeed. Perhaps not born there, but raised. What does that have tah do with anythin'?”

Mare Do Well sighed and moved behind her desk. “I have... heard stories of what it is like in that country. I've even heard a few stories about you, specifically. Not every pony who dons their colors is... as evil as some ponies would like to believe.” She paused for a moment. “So I will hear your story before I pass judgment.”

“Hear mah story?” Flowerbloom asked softly, cocking an eye. “What in tarnation are yah talkin' about?”

“It would be easy to have you imprisoned or executed. Surely that is what the Water Nation would do if the horseshoe was on the opposite hoof.” She glanced down at her desk. “However... not all ponies from there are bad. Some can prove to be valuable allies. Perhaps even you. So, I want to hear your story.”

Flowerbloom stepped forward, nervously. “That's it? Yah... sure yah got time?”

“For now, little mare, time is something I have in abundance. I wouldn't delay, however. There are others with stories to tell as well.”

The earth pony sighed, before glancing back to the knights that were on either side. Not like she could fight them off. Rock Knight alone was more than enough to take her down. She then glanced up at the costumed mare. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. All that was wanted was her story, right? Maybe she'd finally be able to get some answers. Before they buried her in a small grave.

She sat in the chair opposite the desk and leaned against it a bit. “Well... ah don't know everythin' about mah story. Mah pa told me a... buncha things lately. But ah'll try mah best. If ah am gonna start ah... kinda gotta start with why ah came here. Yah see my pa was an officer in...”

------

The night was cold, chilling Scootaloo down to her core. After a day of severe heat and low amounts of sleep, it could almost be comfortable. Except the ropes made each step a struggle and, while her 'students' stood on either side to help her if she fell, she was still developing a rash in places she didn't like. Sweat covered ropes would do that. She was quite certain her wings were getting little sweat-cicles too.

That wasn't the worst of it, though. The worst was what was in her head. Was it possible that she could train these ponies? The more she thought about it, the more she suspected Nightmare Moon had betrayed her. She suspected Hornclipper's testimony about those orders couldn't be fully trusted. But then, would Grimset have been so open about his plans if she hadn't been betrayed? If Grimset had killed her of his own desires, Nightmare Moon would have... the things she would do to the stallion did not bear thinking of. If that was the case, he'd consider him lucky he found death at Hornclipper's blades.

No, the most likely answer was that he had not only permission, but incentive to kill her. If that was the case, it made things even worse. She'd seen how Sweetie had been. How much colder she'd become. Many times she felt she and Flowerbloom were the only thing keeping the mare from falling off the edge and going someplace they couldn't follow.

If Nightmare Moon was trying to get rid of her, could she possibly be trying to get rid of Flowerbloom next? Possibly even Rarity? Perhaps she was just being paranoid, but the thought sent a chill through her that had nothing to do with the cold night.

She took a deep breath of the night air, letting it fill her lungs. It was possible that Nightmare Moon had betrayed her. Had tried to kill her. No, not just possible. Likely. Given such a situation, there was only one thing she could do, while maintaining her loyalties. Flight or no, she was still a Shadowbolt. Her loyalties would always be to Nightmare Moon and the Water Nation.

In this case, it would just be the future Nightmare Moon. She turned to her right. “I... I wish to talk to this Righteous Knight,” she told her keepers. “Tell him... I've decided to accept his offer.”

The pegasus smiled before nodding. With a flap of his wings he took off, leaving her behind. She watched the pony go and let out a soft sigh. Well, she'd gone and made her bed. She just hoped she'd be able to not only sleep in it, but use it to keep Sweetie safe. Possibly from her own mother.

Author's Note:

Okay everyone, there will be a brief hiatus as I work on a few side things, then this story will return with the Summer Sun Celebration. Woo! I was actually surprised this wrapped up so quickly, I thought this chapter would end up being far larger. Hope you all enjoyed.

PreviousChapters Next