• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 5,270 Views, 138 Comments

I don't belong here - Clawder



Spike has never been alone, and even in the moment he was born he had Twilight... but that will not last forever, dragons have an extremely large lifespan, while ponies don't.

  • ...
12
 138
 5,270

Reunion

Nopony remembered Twilight yelling like that. Or at least yelling like that at them. Rarity thought it would be a good idea to calm her down by letting her know the recent events “So, should we tell her what happened or...”

“Not right now,” Celestia knew very well that feeling of frustration after a long day of work. Or adventure in this case “Let Princess Twilight rest, she'll come out when she's ready.”

“Well, One down, one to go,” Applejack announced, adjusting her stetson “Let's get to it! Spike's still missing!”

Unfortunately for Applejack, she was the only one willing to keep going, and Fluttershy was the first one to express it “But it's getting late! and I haven't fed the critters...”

“I also have to check on Pound and Pumpkin,” Pinkie agreed.

“I believe we all should rest as well. Soon, I will lower the sun, and it seems your friends have things to do.”

“We can't just leave it like that! What if Spike doesn't have food? Or where will he sleep fer that matter?”

“Applejack, we are all as concerned for Spike just as you are,” Rarity approached her and leaned a hoof on her shoulder “But it's not like he had any problem surviving in the wilds all this time by himself; I'm sure he can do it for one more night without a problem.”

“Guess you're right...” she admitted “But we ain't finished! We'll keep it up tomorrow morning.”

Celestia watched them all depart in different directions That should do for today. her horn lit up, and the sun slowly made it's way to the other side of the planet.
When she was done, the princess looked at her surroundings I feel like I'm missing something... she advanced towards Ponyville trying to remember whatever she forgot. Then it hit her Oh, right...

Ponyville's only hotel was almost always lonely. Even though it was a very nice and calm place to live at (most of the time), It didn't have many visitors. Ponies from all of Equestria prefered popular or extense places like Canterlot or Manehattan; And the clerk who worked there didn't complaint about it. It wasn't his business to know if it was profitable to have a hotel there, he was just the employee, so he often thought Hey, I'm getting paid for literally sitting and doing nothing? Awesome! Today, though, his skills were to put to the test.

The door bell rang. As fast as his hooves allowed him, he threw away the old newspaper he was reading and positioned himself in a 'professional' stance “Welcome to Ponyville's cozy...!”
Celestia smirked to herself and waited for the clerk to finish the sentence, but he didn't. Instead he jumped to the other side of the counter, landing a few feet in front of Celestia and vowed “P-Princess Celestia! What are you doing here?! N-not like I don't want you to be here it's such a great honor to have you here but I just can't understand this!” he slowly lift his head “Are you here to close this place down? If that's the case let me tell you in advance we do not have rat trouble in here!”

“Rise, my little pony,” she said calmly “I'm not here to close down the hotel.”

The clerk sighed and obeyed “Then, what bring the most benevolent and graceful Princess of all to this humble dwelling?”

Celestia was slightly taken back by the sudden flattery, smiling nonetheless “I wish to rent a room.”

That made it. The clerk's heart was beating very fast. He didn't know if this was extremely perfect or if he should be scared about this pony being an impostor. Either way, he stood still for a whole minute.
When he returned to the reality of the situation, he noticed the princess's expecting expression “R-right! A room! Of course, Princess. I'll give you the finest we have.”

Like that, the most powerful ruler of Equestria, settled down for a night in the rustic Ponyville hotel. The place had no rats, and it was certainly taken care of, so she couldn't complaint.
The clerk... Well, he couldn't be happier. He had always admired the princess, and adored the look of that flowing, bright mane. If there was a pony he ever wanted to get close to, it was her. He even thought about asking her to stay one more night there; even if he was below her room, waiting in the boring counter.
Asking the Princess out? That would be asking for ten years in a dungeon. Nothing more than that could ever happen. He was just one more subject after all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spike waited for the others to leave so he could say hello to his closest friend.
In order to avoid unwanted attention, he climbed the crystal walls all the way to Twilight's room. It was hard to get the right grip in some points, but nothing his claws couldn't handle.
At the balcony, he peeked trough the window, and saw the alicorn deep asleep.
He hesitated a few moments before entering, taking slow steps towards her. Spike could also see Philomena in the room, resting on a rack. What is Philomena doing here? His eyes drifted back to Twilight and he stood in front of her Doesn't matter right now.

“Hey Twi',” Spike didn't mind if she woke up, that way he could properly talk with her, but she looked so peaceful that he decided not to be loud “I'm back.”

Twilight stirred a little and mumbled.

“You know, just now I've realized I caused you all more trouble than I imagined. I'm sorry.” then, Spike leaned and kissed Twilight's cheek “Thank you for everything you've done for me.”

It was obvious Twilight was not conscious of his presence, and yet, she smiled at the kiss.

Then, Spike came to a realization and blushed. He had climbed all the way to her window, talked to her nicely as she slept and even kissed her. The scene reminded him of one of those stories for foals where a knight had to save a princess from a menacing dragon. Only this time, a royal knight would be guarding the princess from the dragon.
He chuckled and scratched the back of his neck.

“It could make good material for a story,” he thought aloud.

Seeing Twilight still lost in her dreams, Spike silently made way to his room.
He opened the door and saw it spectacularly neat. Every comic ordered alphabetically, his bed in order, basically a room only Twilight would organize.
It was all impeccable, but a layer of dust was present too. There was a lack of life in the room, and now it was up to Spike to bring it to it.
His body no longer made the bed look unnecessarily huge anymore, it was actually accurate to his size now. He was big, but he was still a baby dragon. Then again, he would be a baby dragon for like two hundred years more, so it didn't actually matter. Spike lay on the bed and wrapped himself with it's blankets, ready to enjoy the commodity of a real bed since the last month.

Right before drifting to a good sleep, Spike opened his eyes instantly. There was something wrong.
He threw away the covers and took a look at himself, analyzing his claws and feet. There was no physical change but there was something inside him warning about a possible shrink.

“Oh, not right now...” he panicked. Maybe if I take a look at my stuff and hug it or something it'll go away...
It was no use though, he needed something new, something to add to his collection.
He left the comics sprawled on the floor and ran to the castle's entrance. The gates creaked somewhat loudly when Spike opened them, and he winced when he heard it. Keep quiet, you two! he hoped Twilight wouldn't wake up with the noise.
Thinking about an easy target, the dragon gave quick glances to the buildings of Ponyville.
Ponies were supposed to be sleeping right now, so there was little problem to walk around.
Breaking into somepony's place was an option immediately discarded. Fruit stands would've been ideal in this situation but there were obviously none.

Flowerpots? Could be... Not like they're very important anyway. Sure enough, there were lots of flowerpots all over Poniville's residences; Spike made a safe call either way. There was a place where they wold never notice a theft: Roseluck's garden. It was filled with different flowers, and it didn't seem to have a pattern. It was as if there were put at random there.
Spike took one of the many flowerpots stacked aside the garden and filled it with dirt, then he took two flowers and almost carelessly planted them in the pot.

While returning to the palace, Spike caressed his new acquisition and grinned, feeling 'the warning' wear away “Much better.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight woke up with a lot of energy. She had never slept this much, all afternoon and night long.
She got up, looking around; Philomena was awake, staring at her.

“Good morning, Philomena,” she said.

In response, the bird extended a wing and made a quick reverence.
Twilight grasped a brush with her magic and began to comb her mane. Morning rituals were important for Twilight no matter how distressed or hurried she was. Everything had to be done in order, step by step. There would be time to catch up with the news as well as the correspondent 'hello's' later, right now, she wanted breakfast.
Philomena flapped her wings a couple of times, hovering to land in Twilight's back, who didn't mind the phoenix.
The princess got out of her bedroom and noticed the opened door of Spike's room.

“What?” incredulous, she stepped in front of it and pushed the door to open it wider.
The bed was made, but it certainly wasn't how she left it. By it's side, there were a book and a comic, both with bookmarks and neatly placed.

“Spike?” her tone was so low, it was like a whisper “Spike! Are you there?!” she yelled.

Then, there was the confirmation, she could smell something roasting in the kitchen, something being roasted by that unmistakable fire.
Twilight rushed downstairs, almost making Philomena fall off. And stopped when she saw a not-so-familiar dragon.
“Spike...” she took a few steps forward “It's you,” her words could've been mistaken by a question because of the tone she put in them. She knew it was Spike, for sure, but she was still taken back by his appearance.

Said dragon turned around, holding a frying pan “Good morning Twilight,” he smiled.

Both of them wasted no time in getting close and wrap each other in a hug. Philomena had to fly off to give them space, and Spike was careful not to burn his friend with the pan.

After they broke the hug, Twilight began to speak with teary eyes “Where have you been?! We were all worried..: I was worried sick for you!”

“I know you were, and believe me, I'll tell you everything!” Well... Most of it anyway... “The most important thing you have to know is that I won't leave you or the others again.”

She hugged Spike again as she kept talking “Spike, it wasn't long, it was only a month! And yet I got mad at you for leaving like that, worried for whatever could happen to you!” she paused and tilted her head to look him in the eye “But over all, I felt guilty, I thought I probably did something awful to you and didn't even realized it.” a single tear slipped through her cheek “Did I, Spike? Did I do something wrong?”

There was a lot of pain in Twilight's eyes, and Spike couldn't stand it. He knew why he kept this a secret, how could he tell her he was stealing so those around him stop treating him like a child? Or that small talk he had with Celestia?
Now that he looked back, it all seemed like a lame excuse. Tartarus, it probably was.
No adventure or self-discovery quest could be worth the suffering of his most trusted friend.

“N-no Twilight,” he said with a quivering voice “It was me, I did many things wrong.”

“I... What? What do you mean?”

“This, the way you're feeling right now is my fault. As well as the horrible things you probably went through this last month.” he broke this second hug and held her left hoof with both of his claws “I promise I will never make you suffer like that again. I promise.”

After sharing a few sobs, the princess and her former assistant could share breakfast, where Spike listened carefully to Twilight's journey to the volcano, including the tale on how she had to rescue Philomena from Besayu's mouth. Bad memories for the three of them.

At Twelve o' clock, there was a knock on the gates and a new, lively Twilight answered. She expected to find her friends, after all, they missed her and she missed them.
Sure enough, they were the five of them and Princess Celestia.

“Good morning girls!” she cheered. Then turned to Celestia “Good morning, Celestia.”

“Wow,”Applejack declared at the strange behavior “I knew it was refreshing to take a long nap after a long day's work but, I certainly didn't expect that.”

“Come on in! Theres so much to catch up with!” Twilight trotted back inside, leaving the other ponies behind.

Rainbow Dash hovered, probably being the most confused of the group “Ok, two options” she began “Either you guys didn't tell me the whole thing or she's gone full insane.”

“I hope it's neither,” Rarity commented as they entered the palace “Spike's absence must have been especially hard for her.”

Everypony arrived to the throne room, where Twilight was waiting for them, but they didn't take a seat.

Fluttershy approached to the center, hesitant of what to say “Twilight? It's good to see you like this, but don't you think you should be more concerned and go out to find Spike?”

“Oh, girls,”she answered in an almost mocking tone “Spike is already here! He came here during the night!”

Rarity, Fluttershy and Celestia exchanged looks while the rest were beaming, happy to hear that.

“Darling, can I have a word?” Rarity feared she wouldn't be able to tell them about Spike's 'troubles' before things got complicated. A fear which became a reality.

“Yes, just a minute though, Spike wanted to talk to us,” she stepped aside to let him enter the room. Spike was carrying the items he stole.

What? Is he going to turn himself in? Fluttershy thought.

“Whoa! What happened to you?!” Rainbow circled Spike, trying to accept the fact that this... Guy... Was the small and fragile dragon she knew.
Actually, everypony was impressed, even the three who knew Spike would be larger. Seeing the change face to face was certainly impressive.

After the greetings finished, Spike could finally put the objects on the central table “I brought a few things for you, kind of a way to say I'm sorry.”

Those were for us? Rarity had believed this was a new hoard for Spike, but it was actually a gift for them. An act of... Generosity.
Unfortunately, this generosity was wrongfully earned, a lie to say the least.

She was lost in thought until she heard her name.

“Rarity? Are you still mad at me?”

She shook her head and looked at the sapphire Spike was holding. For a moment, she forgot it was stolen and fought the urge to squeal like Rainbow was for her new silver statue.

“No no no, I'm just flattered for this detail of yours,” she outlined a smile and took the sapphire “Thank you.”

When Fluttershy's turn arrived, she was nervous to take the gift “I-Ummmm,” she looked around, diverting her gaze “S-sorry Spike, I can't take it.”

“What? Why not? Let me make it up to you! It's the less I can do for causing so much trouble.”

Rarity made a gesture behind Spike, indicating Fluttershy to take it anyway. They both knew the stuff was stolen but to say it right away would be troublesome and embarrassing for everyone.

“Well I... I guess it's okay...” she the lamp with her hooves and smiled.

“Sorry I didn't bring anything for you, Princess,” he addressed Celestia “Didn't know you were coming,” he shot her a glare of suspicion.

“Not a problem, Spike, your well-being is a gift itself,” she meant those words, though Spike couldn't tell if they were genuine or it was just another act.

“Well, let's begin, shall we? I guess you all want to know why I left like I did. I'm going to explain it as best as I can.” This will not be easy. Spike didn't want to tell everything, nor lie to his friends. He knew lies were always uncovered with time, and they would only fracture their already damaged friendship.

“If it's alright with you,” Celestia intervened “I have some explanations to give myself. Would you mind if I start this session, Spike?”

Well, the talk we had wasn't that much of a secret, it might do no harm “No, it's okay, you can begin.”

The ponies took their seats in their correspondent throne, safe for Rainbow Dash, who offered her seat to Celestia to stay in the air. Spike sat next to Twilight, at the empty side of her throne.

Even if some were more informed than others, there would still be versions to hear, secrets to unveil, but most important to Spike, secrets to keep safe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same morning, Roseluck was gardening as usual, and noticed two of her flowers were missing. As the professional she was, there was an 'order in her disorder' which only she kept track of and understood.
She was looking for any evidence that could incriminate one of the towns folk's critters. Some rabbits had previously raided her garden and it certainly wouldn't be the last time. But there were no crumbs, or footprints, or hoofprints. Just a wild slash marked in the earth.

“Hmmmm, strange.”

Author's Note:

So, I've been using the term 'palace' and 'castle' alike to describe the... Ummm... Home, of Twilight. The difference between those terms is that a palace is only intended to look good or luxurious, while a castle is intended for war purposes. To withstand sieges and the like.
I think we can all agree that what Twilight has is a palace because it just looks nice and that's it. But since the canon calls it castle, I'll be using both words.