• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 5,270 Views, 138 Comments

I don't belong here - Clawder



Spike has never been alone, and even in the moment he was born he had Twilight... but that will not last forever, dragons have an extremely large lifespan, while ponies don't.

  • ...
12
 138
 5,270

Letters, Reports and Misconceptions

Dear Fluttershy:

I am writing to let you know the news; first off, we found Spike! But unfortunately, he ran away before I could talk with him.
Princess Celestia sent an escort to watch and keep track of him while we figure out the reason why he decided to leave.
We believe it is not necessary for you to stay in Manehattan as long as we expected since it looks like Spike is traveling from a place to another. No need to hurry though, it will also take time before we can speak with him, so if you feel like enjoying the wonders of Manehattan for a little longer, it is completely alright.

Your friend, Rarity.

Rarity gave her final signature and sealed the letter, putting it aside to begin a new one.

Dear Princess Twilight:

I just can’t imagine what you’re going through in that dreadful place, but we have good news; Spike was here at Canterlot today and Princess Celestia sent an escort so we don’t lose him again.
Please return as soon as you receive this letter, we don’t want you to risk yourself any longer. We will explain the details of what happen when you get here.

Your friend, Rarity.

She sealed the second letter and took both with her.
Rarity stepped inside the throne room, where Celestia and Luna were waiting.

“Are you done?” asked Luna.

“Y-yes, I think so,” Rarity trotted towards them and hesitantly lifted the letters with her magic so the princesses could grab them with their own.

“Anything wrong, my little pony? You look doubtful,” said Celestia with a warm tone.

“I don’t know, the letters are… Kind of short… Empty. But at the same time, nothing comes to my mind to improve them, to express my worry for Spike,” she looked down at the floor, occasionally tapping it with a hoof. Rarity felt powerless over the whole situation.

“I’m sure they know you’re worried; but you shouldn’t be, after all, Spike still cares about all of you as well, and he wouldn’t do anything to harm you.”

“How do you know, Princess? What if he ran away because he got tired of our company? Or our friendship?”

Celestia and Luna shared a quick glance at each other. They both knew what Spike wanted, and they knew he cared about his friends.
They could tell Rarity and the others what Spike was up to, but they had promised to keep it secret for him.
What was better though? To break the promise they made to one subject, or betray the confidence of another six?

“Miss Rarity,” Luna began “There’s something you should know.”

Rarity raised her head, unsure if that sentence meant what she thought.

“Luna, I don’t think-”

“They have to know, eventually, they would’ve found out.”

Celestia sighed and looked away.

“Found out about what?” Rarity increased her tone.

Luna whistled a short melody and a bat of the size of Opal flew through one of the windows, then it landed aside of Luna “It will be better if we tell you when Princess Twilight is also here.” she said as she attached the letter destined for Fluttershy to the bat’s leg.

“Do you know why Spike left?!” demanded Rarity.

“Indeed,” Luna answered a little careless of Rarity’s shock. Who gritted her teeth in response.

“Now Luna, be more polite. And please Rarity, calm down. While it is true that we know something about Spike that you don’t,” Celestia paused and turn to stare at her sister “We can’t jump to any conclusion and be sure about the reason he left.”

“I still want to know what you are hiding! What is it about?! We could’ve used any information to know what we should’ve done!” Rarity stomped one of her forehooves, making Luna turn to see her.
The princess rose and sent the bat in his way to deliver the letter. With slow, firm steps, she descended to the lowest level of the stairs to face Rarity, who backed down a couple of steps.

“You have no right to yell at us in such manner, lady; we appreciate your friendship but do not exaggerate your position.”

At this, Celestia also rose and stepped between Rarity and her sister “Luna! Don’t threaten your subjects like that!”

“It was a warning, not a threat.”

Rarity stared blankly at Luna. She agreed with her that it was disrespectful to yell at royalty the way she did “I’m sorry Princess,” Rarity said as she vowed “It won’t happen again.”

Luna gave a nod and returned to her sit, followed by Celestia.

“Please don’t worry, Rarity. We will tell you what we know when Princess Twilight arrives,” Celestia whistled a similar melody of Luna’s and Philomena appeared.

“Thank you, Princesses, I think I’ll just go out and get some fresh air,” Rarity was getting somewhat depressed, and it showed.

“Relax as much as you need, we’ll call you when Twilight arrives,” Celestia concluded.
When Rarity got out of the room, the royal sisters shared a glance again and, for a minute, they didn’t speak until Celestia decided to break the silence “What was that about?”

Luna rolled her eyes and met her sisters’ gaze “What do you mean?” she said with an annoyed tone.

“You know what I mean, sister, you acted like you didn’t care at all for what she felt.”

“Well, I didn’t.”

“Luna! How can you say that? You have to care for your subjects.”

“I do, but this case is different.”

“Different how?”

“It’s just that lady Rarity doesn’t seem to understand she is in no place to demand anything. Spike left because he didn’t feel right around them, he didn’t feel accepted; and now, without even trying to find out why, she and the others try to get him back no matter what he feels.”

“Sister, you are misunderstanding many things. For what I heard from Spike, he wanted to have a purpose, a purpose away from his kind. He didn’t mention anything about feeling rejected… At least to me.”

“Whatever, the fact is that they don’t really see what he wants.”

“And you do?” Luna shrugged at the question and remained quiet “Listen, I don’t know why you’re so upset, Luna, but that’s no reason to be rude. Just remember dear sister, that you owe those six your freedom.”

Luna stared at no specific direction just wandering in her thoughts. Then she decided to revel what was on her mind “You know, I’m not really mad at them.”

Celestia looked at her sister, and then showed her a smile, expressing she wanted to listen.

“It’s just her.”

“Rarity?”

“Yes, well… You asked if I know what was on Spike’s mind.”

“And…”

“Before he left, he admitted he liked that mare. Not like I have something against it but she’s one of the reasons he left.”

“That doesn’t explain why you’re mad at her.”

“I believe she already knows that, and still, she wants to hurry and talk to him instead of taking her time to think about the situation and what Spike wants.”

“Give it time Luna, you don’t have to take other’s problems with you. These tough times will pass.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy hadn’t gotten out of her hotel room many times and, when she did, she tried to sneak around so she could avoid attention; often using disguises like lame glasses or hats to hide.
When she received Rarity’s letter, she felt relieved and finally free from the tartarus Manehattan was.
She left out a “YES!” of relieve as she took a blank sheet from the desk in her room, to write a letter as well.

Dear Rarity:

That’s wonderful news! I can’t wait to go to Canterlot to know more about what happened, and don’t worry about my stay in Manehattan, I’d really really like to leave as soon as possible. (I will explain later)
I’m on my way. Thanks again for the news!

Your friend, Fluttershy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight had just beaten Besayu when Philomena was two days away with the letter. Two days she would spend in completely unnecessary risk and search.
During that time, she was in constant threat. Many dragons had their eyes on her, but not in the nice way. They wanted the slightest opportunity to launch and eat her or just cook her with their flames.
Some dragons held the temptation by thinking about the way she fought last time, others because of Besayu’s threat, and others did attack her a couple of times. Only to fail miserably, being shoved off by her protector or Twilight herself.

“We could call it a day if you like,” said Besayu, seeing Twilight’s clumsy steps and tired visage.

She shook her head “No, we still have some light, just a couple more hours.”

You don’t have a couple more hours Besayu thought “Look I know you’re worried but it will be unwise to keep going like this.”

“What do you mean ‘like this’?”

“Fatigued, restless, tired, magic-drained, hungry-”

“Alright, alright, you know what? You can return if you want, I’ll keep going and try to find him,” she began to move again.

Besayu sighed and followed. By this time, most dragons were already napping or trying to sleep, as most of them were very lazy.
A few stars began to appear in the sky, matching the sunset. There breeze was calm and the weather perfect for a night.
As the moon began to rise, so did a shining dot in the distance, contrasting with the moon’s glow.

Besayu yawned and sat down Maybe I should get back… Not like anyone will bother her when she returns, right? “It’s getting late, I’ll go back to the lair,” he yawned again.

Twilight nodded.

“You should get back too,” he suggested.

“It’s not that late yet, besides, I’m used to stay awake, reading or researching.”

“It doesn’t matter what time is it, you need to watch where you’re going,” he paused and tried to figure out how to convince her. No idea came to mind “Have it your way then. Try to stay alive.”

Besayu turned around and saw the moon rising, along with an unusual bright shine in the middle of it.
“What’s that?” he peeked at his back, expecting an answer from Twilight; who didn’t hear him and was getting away. “Hmmmm, whatever,”
Besayu walked in straight line to his lair, and as time went by, the shine became clearer. “Is that…” he rubbed his eyes, then adjusted his vision at the light “A phoenix!” he exclaimed “It’s been ages since I ate a phoenix…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along the week, princess Celestia received reports of what the lookout could see Spike doing. And she shared them with Rarity and Fluttershy.
What they knew is that he had stayed most of the time in that nameless town just socializing.
Maybe he did want a break from us Rarity thought after listening to the first report.
The others revealed that he had suddenly grown a few more inches than a regular pony from a day to another.

Princess Celestia cleared her throat to read the last report that had arrived. The only audience in the throne room was Luna, Rarity, Fluttershy, and four guards who guarded the gates.

“Your majesty:
We have spotted the dragon Spike sleeping in the forest near the village instead of in the peasant’s house for reasons we don’t understand. He hasn’t grown anymore since the last report and it seems he’s moving on. He’s also carrying a bunch of random objects we believe were gifts from the ponies he met.
We are sorry for not being of optimal service but there’s not too much we can do by only watching with binoculars where he goes. If you wish so, we could take action and try to cease him or interrogate the villagers-”

“NO! They can’t do that!” Rarity interrupted.

“Fret nothing, Rarity, I will not give such an order. May I proceed?”

“Y-yes, of course Princess, sorry.”

Luna frowned at Rarity You still can’t avoid it, can you? she thought.

Celestia continued to read “If you wish so, we could take action and try to cease him or interrogate the villagers in order to give you a detailed explanation of what is happening there.
Always at your service, Captain Golden Spear.”

“Is that it?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m afraid it is,” answered Celestia.

“Ugh! This is taking a lot of time and the only thing we know is that he grew because some reason and he is leaving to get somewhere else!” Rarity scowled.

“Rarity… Not so loud…” Fluttershy whispered.

“Right now we need to wait until Princess Twilight arrives. If Philomena is as fast as usual, she should get the letter today,” Celestia assured.

“And what about Spike? Do we wait until he wants to speak with us?”

“The best course of action is to know where Spike is going and why. I will tell my guards to ask politely for information about it. Once we have that, maybe it will be time for you to approach and ask him what is in his mind yourselves.”

Rarity and Fluttershy looked at each other and smiled. Maybe they would speak with Spike soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golden Spear raised a hoof to let a messenger eagle rest on it; he then took the order attached to its back with his mouth and gave the bird to another guard.
After reading the paper, he folded it and called out loud for the others “MEN! We have a new mission from the Princess!”

The other four ponies rose and trotted at the captain to listen.

“We will ask the ponies in the village for any hint of where the dragon was heading and if we can, keep following him.”

“What?! Keep following him?! It’s nice to travel or leaving the castle now and then but we’re running out of provisions!” One guard complained.

“Yeah, and it hasn’t been what you could call the most pleasant nights if you ask me. We can’t build campfires because he ‘might notice us’,” supported another.

“What are you all? Foals?! We’re aside the river and there are bushes as far as the eye can see! So don’t complaint about provisions! Besides, we have tents, that’s all we need to stay warm at night, move your flanks soldiers!”

Command given, the guards packed their armor, tents and souvenirs to continue their mission.
It didn’t take them long to arrive to the village, and they were greeted with stares of confusion and concern.
When the royal escort got to the center of the main square, many ponies thought this had to do with the dragon. Never before had they been visited by royalty.
Everypony gathered to know what had brought guardsmen there. Was someone visiting? Were they looking for recruits? Were they here because of the dragon?
They couldn’t tell and nopony dared to ask.

“Ummm, Captain… I feel like they’re going to throw rocks or pitchforks at us at any moment,” whispered Flash to Golden Spear’s ear.

“Keep calm private, I will handle this,” Golden took four steps forward and cleared his throat “Citizens of Equestria,” he began, earning their attention “We are here on royal business to accomplish a mission from your majesty, Princess Celestia.”
Some in the crowd muttered, unsure if this was good news, bad news or neither.
“During the last week, you were visited by a young dragon, which turns out to be the assistant of Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

“Princess who?”
“We have another?”
“Oh, the new Princess.”
“Is that her sister’s name?”
“No, that's Luna you're talking about.”

It was clear that the place was isolated but this was almost ridiculous. Only a number of citizens were updated to everyday news.

“Nevermind,” Golden said to gain attention again “We need to find him in order to bring him back home. Did he ever tell you where he was heading?”

Code and Merry emerged from the crowd, staring indignant to the captain.
“He’s already heading home; he doesn’t need some Princess’ cops to watch over him!” said Code with confidence.
“Yeah, besides, you shouldn’t be chasing him if he decided to leave! That ‘Princess Twilight’ should’ve done something terrible to the poor dragon that he decided to leave!”

“How dare you insult a Princess?!” challenged one of the guards.

“Stand back, soldier, we don’t want to have problems here,” Golden intervened.

“Does the reason why he left actually matter?” The crowd and the guards turned to see the red unicorn who spoke “He’s a thief! An outcast! And has to be brought to justice!”

“You again, Collector?” Code rolled his eyes “You had done nothing but spread lies about the little dragon since came.”

“But this is true! He stole from my shop! One day, he came looking for some of antiques and today morning, while I was checking inventory, those were the only missing!” He stomped the ground furiously.

“He would never do that!” replied Merry.

Golden listened to their argument, realizing he had seen Spike with some items before. He entered the conversation so he could get to the bottom of this “Sir, could you please describe the objects you claim the dragon stole?” before Collector could respond, Golden made a signal and Flash brought him a notepad.

“Well, there was a pyramid, a big tome, a cowboy hat, a silver statue, a lamp in form of a butterfly, and a sapphire.”

Golden listened as he read the items written in the notepad. He then glanced between the couple and Collector “I’m very sorry to inform you, madam, sir, that what he claims is true. We have kept our distance from the dragon and observed him. The items the unicorn just mentioned are the ones the dragon had before he departed.”

Merry and Code couldn’t believe it, it was impossible that the nice, baby dragon they had sheltered and fed had done something like that “Bu-but he never did anything to us, he never stole from us!”

“Believe me, madam, the recent actions of the Princess’ assistant are a complete mystery, even for her. And since you were so eager to help him, I can’t help but remember you just said he was ‘already heading home’.”

Code bit his lip “Yes… He told us so.”

“And where is ‘home’ exactly?” insisted Golden.

“…”
“We…We…”

“Sir, miss, I understand your concern, but you’ll have to cooperate If you don’t want to become partners in crime with the suspect.”

Suspect! They now call him suspect! What a- “Ponyville” Code’s words cut off Merry’s train of thought.

“Thank you, sir, we will be out of your mane from now on. MEN! Let’s return to Canterlot!” Golden turned around and trotted uphill, followed by the other guards.

Merry stood still, trying to article a sentence while the others dissipated. Soon, there was no one but Code and her, standing in the square.
“Why… Why did you-”

“You heard them, dear,” he embraced Merry in a tight hug, feeling her tears slide down in his chest “Who knows? Maybe he was never the innocent little dragon we believed he was.”
The two of them shared a moment in each other’s embrace to remember the few days they spent with Spike. There had to be a detail they were missing; maybe he had stolen from Collector, but there was good in his eyes. He was definitely not evil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rarity and Fluttershy entered the throne room once again, where Celestia was waiting with a message grasped with her magic. They vowed before the princess.

“Did you call, Princess?” asked Rarity.

When they rose, Fluttershy saw the paper “Oh! Is it more news from Spike?”

Celestia nodded with an unhappy look on her face.

“Is it… Something bad?” asked Rarity.

“I admit this is not something that will be pleasant to hear,” Celestia closed her eyes.

The friends shrugged and a shiver ran through them. The last thing they needed was more bad news.
Without delay, Celestia began to read the report:
“Your majesty:
The citizens assured us that Spike the dragon is heading to Ponyville-”
Rarity’s and Fluttershy’s eyes widened at that, that was a good first impression, but the report was supposed to show bad news, so they didn’t rise their hopes too high.
“-so we have decided we should return to Canterlot and let the pertinent authorities of Ponyville take care of him. This decision was also made because the team in general is tired of camping and traveling like nomads (their words) I hope we took the right decision.
That said, there was a theft in the village, performed by Spike himself. The store’s owner wants his items returned and that Spike is ‘brought to justice’ by your judgement.”

The listeners didn’t believed it either. After what happened in Ponyville he wouldn’t do such thing! thought Rarity.

“Oh goodness! He stole? Poor Spike must be under a lot of pressure,” Fluttershy tried to soften the hit.

“Either way, I can’t allow this kind of actions as a ruler. I need you get back to Ponyville and talk with Spike. If he is going back there, it’s because he’s ready to speak to all of his friends again. And I trust that Twilight will do the right judgment; Ponyville is her kingdom after all.”

“Agreed Princess… But… Speaking of Twilight, shouldn’t she have teleported back by now?” Rarity questioned.

“That’s true, she was supposed to return yesterday if everything went alright,” added Fluttershy.

“Well, I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about. Maybe Philomena is taking longer rests or Twilight was farther than we thought,” Celestia gave them a warm smile “She will be back soon.”