• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 5,270 Views, 138 Comments

I don't belong here - Clawder



Spike has never been alone, and even in the moment he was born he had Twilight... but that will not last forever, dragons have an extremely large lifespan, while ponies don't.

  • ...
12
 138
 5,270

A bit of tranquility...

The sun shone with great splendor over the pasture where Discord and Spike walked; accompanied by a light breeze which soothed the heat. There were also trees spread all over the place, providing a welcoming shade now and then.
In short, the climate was perfect… Something that Discord didn't like.

“The environment needs a little change, don't you think?”

“What do you mean? It's perfect right now.”

“Exactly!” he exclaimed, closing his lion paw and striking his palm.

Spike shrugged “Do as you wish. I'm not sure I'd even mind.”

Discord laughed “Ohjojo! Trust me,” he ducked in a split second at Spike's height and glared at him with a psychopath expression “You would.”

Spike took a couple of steps back and gulped “Okay, okay, no need to get serious.”

“Serious?” he laughed again “I'm not being serious! Just assertive.”

Spike shook his head and kept walking “Haven't you considered that reformed or not, your powers are still dangerous? And that maybe it's not about how you use them?”

“What do you mean? Of course I know that!” Drops of water began to form in the ground and ascend to the clouds “Look at this, I manipulate chaos, the most powerful magic of all-”

“I thought it was friendship,” Spike pointed out.

The water fell to the ground and dissipated “… Will you let me finish?” he cleared his throat “One of the most powerful kinds of magic of all,” he snapped his fingers and a huge fire engulfed a tree beside them “It isn't supposed to aid. It isn't supposed to do what it should,” another snap and the fire was gone; revealing a completely frozen tree “And overall, it isn't supposed to be helpful,” the sky was then tainted black, making it look like nighttime without stars. Many animals flew and ran around at that moment to look for shelter. And an entire flock flew over the duo to hide under the canopy of a nearby forest.

Spike watched the display in awe at the amount of things the spirit of chaos could pull off, unsure about the lesson behind it.

“Yet, here I am. Learning about friendship in the colorful land of ponies who seek to preserve harmony: Which is my complete opposite,” with a sigh of Discord, the sky returned to normal and the animals got out of their respective lairs as if it had all been a false alarm.

Once again, the pasture was tranquil.

“Wow, it sounds very tough to hold all of that power back.”

“But you know your fair share about hidden potential, don't you?”

A chill ran through Spike's spine “Well, I wouldn't call a big, mean and brute dragon to be ‘potential'.”

“Is that right?” Discord lifted the dragon by the tail “What can a small hatchling like you do to help those around him?”

“Hey! Let go!” Spike complained.
Unfortunately for him, Discord obeyed; making Spike land headfirst in the hard surface “Ouch,” he said, more annoyed than hurt.

“Take for example my power. I can easily distort reality and create conflict everywhere,” the image of a crumbling city shone in his eyes “I don't know a pinch of healing magic nor am I interested on it.”

Spike got on his feet “But why not? You could do much more for everypony if you learned it.”

“I could” he agreed “But it's not who I am,” he then stood in front of him “Now tell me,” he poked the dragon in the chest “Is this who you are?”

Spike looked down at the earth and got lost in thought. I wish it wasn't. It had been great to be treated with respect for that short time when he got a decent size. Even he had to admit he looked awesome and even strong... But it was a lie. After all, that form required him to be greedy, or at least a thief.
“Yes, this is who I am...” he sighed “Even if I don't like it.”
He felt a strong hit in his head.
“Ow!”

“Wrong!” Discord said “This, is who those ponies want you to be.”

“No, this is really me! If being big and strong comes with the price of doing the wrong things, I don't want to be big and strong!”

“Oh, but I'm not talking about your physical appearance,” Discord turned into a buffer version of himself “If that was the case, I would walk around like this to show how powerful I am,” he turned to his slender self again “But I don't need to. No no, I'm talking about your mind.”

“My.... Mind?” Spike repeated.

“You see, right now you think you are only 'big and strong' when you are evil. How can you convince others that you are an upstanding dragon when you don't believe it yourself? How will save your princess in distress if you need steroids to defend her?”

“But it's true I need it though. You proved my point when you lifted me and said I couldn't do anything in this form.”

“I never said anything about 'form'. Tell me, do you think you could stand a chance against me even if you were a million times bigger?”

“...Point taken.”

“In terms of physique, you will always have a way to improve. Find true strength in what you can do regardless of your looks or your wealth.”

Regardless of my looks or my wealth...

Discord smirked “I'll leave you to it, why don't we keep going?”

Spike nodded “Right!” he had now a smile on his face.

Enjoy that feeling while you can. It's going to be a barrel of laughs from now on... For me, that is, Hahaha! Then, for the first time in a century, he put a serious face At least this time I made it. He raised his head to look at the sky At least for now, he won't do anything stupid...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“That's fair,” Twilight said.

“Fair? That's an interesting word to use.”

“I know,” she sighed “I guess I was expecting another answer.”

Rarity shot her an interrogating look “Did you expect me to say that I like him?”

Twilight blushed “W-well, not exactly...”

“Twilight! Did you actually support him all of this time?!” the thought startled her.

“No! I mean, I never pictured him with you specifically. Especially since he's much younger. How much is it, by the way? Four? Five years?”

The unicorn cleared her throat “It is uncouth to ask a lady's age, dear,” she shook her head “But anyways, what were you saying about Spike?”

“I was just saying that I hoped he could find a couple of sorts. He used to daydream all the time about you and I thought about how lonely he should feel...”

Rarity blinked “You're telling me he never went after other fillies? Or mares when he grew up?”

“More or less. I asked him to give it a shot for his own sake, but, he was rejected the two times he tried. Mainly because those girls saw him as... Not an adult, to put it that way ...”

“Oh, right,” Rarity's guilt returned “Being a dragon really should be tough for him.”

“Indeed.”
There were seconds of silence before Twilight looked from side to side and decided to reveal something from Spike “Though he has had a small triumph of his own...”

“Hmmm. I guess an accepted kiss does count as such.”

“No, I mean before that...”

Rarity raised an eyebrow “Before he kissed me?”

Twilight nodded.

“Wha-who? You said he's never been in a relationship before.”

“And it's true but...”

“But?”

“Let's just say you didn't give him his first kiss.”

“What?! Then who did? And outside of a relationship nonetheless!” Rarity exclaimed.

“It's not like that-”

“Nonono wait! I know! It was probably the filly the one who stole a kiss from him!”

“Don't just guess! Why are you so exalted anyways?”

“Because that would explain why he caught me by surprise like that. Maybe he learned from a past experience!”

“...That actually doesn't explain your curiosity.”

Rarity rolled her eyes “Alright, I guess I'm a little jealous of the pony who got his first kiss.”

“What?! Rarity, that's so cruel! You don't like him but you wanted to be his first?”

“In my defense, this is recent. I only thought it would've been a great memory for him to have it with his crush. Don't you think it would've been cute?”

“Yeah right, since when is this about Spike?”

“Since the beginning! Trust me, Twilight, I care deeply for him. Even after what's happened lately I feel like I should compensate him in some way.”

“And getting his first kiss is a compensation?”

“I think you should re-read those romance novels you have in the library; that way you would understand more of the importance of a first kiss.”

Twilight paused to think for a moment. Maybe at that time, the kind of love Spike needed wasn't a romantic one. Maybe it should've been better if he had waited. She sighed “I guess he would've liked it had been you.”

Rarity then realized another fact “Speaking of which, you've had your first kiss, right? I think I never asked, and since you became a princess I bet not many stallions have the courage to court you.”

“That's actually true. I can't approach anypony who isn't my friend without being revered.”

“It must be flattering to have stallions admire your beauty,” Rarity said in a dreamy voice.

“Flattering? Troublesome is more like it. I don't want ponies to do this wherever I go,” she vowed, mimicking a random pony “Good morning Princess. How is your day going Princess? Anything I can do for you, Princess? Let me clear the way for you, Princess. What a nice surprise to see you, Princess.”

Rarity laughed at her comparison “It does sound troublesome when you put it that way.”

Twilight smiled and joined Rarity's laughter.

It wasn't long before both ponies regained their composure.

“We should get the others to come over! Let's have a last minute get-together!”

“Sounds like a splendid idea,” Rarity agreed.

Twilight opened the room's door and got out to prepare some food, but Rarity wasn't behind her. She returned and saw her friend still sat on the sofa “Are you coming?”

Instead of answering, she replied with a question of her own “Sooooo... Are you going to tell me?

Twilight inclined her head “Tell you what?”

“Who got Spike's first kiss.”

Twilight stood still, staring back at Rarity with a straight face “No.”

Rarity sharpened her look, pressing for a hint.

The alicorn fought back. With her eyes wide opened and pressing her lips shut.


“...”


“...”


“...!”


“...!!!”


“!!!!!!”


Then a single drop of sweat escaped her cheek, wetting a single hair of her fur. Any normal pony wouldn't have noticed that minimum detail. But Rarity did.


“IT WAS YOU?!” she shouted.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Discord yawned and rubbed his eyes. He didn't mind a casual walk, but it was just too boring to do it without anything actually happening.

“Get it down!” he could hear the complaints of his companion “You don't even know how much that's worth!” Spike was trying to reach a first edition power ponies issue, which was levitating thanks to Discord's magic.

“In bits or in actual value?” he asked “I don't understand why pieces of paper like this are such a big deal.”

“It's not just a piece of paper!” he leaped again, and failed to get a hold of the comic once more “It's a collectible! There are only a few dozen of them in all of Equestria!”

“A dozen papers make a bunch of paper. Seriously, what's the fuss all about?” Discord was practically taunting Spike. Making the comic fly from a side to another and constantly shaking it, which triggered a gasp from the dragon.

“Alrgiht, alright. You know how we measure the value of gems based on how hard it is to find them, right?” he began explaining.

“Right,” Discord droned with little interest.

“That's exactly how comic books work. The rarer it is to find them, the bigger their price is.”

“Then why don't they print a bunch of these and say it's also a first edition? They would make tons of their silly bits with that.”

“That wouldn't work. As printers get modernized, so do the issues. A first-time print will always be worth more.”

Discord let out an annoyed 'ugh' “Then why don't they make more copies of these-” he gestured the sleeved comic “-with their 'modern' machines?”

“They could, but as I said, the original is always better.”

“That makes less sense than chaos! Why would you want an old piece of paper rather than a new one? And with better illustrations no less!”

“Be-because-Nghh! Could you please just give it to me?” he gave up trying to convince him.

“Hey, this is my piece of paper,” he said with an indignant tone “And I'll use it as I see fit.”

“How can you say it's yours?! You probably took it from somepony else's collection!”

“If that was the case, you have no right over it either,” he smiled mockingly “And right now, it's in my possession.”

“Well, if you think it's worthless, don't you think it would be better to give it to one of your friends, who will appreciate it more?”

A black dot appeared above the thinking draconequus, then another one, then a third. After a second, they all popped and began to appear again in the same order.
“I guess that's what friends do…”

Spiked beamed of joy just by hearing that.

“I'll give this to you on one simple condition.”

“Yes! I'll do anything!”

“You'll have to read it.”

Spike's eyes widened “W-what?”

“Just as you heard,” he smirked.

“But that would decrease its value immensely! It has to be on mint condition! Reading it would mean-”

“Getting it out of the sleeve,” Discord playfully poked the item with his lion paw.

“I can't do that! The whole point is to have it intact.”

“So you don't want it then?”

Spike looked with shining eyes at the issue, and exhaled in defeat “No, you can keep it. I'd rather have it in perfect condition on a shelf that's not mine than opening it myself.”

“What a surprisingly heartwarming response,” he wiped a fake tear off his eye and returned to his normal self “But in all seriousness, the whole point of this things is to open and read them!” He exclaimed “That is the purpose of this paper. Unlike me, you are supposed to use it for what it's for!”

“You're the spirit of chaos; I don't think you'd be able to understand a collector's appreciation for these things.”

“True,” Discord nodded once “Then well, since you have no interest in reading it, I will,” he proceeded to carefully open the plastic cover.

“Wait, what are you doing?”

Then, with a single move, the plastic cover was gone.

“NOOO!!!!!” Spike jumped to save the comic from the evil monster who threatened to taint its perfection.

Discord simply took a step back and saw Spike pass in front of him “Wow, you are a baby alright. Stop whining like I'm committing a crime,” he knew, of course, that it was a crime in the community Spike was involved.

“You've ruined it!” he covered his eyes and sobbed like Rarity would do if one of her dresses was stained. More than genuine sadness, it was overreaction.

“Oh, please, it's not that bad. Will you let me now enjoy my read?”

“I don't care what you do! You're a heartless monster!” he resumed his cries.

Discord began to laugh loudly “The look on your face! Hahaha!”

“You're worse than any demon from Tartarus!”

“Now now, little fella, no need to get your scales all raspy,” he showed the comic to Spike “See?”

It was just like before. As new as it could be and without a single pawprint “It... Hasn't been damaged... But how? It doesn't have the protector sleeve anymore.”

“Take a closer look,” Discord invited.

By approaching, Spike saw that there was yet another, thinner plastic, wrapping the comic “A double sleeve!”

“Precisely, I only did that to irritate you.”

Spike was relieved, and allowed himself to calm down “Sorry for yelling at you like that.”

“Don't be, that was just what I was looking for,” he laughed again.

“How did you manage to put it in another one, by the way?”

“Hmmm? Oh, it was like this when that pony sold it to me.”

“Sold? You actually bought a power ponies issue?! That's awesome!”

Discord tapped his chin “Well, I wouldn't exactly say that I bought it...”


*Flashback*

Many comic book enthusiasts and casual reader ponies cowered behind the store's shelves hoping the lord of chaos wouldn't see them. Why was he there in the first place? One could only imagine he was there to punish somepony who had insulted him or that he was about to destroy the place out of mere hatred.

“No... No... Definitely no...” he scanned around for a title that could fit the needs of the mission.
After five minutes of no luck, he headed towards the counter, where a pony with a striped shirt and glasses looked at him in terror “I need something that would make any nerd gasp in excitement at sight,” he stated.

After being directed the word, the pony nodded immediately and galloped at full speed at the back of the shop.
The other ponies were still hiding, so Discord took the chance to have some fun. He turned into a terrifying pony mutant and shouted “BOO!”
All of the present screamed and ran for their lives. When the pony returned from the back, there wasn't a single customer other than the imposing draconequus.

“Here, this is the one, just please don't hurt me!”

Discord examined it “Really? It looks like any other in here.”

The pony forgot completely about his fear for the creature and raised his voice “Any other?! That's outrageous! Never mistake a masterpiece like this with a simple comic,” he even added a tone of disgust to the word 'comic'.

Discord was surprised at the sudden display of courage. He shot a deadly glare towards the pony, who gave the most awkward and Fluttershy-similar 'eep!'.

“Fine, I'll take it.”

“Yes! Take it! Just leave me alone!”

Discord raised an eyebrow “Really? Do you just want me to leave you alone in exchange for it?”

“Yes!” the pony trembled.

“Okay!” he snapped his fingers and the pony disappeared “Have a nice time!” he said to no one in particular before leaving.

In another dimension, the clerk floated through an abyss devoid of gravity and logic.
“Curses...”

*End of Flashback*


“I would say it was more like a barter,”

“It was the best deal you could've done, many would do anything to have one of those.”

“Then it's your lucky day,” he positioned the comic in front of Spike “It's yours.”

“Really?! Thank you!” he launched himself at Discord instead of the comic, wrapping him in a hug.

Discord grimaced with disgust and teleported Spike back to his place, making him hold his gift “Yeah, whatever, no need for that,” although he wouldn't admit it, he liked receiving a gesture like that from somepony else than Fluttershy. He mentally gave himself a pat on the back for leveling up his friendship skills.

“I'm so grateful though! I mean, going through the trouble of getting it for me? Not many would do that,” he glanced quickly at his present, then back at Discord “Do you really consider me a friend?”

“Let's just say it was a way to cheer you up in case you were still depressed. Now that you're not... Take it as a prize.”

Spike smiled again.

The duo kept walking; and after ten minutes of casual chat, Discord asked “How long till we get there?”

Spike shrugged “I don't know, maybe a couple weeks.”

“Weeks?!” he complained. With a snap of his fingers and a flash, an eyeglass and a smoking pipe were on his grasp “You really don't want to test my patience.”

“Got you,” Spike smirked “It's just a day or so from here.”

“I can live with that.”

The quest was about to be over. A thief would redeem himself, relationships would mend, and even though he wouldn't get the girl; Spike was completely sure Rarity would never keep him away.
It was all supposed to be simple after this...