• Published 19th Jun 2012
  • 1,672 Views, 20 Comments

The Runaway Mares - Garino

  • ...
2
 20
 1,672

1. A Plan (but is it sinister?)

Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic, approached the giant doors to Canterlot's great castle. It was rare for Twilight to get a summons from Princess Celestia, and even rarer for it to be considered "urgent." The doors opened and the young librarian walked into the castle's throne room. There, standing ever-so-regally, was Princess Celestia herself. But Twilight could tell something was wrong. Her mentor's eyes were red, her multi-colored mane unusually frazzled (yeah, imagine THAT, why don't you?), and her normally-present smile was...well, not present.

"My faithful student," Celestia said, "I am glad you could answer my summons."

"Princess, what's going on?" Twilight asked. "I've never seen you like this."

"It is because something like this has never happened before," Celestia answered. "Take a look at these."

A stack of papers floated towards Twilight. Each one showed a different location, along with a strange creature. It stood on two legs and looked to be very tall, about 6 feet, if Twilight were to guess. It wore a fancy blue suit, with a red tie around its neck, black pointed shoes, and had shaggy, yellow hair that looked like it could cover the eyes. If Twilight didn't know better, the creature looked exactly like the creature Lyra was always going on about.

"What is it?" Twilight finally asked.

"It's a human," Celestia replied.

"What?!? But that's impossible! Humans haven't been seen in Equestria for well over two millenia!" Twilight yelled.

Celestia closed her eyes. "I thought it impossible, as well. But this was taken by Featherweight while he and his family were on vacation in the Fruit Islands. And worse..." Celestia's eyes opened again, "nopony has seen Featherweight since we've received this pictures."

Twilight didn't speak. What could have happened to the young photographer, and how can anypony not have seen him since?

Celestia continued. "It's not just Featherweight. Reports have been coming from all over Equestria: Baltimane, Las Pegasus, Trottingham, even Ponyville and right here in Canterlot! There have been multiple reports that ponies have started to turn up missing. And if that wasn't enough...the other species have been reporting missing individuals as well. From Diamond Dogs to dragons and gryphons, it seems nothing is safe."

"Then what do you need me for?" Twilight asked after a moment of silence.

Celestia finally stood up and walked to Twilight. "I need you to find this human," Celestia said. "He's the only constant in all of these disappearings. Plus...he's sent me this." The princess then revealed a piece of parchment unlike anything Twilight had ever seen. It was rectangular in shape, with one side completely perfect, and the other had an X on the back, stretching from corner to corner. The front, which had writing on it, said, "To Celestia's student."

The back had more writing, this time saying, "Open here." An arrow pointed to the center of the X, where it seemed like an edge was jutting out. He must think we're stupid or something, Twilight thought as she used her magic open the envelope. She read it out loud for the two ponies to hear.

To Celestia's Student,

You do not know me, but I know very much about you. I have seen how well you handle yourself and others in the face of adversity. However, I wish to test just how well you can do so...alone. Come to the abandoned warehouse located at 2358 Timber Lane. I look forward to meeting you and just watching what you can do.

Of course, I know you might choose not to show. Therefore, I have taken the liberty of taking your friends hostage. They are located in the pictures taken by a certain white pegasus with a brown mane. I will transport you there for you to rescue them. Hope to see you soon.

Garino

Upon finishing the letter, Twilight's eyes widened. How was this possible? The first human in 2000 years to reappear in Equestria, and he's taken to kidnapping?

Celestia's demeanor, in contrast, had changed from worried to downright angry. She wrapped a wing around Twilight to comfort her, and leaned forward. "Get yourself to the address. Once you find him, capture him and bring him to me," she said coldly. "I will make him pay for his actions."

Twilight closed her eyes and nodded. Whoever this Garino was, she would find him. And when she brought him before Celestia, may the Sun Alicorn have mercy upon him. In a flash of lavender light, Twilight disappeared.


Coral Filigree. A unicorn with a sea-colored coat, maroon mane and tail, and a cutie mark in the shape of a clam. Can you guess her job? If you guessed anything related to the sea, you are right. Coral is the leading marine biologist for Canterlot, sailing out to study life under the sea. She enjoyed it for the most part, getting to find new animals and plants one would never find on land. Today, she was to present her findings to the Academy, and hopefully, finally get recognized across the world. She sincerely hoped so.

As she approached the Academy, Coral realized something was wrong. All the lights were on, but it looked like nopony was here. Were they at lunch? Did they reschedule her for a later appearance? And did it have anything to do with...cloaked ponies? Coral hid herself, careful not to be seen by them. Two of them were carrying bags with their teeth. Obviously earth ponies, judging by the facts that A. They were using their teeth and not magic, and B. Those bags looked far too heavy for other ponies to carry.

The ponies cleared out quickly, leaving Coral in the clear. Just who were they? And what were they carrying? Coral thought to herself. She shook her head. It didn't matter, she had to make her presentation soon. She passed by a calendar and glanced at it. The days that had passed were already crossed out with an X. But wait...Saturday, August 14...wasn't crossed out? But she was sure today was the 15th.

Coral hummed to herself.Those ponies surely had something important in those bags. But what?

"I don't know," Coral answered the unspoken question, "but I'm going to find out!" With that, she turned around and chased after the ponies before they got out of range. She had plenty of time to report her findings: and this could be the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to stop something big.


Gilda Lockehart flew around Manehattan, sulking. It had been a year since she last spoke to Rainbow Dash. It was obvious they weren't going to see each other again...at least not on good terms. Okay, so MAYBE she was a little too harsh about the words she chose to describe those ponies. But so what? As far as she was concerned, they were all lame, and Dash was just another lame-o pony that could've been cool. But still...it hurt that her former friend abandoned her. It wasn't so easy to forget her, and...

Her train of thought was interrupted as a bright flash of light erupted from the abandoned warehouse. Every fiber of Gilda's being told her, "Don't fly over and examine the light. It's nothing important." But curiosity got the better of her: after all, who would be crazy enough to cause something that bright to appear in daylight? She flew down to the front door, to find it was wide open. She was about to enter the building, until she heard a voice.

"You big dummy! How many times have I told you, don't make it so flashy?!?"

"Quiet, you! We did as we were asked. Let's just get these ponies to him before anypony notices."

"Nopony would notice if you didn't make a show out of every capture."

"Hmph. You just don't know talent when you see it."

"Whatever. Let's just get out of here before the guards take note."

Gilda flew to the roof and watched as two cloaked figures, unicorns by their horns, walked out of the warehouse with multiple wriggling bags in tow. Just what was going on? She should help them. But...they're just lame ponies. "Why should I try and help them? It doesn't concern me in any way," Gilda muttered. No sooner had the words left her mouth did she feel something strike the back of her head. She heard a single sentence before she blacked out.

"It concerns you now, gryphon."


Setting the maps before him, Garino went through his plans one more time. "Maybe I am wrong," he muttered to himself. "If she can't succeed, then it will only complicate things. And the stars are almost out of energy." He turned to check on the subjects. All five were still in top condition. Asleep. And if he was correct, exactly what could be used to restore the stars. A knock on the door snapped him out of his thoughts. "Door's unlocked, come in," he said.

Three ponies entered the room, each carrying a bag. They dropped the items in front of Garino and panted, their energy gone from all of the carrying. The right hooded pony spoke first, in a rough, masculine voice. "Sir, we've secured Celestia's student, as you've asked. We've also found a sea-colored unicorn and another gryphon around the warehouse. We decided to play it safe and capture them as well."

Garino sighed. "Secure and capture do not mean the same thing, Corporal. Secure means to make sure everything is in order, while capture means to take control. Securing the student did not mean you had to bag her." He looked to the other two, who simply shrugged their shoulders.

"Sir, if I may speak freely?" the middle pony asked. Her voice was kind, but had a hint of manipulation to it. Garino simply nodded, prompting her to continue. "You still haven't told us what these 6 can do. You said they were important to your plans, but just what exactly are they?"

"Hmm...I guess I can let you three know what's going on," Garino answered. "After all, you will be directly part of it."

All three ponies gasped. "But sir," the third pony questioned, in a voice that blended naivety with maturity, "why do we need them if we will be part of it ourselves?"

Garino tapped his finger on the far-right map. It showed a beautiful jungle, but he knew it would contain traps. Non-fatal, mind you, as a dead individual is useless to all but necromancers, something he was not. "Because it requires competition. Someone on my side must stand against them to ensure it's not just a given victory. The stars know a set-up when they see one. Or...at least HE does." The emphasis was said in distaste. "There will only be one location where...did you ever get her name?"

"Um, Twilight Sparkle is the student's name, sir," the corporal said.

Garino blinked. "Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay...anyway, there's only one location where...Twilight Sparkle...cannot assist us, and we will need to find a replacement for when that time comes. For now, take her to the first portal, along with the gryphon and the unicorn. They can be her...acquaintances...during her tenure here. Sergeant." The middle pony saluted. "You will be their first opponent. I will be down to monitor them shortly. Private." The left pony saluted. "You will be their second opponent. Make preparations for the second map and come to me if you have any problem. Corporal, I don't think I need to give you your orders."

"No, sir. I believe I know them right now," Corporal responded.

"Very good. You have your orders, so that'll be all. DISMISSED!" Garino bellowed out the last word loud enough for its immediate effect. As soon as they were gone, he turned to the subjects again. "And so it begins. The die shall be cast, and the world must be protected." He turned his attention to the far right. "The so-called Element of Generosity," he murmured, "your time has come. The game begins, and you shall be the guide of the Jungle."