• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 10,441 Views, 1,438 Comments

Time Ticks on - Golden Script



Our hero was in for a surprise after attending a Steampunk convention. A new time piece will bring him into a conflict that will decide the fate of a country: Equestria, a land full of magical ponies, hidden dangers, and immensely powerful rulers.

  • ...
59
 1,438
 10,441

3. Piece of the Past: Guns and Roses

As I looked around my eyes grew wider and wider until they felt like they’d pop out of my head. I was no longer in the convention center, I was in a field.

The grass blew around, forming waves of green. The smell assaulted my nostrils, bringing nothing but the thought of spring and freshness; the sound of the grass a constant and fluctuating "whoosh". It rolled for as far as the eye could see in all directions.

Well, not all directions. After a minute of actively searching the horizon I found I could see some trees off in the distance. I began to think about exactly what happened to me, but found the sun bearing down on me relentlessly. When I looked up I saw something odd, but not impossible.

The sky was blue.

Yeah, yeah, I know. “But the sky is supposed to be blue.” That’s not what I mean. It was a pure blue, like it hadn’t been touched by human hands…. Well, I should say “sentient limbs” looking back on it.

I’d have thought that it was a perfect day, if I weren’t wearing a heavy coat. Realizing this, I took the coat off and folded it over my arm. This allowed me out of my stupor to go into survival mode. I went through the typical steps one should take.

One: don’t panic.

Check.

Two: check current location; look for landmarks or anything else to indicate where one is.

Check. No major indicators other than the forest in the distance.

Three: check what is on one's person at the time of awakening.

Check. I have my clothing, my wallet, my phone—which, conveniently enough, has no signal—, the trench coat I was wearing moments before, the goggles on my forehead, the pocket watch, and the gun I’d bought at the convention.

I’d checked the gun at the convention, but it had a distinct lack of ammo back then. Now there was a live round in the chamber. I dismissed it as one of the least strange things that had happened today, holstering the weapon once more.

“Well, great. I’m Stuck in the middle of nowhere with a live handgun, a watch, and a busted cellphone. Sounds like a bad book.” I said to myself, just to hear something other than the whistle of the wind over the grass.

So imagine my surprise when I got a response.

-----

ELSEWHERE MINUTES BEFORE

“Greetings! What chaos can I do for you today?” Asked a cheery Draconequus. This creature looks like a mishmash of many different creatures. The particular Draconequus speaking has an eagle’s claw and a lion’s paw, a snake tail and the head of a horse. It has the wings of a Pegasus and a bat and its horns resembled that of a goat and a deer.

“How about the chaos of disappearing, Discord?” The younger sister responded. Her soft wings and a hard horn were colored, the same as her coat, navy blue. Her mane was an ethereal blue trail that sparkled as if the stars themselves were woven in. she adorned silver plated hooves and the crest on her chest showed a white crescent over a black background.

“And I would do this… why, Luna?” Discord waved his paw around, conjuring a banana that split open to explode like a party popper, as he asked this.

“Look around, Discord. You cause nothing but misery in these lands. All who reside here, only wish you gone!” the older one stomped a hoof. She had a pure white coat, which also matched the colors of her wings and horn. Her mane was a plethora of colors, ranging from green to pink to blue. Her hooves had golden plating and the crest hanging from her neck was gold with a simple purple jewel embedded in it.

“Well, Celestia, you know I can’t just up and go! There are still so many goodbyes I need to say.” He put his talon over his forehead as he said this. The mares before him were not impressed.

“Oh, fine.” he continued after a moment. “I’ll leave,” There was a look of shock on the two liberators-to-be. Discord finished. “On one condition.” He held a digit up, indicating his one and only requirement before he left.

“And… what would that be?” Celestia exchanged a glance with Luna before asking this.

“You must defeat me in a duel.” He said with a devious sneer.

The two mares quickly crouched into a fighting stance, lighting their horns and flaring their wings.

“Oh, not right now!” the chimera cried out in laughter. “And it wouldn’t be fair, two on one! You ponies are so barbaric.” He mumbled the last part to himself.

Celestia slowly relaxed with Luna right behind, even if the blue mare kept her wings slightly extended.

“Ok, Discord. What are the details of our duel?” asked Celestia.

“Well, it’s not our duel. You see, there’s no way that either of you would be able to beat me, we all know I'm the embodiment of Chaos, so how do we level the playing field?” he waited, and when no suggestions were given, he finished. “We have others fight for us.”

The sisters were surprised and disgusted by the thought of this, having others fight their battles. What if they got injured! What if it were fatal! They’d carry the knowledge with them for the rest of their lives, that they'd been responsible for a creatures death.

“I’ve already chosen my champion. All you have to do is find someone willing to fight for you.” said the draconequus. “I’ll leave you to it!” he jeered as he flew off.

“Sister, what are we to do?” asked Luna. She had a face that showed her concern for the challenge Discord had issued.

Her sisters’ visage, however, did not mirror hers. It was a mask of determination. “You will follow him, spy on him, try to find out what his champions strengths and weaknesses are. You will stall them and give me time to find the Elements of Harmony. With those we will be able to trap Discord in stone whether he likes it or not. Now go!” Luna hesitated only a second before adopting a face similar to her sisters’ and flew off in the direction Discord was heading.

“We’ve been looking for months, but we just can’t find them! The Elements of Harmony are nowhere in Equestria!” Celestia thought aloud. “Unless…” she checked her map again, looking to an area they hadn’t searched, but didn’t dare for fear of what lurked within. “Unless Discord moved them to the Everfree.” Celestia finished her previously unfinished statement. The Alicorn looked towards the forest, mere willpower keeping her from walking away and trying again in another village.

She began her long journey into the forest.

-----

IN THE SKY

‘Where could he be going?’ Thought Luna as she followed Discord. ‘There’s nothing out here!’

As soon as she took off after the Draconequus she found him flying over in the direction of the Pony Plains. there wasn't much in that direction other than a faraway town that was only just budding. the chances of a fine champion in the small assortment of houses was extremely small.

The sky was clear, the sun was shining, and the air over her wings was cool. It was the perfect day to go flying… which is why she nearly flew right over the clearing that Discord had stopped at.

When she did realize that she was no longer following him she was still a good few hundred feet from the clearing, giving her just enough time to stop and hide in some trees. She used a spell to increase her sight and hearing. This increased her vision threefold and her hearing intensified.

What she saw standing next to Discord stunned her.

-----

IN THE CLEARING

“Well, great. I’m Stuck in the middle of nowhere with a live handgun, a watch, and a busted cellphone. Sounds like a bad book.” I’d just finished saying.

“It would be, if I weren’t in it!” Came a cheery voice from behind me. I whipped around and stared at the creature before me. “Hello, Champion! My name is Discord!” it reached out a paw that resembled a lion.

“Umm… hello?” I attentively reached out and grasped the paw. It took a firm hold on my hand and violently pulled the limb up and down, shaking the rest of me.

When the onslaught of vibrations finally stopped I just about fell over. When I finally did catch my balance I looked Discord over, taking in his appearance to see if he was a friend or a foe.

“Oh, you have nothing to fear from me! I’m one of the good guys!” he told me before putting his eagle clawed arm around my body, effectively stopping me from using my own arms. He made a grand waving motion in front of us and said “we have so much to talk about.”

*gulp*

Author's Note:

Oh, it's you again. If you continued straight away from the last chapter, good for you. if you left to read something else, then came back three months later without the foggiest idea of what's happened... well, if you did that, then here's a lollipop. No, don't leave, those who did not leave. I've written down your names and you will not receive lollipops after your three month period.

Some of you may be thinking why they got lollipops and not you, some of you may be thinking when the next chapter will be posted, some of you may even be thinking why you're still reading this after so much nonsense... well, and I’m here to tell you that all of your questions will be answered in the next paragraph. THAT DOES NOT GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO SKIP TO THE NEXT CHAPTER, SOLDIER!! Now, on with what I was saying: You’ve been recruited because you are the best, the brightest, and the most all around booksmartiest people on Fimficion and I’m here to give you you're mission.

Suck it up. :rainbowwild:

P.S. I just finished watching Edge of Tomorrow. The soldier movie where he restarts the day every time he dies. I've still got the "drill sergeant" thing in my system. Give it a day to thin out, I’ll be fine.

P.P.S. It’s 1A.M. and I’m tired as all hell. Please do ignore any and all misspells or random words in this A/N, for they are not my usual writing style. Thank you.

P.P.P.S. I will hopefully get the next chapter out a few days after this one is posted. This is relevant to the chapters posting, not the story’s, so it may be sooner than you think.

Thanks for reading, and please post comments voicing your thoughts! I love reading comments!