• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 10,434 Views, 1,438 Comments

Time Ticks on - Golden Script



Our hero was in for a surprise after attending a Steampunk convention. A new time piece will bring him into a conflict that will decide the fate of a country: Equestria, a land full of magical ponies, hidden dangers, and immensely powerful rulers.

  • ...
59
 1,438
 10,434

14. Piece of the Past: Trust

It had been a few hours since Luna had dropped the gun. She was becoming quite good at hitting several targets in quick succession.

“Ok, hit all four!” I yelled as I tossed four chunks of wood into the air. A second later all four were splinters on the ground.

“I did it!” She jumped up and down, the gun floating just above her, pointing to the sky. She’d learned that the hard way when she nearly hit me on accident.

“Yes you did. Good job.” I smiled as I walked over, taking the gun from her. “But I believe that it’s time to take a break. That’s enough training for now.” There was a bit of disappointment in her eyes, but it was quickly wiped away by content. We sat down, just enjoying each other’s company.

Or so I thought.

“Why are you doing this?” She asked suddenly.

“Doing what? Teaching you how to wield my pistol?” I asked.

“No, why are you helping Discord?” When I looked at her I saw the look on her face. It was one of neutrality, much like the calm before a storm.

“He… Discord was the first being I met in this world. He showed me hospitality and taught me how to use what I had.” I told her solemnly.

“But that’s not enough to follow him blindly!” She faced me with distress on her face. “What did he promise you if you helped him win, because whatever power he’s said you’ll earn is a trick!”

“He didn’t promise me power!” I shouted, making her pause in her rant. “He promised me freedom; freedom for those of this country. He has told me what you planned for the beings of this world. You want to enslave everyone on this planet and put yourselves at the top!” I stood, towering over the prone mare. “I implore you; join us in our fight for freedom.”

“You don’t know… do you?” She asked, more to herself than me, but I heard nonetheless.

“Know what? That you came here trying to overthrow Discord and take the position of queen? That you’re going to banish him from his own kingdom? That your true intent is to gain power in any way possible?” I ended up yelling at her in anger.

“Michael, come here. I want to show you something.” She said this in a calm tone that enraged me beyond belief.

“No, you’re probably going to try and brainwash me!” The accusation was not unwarranted, but it was irrational. She’d been so nice to me, and never once shown the control-freak personality I’d think a dictator would have.

“Please. Do this one thing for me. That’s all I ask. After that I’ll leave you to do what you wish with me.” Her face was a mask of sorrow.

I didn’t respond, but I didn’t move away either. Something told me to do this, and I didn’t like it very much, but if it would get her off my back, I thought it might be worth it.

A trail of magic snaked out of her horn, flowing towards me. I tensed, but once it touched my forehead my eyes widened in realization.

-----
IN MICHAEL’S MINDSCAPE

I couldn’t see anything. There was just blackness. Nothing anywhere. I heard a voice. Her voice.

“Michael, I want to give you a view of our land.” She said.

“Luna, where are you? I can't see anything!” Panic was my first reaction, my second was confusion.

She laughed. She laughed at me like I was some child! It made me slightly angry, seeing as I had somehow lost my sight in this process.

“This is no laughing matter! I’m blind and it’s all your fault!” I yelled at her.

“Open your eyes.” She got out between chuckles.

That’s when I did just that, realizing I had my eyes closed the whole time.

“Oh…” I said as I looked at myself. Hands, check; arms, check; torso, check; legs, check; and feet, check. Looks like I’m all here. So where is here?’ I thought to myself as I looked around.

We were in a white room, but it was more like a void, seeing as there was no ceiling, visible walls or floor. I spotted Luna, but something was off.

‘Was it her mane? No, that couldn’t be it. Her hair was always a pitch black, wasn’t it? Maybe her light blue eyes… but those were always like that. I know it. Hmm… ah! I got it! It’s her complexion! She is much paler than she should be. She’s also much taller, though. I wonder why.’

“Hmm, it seems that I’ve taken a new form. Well, that is to be expected when I enter the dreams of another creature. You see, I take the form most familiar to them. In your case, it would be your species, which is why I’m now a… human, it seems, instead of the pony that you’re familiar with. Thankfully, I won’t have to learn how to walk, for I believe the transfer between quadruped and biped would be quite difficult.” She jokingly said to herself.

There was a moment of silence before I realized something.

She was stark naked.

No clothes at all.

Right in front of me.

It was at this point in time that I realized my own nudity and attempted to cover my rising… issue.

“It would seem that your species has a habit of wearing clothes. I guess I could arrange something. One moment, please.” She closed her eyes and focused. I blinked wondering what exactly she was doing, but when I opened my eyes once more I found both of us fully clothed. She was in a flowing blue sundress with a moon on her hip. It looked oddly fitting for her. I looked down at myself once more, expecting to find myself in my Birthday Suit, but instead found the trench coat and vest I’d worn to the Convention. “Now that’s been taken care of, let me show you what shape our land is in.” She said as she motioned to the space behind her. The white of the void shimmered and a town materialized out of the alabaster background.

“This is the town of Manehattan. It is a small village of no more than a few hundred, but growing by the month. This is what it would look like if my sister and I ruled.” It zoomed in, showing me several small horses—smaller than Luna, anyway— going about their lives with smiles and cheer. “This is what it looks like now, under the rule of Discord.” The image changed, morphing into an image of what I imagine the apocalypse would look like…

If it were done by a clown.

Buildings were flying in the air, ponies—as I have come to know them—were inflated and floating through the air like lost balloons, banana peels were all over the place, causing those that could run around to slip and fall every few seconds, the ground was a weird zigzag pattern and the sky was the most unnatural color of green I’d ever seen. The chaos that was ensuing was downright stupid.

“As you can see, Discord is not just exercising freedom, but he’s using said freedom to do whatever he wishes to the world we live in today. My sister and I were going to stop this monster from playing with our little ponies lives like they were simple toys.” She said with determination.

There was a moment of me trying to absorb all of this, trying to understand it all. I found that I had known Discord a relatively short time and he had given me no reason to trust him. I also found that Luna had spent an even shorter time with me but in that period she had shown her trustworthiness several times over. I decided then and there that I was on the wrong side.

“Luna, get us out of here.” I said quietly to the mare.

“Ok, Michael.” Her forehead glowed, presumably, where her horn would be.

-----
OUTSIDE MICHAEL’S MINDSCAPE

When I opened my eyes, in the real world, anyway, I found Luna hovering over me with a worried look on her face.

“Hello, Luna.” I said as I sat up. My voice was a cold neutral, I didn’t show any anger and I didn’t show any happiness.

“Michael, there is nothing else I can do to show you the truth, short of taking you to the towns that I speak of, but as soon as we left this area Discord would most likely be notified. We would never be able to get to any of said towns fast enough, not even with your speed ability.” She said sorrowfully.

“If I could do it, would you show me?” My head was down, hiding my eyes from view.

“What do you mean?” The question hung in the air.

“If I could get to this town before Discord realized it.” I clarified.

“Well, yes. But like I said, even with your augmented speed, we’d never get to the closest one before he knew we’d moved. He’d probably revert the town into something resembling ‘order’ before we were halfway there.” She looked down, much like me.

“You doubt my abilities; that hurts, Luna.” I said with pseudo-tears in my eyes.

“But, I don’t understand. Nothing is fast enough to do the feat you’re implying.” She was surprised by my confidence.

“I can guarantee we make it there and back before he even knows we left.” I said, matter-of-factly.

“He has magic, that I’m sure is instantaneous, and he can teleport back here as soon as he knows. Are you saying you’re faster than that?” Confusion was evident on her face, shown in her raised brow and wide eyes.

“Yep!” I said, more than a little proud. “Of course, I can’t say that he won’t notice once we get back.”

There was a moment of silence as she stared at me with “skeptic” written all over her.

“Prove it.” She said simply.

“A bit childish, don’t you think?” I asked as I stood up.

“Yes, but the point still stands: I don’t believe you, so prove it.” She stood with me.

“Ok, give me your hoof.” I said as I reached down for the indicated limb.

She reached up and I gripped the soft fur of her neatly cut fetlocks. I pulled my watch out, and gave a silent request to the time piece.

‘please, let this to work!’ I thought to it as I clicked the crown.

-----
LUNA’S POINT OF VIEW

I saw him click the top of the thing he took out of his pocket. Suddenly I felt power flood into me. There was a few seconds, from my point of view, where time slowed down before it stopped! As soon as this happened I realized how much colder it had gotten. I pulled the hoof in his hand away to attempt to keep myself warm.

I tried to yell out, wondering how it became so cold so fast, and found I had become mute. I frantically shouted to try and get my voice back when I saw Michael with a finger to his lips. He took off his long coat and draped it over my head. It trailed all the way down my neck, over my back and halfway to the ground; that’s just how long it was. He gave me a comforting smile and stood back up.

There was a moment for me to enjoy the warmth in his jacket, the only thing there was in this vacuum. Once that moment was over I looked around for the first time, realizing that nothing was moving anymore. The trees had frozen in the breeze, the grass no longer waved, and the clouds in the sky were stuck in their places.

I looked to Michael questioningly, but he just shrugged it off. He made a motion to the area around us, which only received another look from me.

He made an exasperated sigh motion. After this a game of charades started. There was a motion to me then him, followed by an over exaggerated walking gesture, and finally some funny faces. I pieced this together as he wanted us to go to the town, to show him of the insanity of Discord’s world.

I nodded, and started walking towards the nearest town, which was Las Pegasus. It wasn’t the city I’d shown him, but it was closer and probably in a similar state.

-----
A WHILE LATER (BUT TECHNICALLY NO TIME AT ALL)

The first five minutes I was worried that Discord had noticed we were gone, ten minutes after that I thought he was just leading us on, but after that I felt safe just walking beside Michael.

The silence was driving me crazy, though.

Author's Note:

So, Michael can pull living things into his Stases. That's useful.