• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 10,421 Views, 1,438 Comments

Time Ticks on - Golden Script



Our hero was in for a surprise after attending a Steampunk convention. A new time piece will bring him into a conflict that will decide the fate of a country: Equestria, a land full of magical ponies, hidden dangers, and immensely powerful rulers.

  • ...
59
 1,438
 10,421

7. Piece of the Past: Cubs, Spells, Early Mornings - Oh, My!

I was never a morning person. It was entwined in my soul, my very essence. I hated waking up. Now, this never stopped me from getting up in the morning, seeing as my apprentice wouldn’t let me sleep past sunrise.

I heard some rapid knocking come from my quarter’s door. ‘That must be her now.’ I thought as the knocking persisted. “Let me sleep.” I called to her.

She barged in anyway.

“Teacher! You’ll never believe what happened!” She called as she came crashing through the door. Her speed and enthusiasm was admirable, but it didn’t help my sleepy visage.

“I bet I won’t, Minuette. What happened?” I asked tiredly as I rolled over in the bed.

“I froze time!” She squeed. This was a confusing notion.

“What do you mean you ‘froze time’?” I asked the excited mare.

“Well, you know how you always told me to try and apply the magic I learned here in my everyday life?” I nodded quickly. “Well, I took your time spell home and looked at it. I noticed that while it is a perfectly safe spell it could cause a paradox if you changed something that wouldn’t otherwise be that way, so instead of aiming to go back in time I focused on making it stop!” she smiled like the madmare she was.

“That… makes no sense at all.” I told her slowly.

“Well, it seemed to work when I did it.” She started charging her horn, supposedly for this time stopping spell. After a second of charging she suddenly disappeared. There were a few seconds of nothing, and she was back with a loaf of bread in her mouth.

“Shfee?” she asked, the loaf still lodged between her teeth.

“Minuette, this is amazing! We must show the princesses at once!” I exclaimed sarcastically, rolling over again.

“You don’t believe me, do you?” there was a little hurt in her voice, but I was in no mood to comfort her.

“No, I don’t. Anypony could use a teleport spell to pop to the bakery and back.” I waved my hoof at her as I put a pillow over my face.

My bed disappeared, right from underneath me, and I fell to the floor. I turned to look at Minuette and she had it behind her. If there was magic involved I would have felt it, but there was no change in the flow of magic other than a burst from where she was standing. This meant the bed was moved physically, not magically. With another light things were suddenly piled on top of the bed and she was standing somewhere else. I stood in awe as she gave me a smug look.

“Minuette, contact the princesses.” I said, still in awe at the new spell.

“I’ll write a letter.” She smiled and jumped off to summon the royal sisters.

-----
IN THE EVERFREE FOREST

The roar made the hair on the back of Princess Celestias neck stand on end. There was something in it that unsettled the alicorn. Not many things in this world could scare her anymore, showing exactly how menacing this sound was.

“That’s not good, how about we try and avoid it.” there was another roar, closer this time, that sounded a lot like a predator on the hunt. “At all costs, that is!” she finished as she started sprinting away from the creature.

As she wove through the undergrowth of the forest she looked back to catch glimpses of something chasing her. It was large and it was angry, this much she could tell. Why it was so infuriated, she couldn’t figure out. Unless Celestia had wandered upon the creatures territory, which she would eventually leave therefore ending the hunt, there was nothing that would cause such rage she knew of. So the most logical thing to do was keep running.

She ran and ran and ran, but the creature never gave up. The princess's legs were becoming tired, she would fall soon.

“Come on, why won’t it stop?” she asked herself more than the monster on her tail. “I’m sure I’m not in its territory anymore!”

Whether she liked it or not, she got a response. Behind the sound of hooves hitting the ground and her own heavy breaths Celestia heard a sound. It was a small, quiet sound, so she had to strain to hear it, but when she did she stopped dead in her tracks.

“mewl.” It was the sound of a kitten, or, more importantly, a Manticore cub.

Celestia looked in her ethereal tail to find a small bundle of fur latched on to the wisps. It was tangled in her tail swatting at the tendrils that floated in front of it. When it noticed Celestia staring at it, dumbstruck, it waved a paw in rapturous greeting.

A loud approaching roar snapped her out of her cuteness induced stupor. “How’d you get there?” She asked as she gingerly picked up the baby in her magic.

“Mewl.” Was the only response the cub provided.

“Well, that explains that.” She mused out loud.

Suddenly a full grown Manticore came crashing through the bushes, freezing when it saw that she had its cub in her magical grip. Manticores were fairly intelligent creatures. Not intelligent enough to talk, but they could understand basic Equestrian and most body language.

“Now here’s the deal. I set your cub down and walk away. You don’t follow me. Got it?” the Manticore gave a growl of understanding.

There was a moment where the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife. Celestia slowly set the cub down and started backing away. The cub looked back at her with a playful look in its eye. It started following her. Wherever the alicorn went the cub followed.

“Stop it!” she whispered to the young one. “Go to your… father!” she hesitated, not wanting to offend the Manticore. There was a deadpan look from the creature as Celestia stopped backing away. “Mother?” she asked the beast. There was a nod and an embarrassed smile; the cub looked between the pony princess and the mother. The two Manticores let out a sequence of growls, purrs, and faces that read something like this:

“Mom, can I play with the funny rainbow pony's tail some more, please?" The cub put on its best sad kitten face.

"No, we need to go back to where your father is waiting." The mother growled. 'Then smack your father for letting that sad face get to him, and letting you chase this weird pony in the first place.' The mother thought to herself.

"Please, you never let me chase prey! I caught this pony by its tail! So doesn't that make it mine?!" The little cub huffed. "I had this rainbow pony! One more pounce and she would have been done for!”

"I said NO! Besides ponies don't usually look like that... this one’s weird, and would likely taste awful." The mother looks at Celestia with her muzzle scrunched in disgust.

"No way, mom!" The cub charges right at his former prey and pounces on one of Celestias legs. "See it taste like..." The cub licks the leg he was attached onto, but his small face contorts as the taste of sweat, dirt, and other horrid flavors spread across his tongue. "Ewww... It tastes like you after you wrestle with dad. I hate giving you a goodnight kiss after you wrestle with dad!" The cub pouts, at his mother, before hissing at the rainbow pony.

"So you still want that pony for prey?" The mother chuckles at her son.

"Nu uh! It tastes bitter, and icky!" The cub yelled before running towards his mother and jumping onto her back.

Celestia watches the two Manticores walk in the direction the chase had started. "That cub was a cute little thing! Though the mother... she had a disgusted look for some reason," Celestia turn to resume her journey, only to stop in her tracks after a few steps. "Hey, the cub gave me that same look after it licked me!" She wasn’t able to continue that thought on account of a flash nearly blinding her. When she opened her eyes again there was a scroll on the ground. It held the seal of Starswirl the Bearded. “It seems that something has happened in the middle of my little adventure. I wonder what.” She said as she levitated the scroll to eyelevel, unraveling it along the way. She scanned the parchment and was surprised by what she found.

A new spell was created, a spell that could help with any endeavor that one might engage in.

“Seems interesting enough. I might as well take a break to check it out.” She mumbled to herself as she marked her position with her own magical signature. She charged a teleport spell and jumped to the house of her student.