• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 10,433 Views, 1,438 Comments

Time Ticks on - Golden Script



Our hero was in for a surprise after attending a Steampunk convention. A new time piece will bring him into a conflict that will decide the fate of a country: Equestria, a land full of magical ponies, hidden dangers, and immensely powerful rulers.

  • ...
59
 1,438
 10,433

8. Piece of the Past: Reactions

As I thumbed my watch once more I felt my senses come back. There was the dewy smell of the grass, the whoosh of the breeze as it passed through the trees, the bright light of the sun and the swaying shade the trees provided, the sound of Discord flying through the air, the cool breeze on my face, blowing my hair-

Wait, what?’

It was true. Discord sped towards the forest with the grace of a brick. I was first concerned that he’d smash into me and kill us both, but that was disproven when he demolished a tree not ten feet away. He kept going for a good hundred feet before he was stopped by a massive tree, the trunk being three times as big as a normal tree.

In the minute that my brain took to comprehend what had just happened, the Chimera had finished his aeronautical journey and settled at the base of the aforementioned tree. I looked through the newly made path at the king. Discord was laying, legs over his head, against the tree, obviously unconscious.

“Please tell me that wasn’t my fault.” I requested from anyone who was listening, which was nobody.

-----
IN THE WHITETAIL WOODS ONLY MOMENTS BEFORE

Luna thought herself to be a mare of stature, poise, and could keep her composure under most circumstances. This would be one time that she would have wished she did not. As Discord, the embodiment of chaos, was flying directly towards her like a comet flying through her night sky. Luna remained completely composed, but this feeling was only skin deep. In her mind she had a completely different mindset.

'HOLY MOTHER OF MINE! THIS IS GOING TO-'

Her thought was interrupted by the sudden crushing impact of Discord's body colliding with hers, followed by the impact of a very solid type of tree. The tree in question was named that day by the princess, and would be forever know as a Lunar Chaos tree. It was the name she had given it as the last moments of consciousness left her.

‘This tree shall be known as Lunar Chaos! Thee and thy kin shall be struck down throughout our lands for thine action!' She thought, momentarily receding back into the way she was trained to speak in political situations.

-----
AT STARSWIRL THE BEARDED’S HOUSE

“Ok, teacher, the letter’s sent!” Minuette called to her mentor from the desk of the study.

“Good.” The mage was still in slight shock, but knew enough to praise her student when she did something with a positive outcome.

There was two seconds of silence and a bright light. A popping sound rung through the room as the light disappeared. In the center of the space, like a massive centerpiece, stood the solar alicorn in all of her celestial glory.

If her celestial glory was sweat, mud and a small wet patch on her leg that looked like saliva. Celestia was absolutely filthy, and she knew it.

This did not impair Starswirls ability to acknowledge his senior. “Princess Celestia, it is good to see you.” His tone did not waver or break, as if he hadn’t even noticed the state his princess was in.

“Now, Starswirl, you know that I’m not a princess yet.” She told him. “Also, I may need to use your cleaning facility.” She said, looking at her tarnished alabaster coat in contempt.

“Of course, second door on the left down that hallway.” He said, indicating said passage.

"Thank you." She said, truly thankful to be able to bathe and have her coat clean once more.

For the entire conversation, since the alicorn had teleported in, Minuette had been staring at the soon-to-be co-ruler of Equestria. Now that the object of her gawking was no longer in sight she was forced back to reality. Minuette turned to Starswirl and gave him an inquisitive look.

“Celestia has been out looking for the Elements of Harmony. Sadly, this is not the worst state I’ve seen her in. I’m just glad she came back uninjured.” There was a hint of relief in his voice.

“I just didn’t know that she could get dirty. She was always perfect and pristine when I saw her.” Minuette tried to remember the last time she saw Celestia with a spot of dirt on her coat, and she couldn’t.

“Unlike what the vast majority of her subjects think, she’s a pony too, just like us. She can get dirty, she can get hurt, and she has feelings, so keep your quips to yourself.” He said with a stern look to the young mare.

Minuette held back a snicker, she did have a few jokes about the alicorn and dirt, but she would keep them to herself anyway. Celestia was a pony that Minuette respected deeply, and not only because she was a nearly godlike being that was about to attempt seizing control of a nation, but because Minuette had grown to know her on a more personal level than the average pony. She hadn’t gotten into Celestia’s emotions or her thought patterns, but she’d know what choices she’d make in certain political situations.

“Fine, I won’t say anything.” She calmed down with a hoof over her muzzle.

“Oh, that was exquisite.” Said a relaxed Celestia as she walked back into the main room with a towel drying her ethereal mane. “I was told that you had a new spell to show me, and I’d much like to get back to my search.” Celestia said in an eager tone.

“Yes. Minuette here has discovered a new spell that may be of use to us in the future. She can successfully stop time.” The stallion explained to Celestia. “I believe that this may be of use to the kingdom in the future.”

“What is the spell and how does one use it?” Asked Celestia as she thought about the implications of such a spell.

“Well, we haven’t exactly explored the specifics. It may take a few months to work out any kinks and understand the spell before it could be used recreationally.” Starswirl clarified.

“We may not have that much time.” Celestia thought aloud, more to herself than to the other ponies in the room.

“Princess?” Asked the stallion, concerned for what may be troubling his ruler.

“There is something that I may need Minuette to do.” Celestia had a look of determination on her muzzle, showing how serious the matter was.

“What is it you need me to do?” Minuette bowed, ready to serve her duty to her country.

“Discord has issued a challenge to me and my sister.” There was a look of shock on Minuette and Starswirls faces. “The challenge is that we would put two beings against each other. Whoever’s champion wins the duel will be the new ruler of the kingdom.”

Suddenly Minuette’s visage was a mask of realization. Celestia was not only entrusting the fate of a duel, she was now responsible for the future of the nation.

She smiled brightly with a mischievous twinkle in her eye as one thought came forth.

‘Oh, this is going to be fun.’

Author's Note:

hello, readers, nice to see you once again! this is chapter 8 and i know it's been a while, but i'll try to get them out faster. my life's been throwing me curve-ball after curve-ball and i've been trying my best to balance work, fun, and writing, which isn't as easy as i first thought it would be.

please tell me what you thought in the comments, ask any questions, and if you disliked and for some reason kept reading to this point, please tell me why. i have 13 dislikes right now and only 1 of them has actually told me what they didn't like.

until next time!
GS