• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 15,215 Views, 2,051 Comments

Equestrian Epona - Shritistrang



What does a horse do when it finds out that it's actually from a world inhabited by intelligent equines? And when she gets the choice, where would she decide to live?

  • ...
37
 2,051
 15,215

Seed Sisters

"2 more hours and we're in Manehattan, girls," Applejack said. "No time for sightseeing. We'll be meeting Daring Do and Coco there and then plan our next steps."

"Who are you telling this?" Rainbow Dash asked. "I know what we have to do. Do you think I would waste time with sightseeing when Rarity needs our help?"

"Well, just wanted to make sure. After all, there's this museum of aeronautics we're passing on our way to the harbor."

"Wh-why would you think I'd be interested in something like that?" Rainbow muttered.

"I knew it! Your ear was twitchin' right now!" Applejack shouted.

"Was not! Besides, what does that have to do with anything?" Rainbow shouted back.

"You always do that when yer excited. And when I just mentioned that museum, you were more excited than a fruit bat during harvest season."

"I… don't know what you're talking about," Rainbow huffed. "I know better than to let myself distracted by such… cool… airships and everything…"

I was barely paying attention to the discussion my daughter was having with her pegasus friend. I was looking out of the window, observing the Equestrian landscape as the train went by. I knew this track very well. And after all these years, not very much had changed. Still, even after spending one entire day in Ponyville, my thoughts always went back to Hyrule.

Applejack must have noticed I was brooding, as she came over to me and asked: "What's on yer mind, Mom?"

"It's… it's nothing," I said.

"You're not a very good liar. C'mon… what's bothering you?" She sat down next to me.

I sighed. There really was no point in lying to this filly, was there? "It's difficult," I finally said. "I know this is my home. I would never want to leave you or Big Mac or Apple Bloom ever again. I have friends and family here. But… I've spent so many years in Hyrule, too. And all these years, my life in Equestria seemed like a dream to me. I was just a work horse, but I still had friends there. Now I wonder, where do I truly belong? Hyrule or Equestria? Could I really live for very long in one of these worlds while giving up the other?"

"I see what ya mean," Applejack said. "I can't really say I know what it's like, having lived in two different worlds like you have. But then again, I never really try to think too much about these things. I always follow the feelings in my gut."

I raised my eyebrow and looked at her. "Your… gut?"

"My feelings, Mom. That's how I always decide what to do. I'm not a great problem solver or thinker like Twilight, and definitely not a reckless hothead like Rainbow…"

"Hey!"

She smirked. "But I know one thing. I'm happy when I know the ponies I know are happy. Family, friends, you name it. So, what you wanna do, that's really up to you. Just listen to the feeling in yer guts, Mom."

She playfully poked my ribs and I had to chuckle. "You've really grown up, Applejack. And not just in body."

She blushed. "Well, I pretty much had to. With you and Dad gone, someone had to take charge on the farm. You know Big Mac's not very good at organizing stuff. Granny's getting not any younger and Apple Bloom's too young…"

"Hey, I'm not too young!" the seat underneath me suddenly said. "I am a big pony!"

Rainbow Dash fluttered over to us. "Did you guys hear that?" The three of us looked down.

"Dangit, Apple Bloom! Why the hay did you do that?" another voice said.

Rainbow blinked. "Scootaloo?"

Sheepishly, the Cutie Mark Crusaders crawled out from under my seat, Scootaloo with a nervous grin on her face. "Oh, um… hey, Rainbow Dash! Don't tell me you're going to Manehattan, too. What a coincidence!"

Rainbow facehooved. "Scoots…"

"Didn't I tell you girls to stay at home where it's safe?" I crossed my forelegs and gave them a stern look.

"Yeah, but Mom… How come you and Applejack get to go on this amazing adventure and I have to stay behind? That's not fair!"

"No buts! I'm very disappointed, young filly!" I frowned.

"Wait a second there, Mom." Applejack put a hoof on her little sister's shoulder. "Sugarcube… listen. It's not that Mom wanted to leave ya behind… she's just worried about y'all."

"But you know I can take care of myself, sis," Apple Bloom said. "You can tell her, right?"

"We can come along and help," Sweetie Belle spoke up. "I know everything there is to know about my sister. I can find her faster than any tracking dog." And as if she wanted to prove it to us, she started sniffing around on the floor of the car. It would have been adorable if the whole situation wasn't so serious.

"Apple Bloom, listen… I know you and your friends mean well, but… well… you are just little children. I can't look after you all the time and there's really not much you can do to help…"

"Sure there is!" she interrupted me, sounding very upset. "Sis, tell her how I delivered a whole cart of pie through a fire swamp, past a dangerous chimera."

"Now honey, you can't just make up stories like that…" I tried to protest.

"Actually…" Applejack raised her hoof. "She's kind of… telling the truth."

"Well, that's no reason for her to… what?" I couldn't believe my ears in that moment. "What did she do?"

"She managed to trick a full-grown chimera," Applejack said. "Completely took me by surprise, too. She hid the cart, made the beast trip over its own tail and all the while, she avoided the fire geysers."

I looked at my youngest daughter with disbelief. "You did all of that… on your own?"

"I sure did," she nodded. "Okay, maybe I had a liiiitle bit of help from Applejack, but she showed up much later. So I'm not as useless as you think. And my friends can help too."

"Yeah, I even brought my scooter," Scootaloo said as she pulled her little vehicle out from under the seat. "There's nopony faster on wheels than me."

"Hate to admit it, but she's right," Rainbow nodded. "She can also pull the coolest tricks on that thing. And by the way, these squirts are not dumb or anything. They know when they're in way over their head. Right?" She winked at the fillies.

Scootaloo nodded. "Sure. We won't be in the way, promise."

"And we'll help however we can," Sweetie Belle added.

"We give you this promise as the Cutie Mark Crusaders!" Apple Bloom agreed.

I still wasn't convinced. These fillies knew nothing about the dangers Link and I had been in. But then again, it's not like we were going up against Ganondorf, right? So with a heavy sigh I said: "All right, you can come with us."

The three fillies immediately started cheering, but I raised my hoof. "But when I think for one moment that the situation might be too much for the three of you to handle, I'll send you right back home and you won't complain. Do you understand?"

"Yes Mom, thanks! Yer the best!" Apple Bloom shouted as she hugged me.

"I still don't think this is a good idea," I muttered to Applejack.

"When they're with us, we can keep at least an eye on them. And what were you going to do? Send them home on their own? You know they would have come after us at the first chance they get," Applejack said.

"Who, us?" Apple Bloom smiled. "We wouldn't dream of it."

I knew it had to be my imagination, but for a moment I could have sworn there were three little halos floating over the heads of the three smiling fillies.


"Wow!" Sweetie Belle shouted. "Manehattan is so… so…" I could see the wheels in her head turning as she tried coming up with a word.

"Big?" Scootaloo suggested.

"Yeah, that's it," Sweetie nodded. "BIG!"

"Where do we go first? I wanna see everything!" Apple Bloom shouted as she ran around in circles.

I sighed. That's what I had been afraid of. "Girls, focus! If you want to be a part of this, you can't let yourselves get distracted. All our attention needs to be turned to the mission."

"OH! The mission! I almost forgot!" Sweetie Belle gasped. "I'll try to find Rarity's scent… Lucky thing I know exactly what kind of perfume Rarity uses on Mondays."

"It's Tuesday," Apple Bloom remarked.

"I.. knew that," Sweetie insisted as she was about to go back in full tracking dog mode.

"Sugarcube, we already know where Rarity was taken," Applejack said. "The harbor."

"Well, why didn't you say so right away?" Sweetie pouted. "Now how am I supposed to get my cutie mark in… in… whatever it is those dogs do when they sniff for a person."

I rolled my eyes while Rainbow and Applejack exchanged a chuckle. "Come along now, children," I sighed as I started walking. "The harbor's this way."

The children followed close behind me, but I saw how their eyes tried to take in everything they saw. I could tell that this was their very first time in Manehattan. The huge crowd, the many cabs, the tall buildings, everything seemed to take their attention at once.

"D'ya know yer way round here, Mom?" Apple Bloom asked curiously as she scampered after me.

"Of course, honey. I was born here. Did Granny Smith never tell you?" I asked.

"Well, I know we have family here, but I didn't know it was your side of the family," she said. "Now that I mention it, it's a mighty big shame that we have no time to visit Babs…"

"Cuz?"

I stopped when I saw how Apple Bloom did the same. I wanted to urge her to hurry along, but then I saw the other earth pony filly she was staring at, maybe one or two years older than her, but still a blank flank. Wait, what did she just call her?

"Babs? Is that you?" Scootaloo shouted excitedly.

"What are you gals doing here?" Babs gasped as she ran at our small group. "If I had known you'd come to visit… why didn't you write?"

"Babs!" Apple Bloom shouted with glee as she gave her cousin a hug. "I never thought we'd run into you here. Ya see, we've got this big important mission and we're here with Rainbow Dash and my big sis and my Mom to save Rarity and my Mom's friend and…"

"Whoa, slow down there, cuz!" Babs shouted. "What did you just say? Your Mom?"

Apple Bloom nodded and pointed a hoof at me. "There she is. Isn't that great? Come over and say hello!" And she pulled the other filly towards me.

As for me, I was stunned. Of course I knew Babs Seed. However, just like Apple Bloom, my niece might not even remember what I looked like, since she was just a little foal when I was last saw her. But seeing her didn't really worry me. What worried me more was the fact that if Babs was here, so was her mother. And her mother was none other than…

"Babs?" a loud voice shouted from down the street. "Barbara Orange Seed, what did I tell you about running off on your own? And who's that you're talking to? Haven't I taught you not to talk to strangers… wait… Apple Bloom?"

"Hiya, auntie!" Apple Bloom waved. "Surprised to see me?"

"Very surprised. What are you doing here… and Applejack… and…" The mare's eyes widened as she saw me and she went as white as a sheet. "H-holy Celestia and Luna…"

"Um… hello there… sis…" I said. I couldn't think of anything else.

My sister Clementine gave off a short sigh as her eyes rolled up into her head and she fell over.

"MOM!" Babs shouted.

"Mom, Auntie Orange fainted," Apple Bloom said.

"Oh boy," Applejack sighed. "This day just keeps getting better and better… all right, everypony, listen! Rainbow Dash, you take along Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle and meet up with Coco and Daring at the harbor. Apple Bloom, you and Mom help me getting your aunt home."

"It's not far from here," Babs said. "We live just around the corner and across the next street. Dad's not home yet, but I got the keys."

"Can't we go with Apple Bloom?" Scootaloo asked.

"Sorry, Scoots," Apple Bloom sighed. "But I guess this is once again family business."

I was very surprised at how mature Apple Bloom was handling the whole situation. Then I remembered that I should probably help picking my sister up from the ground. Together, Babs and Apple Bloom put her on my back.

"Will you guys be okay?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Applejack nodded. "We'll be fine, just say we need a bit more time to come after you. Let Coco tell you what she saw and meet us at the old lighthouse. We'll try to make it quick."

"Okay… see you guys later," Rainbow nodded and waved the two fillies after her. "Come on, squirts!"

Applejack helped me carrying Clementine as we followed Babs to their home. "I guess this wasn't how you imagined your reunion with Aunt Orange to be, was it, Mom?"

"No, not at all," I sighed. "But one thing I'm definitely certain of."

"And what's that?"

I grunted. "My sister sure gained a lot of weight in the years I was gone."


Clementine Orange slowly opened her eyes and saw the ceiling of her apartment, as well as the worried eyes of her daughter Babs. "Mom? Are you feeling better?"

"Oh dear… Mommy's fine, honey, she just has a terrible headache… I also had this strange dream where I saw that your aunt had risen from the dead…"

"Well… I'm not exactly dead," I said from her left.

Clementine sat up and looked at me. Her eyes widened yet again, and for a moment I was worried she'd faint again. She stared at me and opened her mouth as wide as she could. Then she closed it again. "E… Epona?"

"Yup, it's me," I said with a sheepish smirk. "Um, surprise?"

"But… but how is this possible?" She extended a hoof and poked me, always as if she was afraid I might disappear from her touch. "The meteor… I was at the funeral… I saw your gravestone…"

"That grave is empty, Aunt Orange," Applejack said. "We never found her body."

"You… what?" Her stare wandered from me to my daughter. "You never told us that! How could you not tell us something like that?"

"We thought it wasn't important," Applejack said defensively. "We all thought she was dead, too. How were we supposed to know that this meteor didn't kill her, but instead transported her to another dimension?"

"Another WHAT?" The stare was focussed back on me. And then she poked me some more. "Epona… it's… it's really you? You're back?"

"It's me, Clemmy," I said. "And yes, I'm back."

Babs then had to cover her ears as her mother let out the loudest squeal she had heard her make in her life. "EPONA! Ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh it's you! It's really YOU! Epooonaaaaaaaa!" She embraced me in a grip that felt like she wanted to squeeze the life out of me and started bawling her eyes out. "I missed you sohohohoho muhuhuhuuuuuuch!"

"Um… Clemmy… it's all right… I'm not going anywhere… calm down…"

"Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Auntie Orange cry like this before," Apple Bloom said. "Have you, Babs?"

Her cousin shook her head. "Never. Sure, she was a bit sad when her goldfish died, but not like this."

I felt how Clementine's body tensed up when she heard this. She quickly let go of me, visibly embarrassed. She hesitantly extended a hoof and patted me on my back. "Erm… I mean… very glad to have you back, sister." I fought back a snortle when I looked at her. Her hair was a mess and her mascara was running. It was very touching to see how much she actually cared for me, but it was also funny to see my usually prim and proper sister in such a state. I couldn't stop a smirk from appearing on my face.

"What's so funny?" she frowned.

"Your mane!" I giggled.

Clementine turned her head and looked into a mirror. She then gasped, wiped her eyes and straightened her hair as good as she could. Apple Bloom and Babs shared a chuckle.

When she was finished, she turned her attention back to me. "But Epona… where WERE you? What did you do in all those years? What happened to your cutie mark? And…" She frowned. "Why did you never think of giving your poor family a message of your whereabouts? I mean, do you have any idea how distraught Mother and Father were when they thought their elder daughter died?"

I had to grimace at that. "Mom and Dad… Were they ever interested in anything besides making me the heir of their company? Or marrying me off to rich stallions? I doubt they cried that much when they were at the funeral."

"Come to think of it, I don't actually remember seeing them at the funeral," Applejack said.

"Applejack, your grandparents are very busy ponies," Clementine said sternly. "They simply didn't have the time to come all the way to Ponyville that day. And of course they were sad, why wouldn't they? They care a lot for their family members, especially their own daughter."

"Really? Then why didn't Gramps and Gramma didn't come to my birthday last year?" Babs frowned.

"Hush, honey! The grown ponies are speaking."

Both Applejack and I gritted our teeth when we noticed how Clementine was talking to her daughter. I mean, sure I was worried for Apple Bloom and didn't want her to come along on our adventure. But she was still my daughter and I would always listen to her. I saw that my sister obviously didn't think this way and I felt sorry for Babs. At this moment, Clementine reminded me more than ever of our parents.

"Well, now you know I'm not dead," I said as I got up to my feet. "We won't be taking any more of your valuable time, sis. We have some friends to save… see ya around."

"Epona Arancia Seed!" Clementine shouted. I winced when I heard my birth name for the first time after fourteen years. "That is no way to behave. I just cried tears of happiness when I found out that you were alive and you… you just walk out of the door as if you have something better to do than talking to your sister."

"Actually, I have," I said as I looked back at her. "I need to get to the harbor and find out where my friend disappeared to. A very close friend, I might add. And if I don't find him soon, he might die. Not that you were ever worried about something like that in your life."

Babs whistled. "Wow, Mom! Auntie sure told you!"

Apple Bloom grinned. "Yeah, my Mom's the best."

For a moment, Babs looked like she wanted to protest, but then she shrugged. "Can't argue with that."

"Babs Seed!" Clementine snapped. "I thought I told you to be quiet."

"See what you're doing?" I said as I turned back around to face her. "The poor girl has done nothing besides speaking her mind, and you scold her for that. Babs is still young, why don't you give the filly a bit more space?"

"Mom and giving me space? Yeah right," Babs snorted. "You're talking about the pony who got shocked when I told her I wanted to join my new school's boxing club. Ya know, to learn some self-defense…"

"We talked about that, Babs. I won't have my daughter running around like a ruffian who gets into fistfights with boys," Clementine said. "I mean honestly, what good will that do?"

"You mean besides helping me when I socked that Diamond Dog who wanted to mug me right in the kisser?" my feisty little niece asked.

"BABS!" Clementine was visibly shocked. "Stop using such language in front of your little cousin!"

Apple Bloom shrugged. "Meh, I've heard worse from Granny."

"Come on, kids. We're leaving," I said. "Let's not risk our friends' lives while my sister is worried she might faint from hearing crude language. Goodbye, Clemmy. And to answer your question where I've been these years: I've been travelling through a faraway land, fighting monsters that wanted the death of me and my friends every day. Stay here in your idyllic little world while I do something that actually helps ponies."

Not wasting another word, I walked towards the door. It opened before I could touch it.

"Honey, I'm… home?"

"Hello, Tango," I said to Tangerine Orange, my sister's husband. "Nice to see you again. Bye for now." And I walked right past him, my daughters following me.

After we left, Tango looked at his wife and daughter in confusion. "Honey, that mare just now… wasn't that…"

"Dad, you just missed how I met the coolest aunt I ever had," Babs grinned.