• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 15,187 Views, 2,051 Comments

Equestrian Epona - Shritistrang



What does a horse do when it finds out that it's actually from a world inhabited by intelligent equines? And when she gets the choice, where would she decide to live?

  • ...
37
 2,051
 15,187

A new morning in Ponyville

I awoke to the sound of loud crowing. With a groan, I buried my head in the pile of hay I was lying on. "Noooo… leave the cuccos alone, Link… I wanna sleep some more… Malon, make him stop…"

"What are you talking about, Epona?" I heard Link's voice mumble next to me.

Then I realized… that wasn't a cucco. That was the crow of an Equestrian rooster… and it was the same beautiful sound I heard whenever it was time to get up and get the chores done… way back, in a better time, living with my family on the farm…

"Oh my gosh!" I explained as I jumped to my feet and looked outside the barn.

It was the most beautiful view ever. The sun was slowly crawling up the sky, shining her light down on endless rows of apple trees. Then there were the farmhouse, the toolshed, the entrance to the apple cellar…

I was home. For the first time in a very, very long time, I woke up in the only place I could ever call my true home: Sweet Apple Acres.

I trotted outside and took a deep breath of air. After all the time, it was still the same, fresh and pristine, smelling like freshly-picked apples. Once more, I thanked all the goddesses I could think of for this gift, this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to start over.

I heard an annoyed grumble when behind me, Link turned around into a more comfortable position on the hay. His leg was still bandaged, but the wound was getting better quickly. Unlike Daring Do, who had to stay in the hospital for some time, Link's wounds weren't too serious, so the doctor allowed him to leave. And as soon as he arrived on Sweet Apple Acres to inform me about it, my whole family invited him to stay as long as he wanted. He was now a close friend of the family. However, when he was invited to sleep in Big Mac's bed, he refused. Back in Hyrule, he had slept in the barn every time he visited Lon Lon Ranch, always keeping me company. And he wasn't about to be a bother when he could do the same here. Upon hearing that, I decided to sleep in the barn as well.

I trotted back inside the barn and nudged him with my head. "C'mon, sleepyhead! Do we have to go through this routine every day?"

"Not if you let me sleep for once," Link grumbled. "You must know by now that I'm not a morning person… or pony."

Behind me, Big Mac trotted towards the toolshed to gather an apple cart. "Mornin', mother," he said in his shortspoken way.

"Good morning, son," I said with a big smile on my face. "Getting ready to buck the morning round of apples?"

He nodded as he attached the cart to his harness. "Eeyup."

"How can you country folk be so chipper this early in the morning?" Link groaned. "Malon's the same…"

I smirked. "Well, that's how it's done here on the farm. The chores must be done early. And the apples of the day must be picked by the time the market begins."

"Okay, but can't that be done with a bit less noise?" Link muttered as Big Mac pulled the clattering cart past the barn door. "How's a guy supposed to sleep like this?"

"Yer sure yer not secretly related to Rainbow Dash?" Applejack snickered as she walked up to me. "Every time I ask her to help with the chores, she says she's busy nappin'."

"Well, she's a smart pony then," Link said as he covered his ears with hay.

"Land sakes, for a brave and strong hero, he sure likes to take his time in the morning," Applejack chuckled. "Did ya sleep well, Mom?"

"Yes, thank you," I nodded. "It felt really good to finally spend a night on this farm again."

"Trust me, Mom, this will be just the first of many nights," Applejack said. "Now you two enjoy an easy morning and some breakfast while I go help Big Mac with the bucking."

"Let me help you kids," I said. "It's been a long time and your mom wants to know if she still got what it takes to bring down some apples." I gave her a cocky grin and kicked my hind legs out to demonstrate my eagerness.

"But it's your first time on the farm in a long time," Applejack said. "Also, there's still a lot of Ponyville you have to show your friend. And if you start helping now, there might not be enough time for everything."

"I know," I sighed. "I just wanted to get back into my old life as quickly as possible and forgot about Link for a moment. Oh well, maybe it's better that way. I was never as good as your father when it comes to bucking."

"You still have plenty enough chances after today," Applejack smiled. "But if you really wanna help, why don't you take Apple Bloom to school? I bet she'd really enjoy that."

Taking my lovely seedling to school? That brightened my day even more than the beautiful sunset. "All right, I'll do that. But first, breakfast."

"Good, cause Granny made some pie for you. Better get it while it's warm." She winked and galloped off to help her brother.

Now I remembered another thing I missed deeply while I was gone: The scent and taste of freshly baked apple pie in the morning. I quickly ran back inside the barn, gave Link another shove with my head and shouted: "Up to your hooves already, slowpoke! You better get up right now if you want some pie."


Twilight was sitting at her desk when Zelda came downstairs, sleepily. "Good mo…" She yawned. "Oh, excuse me."

Twilight smiled. "Good morning, Zelda. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, but this was the first time I ever slept in a library… it's so unusual, not having to rely on servants for once." She then got startled when a young dragon popped up next to her.

"Hi, I'm Spike," he said. "I didn't get any chance to introduce myself yesterday. I'm Twilight's assistant… can I get you anything? Some breakfast, maybe?"

"Oh… hello, Spike. Yes, some breakfast would be lovely," the alicorn smiled.

"You got it," Spike said as he eagerly ran into the kitchen.

"So much for not having someone serving me," Zelda giggled. "He's a cute one. Twilight, how about we have breakfast together?"

"Now that you mention it, I am kind of hungry," Twilight admitted. "I guess my research can wait."

Just as the two princesses were about to head into the kitchen, Spike came back out, carrying a large sack. "Breakfast is on the table, your Highnesses," he grinned. "Let me just bring out the trash, okay?" He quickly went outside.

"He's so eager," Zelda noticed.

"Yeah, that's Spike. Always happy to be of service," Twilight giggled. "I don't know what I'd do without him. But sometimes, I have the feeling he's taking his job a bit too seriously. He's still a baby dragon after all, young and easy to worry and scare…"

"Whaaaaaaah!" came a loud shout from outside.

"That's Spike!" Twilight shouted in surprise. Together with Zelda, she ran to the door.

Spike was standing outside, shaking like a leaf, while a short blade was aimed at him. "Princess, I must report an intruder," the pony holding it said. "Looks like a small Dinolfos, maybe even a dragon. What are your orders?"

"Impa, leave the poor guy alone. Don't you see he's scared out of his wits? Besides, he's completely harmless," Zelda said.

"That's right," Twilight nodded. "Spike wouldn't harm a fly. Now put down that weapon already."

The Sheikah sheathed her blade. "As you command, Highnesses!"

"I think my heart stopped…" Spike muttered. "I think I need to go to the bathroom… please excuse me…" He quickly ran back inside.

Zelda sighed. "Impa… where did you even come from?"

"I am your loyal servant and bodyguard, princess. I go wherever you're going. I followed you yesterday when you and Princess Twilight left Canterlot and went to Ponyville."

"You did? I didn't see you anywhere," Twilight said in surprise.

"You wouldn't. I'm a Sheikah. We are the protectors of the royal family, always hiding in the shadows. When the princess decided to spend the night here, I put up camp in the treetop. That seemed the best place to keep an eye out for trouble."

"You spent the whole night by yourself, in the cold?" Twilight asked. "I could have easily slept in the couch and leave the second bed to you."

"You are very generous, but that would be inconceivable," Impa said. "You are the princesses and I am a mere servant."

"But that's not right," Twilight frowned. "Even Spike sleeps in his own little basket. Would you at least come inside and join us for breakfast?"

"That won't be necessary. Really, I should go back on guard…"

"Impa!" Zelda said sternly. "As your princess, I order you to join me and Princess Twilight for a nice and enjoyable breakfast."

The Sheikah closed her mouth and bowed her head. "If that's your order, I shall accompany you." Loyally, she went inside.

"You have to excuse her," Zelda said. "But sometimes, I have to give her commands like this to ensure she even eats and sleeps."

"Looks like another one takes her duties a bit too serious at times," Twilight noted.


Fluttershy opened her windows widely as she welcomed the day… as well as her little animal friends who lived with her. "Good morning, little friends," she smiled. "Looks like it's going to be a wonderful day today, don't you think?"

The answer was a happy chorus of chirps, squeaks and growls as all of her critters tried to welcome her at once. But suddenly, the chorus was interrupted by the angry chatter of the two sea otters that lived underneath the bridge that went over the small pond in front of her river.

"Oh my goodness!" Fluttershy gasped as she flew outside. "What's the matter, you two?"

As she looked underneath the bridge, she let out a frightened yelp as she saw something big lying there, half-submerged in the water. This was none of her animal friends, she knew all of them by heart, and this looked nothing like any of them. "Wh-what is that?" she stuttered nervously.

The blue, scaly creature then began to stir. Fluttershy eeped and ducked her head as the scary monster raised her head out of the water to yawn… it was only then that she recognized her guest. "R-ruto, is that you?"

"Of course it's me," the seapony muttered groggily. "Who else? Sheesh, must these animals make such a ruckus? They woke me up."

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry about that… but you see, um, you kind of… intruded in their home," Fluttershy pointed out.

"Well, where else was I supposed to sleep?" Ruto grumbled. "Link and Epona are staying at the farm, Zelda was taken in by that librarian princess and Saria met a striped horse at the edge of the forest who invited her. I don't have anyone I could stay with, except you! You're the only one in this town I know. You wouldn't let a poor, lonely princess sleep on the street, would you?"

"Oh no, of course not," Fluttershy said. "It's just that, well, the pond is awfully small and…"

"But it's the biggest body of water nearby," Ruto said. "Where else was I supposed to sleep? I'm a Zora, we need water. Surely those little weasels can make a bit room so I have my own personal space, yes?"

"Actually, they are otters and… never mind… I guess now that you're here, you might as well stay. Um, would you like some breakfast?"

"That would be delightful," Ruto said as she rose from the pond. "I'd like some Hylian Loach with caviar and some oysters. Prepare everything while I make myself presentable." She came out of the water and strode past the yellow pegasus, disappearing behind the cottage.

Angel Bunny hopped up on his owner's back as he started chattering angrily.

"I know, Angel," Fluttershy sighed. "But she's a guest, and a stranger in Equestria. If I don't make her feel welcomed, who will? Now, let me quickly go to the market… I don't think we have any caviar in the pantry…"

Angel put a paw on his forehead and sighed. Sometimes, his owner could be such a pushover…


"This is gonna be sooo amazing!" Apple Bloom cheered as she skipped alongside her mother to school. "I'm gonna show you to all of my friends in school and then they can all finally see what a great mom I've got."

I felt nothing but warm and fuzzy feelings as I accompanied my youngest daughter to school… for the first time in my life. I did my best not to get as excited as the little seedling. "Remember, I'm just bringing you to school," I smiled. "I can't stay the whole morning. What would your teacher – What was her name again?"

"Miss Cheerilee!" Apple Bloom said.

"Right, what would she say if you weren't able to focus on her classes?"

"Ah, who cares about those boring old classes?" Apple Bloom said, rolling her eyes. "I bet she's gonna be excited to meet you, too."

We reached the school building. It still looked the same as I remembered, back when I brought Big Macintosh and Applejack to school.

"C'mon, lemme introduce you to my friends," Apple Bloom shouted as she ran ahead.

"But I've already met them," I said. "You'd think I'd remember a pair of fillies that accompanied us on our rescue mission."

"Yeah, but I mean all my other friends. Twist and Pipsqueak and Truffle and Dinky… they've never met you before."

"All right then, I'll say hello before I go back home," I smiled.

However, the first young pony we met was a pink-colored filly wearing a tiara. As soon as she saw us, she trotted towards us with an expression of determination. She was followed by one stallion I wasn't really keen on seeing again.

Apple Bloom seemed to share my sentiments. "Oh great," she groaned. "Here come Diamond Tiara and her daddy."

"That's her, Daddy!" Diamond Tiara shouted, pointing her hoof at me. "That's the mean old mare that hit me." I gritted my teeth when hearing that. Old mare?

"I see," the stallion said in a calm voice. "Now don't worry, sweetie, Daddy will take care of this." He cleared his throat as he stepped in front of me. "So. One face I never expected to see again… Epona Apple."

I frowned. "Filthy Rich…"

"I must say I'm quite surprised to see you again… but while I'm very curious about where you've been these past years, that's really none of my business. It is of my business, however, when my daughter comes home with a swollen cheek, claiming a 'mean lady' on the streets hit her. Is there anything you can tell me about this?"

I could have told him I had no idea what she was talking about. Except for our two daughters and their friends, there were no other witnesses. I could have easily said that he has no proof other than his daughter's claims. But I decided against it.

"She's right," I said. "I gave her a slap. But I did it for a reason."

I watched him narrow his brows. He was obviously very upset, but managed to restrain himself. "Whatever reason could there be for you to hit a child, Mrs. Apple?"

"Simple," I said. "She said something very hurtful to my youngest daughter. She insulted her family by saying that we are unable to afford new clothing and on top of that, she insinuated that she had no parents. I must add that this happened just before I arrived at the scene, and Apple Bloom had no idea yet that I was there."

"Diamond Tiara," Filthy Rich turned his head to look at his daughter. "Is this true?"

The filly didn't seem to be too happy about the direction the conversation was heading. "W-well… yes… but it's true, isn't it? I mean, why wouldn't they wear other things now and then if they didn't have enough money to buy other stuff? Also, how was I supposed to know she was her mother?"

"Enough! Diamond Tiara, go to your class right now. We will talk about this when you get home," he sternly said.

"But… but Daaaad…"

"No buts! I'm very disappointed with you, young filly. Now go."

Diamond Tiara winced at the harshness in her father's voice and decided not to protest anymore.

Filthy Rich watched his daughter go inside, then he turned back to look at me. "While my daughter did something inexcusable, you still had no right to hit her. I don't know what sort of mannerism you teach your children, but I always tell Diamond Tiara that violence is not an answer. The only reason why I've decided not to report you for child abuse is that the injury was very minor. And even though I now understand you, I still must ask you: What in the name of Luna and Celestia compelled you to hit my child, Epona?" He angrily shouted that last part, loud enough that several children who just arrived at school turned their heads to look at us.

"H-hey, stop it," Apple Bloom shouted. "She didn't do anything wrong."

I sighed. "No, Apple Bloom. He's right. Hitting her was something I shouldn't have done. My feelings back then got the better of me."

"Well, at least I see you're reasonable," Filthy Rich said. His voice went back to normal.

I took a deep breath. "Listen, I… I'd like to tell you the whole reason for this. In private. Do you have some time?"

He nodded, and I turned towards my daughter. "Sorry, seedling. I'll meet your friends and teacher some other day… but this is important. You understand?"

"Okay, Mom," she said in a voice so disappointed that I had to use all my willpower to stay firm. "But you'll pick me up from school in the afternoon, right?"

"Of course I will," I said. "Now run along. The bell already rung."

Together, Filthy and I went to a small café where we sat down at a table and each ordered a small coffee. When the waiter left, Filthy looked at me expectantly.

I felt I owed him an explanation, so I said: "Well… where do I begin? As you can see, I am not as dead as my family or any pony expected. Instead, I was… gone. I was in a place you probably never heard of before. And for the longest time, I was unable to get home. I assure you, I would have taken any chance to see my family again, if that wasn't the case."

"I won't question your love for your family," he said in a calm voice. "I know you never liked me that much, but you must know that my family has a long history of doing business with your family. And Granny Smith is a close acquaintance. I have a lot of respect for her, and her grandchildren. Especially after you and your husband… disappeared. It must have been hard for them."

"It was also hard for me," I said. "Being trapped in that other world, seeing them every night in my dreams without being able to actually go to them…" I decided not to tell him about my transformation into a common workhorse and that for the longest time, I didn't even know that my dreams were reality. "And suddenly, I was back. Can you imagine how I felt?"

"You must have been overjoyed, I imagine."

I closed my eyes for a moment. "Do you know what my last thoughts were before I left this world? I was sad that I'd never see my little seedling, Apple Bloom, grow older, get her cutie mark, find a job, get married… and now, the chance to see all this come true was given to me. I was back in Ponyville, saw her standing in front of Sugarcube Corner with her friends… and then what happened? Your daughter and her friend appeared and started taunting her. Calling her names because of her lack of a cutie mark. And worst of all: Mocking her because she lost her parents. That's one of the worst things a young filly could ever be told! So yes, I overreacted when I slapped her. But it was because it was the first thing I saw after coming back, and because it was insinuating that I wasn't there. That I couldn't… be there for her."

"I think I understand," Filthy Rich nodded, a serious expression on his face. "Under normal circumstances, I would still be angry for that kind of action. But as a parent myself, I understand completely why you did it."

"But tell me one thing, Filthy," I said, looking back up at him. "If you're such a good parent, why is your daughter acting like this? My daughter told me this wasn't the first time she bullied her. She teased her about her blank flank, harassed her and her friends and even made fun of a young pegasus' inability to fly."

Filthy let out a deep sigh. "I won't make up any excuses for her behavior. I always try to tell her that our community is built upon comradeship and teamwork. But… it's not easy. Often, she doesn't listen to me anymore. And my work barely gives me any time to spend with her, so she's always surrounded with only servants. I was very glad when I heard that she made a friend in Silver Spoon, but it got worse when she convinced her to go along with her behavior. Often enough, I've asked Miss Cheerilee for help. But she's just a teacher and can only do so much. I really don't know what I can do to reach my little sweetie again. I love her more than anything and I know she loves me. She just doesn't listen to me. Not since her mother…" He became very silent all of a sudden. He picked up one of the napkins lying on the table and wiped his eye.

Now I understood as well. His wife, Diamond Tiara's mother… something must have happened to her. Maybe she left him, maybe she even died. I wasn't going to ask him further. But this must be the reason why Diamond Tiara became so bitter and spiteful towards everypony. Now I felt sorry for every mean thought I had about Filthy Rich and his family.

"Filthy… maybe we can start over," I said. "If you and Granny Smith get along so well with each other… maybe we can as well. And maybe, given some time, we find a way that our children start to like each other."

I could tell her certainly did not expect that. He looked at me in surprise. "I… that is… yes. Yes, I'd like that. Thank you, Epona. And please… call me Rich."

I smiled. "Sure thing, Rich."