• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 33,557 Views, 168 Comments

Learn to Fly (Derpy's Tale) - Ganondox



An unofficial sequel to "Bubbles" where Derpy proves she is radically different than she a

  • ...
14
 168
 33,557

Part 1: Bubbles

A story that I wrote when I was just a filly, called “Bubbles”, has been leaked to the public. Ever since it was released everypony has been giving me strange looks and a few have been asking me if I’m alright and similar stuff. I’m quite all right now, thank you very much, that was a long time ago. I’ve changed quite a bit since then, and I feel that now I am obligated to give the whole story behind “Bubbles”, the story of my life. So here it is, starting off from the end of that dreaded narrative.

***

There I was in the Everfree Forest, making bubbles, blissfully unaware of what was going on around, unaware of how my mother had left. Soon it was night, and only then did I begin to notice that something was amiss, as my father had not come back yet and the sky had already turned orange and then black. However, being the naive creature I was at the time, I did not get worried and I continued to play with the bubble wand. I sat there happily until I heard a loud voice that said something along these lines:

“My, what’s a little filly like you doing all alone in the Everfree Forest at this hour?”

The voice startled me and I dropped the bubble wand. I turned around and saw who was speaking, a grown Earth pony with an amber coat and a red mane. Her mane was held in a neat little bun and she had a cutie mark of a green plant with three red berries. I tried to stammer out a reply, but I was surprised and my mouth was too clumsy to form proper words so all I could say was “Buhhh...”. When she heard me speak she gasped and then started stammering.

“Oh dear...oh dear...I can’t believe this happened...not in a town like Ponyville...ok sweetie, I’ll...I’ll help you...oh dear...now come on...”.


When I heard her say sweetie I stood up and said “Sweetie”, and the mare smiled. She then walked behind me and was about to nudge me from behind, but then she noticed that there was now a cutie mark on my flank. I did not know what was going on at the time, but she told what had happened later. When she saw the mark she burst into tears. Eventually she got herself together, grabbed my fallen bubble wand, and lead me out of the forest by blowing bubbles, mumbling as she walked.

“Bubbles...that’s what she was trying to say....her talent is bubbles... and now she is all alone, abandoned on the day she got her cutie mark...how could anyone do such a thing to such a sweet little creature?....poor little thing....”

Eventually we made it to a little cottage with a green roof next to a river and she lead me inside. After I went inside the mare stopped and looked back at me.

“Sweetie, can you tell me your name?”

I thought for a second before I spoke. My name was one of the few things I could say properly. I nodded my head.

“So then what is it?”

“Derpy.”

“Derpy? What type of name of is that? Would you mind if I call you Ditzy instead?”

I nodded my head. My father called me Sweetie as well as Derpy, so I figured it would be ok for me to be referred to by another name. The mare then got me some oats to eat, lead me to a bed and told me to sleep in it. It was not my home, but since I was tired and hungry I couldn't resist the food and the warm bed.

***

The next day the mare coaxed me onto a cart, tied me in so I was secure, and then took me to a hospital much like the one I visited after being poisoned. This time the doctors examined and tested me instead of giving me medicine. Eventually they to came to their results, and they left me with a few toys to play with while they talked with the mare. I did not hear them at the time, but I learned of them later.

“We cannot find this filly anywhere on our records. We believe that either she must be from out of town or her mother was a recluse. She has severe speech and motor control impairments, and she appears to be overwhelmed by large amounts of stimulus. She also has strabismus, commonly referred to as walleye. Even though she appears to be mentally challenged and she indeed scored low on many of the tests, further testing of her has made us come to believe that she actually might have a fairly high mental capacity, but difficulties in communication and isolation have kept her from reaching her full potential, and sensory difficulties have also been impairing her. The child was probably abandoned because her mother couldn’t handle her anymore. Miss Doo, if you don’t feel like you can take care of such a foal we could have her put up for adoption. “

Miss Doo decided that she was not going to put me up for adoption, and that one way or another she was going to take care of me and help me reach my full potential. She thanked the doctors, picked me up from the room with the toys, and took me back to her home.

***

Overtime Miss Doo tried to communicate through various means, but I was a hard child to reach. I wasn’t very good at talking, and I wasn’t all too good at listening either. This made her attempts at conversation very difficult. Eventually she decided to try a different approach. She decided she was going to teach me how to read, and that was the greatest gift that was ever given to me.

Despite being barely able to talk or listen, I found learning how to read surprisingly easy. While my vision was not very good due to my strabismus it didn’t effect me too much while reading. Reading does not require accurate depth perception. As I learned that the symbols on the page meant sounds, and the groups of these symbols had meaning, something within me clicked, and I learned a lot. I learned what sound each symbol meant quickly, and soon I began to recognize words. Flour. Mommy. Muffin. Sweetie. Soon enough I did not even need to associate the symbols with the sounds they made and I could read just by recognizing words. Reading was a lot easier than listening as the words on the page did not move, I could take all the time I’d like to digest the information. Reading gave me a whole new depth to life.

While Miss Doo knew I could read as she could get me to read and stumble out the words on the page with my clumsy mouth, communication is a two way process, and she still did not have an efficient way for me to get an idea across to her. She tried teaching me how to write, but I was not dexterous enough to hold a pencil well enough to write. Miss Doo was getting frustrated, but she was not out of ideas. She decided to take a block and cover it with the symbols in such a way that I could point out one symbol at a time. We now had a very slow way to communicate, where I could point out a symbol and she would would write it down, but I still liked this better than talking. One problem with this was I could only communicate when I got Miss Doo to write down what I was trying to say while I tapped away at the block, and it wasn't the fastest means of communicating. We managed to get around this by using gestures for common phrases, and secondary blocks with symbols for common words was made. Still, I eventually needed to learn to talk effectively, but that would have to wait.

***

One day Miss Doo asked me to tell her what happened to me before she found me. She got me my block, and painstakingly I pattered out a sequence of letters while she recorded them. Now, my memory is incredible, but I really did not know how to describe most of the details, and back then even my writing was worse than my talking now. As I recalled the memories so I could convey them to Miss Doo I lived them in my mind, and wrote as if they were happening then. Somehow I managed to produce a somewhat lengthy block of words, which is now known as “Bubbles”. Yes, that is where “Bubbles” came from. After Miss Doo finished transcribing, she read over it, tears flowing from her eyes. Finally she spoke.

“Come Ditzy, lets go make muffins.”

I followed her to the kitchen, which was really just part of the living room, and we made purple blueberry muffins together, just as I did with my mother before she abandoned me. This time I didn’t make any messes, and the muffins were delicious, and very purple.

***

That was the story behind “Bubbles”. However, my story is far from over; this is only the beginning. I still needed to learn to cook on my own, to learn to talk effectively, and most of all, to learn to fly.