• Published 31st May 2014
  • 4,265 Views, 493 Comments

Of Night and Stone - Kirb



When Maud Pie sees a stone gargoyle, she falls for it, only to find out that it is very much alive... A crossover fic with Gargoyles. Ships Maud X Brooklyn.

  • ...
15
 493
 4,265

Official Correspondence

Of Night and Stone
By Kirb
Chapter Eight
Official Correspondence

On the Day of Elisa’s Arrival


Mail to: Twilight Sparkle
Golden Oaks Library
Ponyville, Equestria

My faithful student Twilight,

I am writing this letter to you on behalf of a matter of great importance to Equestrian safety. Late last night, while my sister Luna was tending to her official princess duties, she sensed an extreme magical surge near the Everfree Forest. She woke me up and told me. This is concerning to the both of us, because it does not seem to be a natural type of unicorn magic. Rather, it appears to be a type unnatural to Equestria, very similar to the magic that Discord used when he was in power.

This leads to a task I need you to perform for the sake of Equestria. We have no idea what this magic could be, but it is most concerning to all of us. Ever since the changelings’ attack on Canterlot a few weeks ago, we are trying to be extra sure that nothing like that ever happens again, but now would be the perfect time for such a thing to occur, in the wake of another attack like that.

So I would like you and your friends to go to the location of the surge and look around to see what is there. Be prepared to fight off enemies. I have sent the Elements of Harmony and have complete faith you will use them if something goes wrong.

Your mentor,

Princess Celestia



Mail to: Princess Celestia I of Equestria
Royal Canterlot Castle
Canterlot, Equestria

Dear Princess Celestia,

I’ll let my friends know about this, and we’ll go check it out promptly. Thanks for letting me know. If this is a potential threat to Equestria, I will stop at nothing to discover the truth about it.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle



Dear Princess Celestia,

We just arrived back from the site of the magic surge. The ground appeared charred, as predicted, but get this: somepony was there. Only she wasn’t a pony, rather a bipedal creature of some type. We haven’t been able to find out much from her, except she calls herself Elisa Maza. I have her with me at the library right now, but she’s asleep. She doesn’t seem unfriendly. Perhaps she’s a nocturnal creature of some sort?

I’ll ask her a few questions once she’s awake. I await your response.

Twilight



Dear Twilight

It would be nice if you could respond with as many details about Elisa as you can find out. If she is the source of the magic surge, she could be a changeling in disguise, tricking you. If she is an unidentified bipedal creature, that could just be her disguise as she waits to strike, so don’t be too trusting. Also, it would be a good idea to write down any strange or odd behavior she displays.

Celestia



Dear Princess Celestia,

I apologize for responding so late in the day, but Elisa only woke up about two hours ago. When she talked to me, she seemed very friendly and not confrontational. I am aware this might be a ruse of some sort; however, the way she acted was also very sincere, and she didn’t mind answering my questions.

From what I can tell, this Elisa is from a species called “humans” (pronounced HUE-menz). I looked it up in the official species guide and cannot find it in the list, which does seem a little suspicious. But she has explained several details to me. She claims to be from a city called “New York,” which is in a different world. She also claims to be part of her city’s law enforcement and works at night, which would explain why she was asleep when I found her.

She says she was on the job in her town when she fell through a portal and found herself in Equestria. The story seems to add up, though this does bring up the question, why would a portal to Equestria appear at random? I think as you said, somepony might be behind this. Maybe she isn’t telling us the full story, I don’t know.

You told me to watch for suspicious behavior. Well, she hasn’t given me any reason not to trust her, and the fact that she works for law enforcement in her world has helped me to trust her more. But she did do something a little strange tonight. Around sundown, she abruptly left the library for a few hours. She claimed she wanted to look around the town. That seems a little off-putting.

Given the facts, I think we should watch over her, but she doesn’t seem like a threat. I’ve attached a picture of her with this letter. Notice the many layers of clothing she wears. From what I gather, this is because she doesn’t have any body fur like ponies do.

I await your response,

Twilight

First Day after Elisa’s Arrival



My faithful pupil,

I have looked at the information you sent me and concur that Elisa is not a threat to Equestrian security. I would like to know more about her, and arrange to meet her at some time. But for now, I would just appreciate you writing me daily. I have talked to my sister and we think that if she is, in fact, connected to the magic surge, she should be monitored. So until I communicate otherwise, please write to me at the end of each day, and include anything new involving Elisa.

Celestia


Dear Princess Celestia,

Elisa has had further time to meet and talk to my friends. It hasn’t been much, though, due to her sleeping schedule as a night shift officer. But she seems harmless, and we seem to be adapting well to her presence. For now, she is staying in my library--sleeping in the guest bed--but we could make arrangements for her to stay somewhere else if this turns out to be long-term.

I contacted the Mayor about her, and she is planning on making a speech to introduce her to the town tomorrow. I’ll let you know if she displays any more strange behavior.

Your faithful student,

Twilight

Two Days since Elisa’s Arrival


Dear Princess Celestia,

Elisa woke up later than usual this afternoon. That’s the only strange behavior I have seen from her, but that’s understandable since she stayed up a little later than usual for the Mayor to introduce her to the town.

Although many of the townsponies had already seen her, many others were clearly very surprised to see her. Clearly this will take some getting used to for all of us, as she is also much taller than the average pony (she’s around your height), and is having trouble adjusting to door and ceiling heights. But I think it’s gone well so far.

Your faithful student,

Twilight

Three Days since Elisa’s Arrival


Dear Princess Celestia,

Pinkie Pie threw a party for Elisa this evening, and many ponies arrived. Elisa used this time to get to know my friends better. Rarity has mentioned she is interested in making some clothing for her. Elisa has also told us some more about her world. Apparently, New York--the town she’s from--has a lot more crime than our world, hence a greater need for a detective to work the night shift, as she does. It’s no wonder, however. Her entire world is chaotic! The sun and moon control themselves, the weather controls itself, and plants and animals care for themselves, all on their own! How do they ever survive? It’s like the Everfree Forest, only an entire world!

Your faithful student,

Twilight

Nine Days since Elisa’s Arrival


My faithful pupil,

Seeing as how Elisa has been in this world for over a week now, I have been looking into finding her her own quarters in Ponyville. I will pay expenses for her. I would also be interested in meeting her one of these days.

Celestia



Dear Princess Celestia,

I am sorry to respond on such short notice, but I have a suspicion that Elisa isn’t telling us the full truth. When I asked her a few days ago about all the details of how she got here, several things just didn’t add up. Attached are the complete details of Elisa’s arrival into Equestria. Please look over it and tell me what you think.

Twilight



Dear Twilight,

I regret to inform you that I share your suspicions. Where did this portal come from? Magic portals don’t just appear on their own. Something else has to be behind this. Ask her tonight for more details. This is troubling me.

Celestia



Dear Princess Celestia,

A lot has happened since you responded to our letter. First of all, remember when we all met Maud Pie, Pinkie’s sister? Well, she came by to visit again today. I wouldn’t normally be telling you this, except she and Pinkie found a strange statue in the park. It wasn’t there before now, and oddly enough, Maud cannot identify the type of rock it is made of. Could this be connected to Elisa’s arrival?

Furthermore, other strange developments have occurred. Applejack came to me today informing me that somepony, or something, stole some of her apples last night. She also told me of animals being spooked, unidentified creatures flying around, and voices heard in the streets, one of them being Elisa’s. I want to believe Elisa is innocent in all this, but it does come off as a strange coincidence that all this began the same day she arrived, and the same time the magical surge occurred.

I will question Elisa as soon as she gets up.

Your faithful student,

Twilight

Ten Days since Elisa’s Arrival


Dear Princess Celestia,

Last night, I discovered several things. When Elisa woke up, I asked her if she was connected to the things going on in Ponyville. She denied it at first, but then she admitted to it. As it turns out, she isn’t the only one who arrived in Equestria--she brought a few of her friends along. They are not humans, but rather a different species, called gargoyles.

These gargoyles are bipedal, similar to Elisa, but they also have wings. During the daytime, they turn to stone, which would explain the statue Pinkie and Maud found in the park, as it wasn’t a statue but rather a gargoyle in his stone form. Their leader is named Goliath, and I met him and the rest of his clan last night. I have no reason to believe these gargoyles are harmful. If anything, they seem very protective, and could be beneficial to Equestria if we made an alliance with them.

I spent a lot of my time talking with a gargoyle named Lexington. I studied him and recorded the data I discovered. Lex also told me the complete story of how Elisa and these gargoyles got here. I attached it in this letter, as well as the data I have found about these gargoyles.

So far, Maud Pie and I are the only ponies who have met the gargoyles. They are currently staying on the deck at Ponyville Town Hall. I told my friends about the gargoyles today, and we will introduce them later tonight.

In the attachment, please note the part about the other three who may have arrived with them: a being similar to Discord named Puck, a male human named David Xanatos (pronounced ZA-nuh-tos), and a female gargoyle named Demona (pronounced Deh-MOAN-uh). Should they be found anywhere in Equestria, they are not to be trusted.

Your faithful student,

Twilight



My dearest Twilight,

I have read through your letter and the attachment. This is a lot to take in. I am interested in finding out more about these gargoyles. Contact me tonight with your findings.

Celestia

Eleven Days since Elisa’s Arrival


Dear Princess Celestia,

The gargoyles met my friends last night. I would say it went well. Fluttershy seemed to get along with Bronx, the gargoyle dog. Yes, there is a gargoyle dog. I don’t understand it either, but from what I can tell he is not exactly a gargoyle, but rather a related species. We’ll find out more eventually. Keep in mind that this is only two days since I found out about them.

On another note: I have reason to believe that three other ponies found out about the gargoyles. They allegedly captured Lex and Brooklyn, another gargoyle, and held them hostage last night. I discovered from this that electricity is a gargoyle’s weakness.

Something else you might be interested in finding out: Maud, as it turns out, has been spending a lot of time with Brooklyn, who is Goliath’s second-in-command. They spent a lot of last night together, as well as the night before last. Elisa, Pinkie and I watched them last night while they were out, and I have reason to believe they are forming a strong friendship. I am telling you this so you won’t be surprised if Maud accompanies the gargoyles to Canterlot, should you ever meet them.

Speaking of which, I know you are eager to meet the gargoyles, and Goliath certainly is interested in meeting you. When would be a convenient time for you?

Your faithful student,

Twilight



My faithful pupil,

I am very interested in meeting these gargoyles! However, I am unsure about their transportation to Canterlot. You have told me they can fly here. My only fear is that they would be seen by townsponies. We cannot let the news of the gargoyles be made public. You can always teleport them here, but that would be very hard on your magic and you would run out of energy to teleport them all back to Ponyville.

Therefore, I think it would be wiser for me to arrive to Ponyville for the meeting. I also think Princess Luna should be present; since the gargoyles are night creatures, it would be in her domain. If tonight is free for you, we can arrange for the meeting to take place at around 9 in the evening.

I look forward to meeting them. Please tell Elisa about this so she will not be surprised.

Celestia

Author's Note:

Next chapter: The gargoyles meet Princesses Celestia and Luna! This will sure be fun!

By the way, sorry this took so long. I’ve been in the process of doing the things I mentioned in my most recent blog entry (birthday coming up, surprise project, guest chapter in Titty Barn, revising older chapters in ONAS, etc.)

Special thanks to sevenofeleven for prereading, and also to Dan (TheHappySpaceman) for checking for any inconsistencies in my Gargoyles lore.

Also, you already know by now.