• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 5,749 Views, 118 Comments

Tonight I Shall Be Laughter - Cloud Wander



Princess Luna decides to work on her Element of Laughter. Captain Bucephalus gives chase.

  • ...
5
 118
 5,749

Fun Expert

A little later that evening, in a small room in Ponyville:

“Hssst!”

Snuggled in her bed in her room on the third floor above Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie Pie was not entirely asleep nor entirely awake. One might argue, in Pinkie’s case, if the two states were distinguishable.

“Hssst!”

One of Pinkie’s ears flapped up.

“Hssst!”

And the other.

“Hssst… hssst!”

Pinkie’s blue eyes opened, automatically scanning the objects in her room: octopus plush toy, model helicopter, Gummy’s basket, Gummy, balloons (un-inflated), balloons (inflated), picture of her Uncle Josh, maid costume, umbrella hat, Princess Luna hovering at the window, hay bale, beach ball…

Gasp! What was that?! Pinkie sat up, startled. Where did that beach ball come from?

“Hssst!”

And the beach ball has a leak!

“Hssst! Pinkamena Diane Pie!”

The Three Names! No, not THE THREE NAMES! The Three Names were terrible things, always followed by an awful order:

Pinkamena Diane Pie: eat your turnips!

Pinkamena Diane Pie: clean your room!

Pinkamena Diane Pie: put down the detonator!

The Three Names were definitely not good news!

“Hssst! Pinkie Pie! May I please come in?” asked Luna.

Pinkie sprang from her bed and opened the window. “Hay, Princess Luna!” she exclaimed excitedly. “Do you have a leak?”

“What? No. Please, may I come in?”

“Sure!”

“Shhhh!” hushed Luna, holding a hoof to her lips as she stepped through the window. “I don’t want to attract attention.”

“WHY DON’T YOU WANT TO ATTRACT ATTENTION?”

“Shhhh!” hushed Luna, again, this time holding a hoof over Pinkie’s mouth.

“hwcnihlpu, prncsslna?” burbled Pinkie.

“Pinkamena Diane Pie,” Luna intoned, dropping into the Traditional Canterlot Voice. No! Stop that! she interrupted herself.

She took a deep breath, smiled, then began again.

“Pinkie Pie, I would like to ask you to help me.”

“thtswhtijstsid.”

“Quietly.”

“O. k.”

Luna released Pinkie Pie and stepped back.

“Pinkie Pie, I would like to throw a party,” said Luna.

“A party! I love parties! You want me to throw you a party?” Pinkie exclaimed, quietly, as she ricocheted gently around her room.

“No,” said Luna. “I would like you to help me throw a party.”

Luna flashed her horn and a clipboard materialized in the air before her. “I’ve done some research. It says here that parties are fun. Since I wish to maximize my fun level, it logically follows that I should convene a party. And, as you are a noted authority in this area…”

“Woot! Woot! Woot!” hooted Pinkie, softly. From somewhere, she produced a We’re Number 1! foam finger. She waved.

“Yes, well, be that as it may… I have come to seek your guidance in this matter.”

Luna consulted her clipboard. “Now, I see that there are a number of preparations to be made in advance of the party. Refreshments…”

“Punch! Cupcakes!”

“Ah, yes. Decorations…”

“Balloons! Streamers!”

Luna smiled. “Obviously, I’ve come to the right expert. Now, here we come to a complication.”

“Oh, I love complications!” Pinkie vibrated with excitement.

“While these preparations are being made, it is vital that my presence here in Ponyville go undetected. There are certain outside agencies,” Luna imagined that dumb lunk, Captain Bucephalus, “that would seek to interrupt the proceedings. Do you understand?”

“No, not at all!” said Pinkie happily, shaking her head.

Luna sighed.

“I think I will require a disguise of some sort,” she explained, “so that I can go about making these preparations without being recognized.”

“Ah, ha! I get it,” said Pinkie, suddenly all slyness and cunning. “Camouflage! In-cog-neat-o!” She rubbed her chin and examined the Princess closely, squinting in concentration.

“I know! I have just the thing!” she exclaimed, gleefully. “Hee!”

***

Shortly thereafter, in the kitchens at Sugarcube Corner:

Carrot Cake stretched sleepily. It had been a long day and he knew that morning, for a baker, would come all too early. He walked into the kitchens thinking only to take a last look around before turning off the lights.

Instead he discovered Pinkie Pie, busily at work with bowls and pans, accompanied by… who now?

Carrot Cake started violently. He, like everyone in Ponyville, had attended Princess Luna’s welcome celebration following the Summer Sun Festival. He had seen the restored Princess Luna with his own eyes.

And here she was, a Princess of Equestria, the Queen of the Moon, once the dreaded Nightmare Moon, in his kitchen, an oven mitt in her mouth and holding a pan of cupcakes.

And wearing a big, black handlebar moustache.

Now, Carrot Cake was a simple pony. Flour, salt, water and sugar were the four fundamental elements of his universe. Confronted with a thousand-year-old alicorn moon-goddess baking cupcakes and sporting a handlebar moustache, he naturally attempted to interpret what he was seeing in terms of his own experience:

Well, of course the moustache is a fake.

So, the horn is likely fake as well. Yes. Yes, he could see now the telltale traces of wax holding it in place.

The wings… well, sure, they appeared pretty convincing. But looking more closely with a skeptical eye, he was certain he could make out the line of the strap holding the fake wings in place.

Ha ha. One of Pinkie’s friends then, in costume. Whoa. That was a relief.

“Hay, Mr. Cake!” muttered Pinkie around the big mixing spoon she held in her teeth.

Setting down the cupcake pan, Luna said, hesitantly, “Good evening, sir.” Oh, no. This can’t possibly work, she thought.

“Hello, Pinkie. And hello to you as well, Miss—?” Or Mister. Really, who knew, these days?

Luna thought quickly. “Crescent… Cookie. Yes, that’s right. My name is Crescent Cookie, sir.”

Crescent Cookie. A perfectly ordinary name, thought Carrot Cake, a bit relieved.

“A pleasure to meet you, Miss Cookie,” he said.

“Thank you, sir,” Luna said. Luna glanced over at Pinkie Pie, who simply winked and continued her mixing.

“We’re making preparations for a party we hope to hold later tonight, sir,” explained Luna. “I hope we will not disturb you or your lovely wife.”

“Ah, well now, the missus is a bit particular about who she lets in her kitchen, y’know. Still, if you’re one of Pinkie’s friends, I’m sure it will be okay.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“You just clean up afterwards, all right? Lots t’do tomorrow.”

“We’ll do our best, sir,” Luna assured him. “Good night, sir.”

“G’night!” said Pinkie around the mixing spoon.

“Take care, girls. Good night,” said Mr. Cake.

A stream of delighted giggling followed him up the stairs.