• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 1,571 Views, 37 Comments

What doesn't kill me... - LucidTech



In the last bid of desperation for the life of her children, the dragonborn calls on unknown magic to take her children and her out of harms way. But with a war brewing in Equestria, in their new destination any more safe?

  • ...
1
 37
 1,571

Chapter Three

The dragonborn’s steps were measured and cautious. She’d spotted the town an hour or two ago and after looking around for a side entrance or other passageway she’d come to the conclusion she would have to go in through the front door. It didn’t seem too hard a challenge, only one of the strange equines stood guard out front. But it worried her. A small pony with yellow coat and pink mane looked so out of place next to the wooden barricade around the town that she felt extremely on edge simply approaching, let alone asking for entrance.

But, as there was no other entrance, she gathered her courage and approached. Her mace was hanging by her side as a show of trust and respect but at the first sign of trouble she was ready to grab it and smash it into the skull of her troubles, whichever one happened to be closest. She didn’t want to cause issues for anyone, but her children came first. And if they sought to keep them seperated she would put an end to it one way or the other.

The ‘guard’ seemed aware of her approach now and looked scared. The dragonborn couldn’t blame them. A mass of metal was more than slightly off-putting. A side glance told her the sun would be rising soon, and she prepared to stand against the rolling wave of pain that would come with it, hoping she could hide it from the one at the door. Giving even a hint that she was a vampire could dash all her chances of getting inside.

“Halt!” Cried the guard. The dragonborn complied, holding her hands in the air, showing she bore no weapons. Only the shield on her back and the mace by her side. The guard seemed surprised that her call had worked, remaining silent in surprise instead of actually doing anything helpful.

“I come in peace!” Called the dragonborn, her voice covering the distance easily and clearly. Ringing clearly and ignoring the metal helmet over her head completely. “I only want to see my daughters!” She continued, waiting for some response from her shell shocked conversation partner. “Please!”

The last word shook the guard from her stupor, and a look of worry replaced the surprise. “Oh my, they’re yours? I wasn’t aware. They’ve been asking about their mom. But Spike said you’d… passed on.” She seemed in deep thought before a blush of embarrassment passed over her face. “I’m sorry. The doors will be opening soon, you can come wait for them with me if you’d like, then I’ll take you to your daughters.”

The dragonborn closed the distance, still hesitant. She took up a seat on a pile of hay next to the guard. A shy frail mare who sat on a proper chair. Judging by the scuff marks near the feet of the chair it seemed it was moved outside for her to sit on. She immediately offered it to the dragonborn when she saw her eyeing it, but the armored hulk declined, stating she was just fine on the hay. Despite the generosity, something still seemed… wrong.

“You trust my word over this… Spike’s?” The dragonborn asked, but when she saw the fright that dashed over the features of the mare she immediately realized she’d been misunderstood. “I don’t mean just in general.” She hurriedly corrected, “I mean if he said I wasn’t alive anymore, why do you trust that I’m their mom?” She was worried about the safety here, if they let just anyone in who claimed to be a relative.

“Oh well, I’ve never seen anyone like you or the children before. It seems like it would be a large coincidence for you two not to be related.”

“You mean… bipedal?”

“Well… a little bit.” She responded kindly. “I suppose minotaurs and some dragons are bipedal but you’re not… proportioned right to be either of those. I don’t think a minotaur or a dragon would fit in that armor.” She smiled nicely and the dragonborn felt her worries beginning to lax. She kept her muscles taut though, wondering if there was some kind of peace spell being cast on her as she sat there.

No others? Redguards? Khajit? None of those? She’d thought at least one of the other races owned every inch of the world. Where had she ended up if none of them had found their way here? She’d been ready to bargain with bretons for an inn, now here she was, an argonian in a completely unknown world without even the familiarities of men and mer to comfort her fears.

“Oh.” The mare continued, not noticing the deep thought that wracked the dragonborn’s mind. “I haven’t introduced myself yet have I? My name’s Fluttershy. I guard the gate at night and make sure no one gets close to the wall, do what I can to help keep everyone safe while we work out a solution to this. What’s your name?”

That seemed… too open. There was something about this mare that the dragonborn couldn’t place. She felt herself on edge again and prepared to make a break for it, or rather to break someone else, if things went bad. She saw no harm in giving her name however, she was somewhat reluctant. Not many knew it, it was almost a secret between her and her daughters. But then again, no one had ever bothered to ask before either. Mercenaries are hired to get a job done, not to get friendly with.

“Letha.” She responded truthfully, almost absentmindedly. “I travel.”

“Travel? Like to the forest?”

Letha looked to Fluttershy and saw her eyeing the mace at her side. “Wherever I’m needed mostly, wherever my family needs me to be. Earning gold or protecting nobles, whatever comes along.”

“Family? Do you have a husband?”

“No, not really. It’s just me and the kids and whatever companion the hold gives us to baby sit while I take care of their issues.”

“Oh, I see.” Fluttershy glanced downwards, almost in shame.

The sound of the gates opening echoed suddenly and the argonian felt a pounding headache move through her head. She remained seated straight up, watching as her vision blurred and tossed itself into a messy jumble. She remained seated like that until her vision cleared, with the ever present pounding reverberating around in her head, almost crippling. Just like every other morning. She heard a voice and glanced up to see Fluttershy looking back at her.

“Are you coming?” Fluttershy asked with a kind smile, it seemed like she was repeating herself. Letha nodded and stood from the hay, following after her into the city. A pair of guards waited just inside. They looked over Fluttershy and then over Letha. An exchange of nods between Fluttershy and the guards transpired and then she led Letha into the city proper.

Fluttershy began to give a proper tour as the passed landmarks but there was just something that wouldn’t let Letha focus. Then, all at once, it came to her. The clarity brought her to her senses and she looked around at their surroundings, no one else was close by. Letha rested an armored hand on Fluttershy, bringing her to a quick stop as she jolted with fear as the chilling metal touched her skin.

“Is everything alright Letha?” Fluttershy asked harmlessly, looking at Letha with a worried face, unable to read her expression beneath the metal.

“You’re a vampire.” Letha said in a quiet tone, her voice sure.

“What why-?” Fluttershy began to protest, but was cut off as Letha answered the question.

“It’s small, but it’s rooted. It’s been there a long time.” Letha’s hand began to move to her mace and she looked around more frantically, panic building inside her.

“Letha no, listen. It’s not the same.”

“What?” Her voice was practically a hiss as she wrapped her hand around the handle of the mace. “How is it not the same?”

“No it’s… Twilight said it was like a minor version. I got it a while ago when I had a bad encounter with some vampire fruit bats. I’m sort of a vampire in that sense, but I don’t crave blood, only apples.” Fluttershy was beginning to panic as she saw Letha getting prepared to draw her weapon, worried for what might occur if she pulled it fully out of her sheath, she looked dangerous enough with it put away. “Apparently it prevents me from getting the full thing, that’s why Twilight assigned me to watch the gate, because it’s the least risk.” Her tone was pleading now. “Please don’t draw the weapon Letha. Your children are just a few steps ahead. I don’t want them to have to see you die.” Tears were beginning to gather in her eyes. Guards had started to approach in curiosity.

Letha glanced at the guards, then at Fluttershy, who was looking at her with watering eyes. Slowly, she let the mace slide back into the sheath and let go of Fluttershy’s shoulder, her metal arm swinging back by her side. Fluttershy rubbed the water out of her eyes and smiled again. “Thank you.” She said. One guard began to speak as he approached, having seen the tears that still lingered on Fluttershy’s eyes.

“Something the matter Miss Fluttershy?”

“No nothing Flash. We’re just talking about how excited the kids will be to see their mom again. I got a little emotional is all.” She smiled again and the guard nodded before he walked away, signalling all the other guards to return to their posts. He spared one more glance to the pair before he did the same.

“Thank you.” Letha said as they began to move again. “I’m just a bit… on edge.”

“It’s okay, I’m just glad you made the decision you did in the end. I was really worried for you and the kids.” Fluttershy glanced over her shoulder to Letha to show another kind grin before they continued on. “But, I’m curious, how did you know I was a vampire, or, I guess at least part vampire?”

“I don’t mean to worry you Fluttershy, you’ve been nothing but kind to me and you care a lot about my children. That’s why I’m about to tell you the truth, but I ask that you not pass it on to anyone okay?” They were only a few feet from their destination. Barely seconds more until they were inside.

“Pinkie Promise.”

Letha had no idea what that meant but decided it would have to do. “I’m a little more than part vampire.”

Letha let the secret spill moments before the door to the house opened, giving Fluttershy no time to hide her surprise or fear. Spike and Rarity were inside, and a few feet away two little girls played with a small furry half-dragon half-pony creature. They were chasing each other in circles when the wooden door squeaked open and everyone’s attention turned to the new arrivals. The girls were the first ones to react, running forward to the door.

The armored figure crouched immediately and held out it’s arms, catching both of them in a hug. An act they returned gleefully. “Mom! You made it!” Squealed one of them. Wrapping her arms as far around the helmet as she could. “They said you might not be coming but we knew you would.”

Spike and Rarity made their way to Fluttershy, who still stood completely frozen in the doorway. Spike spoke first, Rarity pausing to scoop up her child into welcoming hooves. “Is something the matter Fluttershy?” Spike asked, worried about how Fluttershy looked like she’d seen a ghost. She remained staring forward until the small bundle escaped from Rarity's hooves and ran towards her. "Aunt Shy!" The little thing shouted as it ran. "Anything bad happen last night?"

Fluttershy came to at the voice and saw the trio exchanging a huge group huge in front of her. It was a kind of love that you couldn’t fake. The worry she’d felt only moments ago seemed to fade immediatly and she turned to look at the little one, happiness painted on her face. “Not a thing.” She said cheerfully before looking back to the family reunited. “Not a thing at all.”