• Published 19th May 2014
  • 2,392 Views, 130 Comments

Of Cellos, Bubbles, and Moonbeams - Eyvind



Octavia is a quiet pony. She never had many friends. She never thought she would need any. But then why is she so happy when she meets Ditzy Doo?

  • ...
7
 130
 2,392

Chapter 1

It was the dead of night in Ponyville Park as a lone figure walked down one of the many pathways that cut through the grassy field. The ethereal light of the full moon broke through the light cloud cover, washing everything beneath it in a silver glow. With a mane black as charcoal and a coat of ash, the pony bore a treble cleft upon her flank and wore a pink bow tie with a white collar about her neck.

She adjusted the strap holding the large stringed instrument across her back as she stopped beside one of the many wooden benches the park offered. She decided this was as good a place as any. Sitting on her haunches, she lifted the strap over her head and set her instrument case down in front of her. She deftly undid the latches and lifted the case's lid.

The cello within was of masterful make. The polished wood shone brightly in the light of the moon, and the stars reflected on its surface seemed as much a piece of it as the neck or the bridge. The pony removed the bow that lay beside it and a rosin block from one of the case's side compartments. She held the bow lightly in her fetlock and slid the rosin along its length with slow graceful movements, showing all the care of a mother nursing her child.

Once she was satisfied with the bow's condition, she replaced the rosin and turned her attention to the cello itself. She lifted it gently from its case, as careful as if it were made of glass. After attaching the end pin, she stood, raising herself onto her hind legs, one fore-hoof holding the neck of the instrument and the other holding the bow.

She didn't begin playing it, however. Instead, she closed her eyes, holding the bow mere inches above the strings. She remained frozen like that, unmoving, nose towards the wind, as if listening to something, some sound only she could hear. A minute passed. Then another.

Suddenly, when it seemed as though she had turned to stone, a gust of wind raced through the air, fanning her mane behind her. She played a single note then, long and sorrowful. She slid her bow across the string slowly, drawing it out for as long as possible, long after the wind had died.

She got into the melody then, playing the following note quickly before drawing out the next, every sound sung out into the night a breath, held and released as naturally as the musician's own. The song was happy and sad and beautiful as life itself, but most of all it was her. It was her life the strings sung of, just as it was her life that caused the strings to sing. She was not performing for adoration, or the sound of stomping hooves, or to receive a paycheck. She played only for herself, to hear her own story and appreciate it for the masterpiece that it was. This moment was hers, and hers alone...

Until the sound of sniffling beside her shattered that moment into a million tiny pieces. She whirled in surprise, the last note she had played dying in the air as the strings hummed to a stop. A bluish-grey and blonde-maned mare sat on the path opposite the way she had came, wiping her eyes dry with a fore-hoof. The cellist could just barely discern her wings by the weak light of the moon.

"Th-that... w-was the most... beautiful *hic* thing... I've ever... h-heard," the pegasus managed to say through broken sobs.

She probably should have felt honored to have moved this pony to tears, but in that moment the only thing she could think to do was berate her for intruding upon her intimate moment. But then she remembered she was playing in a public park, so she instead chose to say something slightly less hostile.

"Why are you walking around here so late at night?"

"I always go through the park on my way home from work," she said with a small smile, finally managing to reign in her tears. The cellist saw the other pony's eyes for the first time then. She was surprised to see them list in opposite directions. She found herself staring, despite her better judgment.

"I'm Ditzy, by the way. Ditzy Doo." If Ditzy noticed her stare (which it was entirely possible that she did not since neither eye seemed to focus on her at any one time), she did not mention it nor seem to care. "Sooooo... what's your name?"

"Oh... Oh! I'm sorry. I'm Octavia," she said quickly, feeling rather self conscience by that point.

"Oh wow, that's a pretty name," Ditzy said enthusiastically. "And what was the name of the song you were playing? I don't think I've ever heard it before."

"That... it doesn't have a name." Octavia put her bow back in her case and began taking off the cello's end pin.

"Really? Don't you think something that pretty should have a name?"

Octavia gently laid the cello inside the case. Sadness shadowed her features as she looked at moon's reflection on its polished surface before gently closing the case's lid.

"I don't think something that pretty needs a name," she replied.

Ditzy Doo was quiet then as she mulled over her words. Octavia snapped the case's clasps shut and slung the strap over her head as she stood. "Goodnight, Ditzy Doo," she said before turning and walking down the path the way she had came. She was slightly annoyed to hear Ditzy's hoof-steps behind her moments later as she ran to catch up, falling instep beside her. She turned her head to raise a quizzical eyebrow at the mare, but Ditzy was looking at the path at her hooves, nose scrunched up in thought.

"You know, the moon is really pretty," Ditzy said suddenly. Octavia almost laughed at the randomness of the observation.

"It is," she said.

"But we still call it the moon."

Octavia smiled slightly. "We do."

"Then why--"

"But do we have to call it the moon?" Octavia interrupted. "Would it be any less pretty if we called it Rose, or Bob, or if we didn't give it a name at all?"

Ditzy looked up at the celestial body in question. "I guess not..."

They continued to walk in silence for a while. Octavia wondered why the pegasus didn't simply fly home. She decided to ask her as much when she worked up the courage.

"Say, Ditzy..."

"Yeah?"

"Why don't you just fly home?" She realized how harsh it sounded after saying it aloud and elaborated. "I mean, not that I don't enjoy your company or anything, but you don't have to walk with me for my sake."

"Oh, uh... Well, you see..." Ditzy rubbed a hoof through her mane self consciously. "Ponies, uh, don't really like to spend time with me," she explained. Octavia immediately felt sorry for her. Ditzy was able to read the pity in her eyes easily enough. "I don't blame them though," she added hastily. "I'm not really good on my hooves... or in the air... kind of a klutz, you know..."

"I... I see... You know, I'm the same way. No pony likes to spend much time with me, either," she admitted.

"What?!" Ditzy exclaimed. "But your so talented! I've never heard any pony play music like you do!"

"Yes, well... that seems to be my only talent. Once I put my cello down, I'm... I don't know... exposed. I mess up, I panic, I can't stop worrying about what other ponies--"

"About what other ponies are thinking about you." Ditzy finished her sentence for her, knowing all too well the feeling she was describing.

Octavia nodded, somewhat mystified by Ditzy's understanding. "Yes, exactly."

They lapsed into silence once more, though Octavia noticed that it was much more comfortable than their previous silence. She wondered just what separated a comfortable silence from an uncomfortable one. Perhaps it was a certain level of understanding between them, where words were no longer needed.

"Hey, Octavia..."

Octavia was surprised when Ditzy spoke. Perhaps the silence had only been comfortable for her.

"Yeah, Ditzy?"

"Why were you playing out here in the park? By yourself?" Octavia looked to her side to see Ditzy's eyes completely focused on her, the curiosity in them evident. She honestly wanted to lie and say there was no reason for it, but something about those eyes compelled her to be truthful. Even though the truth made her feel quite silly.

"Well, it's a tradition of mine."

"What sort of tradition?"

"The kind that my parents gave me." It was obvious that Ditzy's curiosity was only peaked by this information, so Octavia continued. "My dad was an eccentric pony. During Summer, when it was warm out, he would take my mom out to have romantic picnics under the moon. After I was born, they would take me along with them. The first time I ever performed for them was at one of those picnics. After... after they passed, I kept taking my cello out each summer to perform under the moon. Sometimes I wonder if my parents can hear it, if they know how much better I've gotten."

She finished her explanation to the sound of Ditzy sniffling, once more wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Th-that's such a beautiful story."

"You cry really easy," Octavia said with a chuckle.

"Then stop giving me beautiful things to cry about," Ditzy retorted, laughing as well.

They finally emerged from the park and onto a dimly-lit street. Octavia was surprised to find herself disappointed that their moonlit walk through the park was at an end.

"Well, my house is this way," Ditzy said, pointing to the left.

"And my house is this way," Octavia said, pointing to the right.

They hesitated there, both wanting to stay and both realizing there was no real reason to.

"Well, see ya around, I guess?" Ditzy said hopefully.

"Definitely," she replied with a determined nod.

"Cool. Goodnight, then."

"Yeah, goodnight."

As Octavia made her way down the street and around the corner, she could feel this happy feeling bubbling up in her chest. Had she just made a friend? A real friend? The thought made her smile so wide it hurt.

Suddenly, all of those happy feelings were flushed right out of her as she realized the only thing she knew was her name. How were they ever going to meet again? By chance? How long would that take? Octavia spun on her hooves and ran back towards the park. maybe she could still catch her in time...

She reached the park entrance, but Ditzy was no where to be found. Of course, she was a pegasus. She could have flown off at any time and been to her house in seconds. Octavia kicked the dirt and mentally berated herself for being such a--

"Hi Octavia!"

Octavia released a high-pitched scream as Ditzy's voice came from right behind her. She turned to see the wall-eyed pegasus hovering there, trying to contain her mirth at her reaction.

"W-what the hay, Ditzy! That's not funny," Octavia chided, her face growing red from embarrassment rather than anger.

"Oops hahaha. I'm sorry," she apologized. "I just flew back here to find you because I realized I only know your name."

"Yes, well, I ran back here for the same reason." Octavia was having trouble getting the blood to leave her cheeks.

"How about we meet for lunch tomorrow?" Ditzy asked as she set herself down on her hooves. "Say, noon at Sugar Cube Corner?"

Octavia smiled. "Sounds good to me."

"Great! See you then," Ditzy said as she walked past her and towards her house. Octavia waited for her to round the corner before she giggled and trotted in place excitedly, the bubbly feeling once more rising in her chest. Noon tomorrow. She couldn't wait!