• Published 22nd May 2014
  • 6,458 Views, 151 Comments

(A)mortal - RagingPonyRider



When an insane pony asks the princesses to kill him, they learn he's not as mad as he seems nor sane as we think.

  • ...
22
 151
 6,458

Assault

Alright, so where to start?

Well, the night I arrived in the city, I guess.

Pretty dark. I’m still not sure how the day-night cycles work. I was walking through the town without paying attention, just that I was going through as straight as I could. “The shortest point between two points” thing, yeah?

It was a pretty nice city. Other than the occasional shouting from a resident and some graffiti here and there. Didn’t care where I was headed, but I tried to avoid alleys. I’m sure if you took the time to visit the city at night, you’d do the same.

Anyways, after about an hour of walking, I got to what seemed like the center of the city. Prostitutes of all shapes and species leaning on walls, bars with absurd names, old newspaper decorating the pavement, and hotels where the aforementioned whores would take their customers. Man, Manehattan’s really the place to be if you wanna get laid and/or shanked, huh?

Huh? Oh, sorry, it’s just that I’ve been paying attention to them most of the time. What, didn’t think I’d get lonely? Hey, it’s just one of those times when you see another side to life, you know? It’s like how people forget shit by drinking, but the other way around for me.

Screw it, you wouldn’t get it anyways. Where was I?

I found a nearby bench, looking around. I was so numb that I didn’t even notice… Ah, damn, what was her– Gilded Lock! Yeah, she was sitting right next to me.

She muttered a quick “Excuse me” and stood up. Didn’t know lingerie counted as a uniform or what, but I asked her if she could spare a minute with me.

She said “Sorry” but I told her I didn’t want her service, just her presence. She looked pretty stupid when she made another excuse with that cigarette in her mouth.

She said she was going to the bathroom. I asked her where her pimp was. When she asked why, I told her that I wanted to kill him.

Hmph. We shared a quick laugh. Maybe that could be your payment for a little while?

She must have taken an interest in me despite it all because she sat back down. She asked me my name, where I was from, yadda yadda yadda. All the things that Sterling girl asked me when I bumped into her.

A bit more suavely than her, of course. That smile, her plastic mane, her blushed cheeks. God, how I wished to flay her skull.

It got kind of irritating, her getting to ask all she wants when she just sidesteps mine. What a bitch, huh? So I asked her about work.

Worked mostly at night. I mean, none of these have the guts to ask for sex in daylight. Something about the nighttime fitting the mood for every species. She also prefered the quiet, young ones. You know, stallions kinda like you, those who prefer to stay home with the nearest source of entertainment being their biology textbook.

When she asked me what I was into, I told her I didn’t have a sex drive. She looked around us and saw a couple ponies snickering. She looked around, scoffed, and got off the bench.

Hey, my kinks lie elsewhere. I’ll get to that later.

I feigned sleeping, and peeped where she was walking. Down the nearest alley, where a couple mares stood in the shade with an orange stallion.

‘bout time you showed up, he said.

Gilded tried to explain that I wasn’t a customer.

A slap. If he ain’t a customer, you’se job’s to make him one.

The mares tried to stop him, but he just dragged the three deeper into the alley. I craned my neck, looking for anypony to stop them, but they just went about their business.

I laughed right then. You’d think a modern city like Manehattan would have some competent police forces. I mean, this is like the place your uppity royals come to party while they pay off the cops.

Oh, don’t look at me like that. I’m sure your princesses like to indulge from time to time, too. I’ve seen that picture of her gorging on cake.

I looked around one more time. Everypony stopped staring, but I was still plenty visible. I couldn’t help smiling. If I was going to make a scene, I was going to have fun with it.

I walked to the alley. The pimp, I never got to learning his name, not that I cared, just shoved the two earlier mares off him and held them in place with his magic. I swear, you horned ponies are just too overpowered, yeah? You can restrain them with magic, you can make little shields, you can even make shit out of thin air, move celestial bodies. Damn.

Anyways, he was screaming at Gilded Lock, and I went in the alley with the best smile I could muster.

What? Don’t get fidgety now! This is the fun part! Oh, sorry! Yeah, this is exactly the kind of smile I had on me that night. I’m just so excited, you know?

He asked what I wanted, and I told him two things: Gilded Lock and him. He looked at me funny and said that he didn’t offer his services to deadbeats.

I told him to let her go. When he did, he got a hold of me with that freaky telekinesis and brought me deeper into the alley. A one-on-one session. Excellent.

He reached into a nearby dumpster and pulled out one of those twirly-knives, you know, the one you can do all kinds of flips and stuff? He said that if I came back to him without money again, he was gonna cut me bad.

And I said, and I quote: how many pills do you have to take to get it bigger than that knife?

He musn’t have like that too much, because he threw me to the wall. I got up just in time for him to jab that knife into my eye.

Of course, it didn’t work. I don’t know how; it’s like my eyeball was made of concrete at that point. Whatever it was, I didn’t even feel the knife hit me.

At that point, I burst out laughing and punched right at his horn. It went flying out of sight, and he curled into a ball from the pain. I picked up his knife and held it to his throat.

Don’t bitch out on me now. I asked for him, and I was getting him.

I didn’t kill him, but I did get him pretty good in the leg. Before he screamed, I pressed my muzzle with his.

And get your head out of the gutter.

I started with his tongue, then his lips, cheek, ear, and finished with an eyeball. It was a lot harder than I thought. You know how big pony eyeballs are?


Twilight didn’t look like she heard. Like him the prior night, she kept her body frozen in place. If she was scared, her paralysis was the only evidence.

“And after that, I left him there and got the girls to call the police, or what sorry excuse of cops there were in that city. I walked out of there afterwards, and a few days later, here I am.” He leaned back. He kept his eyes on her. “You getting all this down, Princess Twilight?”

Twilight blinked slowly and looked down. “I...I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say squat. I did my talk. Now it’s Celestia’s turn to figure out what to do with me. I still wish she’d find out how to kill me though.”

She sighed and walked to the door.

“Hey.”

“Yeah?”

“Do you mind doing me a favor?”

“Uh, sure? Anything to accomodate.”

He smiled. “Do you think you can get me a copy of that photo? To keep, I mean?”

Twilight returned stoic and fetched the portfolio before exiting.

She slammed the door behind her. Shining noticed her trembling legs and dashed to her side. “Easy. Lean on me.”

“Twilight, are you alright?” Luna asked. In a blink, everypony surrounded her.

Twilight shook her head. “I think I need some therapy.”

“She needs to rest,” Celestia said. “Cadence, do you think you can help her calm down?”

“I’ll try.” Cadence prodded Twilight’s horn with her own and casted a spell through them.

“What are you doing?” Luna asked. Colors flooded from Twilight to Cadence.

“Lightening the load,” Celestia said. “Emotions are not just hormones and chemistry. They are forces. Twilight is not just physically tired, but emotionally as well. This way, Cadence can learn what she’s gone through in that room.”

When the two were finished, Twilight smiled. “Thanks, Cadence. I thought I was going to melt with all that tension.”

“It’s nothing to worry about, Twi.” Cadence patted her head. “It’s a sign that you’re still a pony. Can’t say the same for him, though.”

Shining looked over Twilight, frowning. He pressed his hoof against the glass. “Princess Celestia, just let me in there once.”

The stallion inside must have noticed. He looked at what to him was his reflection and smiled. Regardless, it made his observers shiver.

“I’m sorry,” Celestia responded. “The last thing we need is him getting defensive when we’ve just got him to open up.”

“No.”

Everypony looked at Twilight. Luna cocked her head. “What do you mean? He has shown his true feelings, and has admitted to the crime with, as far as I could see, no dishonesty.”

“That’s what I mean.” Twilight shivered. Cadence wrapped a leg around her in comfort. “It’s...hard to explain.”

“Emotions usually are,” Luna remarked.

“It’s more, though.” Twilight fought the urge to look at him. “He’s there, but he’s not really all there. Am I making sense?” Twilight chuckled nervously. “Everything he says and does, I don’t know. After a while, I couldn’t even move a hoof to write anything down.”

“Maybe that’s part of his idea for a one-on-one session.” Shining snarled at him. He was bobbing his back and forth like he was listening to music. “Princess Celestia, just let me uncuff him.”

After staring into his eyes, Celestia nodded. “Very well. I’ll come with you. I have made my decision.”

“You have?” Luna asked dumbfoundedly.

Celestia nodded again and followed Shining through the door. The stallion kept his head bopping but his eyes were on them. “So? What now?”

“First, you’ll be uncuffed and released. However, you’ll be kept in the castle. You’ll be free to the castle as long as you are kept watch by any of us or the guards. Or would you prefer a proper jail cell?”

“So I’m guessing that’s my sentence for self-defense?” With the cuffs gone, the stallion got off his chair. “So where can I go?”

“If you’re not in a rush, come with us to the hospital wing. We can call some doctors to find what we can about your body.”

“And find what’s wrong with me. Excellent.” His smile widened and walked out of the room. He smiled at Twilight, who fought down her trembling. “You’re too sensitive for you’re own good.”

“Come on!” Shining shoved the stallion’s side and walked behind him. “To the hospital wing, now.”

He walked with everypony, but kept staring at Twilight. “So did you ask the princesses about the photo?”

“Uh, not exactly.” Twilight looked away.

“If you’ve got something to say, talk to me,” Shining interjected. “And no, we won’t be giving you a copy of that.”

The stallion looked at him and back to Twilight. “You’re both related.”

“That’s right.” Shining leered at him. “And don’t for a second think we’re done with you.”

“Don’t worry. I doubt you’ll stop until I’m dead. I sure wouldn’t. But honestly, with you and four alicorns surrounding me, what do you have to be so uptight about?”

When they arrived to the wing, a doctor reading a newspaper was already at the ready. “Princess-er, princesses! What can I do for you?”

“Just a check-up, Dr. Milkweed.” Celestia gestured to the stallion. “X-rays, heart rate, magic signature, blood pressure, whatever you can get without harming him.”

“Yes, Princess Celestia.” Milkweed raised a hoof to the stallion, smiling. “Hello, I’m Dr. Pan Milkweed. I’m one of the doctors here in the castle. And you are?”

“Call me whatever you want.” He took the hoof and shook it. “Earth pony?”

“Er, yes, that’s my race.”

“I’d thought the doctors here would be unicorns. What with the whole “magic telekinesis” thing they can do. A lot more versatile.”

Twilight and Cadence’s jaws dropped. Shining was about to slap his head but Milkweed kept his smile.

“Just goes to show how exceptional I am at my job.”

“Excellent.” The stallion released his grip and walked next to him. “I’m sorry if my remark came out wrong. You see, out of the two unicorns I know, none of them gave the best first impressions.”

Milkweed frowned. “I’m sorry to hear that. May I ask how?” He was too late in noticing the princesses’ cue of shaking heads.

“One was a wannabe hooker during the Gala and the other was a pimp. I ate the latter’s face.”

The doctor’s face fell and he looked back at his newspaper and back to the stallion. “You. You’re Trotter?”

“You’re quite calm. A good sign for any doctor.”

His eyes widened and he shuffled away from him. “Uh, Princess Celestia? Princess Luna? You know this is the Trotter from the news, right?” He held up the newspaper in front of them.

Luna grimaced and Celestia facehoofed. The morning papers showcased a photo of the Grand Galloping Gala. Specifically, the scene where the stallion was about to punch Celestia.

Cadence took the newspaper and went cross-eyes at the speed of skimming. “Assassin...spy...wanted pony...ugh.” She passed it to Shining and Twilight. “It’s nothing solid. Just rumours.”

“It’s nothing we don’t know so far,” Shining muttered. “Should have known this would be on the news. Didn’t think it would be this quick, though.”

As Celestia and Luna read it over, the stallion walked beside Milkweed. “So, doctor. Lead the way. Did you read about how Luna caused rubble to fall on me, yet I survived?”

The doctor didn’t know how to react. Trotter was friendly enough. That’s a good sign, right?

“No, actually. I guess most ponies were already evacuated by then.”

“Because doctor, there’s something very wrong with me. In more ways than one, I’m sure you’ve noticed.”


“So what have you found out about him?”

“Sadly, Princess Luna, nothing definitive.” Milkweed passed her a portfolio. “Basic tests, like you said, Princess Celestia. But nothing worked. Maybe he really is a ghost?”

“What is this?” Luna blurted. “Were your equipment faulty? There is nothing here!”

“No, those x-rays are right. He, as far as we know, no internal systems. Bones, organs, none. Not even his teeth showed up.”

Indeed, the only thing they could see was his silhouette.

“The sphygmometer was worthless, as he said he felt nothing. I tried getting a blood sample, but all of the needles broke when we tried to force it through his skin. I couldn’t detect any magic from him either. The only thing we got from him was his body temperature, and it was completely normal.” He scratched his purple mane. “In short, we got squat.”

“So nothing works on him? Then how are we supposed to…” Twilight looked at the patient’s room. “Should I talk with him again?”

“No, just leave him,” Celestia said. “He’ll be kept in the castle and monitored at all time, doctor, so don’t worry. May we see him now?”

“Yes, definitely. He was very friendly, but I suppose that’s not saying much?” Milkweed approached the door first. Common courtesy. “He’s reading one of the anatomy books. Makes sense he wants to learn as much as he can about-”

He stopped in his tracks and gaped at the sight. A creature, tall enough to for its head to touch the ceiling, was choking the stallion with its appendages.

It turned what looked to be its head at the ponies. Its white eyes scanned them and before anypony could react with a blast to its face, it disappeared. No burst of bright light, smoke, a pop, nothing.

The stallion fell to the floor, coughing. His eyes looked ready to pop from their sockets.

“Trot-I mean, mister!” Twilight ran next to him. “Are you alright?”

“I’m so sorry, Mr. Trotter!” Milkweed hoisted him to his hooves. “I should have reacted faster-”

“We all should have,” Cadence said, mostly to herself. All the royals shared her look of self-pity.

“What are you doing?”

“Uh, saving your life?” Twilight said blankly.

“No. You ruined my death.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Shining shouted. “You were being strangled by some...thing! And you were in pain!”

“I was. Suffocation is often painful to the victim.”

Celestia peered at his eyes. He mirrored her.

After a few seconds she frowned even deeper. “You’re back.”

“I never left.”

“No, I mean, you’re back to yourself.” She wasn’t sure what to say. What can you say to somepony that was nearly strangled yet so frighteningly calm?

Luna took over for her. “Your speech is back to normal and you are once again aloof.”

“Is that so?” He looked around the room. “I have already received the results from Dr. Milkweed. Is there anywhere else you have predetermined for me?”

When Celestia shook her head, he took Milkweed’s hoof. “Thank you for your help, doctor. May I borrow this?”

Milkweed recognized the object he held as the anatomy book he picked out. “As long as you return it, I guess.” He scratched his mane. “Will that be alright, Princess Celestia?”

Celestia sighed. Why did today have to be so long? And she had to deal with the public press about last night, too!

“I suppose this can count as reading material.” Celestia steeled herself. “But reading will have to wait. You were the only one who saw that...creature up close.”

“I was reading this book. The creature appeared. Wrapped its hands around my throat. You came in. Disappeared as fast as it came.”

“You know the creature?”

“No. First time I saw it.”

“But you described its appendages as “hands”.”

Luna caught on. “Yes, exactly! How did you know they were hands?” Equestria was almost completely composed of ponies and other equine life. The only known species possessing them were minotaurs, and that creature’s appendages were not a minotaur’s. Too spindly. Not furry enough.

The stallion blinked several times. Did they finally get to him?

“Hands?” He looked at his own hooves. “Hands. Why do I know them? Why do I know what hands are? Nails, fingerprint, feet, toes. Wait-huh? Why do I know those terms? Did I hear them from somewhere?”

“It’s a breakdown.” Milkweed grabbed his hoof and ushered him onto the bed. “Princesses, prince. Please leave us. I can handle this.”

“No,” Shining answered. “He’s mutilated a unicorn. We’re not leaving a berserk pony alone with you.”

“He’s right,” Celestia said. “We’ll take over from-”

“Man.”

Everypony stopped to look at him. He was back on his hooves and looked around the room. “Where is he? That man?”

“Hold on a second, just calm down,” Cadence coaxed. “We don’t even what that “man” was-”

“He is the one that can kill me.”

Without warning he pushed everypony aside with surprising strength. Celestia and Luna primed their horns, but he was already out of the room sprinting.

“Where are you?! I know you are still here!”

“No!” Luna was the first to react. She teleported in front of him and held him in her magic. “You will not leave until you have answered-”

She stopped when the creature appeared in the middle of the room, grasping the stallion’s neck in his hand.

“You!” Luna didn’t know how it kept bypassing the castle’s magic wards and dispelled her own, but she wasn’t going to let it discourage her. “Let him go now!”

The creature didn’t seem affected by the Canterlot Voice and kept his eyes and hand on the stallion.

“Do it. Come on,” the stallion sputtered.

A wave of magic filled the room. Shining and Celestia’s horns were glowing their brightest, and the latter’s mane was flickering like a bonfire.

“You will release him, now!” she shouted. The stallion’s eyes turned paler with every second in his grasp. Working in tandem, she and Shining covered the room with the strongest barrier they could create. “You cannot escape!”

The man released the stallion. He stared at his own hand almost curiously before disappearing once more.

Everypony sprinted towards the fallen stallion and either gasped or covered their mouths in shock. His eyes were wide open, but completely white like the creature’s. Other then that, he was immobile.

Twilight had to keep her tears in. “Is he...really-”

“We can’t jump to conclusions, Twilight,” Celestia said. Thankfully, magic still affected him so she could pick him up. “Doctor, we need all the hospital wing can provide. Call every doctor, nurse, and magic specialists you can. Go with Princess Twilight. She can brief everypony on what’s happened.”

“Yes, princess!’ He gave an affirming nod before running out of the room with Twilight.

“Shining Armor. round up the guards. Defensive protocols. You’re familiar with it, yes?”

“Of course, princess!” Shining saluted and teleported to the barracks.

“Cadence, Luna, I need your help checking his mental state.” She was thankful for the countless beds in the wing. “Also we need to make sure that creature doesn’t try anything to him any further.”

“But, not to be pessimistic, princess, but how can you be sure that creature won’t come back?” Cadence asked nervously.

Luna harumphed. “If that creature has any intelligence, it would know better than to be in the presence of two of the most powerful ponies in the world. Right, sister?”

Celestia nodded. She looked down at the stallion. His white eyes horrified her as they stared into nothing, but she couldn’t show any sign of weakness now.

Author's Note:

And lo! If people didn't think this was a HiE, it is now!

This came out sooner than I expected, really. At the rate I'm going, I'm probably pumping out one chapter a month. Not to good. Sorry, I just seem to be lacking a drive for writing lately. I got a lot on my mind right now, and real life's sucking me back in.

Hope this last month hasn't made me rusty with this story though. Let me know what you think and thanks to JBL and Vex for their work! Sorry if I badgered you too much about this!