• Published 22nd May 2014
  • 6,458 Views, 151 Comments

(A)mortal - RagingPonyRider



When an insane pony asks the princesses to kill him, they learn he's not as mad as he seems nor sane as we think.

  • ...
22
 151
 6,458

Tantalizing

He sat at his chair, stoic and facing the guard. His opponent did the same, waiting for the moment the pegasus would drop his guard for questioning. This was the moment they had been waiting for. They weren’t going to let up before him.

But the stallion didn’t even blink, as if they were locked in a world-class staring contest.

Over an hour.

He got out of his seat. He felt Trotter’s gaze burn a hole through him, but he kept himself stern. He nodded at his unicorn guards stationed by the door before exiting the room. Trotter’s seeming invulnerability was backed up not just by the princesses, but by their testimonies. What better than to keep him locked with the ones that know him best?

He closed the door behind him and faced the princesses. “He’s not going to talk, Princess. Should we get another pony?”

Celestia nodded. “He’s still closing himself off. But first, get a tray of food from the Gala..”

He hesitated for an instant, more than enough for Celestia to notice. “A glass of water for the nerves as well, Captain.”

This time, he saluted instantly and jogged out of sight, his face burning as he sped up.

Celestia stared into the glass and at the pegasus. “To think somepony could be guilty of such brutality.”

“It’s the only incident, but you can’t wave off the rumors about him as well.” Luna held up several papers. “A ghost pony to a immortal monster straight from Tartarus. Why haven’t we heard of this?

“Because it sounds absolutely insane?” Shining answered, holding the portfolio as tight as possible. “No offense, Princess, but every town has its share of secrets. Look at Ponyville. Anypony would sound crazy if they told a guard an immortal pegasus was in their town.”

A pair of clopping hooves was heard from the end of the hall, signalling Cadence and Twilight.

“We’re done clearing the guests out.” Cadence looked at the pegasus, frowning as she placed a hoof on the glass. “He’s so…calm for somepony that’s been arrested.”

“Just another sign he’s completely out of his mind,” Shining suggested. “According to the Manehatten records, he’s done some gruesome stuff during his visit.”

She took the portfolio but Shining didn’t relent. “You really don’t want to see it.”

“Shining, I’m a grown mare,” Cadence said and tugged it away from him. “I’ve watched more horror movies than you when we were young, remember? I’m not some little filly-eeeeeeek!”She slapped it close and tossed it back to Shining, her face turning several shades green.

“I told you,” Shining muttered and handed it back to Luna. “And if you think I’m going to give my little sister nightmares with this, you can share some of your horror flicks with her instead.”

Twilight frowned but kept silent about it. “What’s that? Evidence?”

“Yeah. Some witness reports, sightings, and a couple photos of his latest activity.”

“You mean like…murder?”

“It looks like it, but a witness said that the victim killed himself. Trotter there-” he pointed at him “-is charged with assault, and we’re split on whether it was self-defence or not.”

Twilight looked at the pegasus and shivered. The window was not only one-way, but enchanted for additional protection. Nevertheless, she could feel his stare on her the whole time.

“Has he been sitting still like that this whole time?” Twilight asked. “Not even to scratch an itch or adjust his chair?”

“Yeah,” Shining muttered snidely. “I don’t want to compliment, but he’d make a great guard with that stoicism.”

A few silent moments passed before the captain returned with a tray of food on his back.

“Princess.”

“Thank you, Captain.” Celestia took the tray and walked to the door.

“You’re going to talk to him, Princess?” Shining asked worriedly.

“Yes, and I want Luna with me as well,” she said, gesturing to her. “Some familiar faces might calm him down.” She faced the captain. “Which includes the guards leaving us alone. Twilight, I want you to write down our conversation behind the glass”

Twilight looked at Shining, who nodded solemnly. “Yes, Princess.” She magicked a parchment and quill at the ready.

Celestia and Luna entered the room and gestured the guards to leave. With only the three of them left, Celestia magicked a third chair for Luna to sit on while Celestia sat on the captain’s.

Trotter divided his attention between Celestia and Luna. He kept his face neutral and didn’t even look at the tray lain on the table.

“Please, eat,” Celestia urged him. “I know it’s late, but even we’re not innocent of midnight snacking.” She smirked, her eyes making that slightest movement to her sister’s directions.

“I thought we were to never mention that again.”

“I do not eat.”

Celestia frowned. “No? Such a handsome face, though. It would do no good to starve it.”

“It makes no difference. This body has remained itself for over two years. Eating and drinking does nothing. When will you kill me?”

“If at all possible, we are hoping to avoid that,” Luna said.

“Coming from the pony that hit first.”

Luna flinched. His answer had no malevolence, but she couldn’t back down now. “Only because you tried to punch-”

“Luna!” Celestia chided. “This isn’t about that. We just wish to know more about you, mister…”

“The guards called me “Trotter”.”

“I wish to know what you call yourself,” Celestia said. “And please, eat. Might as well not let it go to waste.”

“You eat, then. I have no name that I am sure of.”

“Make a name for yourself, then.” Luna was losing her patience. This pony was making no sense. First he says he’s two years old, and now he has no name? “We must have something to call you by.”

“Call me what you want.”

“Would you prefer to be kept being called “Trotter”?”

“It is preferable over other names.”

“Such as?”

“Walker.”

“May I ask why?”

“Overused.”

Luna groaned into her hooves. If it weren’t for Celestia, she would have flipped the table. ”I’m not even going to ask what you mean.”

“Just give us a name, any name, for us to call you by,” Celestia said, keeping strong for Luna.

The stallion tore his eyes from the princesses and looked at the tray. A salad bowl. A whole pear. Apple slices. A glass of water. What a coincidence.

Celestia resisted the urge to widen her eyes while Luna fell to instinct. “Is the food amusing to you?”

“No. I was reminded of a name. Someone else’s.”

Luna pressed on, throwing caution under her rump. “May I ask whose?”

“Tantalus.”

“Huh?”

It was Trotter’s turn to resist smirking. Her reaction was one of someone not getting a joke among their circle of friends.

“Tantalus.”

“Who’s that?” Luna reminded herself that she was supposed to remain calm, but she couldn’t resist asking. At least they were getting something out of him, right? And they were supposed to get him to calm down. “A friend?”

“A resident of Tartarus. After stealing food from the gods, he was punished with eternal hunger and thirst there.”

Luna gawked, first at the food, then the stallion, then back again. “How do you know about that? I mean, I only delivered such threats because of the Nightmare’s influence.” She was close to hyperventilating. “I never carried it out!”

“Maybe you forgot a memory or two.”

At this point, Luna was frantic. She looked at Celestia, silently begging for support.

“I assure you, Luna, that you have never imprisoned anypony to Tartarus, for any wrongdoing,” Celestia said softly. She shot a glare at Trotter, who reassumed his blank face.

Luna slowed her breathing and looked down. The glass of water caught her eyes, deciding for whatever reason to look so tempting to pour over her mane.

“Perhaps I am not the one needing calming.” The stallion pushed the glass over to her.

Luna eyed the glass and back to Trotter, as if he was going to break it over the table and shank her throat with the remains. Not that it would do much, but the fear was still there. He did much more than that, didn’t he?

It was only after he took his hoof back to his side that she took it, and even then, she wondered if baring her neck to him was a good idea. “I…thank you.”

“You can thank me by killing me, like you tried before.”

“Enough,” Celestia interrupted. They didn’t need to return to square one and get sidetracked a second time. “If you answer some of our questions, we might think of it.”

“Ask.”

Celestia opened the door and retrieved the portfolio. She replaced the tray with the folder. “First off, some clarifications. Have you been in Manehatten recently?”

“Five days ago.”

“Do you know of a mare named Gilded Lock there?”

When he didn’t answer, she pulled out a photo of an auburn mare. She had a unlocked padlock for a cutie mark.

“Her? Yes, I met her.”

“Do you know about her-”

“Pimp?” His face turned stony as he focused all his attention to Celestia. “Yes.”

“So you can attest to this?” She slid him the photo from the portfolio, making Luna bite her cheeks to keep a brave face.

“Yes.” He didn’t even look at the photo when he answered.

“Do you know his name?” Celestia lifted the paper to his face. but he remained stalwart. A technique used by most guards involving looking through the distraction, sometimes evident by crossed eyes. “Look at him.”

He ignored her, preferring to look directly at her unfaltering eyes. “No, I do not know his name.”

“Take this seriously,” Celestia said, her voice turning grim.

“I am. But I might no longer if you wave that picture around my face.”

She slammed the photo down and pulled a paper full of writing out in front of him. “Ms. Gilded Lock testified to the Manehattan Police Department about your…activity there.” She sighed and let the testimony fall limply to the table. She couldn’t be this hard on one of her ponies, despite his claims to the contrary. “Cooperate with us, and we might be able to reduce your sentence.”

“You will not kill me?.” His face turned even stonier, if that was possible.

“We might, but it will be difficult to kill you when you’re in a jail.”

He hung his head down. The princesses couldn’t see his face behind his mane, but from the way his frame shook, he was either seething in anger or sobbing.

“What. Do you. Want me. To do?”

His tone didn’t change, but the change of speech pattern was enough to snap the princesses to attention. Celestia had to choose her words carefully. or all her preparations could shrivel for nothing and he would close back up.

“Why and how are you like this? What happened?”

“I do not know.”

Celestia kept her gaze on him, but when he wouldn’t move or speak any further, she sighed. “We’ll talk more in the morning.” She gestured Luna to follow suit.

“Only one.”

“Beg your pardon?” Celestia asked.

“I will talk when there is only one other in the room. No guards. Everyone else can watch behind the window.”

He leered at the mirror while fidgeting with the photograph still on the table. Celestia snatched it, the remaining evidence, and the food tray away from him. She gestured to Luna to stand up.

“I can’t do that.”

“Then do not expect me to give a full answer.”

Celestia and Luna exited, allowing the two guards to resume their positions. With the clang of the door, Luna leaned on the wall for support while Celestia took the brunt of everypony’s attention.

“What do you think?” Cadence asked.

“He’s a very difficult pony. It’s as if he’s trying to be rational at all times. Even his way of talking is like a machine.”

“A machine?” Twilight repeated.

“Yes. But for now, we should get to bed. All of us. You recorded everything down, Twilight?”

“Yes, Princess,” she answered, holding up several sheets of parchment. “Uh, sorry. It’s nothing but scribbles, isn’t it? I’ll get this cleaned up immediately, Princess.”

“Please do, and send it to the captain when you’re done.” Celestia looked at her sister. She couldn’t take her eyes off the stallion. “Luna, don’t be scared of him.”

“I know, sister,” Luna said. “I have to be strong, I’m just worried.”

“He won’t be harming anypony else while we’re here, Luna. Remember that.”

“I just never saw anything like him. Him being immortal can’t be helpful.”

Everypony shivered at that.

Celestia turned to face everypony. “From now on, I ask that none of you reveal what’s happened at the Gala nor what you’ve heard tonight. He will remain under Canterlot custody until we find more about him. Princess Cadence, Prince Shining Armor, I hope you’ll understand. You may stay and help. We could use all we can.”

“Yes, Princess,” everypony responded.

“Uh, Princess Celestia?”

She faced Twilight, her hoof raised. “Will Trotter be questioned tomorrow too?”

“Yes. Until we learn more about him, we can’t do anything to help him.”

“But how are we going to help him? All he wants to do is die. How are you supposed to help somepony, an immortal, with that?”

For the second time that night, Celestia was caught off-guard. She kept her pace steady though. “First we learn as much as we can about him and the reason behind his immortality. To be honest, I don’t even know where to start with him if he doesn’t talk.”

“If so, who’s going to talk with him tomorrow?”

“We’ll decide on that after a good sleep,” Luna said, nodding at Celestia. “It’s two in the morning. We need all the rest we can.”

No more was said as everypony walked to their respective rooms, too tired to think anything but their beds.


“He didn’t sleep? At all?”

Luna shook her head. “He didn’t have any dreams. Either he has remained awake or there’s something preventing me from entering his dream.”

“Maybe he doesn’t need to sleep on top of eating?” Cadence asked, shuddering at the thought. Maybe “Tantalus” was his actual name and he truly escaped from Tartarus?

“Let’s get the guards out first,” Celestia said. “Captain, dismiss them for the day to recuperate. They must be exhausted.”

To everypony’s silent relief, the three ponies didn’t move from their original positions. The guards’ eyes were bloodshot, but nothing else changed.

“Would it kill him to tie his mane back?” Shining frowned at the stallion. His eyes were still obscured by that mangy mane. He opened the door and called the guards out. “Report.”

“Prince Shining Armor,” one spoke. “He hasn’t made any movement since you left. We thought he might be dead, but his mutterings proved us wrong.”

“Mutterings? You mean he was talking to himself?”

“Yes, sir. It was sparse, about once every couple hours, but we couldn’t hear what he was speaking. He ignored us when we told him to be quiet.”

“Very well. You’re all dismissed. Report to your captain and take the rest of the day off, Princess Celestia’s orders.”

When the two guards left, all eyes fell back to Celestia, all but asking aloud: who’s going to talk to him next?

“Does anypony here think they can talk with him?”

Everypony either stared at their hooves or had their mouths agape.

“Uh, sorry, Princess, but I thought you were going to be the one to talk to him,” Cadence said. “After all, didn’t he come talk to you during the Gala?”

She shook her head. “Not this time. I was thinking that somepony else could talk with him. Somepony he’s never met.”

“Why? Wouldn’t it be better to have him talk with somepony he already knows?”

“After the impression I left on him? Not at all. In fact, I thought the best choice would be you, Cadence.”

A chorus a “Huh?” bounced off the walls as Celestia covered an imminent smirk.

“Yes, you. Beside me and Luna, you’re the most experienced out of us. I think your empathic personality would also be beneficial in getting him to open up.”

“The way you’re saying it, sounds like you’re manipulating his emotions,” Cadence muttered. “Can’t you just go in there one more time?”

“Sorry, Princess, but I agree,” Shining said indignantly. “If he’s going to talk with anypony, it’s going to be me. I’m not letting somepony like him alone with my sister or my wife.”

“I as well!” Luna added. “Let me talk with him. He won’t think of any trickery this time.”

Celestia didn’t know whether to giggle or facehoof at the sight of the two struggling to butt each other out of the doorway. “What do you think, Twilight?”

She quietly groaned, hoping it would come off as one of pondering, as she looked at the pegasus. “I know you don’t want me to, but…I think I should talk with him.”

Even though she only meant it for Celestia, the entire hallway went quiet for a moment as Luna and Shining let their jaws drop.

Shining was the first to recover. “What did I say? Do you think I’m going to-”

“Don’t fret, Twilight Sparkle! The only pony he’ll be seeing is-”

“Princess Luna, just let me take care of him!”

As the two bickered, Twilight looked at Celestia, perplexed. “So what’s the call, Princess?”

Celestia sighed and tapped her hooves together for attention. “Basic democracy. Any objections?” When nopony let out nothing but sighs, she nodded. “Well then. All for Prince Shining Armor?”

One hoof

“Princess Luna?”

One hoof.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle?”

Two hooves.

Cadence was quick to silence Luna and Shining with her hooves before another argument sparked. “You know I trust your judgement, Princess. But can I just ask why you changed your mind?”

“Twilight’s been studying friendship for years. I’m not saying she befriend him, but I think she’s the most knowledgeable when it comes to interacting with others, even him.”

Shining pushed away Cadence’s hoof. He tried, and failed, to look calm. “Princess, I don’t mean to offend, but you’re talking about letting the youngest and the latest of royalty talk, alone, to a potential psychopath.”

“You will make sure no harm comes to your sister, correct?” Celestia asked.

“Of course!”

“Then you may wait to intervene outside the room.”

Shining gave a harrumph while Luna walked to Twilight. “Remember: your safety is first priority. You don’t have to force yourself.” She handed her the portfolio. “You may leave whenever you wish.”

Twilight steeled herself and opened the door, her mane blowing back.

The pegasus remained still as she approached the table. “Uh…hello, mist-urk! Shining?”

“Just a precaution, Mr. Trotter.” He marched behind him and held out a pair of cuffs. “Hooves behind your back now.”

“Shining, he’s not going-”

She stopped when she saw the stallion slowly but surely moved his hooves back.

“There.” Shining made sure the cuffs were on extra-tight. “Talk all you want.”

“Shining, take those-” the door slammed shut “-ugh! Was that necessary?”

When she received no response from the door, she sighed and sat down. She looked around the room, hoping for a good starting line to come to her. What was she supposed to do in this situation?

“So, uh…have you slept well?”

“No.”

“Oh. That’s right, I’m sorry you didn’t get the uh…some proper sleeping…material.” She wished she had his mane. Or Fluttershy’s. “I’m sure we can get you out of here soon.”

He made no indication he heard any of that.

She rested the portfolio on the table. “We just want to hear your side of the story. I’m sorry if we can’t help you, but we need to know more if you want us to even try.”

Still nothing. Was he waiting for a magic word or something?

“Oh! I’m so sorry! I was just so caught up that I didn’t…introduce myself.” She would have slapped herself if nopony was watching them. “I’m Twilight Sparkle. And you are…you don’t have a name. Sorry.”

She almost gasped when he turned his head up. His eyes were still obscured, but at least she could tell they were open.

“The latest princess?”

“Yes.” Her hooves were shaking with anticipation. No longer did it feel like she was talking to a ponyquin!

“Are you immortal as well?”

“Uh, last time I checked, no.”

“Hm.” He faced the window. “If only you two introduced yourself like her.”

They could feel the floor shake, no doubt from Luna’s tantrum. Something along the lines of: “You knew us from the beginning!”

“Even so, you don’t ask for a name without giving your own. Isn’t that common courtesy?”

Twilight giggled at the image of Luna huffing while Celestia rolling her eyes.

“Well, he’s got a point there,” Twilight laughed.

“You said you wanted to talk to me. Please show me the photo and testimonies.”

Twilight nodded but her hooves still trembled when picking out that photo. “Uh, can I ask why?”

“A reminder.”

He pulled the photo closer to him with his muzzle. He stared at it long enough for Twilight to think he had fallen asleep.

His body started trembling. He was muttering something under his breath and Twilight leaned forward to listen.

Laughter erupted, rebounding off the walls and deafening Twilight. He threw himself back, threatening to tip himself and his chair over.

“So he offed himself?! Good for him!”

Eventually, the howls dropped to giggles as Twilight got to her hooves. She was so startled she knocked over her chair trying to get away.

“What’s the matter? I thought you wanted to hear what I got to say?”

Twilight lowered her hooves and looked at him. It was jarring to see such a Pinkie-esque smile replacing his sombre appearance. She got chills just from the inconsistency.

“Please sit. It wouldn’t do your royal rump well to sit on the floor.”

“Uh, I’ll s-stand, thanks.” She corrected her chair but stood behind it, hoping it would somehow protect her from another outburst.

“Please, I insist.” His grin seemed even wider.”For now, this is the only way I can talk about what happened.”

Twilight panicked. She didn't know why, but a part of her brain screamed at her to run. Didn’t Luna say she could quit whenever she wanted?

But her legs wouldn’t move, at least to the door. She couldn’t take her eyes off his, like a beast ready to pounce.

But he waited, smiling.

“Take your time. I’m not going anywhere.”

Twilight felt like her heart was going to explode. But she knew better. She wasn’t going to let the princesses down! After some of Cadence’s breathing techniques, she sat back on her chair.

“Sorry if I scared you. I just couldn’t hold it back anymore.”

“Y-you mean, laughing?” Twilight didn’t know whether to look at his eyes or his pearly whites. “At what?”

“That photo. Ever since last night, I’ve been holding back. Not very courteous, laughing like a madman in front of the princesses.”

She scratched her head, flabbergasted. “You were laughing…at the photo?”

“Yep.”

“That’s horrible!” She couldn’t stop herself. Her hoof slammed the table instead of his face. “I thought you were grieving!”

“Why would I grieve for a pimp?” He leaned in. She could almost see her reflection off his teeth. “But don’t get me wrong. I just wanted to hurt him and leave him for the cops. I mean, wouldn’t you?”

Twilight was so distracted by this new phenomenon that she almost didn’t notice. She scootched back, making sure she had enough space in case he decided to take a bite out of her.

“You want to know what I got? Hmph.” He chuckled. “Where do you want me to start?”

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to Vex and JBL

Let's see this make in on the Featured Box, come on!!

EDIT: it's been reached!