• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 11,567 Views, 582 Comments

The Black Digi-Knight - jsk244



When you're the wrong man in the wrong place, what can the consequences be? When you hold all the cards but play the wrong game, what will the outcome be? When a world can be torn asunder by your very presence, will it mean war, or peace?

  • ...
28
 582
 11,567

Destiny in Doubt

Four months later...has it really been four months? In the time since my last major offensive, the seasons have changed from the chill of winter to the warmth of spring. I’ve been diligent in following my own advice to lay low, bar occasional explorations of the castle at large. Living the life of a simple and kind pet with Cadance has actually been quite nice. I could for days at a time forget about my crusade to restore my power and freedom, instead building friendships with the castle staff and other ponies that frequented the grounds. I knew that for all that I wanted to leave Equestria far behind once restored that friendship was a major step toward having positive emotions as the first response about me, especially since Celestia and Luna would no doubt begin a smear campaign anew once I escaped from under their noses. Again.

Speaking of the princesses; Their own efforts in regards to me continue to ramp up in a decidedly negative manner. Princess Luna had taken great offense to my attack on the barracks, just moments after she had left to fume elsewhere over the tongue lashing Shepard had given the alicorn no less. She was rarely sighted in the capital anymore, with the Night Guard being forced to scout and hunt along the various borders of the kingdom to the point they had all but vanished. Rarely would one be seen at the castle, forcing Shining Armor to once again cover their posts at all hours of the day and night with his own forces. I learned as an aside that this was why I had spied them in the lower levels that night I infiltrated the Armory; with their numbers still low since Luna’s reforms as well as her constant hunts, there was little guarding that the Lunar Guard actually bothered with under her command. All of this was not having a positive effect on her public image. Many nobles and upper crust ponies had begun to speak about her behind her back. Calling her unfit to be a princess, a crude and ruthless taskmaster. It would seem I wasn’t the only one disturbed by her darker and harsher form, but Princess Celestia often stepped in to defuse the worse of the rumors and hearsay. That also however had some commenting on how she was ‘covering her sisters flank’ over her gross abuse of power. Considering what I knew of Luna’s worst actions, such as with Lieutenant Shepard, I could only nod and agree with their beliefs.

As for Princess Celestia herself, relations with her were...adequate. Although she had pushed and attempted on multiple encounters to sway Cadance into releasing me, my caretaker had stubbornly held against the elder alicorn’s words. It had even devolved into a few shouting matches not unlike the first time in her bedroom, before finally Celestia had all but given up and chose to ignore me instead. I wasn’t too sure as to why she was so hostile toward me, but as Cadance had scolded me once over being aggressive I figure it was better to let things be. That, and of course I found a good outlet for my annoyance at the alabaster pony in the form of pranks. With most of the staff being told to leave me be I have the chance to move around mostly unmolested even if technically I wasn’t supposed to be in some sections. As such, I’d taken to leaving small surprises every now and then around where Celestia frequented. A bucket full of sudsy water over a door, a whoopie cushion in her seats, hot sauce on her desserts. Nothing harmful, unless you counted her public image sometimes. She had taken the pranks in stride so far, although nonetheless was perturbed that someone could be getting her at all. Her guards certainly felt mortified whenever a prank was pulled successfully. I wonder what they will think if ever they learn that it was the Black Knight pranking them like this, and with such basic tricks as this. That would certainly go toward several weeks of good cheer and mirth for me.

Cadance, my loving companion and unknowing partner in crime, had not changed much herself. To this day she continued to follow a set schedule for her days in and out of the castle. Study, break, study, break, study...shop, and then lastly study after her day of break. It was dreadfully dull overall, but she kept things fresh by not trying to study the same thing twice or doing the same leisure activity in a row. It worked well in letting me learn more about Equestria and the world, expanding what I already knew from the series before arriving here long ago. The days off kept the worst of cabin fever away, but even still it gnawed on my brain at the worst of times. Even Cadance became jittery over time, taking to studying in less traditional locations so as to ‘have a breath of fresh air’ for her sessions. I personally liked when we spent time in the Royal Library, as I could peruse the books on the shelf if anything Cadance had with her wasn’t enough for my curiosity.

I have to wonder how she handled this lifestyle before me, since often the way she worked off her nerves when relocating failed was by playing with me. Perhaps Shining Armor had been a distraction; he still was really. They spent lunch often with one another, and I had left her quarters a few times to give them some privacy if ever they wanted to cuddle and be a bit more intimate. She also talked with the staff a lot; the older ponies seemed especially close to her and always took time from their tasks to speak with her about how they’d been since last. The younger generation was also polite and kind, but there was a sense of uncertainty in their motions. Their gazes seemed to flicker oddly to her crown, or wings, before trying to maintain polite conversation. It made me feel as if the idea of not one, but two (three really) princesses was absurd or alien to them. Perhaps they were more used to ‘Prince’ Blueblood, who was simply a unicorn, or perhaps the shadow of Celestia was still casting itself over other alicorns even after one-thousand years to learn better.

I try not to think about it much. Princess Cadance was clearly happy, especially whenever I sensed out her emotions. Her life was quite pleasant and if she had no qualms about having few responsibilities, then it was not my place to huff and protest the oddities of her life. Even if I wanted to, how could I? A pet had no voice to question the workings of life after all. So instead I simply enjoy being Koromon the Blob; today would be no different toward that goal.

“Koromon!”

“Koko!”

Jumping out of the bathroom, I laugh and cackle as I hear numerous splashes behind me. The loud thump of a body tumbling out of the tub is followed by hooves squeaking and clattering across the slippery tiled floors. By the time I’m on the bed and far away enough, Cadance at last bursts into the room with a cloud of bubbles, a bar of soap in her mouth as she drips water everywhere. She looks a right mess with her fur matted and covered in bubbles, her mane limp over her eyes and horn, wings drooping and dragging across the floor. Spitting out the soap, she uses her horn to brush aside enough of her hair to glower at me and snort.

“You get back in there right this minute young lady.” She orders, stomping a hoof and getting a very unsatisfying ‘squick!’ for her troubles. She grimaces at the feel of damp hoof on damp carpet. “You haven’t bathed in over three days and stink! You will. be. bathed.”

Technically, I’ve not bathed with her for three days, so she’s correct on that front. I however have been taking baths just fine; the issue with my smell today is from her nasty morning breath drool and its applications to my skin from being hugged beneath her muzzle all night long. It was not a pleasant sleep and this was my revenge for it.

So I reply with a raspberry. “Komor!”

“Grr, you- Ai!?” Cadance takes a step forward, but had forgotten to check where the soap had landed. Her hoof comes down atop the slick bar and immediately it flies out, taking her balance with her. She flies up and over onto her back, slamming hard into the ground enough to be felt, yet still filling the air with the noise of wet carpet and tile squeaking and squishing. A small whinny fills the silence as she sits there, eyes wide in shock for a moment, legs pointed up into the air. Then, her legs flop down, she sits up, and ignites her horn which casts dark shadows over her angry face.

“That’s it, no more nice Princess.”

Picking up the soap that had landed next to me, I deck her on the forehead and leap toward battle. The ensuing water battle would be the things of legend in times yet untold.


The Canterlot Castle Gardens ringed most of the eastern and northern corners of the grounds and surrounding mountainside. It was composed of several different venues of entertainment, ranging from flower beds to tennis courts, and was open to the public for several hours every day. The nobility especially used its services to host numerous parties and social events, and so next to several of the hotspots were extensions and rooms that could hold more traditional events like balls and tea parties. The main veranda was an especially large affair, with a small pond set into it with fountains and a seated section set above the main flowerbed and animal sanctuaries. The in-house dignitaries and nobles use it to enjoy breakfast and lunch during the warmer days of the year, as did myself and Princess Cadance once done cleaning up. From time to time, a maid on waiting duty would sweep by and refill drinks or take orders, but otherwise we were free to enjoy the peace of the day alone.

Said peace of course was especially delightful to me as unlike Cadance, I was smiling. Nibbling on my stack of blueberry pancakes, piled high with butter and syrup, I take a glug of milk before looking over to my companion. Cadance, sitting there with ‘prench’ toast and several strawberries, was frowning and pouting as she stares at me. She was still pretty damp and had even forgone the usual regalia so as to not let it rust, making her look even younger and dare I say it, cute, in her anger. She had not won the battle earlier and to top it all off, I’d managed to find and then force the newest bow she’d intended for me onto her own neck. It looks quite nice against her pink fur with its light blue cloth, if I may say so myself.

“You suck.” She mutters.

I reply with a good mouthful of pancake and noisy chewing. The sweet taste of victory.

“Did you really have to run out into the bedroom too? The maids will have to change all the covers twice in one day because of that. The carpet will need replacing too.”

I swallow my bite and wave a tentacle ear in a circle. “Korro.”

“Not to mention how soaked all my notes and books probably are. I’m just glad I left the window open so the sunlight and wind can dry them off.” Cadance huffs. “And how am I the one wearing a bow after all of this? How did you even know I had that stashed there for you?”

I shrug and hide my smirk behind another sip of milk.

“At least Shiny will like it…” She trails off to take a vicious bite of her toast. Focusing on just gobbling up her meal, she devours the platter with several noisy bites. This always amused me to see; although perfectly fine with eating in a more ‘refined’ manner, Cadance in private gobbled food like a starved man, and just as messily. Her mood really must have been off from my antics earlier for her to ignore decorum, and the sight of nearby ponies staring at her has me chuckling under my breath. When she finally finishes, she burps and takes a swig of milk that leaves a white moustache on her lips. “Speaking of Shiny - I was going to talk with him today. We really need to talk about a few things, you know, for the…” She wiggles her hoof, and then pauses to wipe her mouth once she feels the milk dripping from it. “Whoops. I don’t see what the fuss has to be about, since it’s not like I care to have a crazy wedding. I’m already marrying the stallion of my dreams.” She smiles, a distant look in her eyes.

Then she sighs and shakes her head. “But he does have a point. A royal wedding is bigger than what I want, not to mention he’s the Captain of the Day Guard too. Even if I’d rather keep the ceremony to close friends and family, I’m sure the nobles and some diplomats would raise a stink if I don’t let them enjoy a lavish affair and the chance to impress me, Auntie and Shining Armor for favors or something. Politics.” I roll my eyes in agreement with her. “But I’m totally calling the shots for the wedding reception. As soon as all the classical stuff is over? Well, I know a pretty nice DJ.”

I chuckle and nod, knowing who she’s talking about. To be honest I’m surprised by how Cadance views the upcoming ceremony. Going by what I’d seen in the show I would guess at first that she was every bit the girly-girl when it came to romance. She was, make no mistake, but she was also just as smitten with the idea of burgers and a board game as she was fine wine and the private booth of a five star restaurant. To her, a wedding wasn’t some flashy public affair but one that was both intimate and sincere. Perhaps she was jaded from marriages that had broken up? I doubt the Princess of Love cares for divorces, though feeling true love is more important than keeping a fragile or broken bond too. Maybe the simplicity of the act somehow made the impact more powerful. After all, you wooed by doing big things, but would the emotion be just as strong in the day-to-day as well? A good test for lovers everywhere, and suddenly I realize I’ve been contemplating love like a philosopher or something. Time to get back on track.

“Since we didn’t have anything else planned, would you like to come with me Koromon?” Cadance asks. I think about it and then shake my head. “Yeah - too much paperwork not enough fun, I agree. I think I’ll take Shiny out to lunch then as well, meet you back in the room before dinner? How does Pasta Garden sound?” Smiling, I nod and she smiles back. “Great. I’ll see you later Koromon.”

“Kor Koromon.” I wave as she gets up and leaves. Left on my own now, I sit and digest for a bit while the maid comes over to clean. She smiles at me and gives my head a little pat, to which I chuckle and hug her hoof with a tentacle for. So what should I do today? I’m not looking to prank Celestia again just yet, and the day is simply too lovely to spend indoors either. Perhaps a walk around the garden to enjoy the weather and season. The statue display actually wasn’t too far from here; perhaps I could visit a certain acquaintance atop his pedestal.

“...hear that Fancy Pants…”

A few words drift over and catch my attention from a nearby table. Turning slightly, I peer from the side of my rather large eyes at the speaker. There were two upper crust mares sitting and gossiping, a couple glasses of what appeared to be fruit parfaits half eaten in front of them. Both were leaning into one another with their large brimmed hats shading them from the sunlight, giggling and looking far too involved with their conversation to see the outside world.

“The derby? Oh my, he must be hoping to win it big as usual.” One titters.

“Oh he never gambles darling. He’s far too involved with more proper means of gaining bits after all. It would be terrible for his reputation.” The other replies.

“Well then why even bother? I hardly see the appeal to it all - watching those pegasi fly around in circles is such a boor.”

“Oh tell me you’re joking darling! Don’t you know about the VIP box? All the important ponies and sponsors sit up there and talk. That’s where all the real business gets done.”

“Really?” The first gasps.

“Really dearie. Fancy Pants even uses it as an opportunity to hoof out invites to his party as well - lots of prospects and aspiring ponies would fall over their own hooves to get such an honor.”

“Then the whole week of soirees he goes through before his garden party…?”

“Business, and making connections.” The second mare tuts and playfully nudges her companion. “Really darling, you have so much to learn. Just what has your father been teaching you all these years?”

“Well...to bow properly and maintain balance I suppose.”

“Oh, there’s far more to being a proper lady than that my dear. We’re the real power behind the stallion don’t you know.” The two look each other in the eye, and then break out into laughter and clink their glasses together.

Fancy Pants, a derby and a garden party? That certainly sounds all familiar. I know Fancy Pants from around the castle as being one of the biggest, richest nobles around. With a charm and flair few could match he’d risen from obscurity to being one of the biggest entrepreneur’s in the country practically overnight. He was elevated to noble status for ‘services rendered to the crown’ and now spent his time travelling around Equestria overseeing his business and attending/hosting various parties and soirees. But surprisingly not much else was known about him; as much time as he spent in the spotlight, his personal life was very private. Some of the high society ponies around believed that to even attend one of Fancy’s events was to guarantee success on their next venture. There was some truth to it; The biggest event he threw all year was his annual Garden Party here at Canterlot Castle. While not the largest or most extravagant it was where he did most of his actual business with his closest associates as well as bright prospects he’d scouted out over the past year. Cadance herself had attended the party once before, leading to me hearing about it in passing as she’d received an invitation just last week. After going she’d been bombarded with suitors and opportunists, however, so while she appreciated the continued invites she always declined now to avoid more unpleasantness. Especially since Shining Armor would probably get very protective and jealous.

But that wasn’t the only reason I knew of the party. With the mention of the derby I could now align my knowledge of the show with real life again, leading me to believe that the events of Sweet and Elite were about to begin. I recall the episode having Rarity staying in Canterlot for the week and ending up socializing with Fancy Pants and several other elites of the town. But what she should have been doing was shopping and preparing Twilight’s gift for her upcoming birthday. In the end, after trying to duck out from attending Twilight’s party in favor of Fancy’s, she comes to realize that she was trying to hide her roots and that you should never do that in the name of social standing or peer pressure. It was fairly nice for an episode overall, and the lesson was good with even a song earlier in the episode to emphasize her mindset during it.

Turning my gaze toward the castle, I stare past it in my mind's’ eye toward the south and Ponyville. Hard to imagine that just a few miles from here Twilight Sparkle was fulfilling her destiny along with her friends. They rarely interacted with Canterlot or the princesses so I didn’t often have to even think about their adventures. It was a relief; as much as I liked the idea of talking with them, befriending them, helping them even with some future troubles, I know I shouldn’t. Every action has a reaction and I was already interfering with ways were running in Canterlot. The butterfly effect could be a powerful force without careful consideration, and down in Ponyville things were already prone to random chance and circumstances. Thankfully none of it should be impacting Twilight, considering again the low importance of the capital until the wedding. But that also meant I was under a deadline of sorts. I didn’t want to inadvertently shift events to the point that Twilight never discovered her destiny. That she wouldn’t be given the journal by Celestia, that the final spell of Starswirl the Bearded wouldn’t be cast. To do that, I would have to leave prior to or swiftly after the wedding. Maybe stay long enough to at least ease the strain on Cadance from being down in the crystal caverns, and then hightail it out of here with my armor and power returned to me. From there...well, there was a very sizable world out there. A world tour wasn’t out of the cards just yet.

Still...I can’t lie and say there isn’t some part of me that wants to stick around. Perhaps step in at places and help out. Maybe even goad the princesses and Mane 6 with my presence, playing mind games with my continued actions of both antagonizing them and yet also helping. It could be an amusing pastime, but I shake my head quickly at the thought. That would be completely counter to all my efforts so far, especially after my horrible actions at the barracks. I could not forgive myself for going berserk like I had from my powers overcoming me even for a brief time like that. Plus, while blame ultimately fell upon Luna, I still felt the sting of guilt from Shepard’s forced retirement. I would have to find a good gift to give her in apology, either anonymously or in person sometime in the future.

Hopping out of my chair, I wiggle a bit to wake my body up and then begin hopping toward the gardens. I feel decidedly unbalanced and a visit to the local sealed chaos spirit would do me some good. If nobody was around, perhaps I would even share some of my tale with him. He might get a good laugh from my pranks, and perhaps feel silly for dismissing me as just a little blob when he first broke out. Perhaps that too would be amusing to him, who knows how he thought. He was screwier than Q, that’s for sure.


The derby began the next day, but it wasn’t until the second day that we had time to enjoy it ourselves. That meant that once free I was atop Cadance’s back as we made our way through Canterlot and the bustling crowd of ponies likewise heading to the race track. The Wonderbolts Derby was an annual event held in the capital every spring. For three days there would be racing, drinks, games, events and even a small concert on the final night. Racers from various species would come and gather to show off their stuff with special highlights including an inter-team competition of the Wonderbolts, hence the name of the derby, and an air show face-off between the griffons and pegasi. Sort of like a dance battle only in the air. While primarily geared toward aerial events, there were more than enough ground races as well that just about anyone could compete in as long as the name of their game was speed. Only the Equestria Games boasted a bigger stage for speedsters to compete on, and those were only done every four years like the Olympics back home.

What also was important about the Derby was that it was a major social event for high society. Dressed in everything from classic formal wear to roaring twenties casual dress, they mingled with the common folk on the way to the show where they would wine and dine in private booths and boxes. Sponsors and owners of teams especially would be there boasting and doing backroom deals for trading team members, or showing off their prized new stars while gambling away their small fortunes on bracket placements in the upcoming season. And speaking of gambling; the Derby was also one of the biggest Bit generators still legal in central Equestria, with only Los Pegasus beating it out as the gambling capital of the world. The gambling windows would be open all three days and be making heavy bank on numerous bets made by thousands of ponies and foreign tourists coming to see the show. Some ponies would be making their fortunes today while others lost all but the clothes on their back. Even I wanted to get in on it, though only because I knew the outcome of at least one race I was certain would occur.

As we enter the lobby the noise level around us grows to deafening levels. Two unicorns and three pegasi are flitting about and magically moving chalk around across a giant board that was displaying the races today and their odds. The windows below as expected were packed, though turn-around was high as armed guards made sure nobody stuck around for long once business was concluded. Across the hall and indeed down every hall, the cry of numerous vendors, from food to gift, cry out their wares and the smell of greasy food hangs heavy in the air. If it wasn’t so appetizing to sniff I might have gotten very queasy from the scale of it.

“I swear it gets crazier every year.” Cadance says to me, gently making a path from her presence alone. Ponies tended to notice when you had wings and a horn. It certainly made navigating this mess easier. “The gambling especially - I mean just look at those odds! They’re really underestimating Fleetfoot.”

“Oro?”

“Fleefoot, over there see?” She points at the centerpoint of the board over the various windows. Several noteworthy Wonderbolt names were on display, and I spy Fleetfoot among them. She was the one pony I knew would be winning something today. “She doesn’t have much in terms of endurance or power, but her lithe and small frame makes for some incredible speed! I wouldn’t be surprised if she won the race, especially not when Rapidfire is the top contender she’s against.”

I nod along, and then tilt my head in curiosity. “Oro?”

“Rapidfire. He’s one of the top rookies from last year’s recruitment. Better than Spitfire in sheer wingpower and endurance, and she’s the Captain of the Wonderbolts for a reason. But he’s built like - well, he is a stallion, and that means he’s a lot bigger and heavier than a mare. His bulk will slow him down no matter how fast he is in the straight through, while Fleetfoot will easily cut through and keep a strong pace even in his hot zones.” Cadance shakes her head. “His odds and skills will probably win him a lot of the events he’s in, but in the main race? Nah.”

Nodding again, I watch as Cadance begins to walk away, but she pauses as we’re about to take the stairs up to the next level. She glances back, then down the halls in either direction. “Say Koromon, do you want to grab a snack or anything?”

Even a mainly vegetarian race like ponies can still fry with the best of humanity. But at least here they seem to use more organic and safer ingredients, like panko batter for most of their stuff. “O morokor ko.”

“Great! Then, why don’t you go get something and bring it back up to the box. Just follow the signs and look for the guards, can’t miss it. I’ll go use the little filly’s room in the meantime, sound good?” I lift an eyebrow, but nod. It was nice to see that she trusts me that much to go out on my own in public like this. Especially with how busy the stadium was today. As she lifts a small bag of bits out of her bag, I take it in my tentacle and gently wrap it up to keep secure. “Get me a tofu dog would you?”

“Koko morok!” I reply, hopping off and waving as she heads toward the ladies room. I jiggle the bag some to guess the amount inside of it and hum, looking toward the betting windows. Tofu dog, maybe some nachos, and…

Several minutes later I finally escape the mad throng of the first floor and head toward the VIP staircase. The first two floors were primarily meant for the public’s use, but the third and smallest floor was cordoned off by both stadium security and a few royal guards assigned to the derby for its duration. Since they know me from around the castle the guards let me pass without issue, and I make my way up following the signs toward the one box set off from the rest of the balconies and booths meant for VIP. The Royal Box was set under the announcer booth and has the best view of the track, along with towering walls that prevented any kind of intrusion by the spectators in any direction around it. Carpeted with red rugs and couches, there was also a single throne close to the edge that Celestia usually sits in while her guests relax around her. Today, Cadance was the only occupant besides me, and she was standing next to the throne eyeing it speculatively.

“How Auntie sits in that thing...my butt was falling asleep.” She mutters, shaking her head. “Maybe it’s because of all that padding she- oh! Koromon. Were you okay getting up here?” I chuckle and nod, offering up the tofu dog in one tentacle. “Thanks girl, want a hoof for your nachos?”

Shaking my head, I hop onto one of the lounges and gently take off the little platter of nachos that had been sitting on my head with careful balance. Cadance joins me forgoing the throne she’d been muttering about, and we settle in to enjoy the day’s races. The second day’s events were the bulk of the derby’s grand events. Right now, a marching band competition of a sorts was going on between a group of ponies and what looked to be Diamond Dogs surprisingly. I honestly was impressed by the coordination the dogs were showing, using their height and long limbs to even throw out a few acrobatic stunts such as a small pyramid and jumping through arms while still playing. Cadance and I cheer both teams on for their incredible performance, and the time passes smoothly. We have about an hour before the main event begins, and it seems that the event coordinators had chosen to use it as a halftime show for some of the non-racer feats. Eventually though that time passes, and soon the trumpets begin to blare.

“Lllaaadies and gentlecolts!” The announcer above cries out over the PA. “We know you’ve waited, we know you’ve bet it all for this! The main event you’ve all been crying out to see all day today - the Wonderbolts Derby!” The crowd erupts into cheers as down below a crew of pegasi begin to rapidly shift the stadium floor into a cloud track. Somehow the ground was lowered several feet to give the illusion of it all being done at high altitude, and then a shimmering magical field casts a blue sky image beneath it all. “In just fiiive minutes we’ll be watching the best of the best compete head to head in the truest test of all! Speed! Skill! Fleeexibility~” That got a few laughs and catcalls from the stallions, including me and Cadance for good humour. “Who’s going back to base with the top gold today? Who’s going to outshine even the top stars of the Wonderbolts? Well we certainly have quite the line-up today folks of strong new recruits and rising stars. First, we have…”

“I love the derby.” Cadance says, her voice blocking out some of the announcers introduction speech. She looks down at me with a wistful smile on her face, a hoof gently rubbing the top of my head. “I remember when I was very young actually that I wanted to compete in it. Nowadays, I’m just delighted to be here and get to see it all happening.”

“Ko?” I look up at her. Down below the Wonderbolts have begun flying around and getting onto their marks.

“Mmhm. I love flying - sadly the guards get really huffy when I try to get out and stretch my wings.” She looks up at the clouds, the ones above in the sky, with a sad smile. “Always saying that it’s too dangerous, or not proper protocol. ‘Please use the chariot’ and ‘We can’t guarantee your safety if you’re flying out in public’ blah blah blah. I keep telling them to just follow me, but then the next thing I know Shiny or Celestia is coming to me and ‘subtly’ dropping the rules and decorum I should be following as a Princess of Equestria in our conversation. Ugh...I know they care about me, but it’s so...stifling! I want to feel the breeze! And not just from the open window of my bedroom.”

I give her leg a hug and she smiles a bit brighter in thanks. Cadance really does seem to love flying and the sense of freedom. It makes me wonder if perhaps she was originally a pegasus before becoming an alicorn. After all, Twilight Sparkle became one, so perhaps it wasn’t so much being born as one as transforming. What did that mean for Princess Celestia and Luna? It wouldn’t shock me if they were both unicorns too; they hold themselves very similar to how all the unicorns around Canterlot seem to. Not like Cadance, who for all her kind and almost motherly nature, has a wild heart more in line with Rainbow Dash. I wonder how she achieved the transformation without a horn? Then again, all ponies have magic, so perhaps she simply is the first to defy expectations.

“Racers, on your mark!” The referee calls, taking our focus down again toward the stadium track. My eyes quickly hone in on Fleetfoot, who was the smallest mare in the herd below. When the whistle blows, the pegasi all dash off, the cheer of the crowd blotting out additional commentary from the announcer. From the beginning a few stand out, with Fleetfoot and Rapidfire taking a strong lead among the herd. They battle for first place, with Rapid holding the front for most of the race as Fleet lags in the straightaways. As they come upon the last lap however, Fleet makes her move. Pushing ahead with a burst of speed, she actually cuts Rapid off and forces him to the outside, where his bulk and weight finally catch up to him. As he flaps hard to turn sharp, Fleet cuts ahead by a mile, and even if he pushes off after her soon enough, the damage was done. The referee waves the checkered flag just as the announcer shouts, “And it’s Fleetfoot by a nose! Fleetfoot wins!”

“Woohoo!” Cadance cries, drowned out by several others and many more that groan. “Yes! That’s my girl, you go Fleetfoot! See Koromon, I told you she would win!”

Laughing, I nod and then perk one ear up as one voice seems to stand out from the crowd around us. I can’t quite put my finger on why, but the familiarity of its tones makes me look around to hone in on it. As I spy one of the VIP balconies I see a flash of a monocle and identify Fancy Pants right away. He was a very distinguishable stallion in his style and height, but the mare next to him catches my eye the most. Decked in a summer dress and large hat, Rarity was whooping in delight as several other elites of Canterlot chat around her in shock and surprise. She must be celebrating over having named the right winner, and as the ponies swarm her to talk I know things are swiftly being set up for the rest of the episode before my eyes. It was...strange. Not bad, but very strange to see it happening like this. The angle was all wrong, the ponies more detailed and less colorful in places, the ambient noises of the scene so loud and distracting…and yet I was fascinated by the sight. This was confirmation that indeed the show was happening at the same time I was here. I could easily go to Ponyville at any time and perhaps stumble across another friendship report event.

Shaking my head, I look up and chirp a little noise at Cadance who was still giddy. She replies by nuzzling me, and we take to watching the next few races. My eyes only linger over the balcony and Rarity a few more times throughout the day.

As the sun begins to set, hours later, the derby comes to a close for the day. Tomorrow the final races would be held and a ceremony would take place to celebrate another year. But for the two of us we would be back into studying and learning more about the world. Most ponies have already left the stadium by now, making it an easy trek down the stairs to the first floor. Only those looking to cash in whatever winnings linger around the betting windows, while some janitors and staff clean up and put away whatever was needed before opening tomorrow. As Cadance begins to pass by, I give her a little tap on the ear and she flicks it back before turning her head toward me. “Yes girl?” She asks.

Nodding toward the betting lines, she gives me a small confused look. Smirking, I hop off and move to stand in line. I hear her follow me, and I ignore her probing questions until I hop up onto the little counter to talk to the stallion on the other side. He gives me a queer look, but upon recognizing the royalty behind me, takes the little slip I offer him and actually looks at it.

“Well, I’ll be a Diamond Dogs uncle! You’re quite the lucky blob there little fella’.” He remarks in surprise. “Not many folks actually put up this bet, so you’ve made quite the pretty bit from all of this. Wouldn’t suspect I’d be paying out to er, one such as yourself, but if the princess approves then I suppose I’ll have to add this tale to my collection! One second.”

As he moves out of sight, Cadance grunts out a very unladylike noise. “Are you telling me you used my bits for a bet?” I shake my head. “Well then how did you even pay for this? Come to think of it, I know you gave me back some change for the food.” I give a little mysterious smile in reply. I’d found that in addition to storing my armor, my ability to Zip items into my form could include other non-organic items such as currency. It even gave me a small counter to keep track of how much was inside of me, and I had been saving up slowly via fallen bits and little tips from the more generous ponies around the castle. I’d banked all of it on this little gamble, and now the payout would see me comfortable for quite some time. Excellent road money for the future, in other words.

“You shouldn’t be gambling Koromon.” Cadance begins to scold me. “Gambling is never a healthy way to spend your bits, and if you ever lose then you’re just broke, and then what? Do you know what the odds are of any bet actually succeeding, much less breaking even or doubling your earnings? You should have given me whatever money you had so I could put it away somewhere, like the bank! At least then you would be earning interest...although I suppose it is a little odd to imagine you having a bank account.” She rolls her eyes up in thought at that.

Said thoughts immediately derail as the stallion returns, carrying not one, but two heavy sacks of bits. Setting them down on the counter, he has to open the partition just to pass them along, and I happily chirp a thanks out as I slide them to either side of me. “Darndest thing I’ve seen all day. Somepony - someblob - winning their weight in gold and then some! Ain’t seen something like that in all my life.” He gives a hearty chuckle that wiggles his small moustache. “Be sure not to spend it all in one place now little fella’, and you have a good night there Princess.” Waving to her, he puts a ‘Closed’ sign up and happily moves off to the back.

Turning to look at Cadance, I laugh at her gobsmacked expression, and I decide to further mess with her a bit. Taking one bag in my tentacle grip, I lift it over my head and spread my jaw wide enough to drop it down into my mouth. As it passes over my tongue, I subtly digitize the bottom half of it and slowly pass it through into my body. To her, it would look as if I had just swallowed an entire bag of bits whole, and then join it with the second bag a moment later. Not even a bulge to show for the effort, and her jaw lowers a bit more in disbelief.

“Wha- I- But…” She shakes her head, trying to look stern again. “T-That still doesn’t change the fact that gambling is bad! You don’t see me gambling do you?”

“Oh, Princess Cadance!” Calls out another booth operator. They slide the partition up a little to stick their neck out, and I can see that it’s a middle-aged mare with freckles on her coat. “I didn’t expect to see you here dear. Did you want to come pick up your winnings directly for once? I was just about to make the usual deposit into your account in fact, so it’s quite the perfect timing.”

As the silence drags on past a minute, I slowly look back from the confused mare over to Cadance, whose face is beet red with embarrassment, her jaw flapping for a reply. Raising my left eyebrow, I judge her back for her own words, and she reaches up to close her jaw. She takes another moment to do a small breathing exercise. “...Not. A. Word.” She says firmly, before turning to the mare. “Ahahaha, y-yes Miss Margarin! I was uh, in need of a few bits this week for...reasons. How much exactly did I make this time?”

“Oh, well I’m afraid it’s not an easy amount to count. You’re going to need several bags…” Their voices quiet down as the two lean in to talk.

Shaking my head, I softly chuckle so she won’t hear me. At least the wedding expenses should be covered now.


When I awake the next morning, something feels...strange. Not odd, so much as strange and unusual. Like something perfectly normal that has gone differently than it should have, but to the same effect.

The best emotions I can express for it was delight, happiness and joy. A permeating feel of it that seems to follow me all the time, but not actually come from me or the alicorn in the room. The feeling persists all throughout the early hours, nagging at my brain and spirit like a feather tickling my skin. It wasn’t really all that unpleasant; I know of a thing called ASMR and the sensations I have certainly remind me of the auditory stimulation. But there was nothing in range that I could see or hear to actually trigger it, and as the day rolls on I find myself wracked with discomfort over simply not knowing.

Eventually however it leaves, fading out of some unknown range, and I can finally relax. The odd mix of pleasant emotions and aggravating unknowing had stressed me fiercely. So much so that Cadance was now looking at me in concern since it had been so apparent on my visage. “Koromon? Are you alright sweetie? You’ve been looking very stressed all morning.”

I shake my head. “Ko’r...moro ro koromon.”

Putting her book down, she hops out of her chair and comes over to the bed where I am reading on my own. She gently closes the book in front of me and rests her head on the edge of the bed to stare at me in the eye. “What is it then? Did you have a bad dream?” I shake my head. “Is breakfast not sitting well with you?” I shake again. “Huh...are you feeling fine now?”

Sighing, I shake out my tentacles and nod. “O ko.”

“Odd…” She frowns, and then stands back up. “Tell you what, let’s go get some lunch. It’s late enough for it, and maybe some fresh air will help whatever it was that was bugging you. How does that sound?”

Perhaps some ginger ale will soothe my head as much as the stomach, so I nod. Hopping onto her back, we head out and make our way down to the dining hall to grab a quick bite. But along the way, we bump into an unfortunate pony neither of us had wanted to see.

“Oh! Oh...hello Blueblood.” Cadance says, voice dropping flat after recognizing him.

The fob prince dusts off his coat some and stands a bit straighter. Unlike most ponies, he looks very much like his cartoon counterpart. Immaculate, snobbish, rude, and very Gaston in his treatment of others. I had hoped that upon meeting him previously that perhaps he wouldn’t be as abysmal as when Rarity attempted to court him at the Grand Galloping Gala. He wasn’t, at some points, but in others I wish that was the farthest extent of his arrogance and self importance. “Prince Blueblood please, cousin. It wouldn’t do for any of the commoners to think it fine to flaunt familiarity with us.”

“Right…” Cadance’s jaw jilts to one side, before righting itself. “So uh, what are you doing here? I thought you were off to Saddle Arabia for a meeting with the sultan?”

“And miss a Garden Party held by Sir Fancy Pants?” He looks at her as if she’d implied he was an earth pony. “My dear Princess Mi Amore you must have left your wits elsewhere if you’d think I would ever miss such an event! The sultan will be fine if he has to wait but a few more days.”

“Seriously? First - don’t call me Mi Amore, you know I hate my full name. Second - are you about to skip out on an important, official meeting for the sake of a canterlot social event? Just send a RSVP and attend the next one.”

“Ugh.” He rolls his eyes. “Now I see why you’re never invited to such events-”

“Technically I am, I just have other things I want to do than spend time gossiping like a bunch of-”

“You never have grasped the fine art of socializing my dear Amore.” He interrupts her interruption, voice a bit sharp. “Why, I bet you don’t even know of the dinner party being held by Lady Swan Song tonight. You don’t? My point is made.” He sniffs.

“So? You and the other nobles are always holding such events. If I tried to attend them all like you do I’d never get any actual work done.”

“Hmph, work? My dear, maintaining my appearance and standing is crucial to my position! How else am I to be one of Auntie’s finest diplomats if am some ho-hum, no-name commoner that barely knows how to inscribe his signature properly? Treaties are not signed with ‘X’s I’ll have you know, and the name must have weight to be of any worth. To say nothing of what connections I might establish for later deals.” Flicking a lock of his mane back, he begins to walk past us. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I must be on my way. A Prince’s duty is never done.”

I roll my eyes at him behind his back, and hear Cadance let out a little huff. “Honestly, if he wasn’t so good at his job…” She looks back at me, and then walks on. “I just don’t get it sometimes. He’s easily Equestria’s finest diplomat, to say nothing of his heritage having left him with a royal title. But if you met him in private like that, you’d swear he was the greatest prat and a spoiled brat, the snobby uptight son of a-” She cuts herself off. “He was okay when younger, even if his station was already giving him such a big head. But once he got his cutie mark it was just downhill. Doesn’t help that he’s a real pig when it comes to wooing mares.” We travel in silence for a few minutes, before she mutters, “Or that he’s technically right about those connections he makes. I’ll have to tell Auntie about him skipping the meeting.”

When Celestia learns of her nephew’s chosen path, she sighs and rubs a hoof over her head before sending us off. Blueblood doing his own thing must be old hat if all his actions got was an exasperated sigh. Still, that had been some time ago, as we were now back in our room, full and content to finish the day off. I was back to reading over my book, a novel that spoke of an expedition to the far north and Yakyakistan. Cadance was moving from a book on economics to, probably because of Blueblood, a book on Saddle Arabia. We were both relaxing on the bed, resting against one another, when as the sun began to set I felt that same strange feeling pass over me again.

“Kor?” I look up, frowning.

“Hm? Is everything alright Koromon?” Cadance looks over.

“O koon morro koron.”

“You’re fidgeting a lot again. Almost like this morning.” She puts a hoof over my forehead. “Not too warm or cold, and you’re not pale or anything either. Do you feel sick?”

I shake my head. I feel the opposite of sick really, though the emotions coming to me this time were a bit different. Excitement, desire and confidence were prevalent, probably because whatever the source was had gotten something good while away. The desire did seem to ‘taste’ selfish however, and something about the way they resonate with a hollow core makes me think that something was being forgotten in all the excitement.

“I wonder what…” She trails off, a thoughtful look crossing her face. Looking down at the bed, she slowly pans it to the right, then left, pausing on a particular space. Curious about her behavior I try to follow her gaze, but as my eyes lock with hers I can see that she’s not looking at the bed. She’s looking through it, on something far off. “Koromon, is it something you feel that’s bothering you? Something not coming from you?”

My surprise shows as I nod. “Koro!”

“Huh…” She focuses back on me and smiles reassuringly. “I didn’t know you were an empath like me. That must be a Heartsong you’re sensing.”

“Huh?” My confusion was big enough to not even bother with a false word. What’s a Heartsong, and how did she figure out my ability to sense emotions from that?

“Never heard of it? I’m not surprised - Heartsongs are a sort of unspoken magic among ponies, and rarely even acknowledged to exist by other species. I’m not even sure if there’s any books written about it anywhere. Maybe in Celestia’s private study, or an ancient archive somewhere.” She taps a hoof to her chin in thought. “Would you like to hear about it?”

“Or kroomo!”

“Okay...Heartsongs were first recorded shortly after the founding of Equestria, although they are known to have occurred beforehoof. Have you ever heard the expression ‘sing your heart out’? Well, when a pony has something in their heart that weighs heavily on them that’s what it basically is. It can be something positive, negative, happy or sad - as long as it’s important to the pony in question, and in need of release, it can be triggered. Harmony itself, the magic of Equestria and beyond, resonates with that emotion and triggers a way to let it out and help the pony find peace and, well, harmony.

“What’s really interesting is that even if we know what or even when a Heartsong is happening, there’s no guarantee anypony will understand it once it’s over. The same magic that lets you project one into the open also shields it, pulling in and pushing out anypony needed to help it along. Entire musical numbers can consume a town, and just as soon as it’s over, everypony goes back to what they were doing and only recall vaguely that somepony, somewhere, has just had a song and they helped sing it. It’s all based on intent, and if a pony needs to get something out, but wants it private or personal, the magic abides by it.

“With empaths however, like you and I, a Heartsong is more likely to be noticed even from afar. The only other ponies that can sense it are powerful magic users, and that comes with more interesting bits, but I won’t get into that right now. For us, we can feel the emotions behind the magic even from afar. Since like sound it can travel far from the source, even if it’s on the far side of the castle I sometimes sense songs being sung.” Cadance looks up and smiles, closing her eyes. “Whoever is singing...they’re happy. Must be fulfilling something they’ve been looking forward to for a long time. I hope it ends well for them by the end of it all. If you’ve never felt a Heartsong before that might be why you feel so uncomfortable too. The song doesn’t necessarily want you to join in, but in addition to feeling the emotions, your heart starts to try and sing along. It instinctively knows the rhythm, and even your physical heart can sometimes begin to beat along to it. That’s called The Echo, although normally it’s meant more for somepony who actually is meant to join in from afar. Some Heartsongs can span the entire globe, resonating with various souls out there. Some ponies believe that is a sign of a greater destiny, that bond echoing even over the vast distances, hence the name. Honestly I could talk about this all night - there’s simply so many fascinating features to this kind of magic!”

Cadance indeed looks to be ecstatic. I was interested in all this knowledge she seems to have over such an elusive facet of pony magic. This ‘Heartsong’ seems to be the key reason for all the musical numbers in the show too, besides the writers and director wanting them in a children’s show that is. Glancing between our two books, I gently nudge her to get her attention again and smile.

“Ko kroo mo.” I say to her. Her own smile widens.

“Really?! Okay, but first let me go get some snacks then!” Letting out a little squee of delight, she hops off the bed and heads out for the kitchen. I chuckle, feeling good that I’ve made her night with my request. Maybe she’ll break out into song over this herself even. Explaining Heartsongs, with a Heartsong, would be quite apt for the situation really. I wonder what it would sound like, and ponder the lyrics while I wait for her return.


Two more days have passed in peace and comfort, but as the sun sets on the heart of the weekend, I find myself sitting on a tree branch in a conundrum. Down below me are several ponies in castle staff attire and a private catering business uniform. I had let them know I was going to sit here earlier and the castle staff had been gracious enough to let me. Even asking for a hand in hanging some of the lights near me. Now they were busy with tables and bringing in the various silverware and kitchenware that would be used for tomorrow’s party, while off to one side Fancy Pants was talking to the hired band with Fleur de Lis by his side. Or on his side, since she refused to stay in a single pose or position for too long. He seemed to find it quite enjoyable, and would often shift himself some to help with the more amusing positions. Octavia, the band leader and spokeswoman, took it all in stride with a neutral expression on her face.

Why was I here observing all of this? Because my curiosity was beginning to clash with my sensibility. All week I had seen and felt from afar the events of Sweet and Elite. Rarity’s escapades had even reached the ear of Cadance, though she didn’t quite know that the mare in question behind all the rumors was a friend of Twilight. All she knew was that a new mare of high standing was making a stir among the nobles, and that so far she had attended all of the major events through the week to resounding success. It wasn’t uncommon for a mare or stallion of the hour to stir up the nobles like this; among the elites and their inner society, being associated with the hot and new was crucial to looking good among their peers. But it spoke depths to Rarity’s character that her own nobility was never asked about, merely promoting herself through word and action. Fancy Pants had obviously seen that too since he’d become so fascinated with her, enough so that she had been given an elusive invite to this soiree tomorrow night.

Which did nothing to quell my growing desire to step in and see all of this face to face.

I had not realized just how far this temptation had grown for me until just last night. Cadance had left to do some shopping before sunset yesterday without me, and upon returning had placed a wrapped present upon the vanity. She claimed it was for Twilight Sparkle, whose birthday would be this Sunday. Which would be tomorrow, going by the calendar and how the party and episode would fall on it as well. She intended to send it off by mail, but I knew that I could easily take it down to the banquet hall tomorrow night. After all, only I knew that Twilight would change her party location to Canterlot Castle in the wake of Rarity’s letter. And if I did that, then I could stick around and party with the girls, and get to know them better face to face. It could go a long way toward cementing a more positive light about myself, as well as letting me just enjoy their company as a fan of the series.

But I had promised myself to not interfere with the events of the show, and the fact I was even considering doing this was gnawing at my conscious. The plan was to leave Canterlot behind once my Armor was fully reacquired from the diarchy. Celestia has already failed to safeguard three pieces of my armor, so finding the remaining two should hopefully be swift once I put true effort back into the search. Once free I could go anywhere, do anything...within reason of course. That included not interfering with greater events such as Twilight’s adventure toward becoming a Princess. Or striking out against Equestria like a villain, and any other country. What that would mean truly in the grand scheme I don’t know, but I’m sure with my power and skills I could happily find a good comfortable living and life to spend the rest of time with here on this world. But that would only happen if I stopped having to tell myself this over and over again.

Shaking my head, I let out a little grunt and turn away from the party grounds. They say that curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back. In that regard, perhaps I could afford to go tomorrow evening, if only for as long as it takes to hand over Cadance’s gift to Twilight and say hello. Then I could go back upstairs and put this whole thing behind me, without putting myself in the midst of Rarity’s friendship lesson. Give a little, take a little. That would probably solve the dilemma in my heart without completely ruining my conviction. So long as I didn’t go spouting my mouth off for some absurd reason, all should be fine.

Looking back at Fancy Pants, I hop off the branch and take the long way around to get back to Cadance’s room. I need to work off the jitters that were now running up and down my spine, as well as plan my approach to tomorrow.


“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us Koromon? Shiny won’t mind if you do. He even invited you along.”

Shaking my head, I hug Cadance’s front left leg and then gently nudge it toward the door. “Ko or moro. Orom o koor moko.” I say reassuringly. “M’oo mo okor.”

“Well...alright girl, if you say so.” I give her a small look, and she giggles. “We’ll be back in a few hours anyway. Want me to bring you something to eat?” Again I shake my head and she bends down to hug me. “Alright Koromon, have a good night!”

“Kor-kor!” I wave, dropping my tentacle as the bedroom door clicks shut. “Hm, I certainly hope I will…”

After spending some time out with Cadance, I had feigned the desire to go back to the room so I could relax. With the day drawing to a closed the party would soon begin down in the garden, and that would also mean Twilight’s birthday bash was about to begin. Thankfully Shining Armor had come by with an offer of dinner for the three of us, but while a part of me demanded I take the offer to avoid temptation, I was already set in my course for this. Besides, I feel it would be a strong and kind gesture to both Cadance and Twilight if I were to deliver the gift to her in person. Or so I told myself to feel better.

Moving over to the vanity, I take the little wrapped present down and balance it atop my head, moving out once I was sure Cadance would be well away. With a party being held on the grounds security was somewhat tighter than normal. The upper levels were blocked off with additional guards on every staircase, while the ground floor was kept observed by no less than two guards per hall and room. Saying hello to them all as I pass, they remain stoic and neutral, which wasn’t anything new. The Day Guard was completely unlike their Night counterparts; stoic and cold discipline, versus open but stern order. I almost expect the opposite whenever I see them, but then again, the Night Guard at least don’t have the near fanatic obedience toward their princess that the Solar stallions do. Amazing what a thousand years could do to an organization, at least that’s I believe to be a root cause.

As the banquet hall and garden close in, I can hear voices growing louder amidst two distinct types of music. Outside the marble walls of the castle classical music softly flows through the air among talking nobles, and inside loud polka-like music was broken up by occasional shouts and laughter. It faintly reminds me of the movie Titanic, where above water the rich danced in ballgowns and tuxedos, and down in the bowels of the ship the commoners partied and drank. Thankfully there were no icebergs to sink this ship, but it would be wise to remember my sealegs for this next bit.

Curiously the doors leading outside to the garden are staffed with guards and some velvet rope, but when I move past to the ballroom there wasn’t a pony in sight. Opening the door slowly, I peek inside and get my first real look at the Mane 6. Twilight Sparkle stands out in her simple dress, her mane just as straight and organized like the show, even down to the neat little bars of colors inside of it unlike Cadance’s more blended mix. She and Rainbow Dash are at the buffet table enjoying the chocolate, the latter looking notably shorter and slimmer than her friend. There was no denying that she had speed however, with her wings being strong in size and shape, and her messy mane of rainbow locks shimmered in a way that almost implied she was moving much faster than she was even when still. Pinkie Pie was dancing by the record player, her thick body proving a hazard for anyone wanting to come close as she swung it side to side, up and down. Applejack, looking buff and unshorn along her hooves, was wearing a blindfold as she tries to hit the pinata dangling down from the ceiling. The tall and willowy Fluttershy gently lifts and lowers the rope holding it in her mouth a few feet away out of swinging distance. The only pony not partying, and looking decidedly unsure, was Rarity in her fancy dress, hovering just within range of the tables and her friends but also much closer to the doors leading outside into the garden than she had any right to be. Watching her for a second, I can see the well groomed and svelte unicorn mutter something under her breath, before bolting away when nobody was looking in her direction to the doors and outside. A few moments later, she returns and hurries to the buffet table to blend back in with her friends.

According to my memory, the episode reaches the climax once Rarity has exhausted herself too much to notice a major blunder on her part between both parties. Given her still poised demeanor I suspect there is plenty of time before that moment. Perfect then for mingling a bit and then taking my leave. Slipping through the gap between the doors, I close it behind me and turn to-

“Hi!”

“MOTHERFU-KO! K-K-Ko...koro…ko...”

Eyes wide, I bite my lip as hard as I can without drawing blood as Pinkie Pie crouches before me. Her smile, previously bright and cheeful, has slightly shifted to one of confusion at my outburst, and from behind her I can hear a record scratch despite nobody having been nearby to stop the music. All of her friends are looking over at us, and I’m sweating buckets under all the attention. Gods damn all pink horses and their sudden appearances.

“Huh? What did you say little blobbie?” She asks. “For a second it sounded like a really bad word I heard once!”

“K-Ko…”

“Mmm, nope that’s not the word!”

“Pinkie? What are ya doing over there?” Applejack’s southern twang calls out. “Is tha’ somepony or what?”

“Look girls, I found a Slime!” Grabbing me up, she turns and presents me to her friends like a prize. “A She-Slime even! Shame it’s not a Metal Slime though, I could use the experience points.” Did she just…? Well perhaps some of the beliefs about Pinkie Pie are true after all.

“The heck is that thing?” Rainbow Dash flies over to hover in front of me, her muzzle uncomfortably close as she looks me over. “Uhh, Pinkie Pie? Are you sure that thing’s even safe? It looks weird.”

“That’s cuz she’s a cute widdle blobbie, aren’t you girl?” Huffing at the misnamed gender, I still accept her nuzzle and smile at Rainbow without teeth. The pegasus still looks uncertain.

“Oh, what a sweet little creature you are!” Fluttershy coos, floating over to take me into her own hooves and deliver a fresh nuzzle. This close I can smell a very strong aroma of flowers and nuts from her mane. “You’re just the cutest, squishiest little blob aren’t you? Whatever are you doing here? Did you come from the menagerie outside?”

“O kor koromono o mor Koromono.” I say, pointing out the wrapped box in one tentacle.

“A gift? For Twilight? Why that’s very nice of you.”

Hold on, did she understand what I said? That wasn’t usual; Cadance seemed to understand me thanks to her ability to read emotions like myself, but typically others needed to guess or read whatever I did with my tentacles to have something of a clue. Not to mention my speech was essentially organized gibberish. “Wait, you understand that thing? It’s an animal?” Rainbow asks for both of our benefits.

Pursing her lips, Fluttershy holds me out and looks at me apologetically. “W-Well, it’s a little hard. I don’t strictly speak animal, I just know how to read them thanks to my special talent. It’s usually no trouble, but um, you seem to have a very thick..accent? That’s not offensive is it?” I shake my head. “Oh good.”

“Ah’d have to agree with Rainbow there Shy, that thing's plum weird looking.” Looking at the farmer, I stick my tongue out and then puff my cheeks. “Heh, sorry there partner, but I ain’t never seen a creature whose head is as big as their mouth. Makes that old saying of Granny’s pretty funny. Bet there ain't much you can't eat now is there?” Knowing what saying she might mean, I chuckle.

“Who cares, she brought a present!” Taking me back, Pinkie spins me around and then plops me onto her thick and bouncy mane of curls. “And that means we have even more partygoers! That means this is a surprise party and a birthday party!” She squeals in delight.

“Whaddya say Twilight?” Rainbow calls. When no immediate response comes from their friend and unofficial leader, all of the girls turn to look back toward the tables. Twilight is sitting in a chair procured from somewhere with a book quickly being flipped through in her magic. “Ugh, seriously Twi? You brought a book to your birthday party?”

“Actually I summoned this from the library back in Ponyville.” She answers idly. “I marked a few books for such emergency occasions such as this if ever we might need a handy field guide on some new monster or magic. This was a great test run of the system.” Closing the book, she trots over to us and peers at me quizzically. “But even after looking through ‘Beasts and Fiends of Equestria’ I can’t seem to find anything about this creature. I’m not sure if it’s safe to interact with girls.”

“Oh, she wouldn’t hurt a fly, would you girl?” Fluttershy looks at me. Thanks to her height she can almost stare dead ahead at me atop of Pinkie’s mane. I would estimate she was actually just under Cadance’s height, an impressive feat for a pegasus.

“K’o koromoor o kor.” I try to explain.

Fluttershy blushes. “O-Oh, I’m sorry mister blob. Um, what’s your name?”

“Koromon.”

“Koromon? Oh, I see, you speak using your name. That’s a very clever language Mister Koromon.”

“That’s a dude?” Rainbow blurts out, looking at my pink body. I give her a deadpan look and mimic her raspy tones while saying my name again. “Hey! I don’t need to speak slime to know what that was about! Not cool man.”

Applejacks chuckles deeply. “He got ya there sugarcube.”

“I’m still not sure we should let it-”

“He.”

“He - sorry - I’m still not sure they should be allowed to stay. You’re obviously an intelligent, er, blob mister Koromon. But how do you even know me to bring a gift for my birthday party?” Twilight asks. “I wasn’t even planning to have the party here in Canterlot until just this morning.”

As I open my mouth to try and explain, Applejack suddenly speaks up. “Speaking of Rarity, where is she? I haven’t heard her say nothing about our lil’ guest.”

“Here I am!” Rarity calls, moving over rapidly with her breathing a bit strained. “Hah, sorry darlings I was just...uh, admiring the lovely spread you provided for us Pinkie Pie.” The party planner beams with pride. “What are we admiring over here?”

“I found a She-Slime!” Pinkie points to me. “Well, actually just a Slime I guess.”

Rarity looks up at me with disgust in her eyes, but politeness on her face. It’s obvious she doesn’t know what to make of me. “Charmed, I’m sure.”

“Korro.” I say hello.

“He said hello.” Fluttershy translates. The explanation oddly seems to relax the unicorn, her gaze shifting to wary but accepting.

“Oh, well how nice. Twilight dear weren’t we enjoying some music and dancing beforehoof?” She looks to the guest of honor. The obvious distraction works, as one by one the ponies all meander back to the party area and the music turns back on. Still atop of Pinkie’s mane, I follow along and gently set my gift down atop the small pile before enjoying the festivities myself.

As I had hoped, my presence affects little as the minutes and hour pass by. Welcomed in by the girls, I happily play games and eat some of the snacks, while they in turn pay me some attention with pets and idle chatter. Most of time they simply leave me be, with Fluttershy and Pinkie taking the most interest out of them all for obvious reasons. Fluttershy, with her love of animals, asks me politely about how my body and anatomy works, and if perhaps I knew of any others of my kind that she could meet. Pinkie Pie, acting as my personal ride, offers sweets to me and even takes me out onto the dance floor to shake her rump with me wiggling on her back. Sometimes Twilight would also try to interrogate me about something, but while I understood a fair bit of what she said, it often involved answers that boiled down to ‘because I’m a Digimon’ for the most part. So in that regard I had to feign innocence, and thankfully she bought it with a disappointed pout.

But even with all the fun and excitement of getting to meet the Mane 6 and party with them, I still keep an eye on Rarity to catch the important cues. As the party goes on she would disappear for several minutes, always coming back looking a bit worse for wear. Sometimes she would even bring hors d'oeuvres from either party, which made for hilarious reactions as she sometimes dipped caviar in chocolate, or brought a slice of cake out on a plain paper plate. Her friends don’t seem to notice it, buying into her excuses and explanations with open trust and sometimes amusement. As the hour begins to pass into a second however, she was flagging and really struggling to keep her stories straight. Although concerned for her, I was more pleased to see that so far, things were lining up with my memories of events.

Then, after approximately one hour and thirty-seven minutes, she brings in the croquet mallet.

Snickering at the cross-eyed look she has with the mallet in her mouth, my laughter draws the attention of Rainbow Dash, who looks where I am looking and sees Rarity. “Uh, what’s with the croquet mallet?”

“What croquet mallet?” Rarity mutters out between the handle.

“The one in your mouth, duh!”

Startled, Rarity drops it to the floor, the noise drawing the attention of everyone else. The music stops once again, and her friends all walk over from their spots to see what’s going on. The unicorn begins to nervously look around and laugh. “Ohh, that croquet mallet. I - well that is to say - I mean the truth is...um…”

Twilight’s eyes narrow. “Were you at that other party out in the garden?”

“I...I…”

Nodding slowly, Twilight’s expression changes as the other girls see what she’s talking about. “I see. I’m really surprised Rarity.”

“Please Twilight, let me explain! I-”

“I hadn’t realized you were such a savvy businesspony!”

“I-It’s not like...what?”

Nodding again, Twilight gives Rarity a dazzling smile that stuns her fellow unicorn into silence. “All of those ponies look so posh, and with the Grand Galloping Gala coming up, I bet you could totally get some of them to buy your dresses. And if you can get the nobles and elite to purchase some, then your name will be everywhere in Canterlot! Very smart.”

Mouth flapping slowly, Rarity gathers herself quickly as some of the other girls quietly converse between themselves about the fact. Pinkie Pie beneath me seems to be pouting about the last Grand Galloping Gala and her experience there. “W-Whyyy yes! Yes, I erm, d-didn’t want you to think I was being rude, so that’s exactly why I didn’t tell you.” She laughs nervously, tugging at the collar of her dress. “Yes, the only reason…” Comes the quiet mutter.

“Oh, well, you didn't have to do that. You should totally go over there and mingle!”

Smiling warmly, Rarity gives her friend a strong hug and leans into her. “Oh Twilight, you really are the best friend a pony could ever ask for. I don’t know why I ever thought you wouldn’t understand.”

“Understand what?”

“Nothing!” Pulling away, Rarity adjusts her hat and dress a little bit before turning and prancing gaily toward the garden doors. “See you girls later~”

“Hey, wait up!” Flying over and blocking her way, Rainbow Dash puffs out her chest and points to herself as Rarity and the others look at her. “I'm sure they won't mind if we check out the party too! I mean, we’re your friends right?” A lot of the girls make sounds of agreement. Nodding and waving them to follow, Rainbow Dash hurries over to the doors and throw them open. “C'mon you guys! Let's show them how to party: Ponyville Style!”

Cheering, the girls all rush out, Twilight grabbing the phonograph and looking especially giddy. As Pinkie Pie passes Rarity in her bouncing gait, I turn to look back, which allows me to see her already white fur seemingly pale further as her eyes narrow in horror.

Oh no.


The garden party has become chaos incarnate to the nobles now under assault. As Twilight Sparkle and her friends spread out, they each begin to sow a little bit of their own personal touch of mayhem and disorder, throwing the entire party off to the point that the band stops playing and watches in shock. Pinkie Pie eats the hors d'oeuvres and fires her party cannon, Rainbow flies overhead while upsetting all the hanging decorations, Fluttershy calls down several animal friends to talk and play with, Twilight starts to…dance, in the middle of the field with her record going, and Applejack for some reason starts digging out some of the weeds and getting herself very muddy. Not wanting to get too involved with this final step of the episode, I quietly move to the stage, hopping up and giving Octavia a small nod which she replies to with an arched eyebrow.

“And who might you be?” She asks in a posh accent.

“Koromon.” I bow as best I can.

“Charmed, I’m sure.” Picking up the one thing I’d taken with me from the other party, I offer a small bowl of popcorn to her and the other musicians. That earns me a snort of amusement, and a pat on the head before taking a few kernels to chew on.

Rarity has arrived by now and is trying to blend in with the elites, who in turn are talking quite loudly about the ‘uncouth commoners’ that have crashed their party. I can even hear a few of them wanting to go find the guards, but Fancy Pants seems to just be humming and watching the going-on with an amused smile. As Twilight does that awful jig of hers, the host of the garden party finally takes a step to resolving this whole issue. So of course, he approaches the flailing purple pony and asks about her dress.

“Excuse me, might I ask where you got your ensemble?” The stallion asks.

Twilight stops her dancing and pulls her tongue back into her mouth. “Why, yes! Yes you may. A very, very close friend of mine from Ponyville made it for me.”

Rarity spit-takes on the sidelines, having foolishly chosen to try and calm her nerves with some punch.

“Ponyville? That quaint little village down in the valley? You don’t say.”

“I do say.” Twilight beams with pride over her friend. She is clearly looking to help promote Rarity’s work like she had assumed was the reason for the fashionista’s disappearances. “Her name is-”

“Fancy Pants! Come with me!” Rarity interrupts, suddenly by the nobles side as she tries to gently coax him to follow. “I'd like to show you this, er, thing that's over there. On the other side of the field. Away.”

Fancy merely chuckles. “In a moment my dear. This lovely young filly from Ponyville was just about to tell me who made her charming dress.”

“T-That dress? Oh come now, who cares haha! It's just a plain old-”

“Oh, don't be so modest Rarity! This dress you made is beautiful.” Twilight obliviously says. The entire crowd gasps, and I think I hear something shatter as it falls.

Fancy Pants, acting unaware of the aghast elites around him, looks at Rarity with a faint smile under his mustache. “You know these ponies?”

“...” Looking between the Canterlot ponies, and her slowly huddling together Ponyville friends, Rarity bites her lip and then gains a resolute stance as she walks forward. “Yes. Yes, I do know them. They may not be as sophisticated as some of you Canterlot ponies, but they are my best friends. And they are without a doubt the most important ponies I know.”

Two ponies I know to be Jet Set and Upper Crust scoff. “Important ponies? These ruffians?” The stallion asks, before they in tandem begin to mockingly laugh in their haughty voices. “Oh please. They are nothing more than low-town commoners!”

“Funny, I could say the same about you.” A voice that shouldn’t be here suddenly speaks up.

Freezing, my eyes slowly turn toward the doors back toward the banquet hall, where Cadance is standing with a frown on her face. Looking unhappily at the two snobs who have suddenly choked on their spit, she walks forward with Shining Armor right behind her as he smiles apologetically at Fancy Pants. “Jet Set and Upper Crust, right? I’ve heard about you two.” They slightly preen at this. “You were born in lower Manehatten and managed to snag a hefty inheritance from a relative of Jet’s, here in Canterlot. Helped you move up here and live comfortably off your aunt Rising Star’s fortune that she had amassed as the premiere booking agent of now several international superstars like Sapphire Shores. Princess Celestia was quite sad to hear of her passing, more so that her only living relatives had barely laid her to rest before throwing those well-earned bits around like they were candy.”

Now looking unbearably uncomfortable and small, the two social ladder climbing opportunists cringe as several of their former associates begin to mutter about them openly and behind their back. Fancy Pants is looking at the two with a disappointing frown, damning them in the eyes of Canterlot nobility, before turning to Cadance with a dazzling smile. “Ah, Princess Cadance! Such a delight to see you again at my garden party. Don’t tell me my charm has finally won you over to another visit?”

“Hardly Fancy Pants. Although I’d say this party is a fair sight more interesting compared to my first time.” Smiling, Cadance looks over warmly at Twilight. “Happy Birthday Twilight!”

“CADY!” Squealing in joy, Twilight finally snaps out of her surprise as seeing her old babysitter and brother and rushes over. After a deep loving hug they step back and perform their silly ritual dance. “Sunshine, Sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!”

Behind the two mares, Shining Armor laughs and walks up to hug Twilight as well. “You two still do that? Man Twily, I thought you’d grown up after you moved out to Ponyville.”

“Never, BBBFF.” Squealing again, Twilight tackled hes brother in a hug that makes him have to spin her around once before they could stop moving. “Oh my gosh it’s so good to see you both again! What are you doing here?”

“We could ask you the same thing, as well as if you’ve seen a certain troublemaker blob.” Cadance giggles and turns her head to look at me. “There you are Koromon. You had me worried when I didn’t see you up in the room. How on earth did you know Twilight was here - did you bring the gift too that’s missing?” Face hiding my inner thoughts, I simply nod with a very faint and weak smile on my face.

“Uh…” Rainbow Dash speaks up, raising a hoof. “Is anypony else as confused as I am?”

Stepping forward, Applejack leaves the group as she marches up to Twilight and bumps her shoulder. “Twi? Mind giving out introductions to th’ rest of us? Ah know I agree with Rainbow about this.”

“I-Is that...you’re a princess?” Rarity squeaks as she finally notices the small matter of the crown, wings and horn on Cadance.

Shining and Cadance both look to Twilight. “You never told them about us?”

“I-It never came up...sorry.” Twilight sheepishly explains as she rubs the back of her head. “Everypony - this is my brother, Shining Armor, and Princess Cadance, my old foalsitter.”

“Shucks, yer family?” Reaching a hoof out, Applejack gived Shining a shake that nearly rattles the soldier apart. “Mah name’s Applejack! Pleasure to meetcha Shining Armor!”

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie!” Pinkie Pie zooms over to Cadance. “Want some cake?” She offers a plate that appears in her hoof like magic.

“Rainbow Dash - faster flyer in Equestria!” Rainbow boasts. “Any bro of Twilight is cool in my books!”

“I-I’m uh...Fluttershy.”

“Rarity. It is an honor to meet you, your majesty. And you as well Shining Armor.” Rarity walks over, looking much more collected and now sans her dress. I couldn’t see where she had stashed it.

“It’s wonderful to meet all you.” Cadance greets warmly. “I’d heard from Auntie that Twilight had made five wonderful friends from Ponyville, but I didn’t think I would meet you all this soon. What brings you all to Canterlot?”

“Well-”

“Allow me Twilight.” Rarity gently interrupts, turning to address the captain and princess. “I’m afraid there was a bit of a...kerfuffle with my schedule during my stay here in Canterlot for the week. Twilight and Pinkie Pie were very generous to change their plans of a party down in Ponyville to instead host it here so that I could also attend. We were just inside of the banquet hall until a short time ago, when Fancy Pants was kind enough to let us join in with his own event.” Biting her lip, Rarity looks over at the stallion after making up her small lie. Applejack narrows her eyes as she catches it, but before she can perhaps say something, Fancy Pants chuckles and steps up.

“Why it was a pleasure my dear. I, for one, find them all charmingly rustic.” Looking at Twilight, he gives her a bow and gently cups a hoof in his own to kiss it. “I had no idea a delightful filly like yourself was the sister of the Day Guard Captain, much less our passionate and spirited Princess of Love! Would you please continue to enjoy your birthday with us, if only so that I might make up for my terrible foresight in bringing a gift?”

“Oh.” Blushing lightly, Twilight slowly removes her hoof and nods. “That would be wonderful, Sir Fancy Pants. Thank you ever so much.”

“Not at all my dear.” Turning to the stage, he claps his hooves, and the band behind me begins to play again. This time with a slightly more upbeat tune so as to embody the birthday spirit better. “Would you care to join me for a moment, Lady Rarity?”

“Why, I would be delighted.” Giggling, Rarity takes his offered hoof and they move off to partake in a dance. Taking this as the ice breaker, the rest of the nobles slowly move around and resume the party, while Twilight and her friends began to converse with Shining Armor and Cadance.

Sitting at the foot of the stage, I stare at the group of ponies with more than a bit of trepidation and fear. This wasn’t how it was meant to go. Even though I’m certain that Rarity had learned her lesson, everything after the major plot point was new grounds that broke several future events quite possibly beyond repair. None of the Mane 6 were supposed to meet or know the royal couple before the wedding, nor were they supposed to be here at Twilight’s birthday party. Going by what Cadance said to me, I can only assume that this was indeed all my fault. Having returned to the room, she noticed the missing gift and lack of myself and set off to try and find me. No doubt the guards along the way told their captain that I had come this way, and once they found the ballroom it was inevitable that they would look outside.

Now, instead of possibly distrusting Twilight’s fears and worries at the wedding, the girls would all have evidence that Cadance was not as she appears. If Cadance didn’t tell them about the wedding now I would be most shocked. Indeed, as I observe them I can hear and see them all screaming in excitement as Cadance tells them something with Shining blushing by her side. If none of the circumstances that made the wedding fiasco occur were there, then that would mean that a lesson would be missed, and possibly Chrysalis would take more measures than she was supposed to. That could mean that she would succeed, or perhaps it would be stopped more easily on the other hand. The sheer scope of this small change was something I would have to ponder in private later, as right now I had to try and keep myself from looking off or worried.

Hopping over to the group, I hear something Twilight is saying to Cadance.

“...missed the old days when we would trick or treat.” Twilight laughs. “‘You should have seen Spike last year. He dressed up as...a dragon!”

“Hahaha.” Holding a hoof over her muzzle, Cadance shakes her head in mirth. “Oh Spike. I definitely miss spending the holidays with you too Twilight. Remember that one time we went dressed up as a ponytaur?”

“I do! Oh my gosh that outfit was so stuffy.”

“Speaking of Nightmare Night though Twilight, I’ve been dying to know.” Calming down her laughter, Cadance looks around conspiratorially and leans in some. “Everypony has been dying to know what Princess Luna was like. Did she have a good time down in Ponyville, maybe give a fright to all the colts and fillies?”

A look of polite bafflement crosses Twilight’s face. “Princess Luna? What about her?”

“You know, when she went down to enjoy the holiday? Auntie Celestia was very excited about how Luna agreed to come down and enjoy the holiday with you all.”

“She did? She was?” Shaking her head slowly, Twilight looks over to her friends, and those who were listening to the conversation and not Shining give her baffled shrugs back. “I-I’m sorry Cadance but...nopony ever saw Princess Luna as far as I know.”

“Really?” Cadance frowns, and my heart nearly stops. “But Celestia was certain Luna left for Ponyville, and she wasn’t seen until the next morning…”

“Maybe she went to another city?”

“...Somehow, I don’t think so Twilight.” Shaking her head, Cadance changes the subject. “Hey, how about Hearth's Warming Eve? What was it like?”

I tune out the rest of their conversation and begin to slowly bounce away. When I reach the ballroom doors, I start breathing very heavily and hurry once out of sight. I need to get away, think, figure out what was going wrong. How on earth had yet another episode gone wrong already?! Without me ever knowing about it too so long after the fact? Was this also my fault, was it this strange version of Luna? Could the butterfly effect be taking hold in ways I had not predicted? I was starting to panic, and so with a deep shudder I hurry to make my escape to solitude.


The party was finally starting to die down. All of the nobles had left some time ago, but Fancy Pants at least lingered to talk with Twilight and her friends more, as well as pay the band that has been performing at his own garden party. Shining was now sitting with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash as he talks about some of his days in boot camp, and I was enjoying some time with Fluttershy while Twilight and Rarity have a chat to one side.

“So Koromon is a boy?” I blink in surprise.

The shy young mare nods. “Mmhm. He seemed very happy to hear me say that. I suppose he gets confused often for a girl thanks to his color and gender neutral body type. His species must be very fascinating - I would love to talk with him more when I have the chance.”

“I-I see.” A weak chuckle escapes my lips. No wonder he was always avoiding the ribbons and other gifts. I’ll have to somehow make it up to him for doing that.

Speaking of the little blob however, I couldn’t see where he’s gone. Lifting my head up, I scan the garden but see no sign of him anywhere around. Even with opening up my senses to try and feel out his emotions I can’t find anypony but the nine of us, the band leaving down the path. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him in quite a while, so maybe he didn’t just leave recently?

“Shiny?” I call out to my fiance. “Have you seen Koromon anywhere?”

Shining pauses and looks over to me, then shakes his head. “Sorry Cady, can’t say that I have.”

“Twilight?”

“Yes Cadance?” My future sister-in-law looks over.

“Have you seen Koromon?”

“Who? Oh, your pet right?” She shakes her head. “Sorry, but no I haven’t.”

“That’s odd...where did that troublemaker get to now?”

“It’s getting late Cadance. Maybe he just went back up to the room finally.” Shining offers, and I shrug.

“Well if he’s not there he’s definitely going to get an earful.” Putting the matter aside, I turn back to Fluttershy and ask her a question about her animal caretaker job. But a part of me can’t help but feel more than just worried. After all, when I first showed up, I think he had felt very scared. Of me no less. But why would that be?

Author's Note:

So two weeks after my first initial belief of finishing this...and ironically fourth MONTHS later just like in this chapter...here we are. :pinkiesick:

It took forever to do all of this, but in a lot of ways I'm pleased as punch by it all since it let me do some very creative side-along writing to the episode Sweet and Elite. It's late...so tired...maybe I'll edit this AN with more in the morning. Goodnight All!

Morning Edit: So like I said this took forever! I even posted a Blog about the delays and even then I had to wait a while to get it done and posted. What I especially love about this chapter was how it detailed side events of the show as well as allowed for an outside view of some scenes. Koromon's struggle and comprimises with himself also were a delight, because I feel it's an honest progression on how a fan might react when in the same spot. Let me know how you feel about it in the comments, and maybe about Cadance looks and feel too. We're going to be seeing a lot of her next chapter. :raritywink: