• Published 27th Nov 2011
  • 1,172 Views, 3 Comments

Mutants Story - Skywing the Mutant



Six mares and a stallion with a scarred past, whats the worst that could happen.

  • ...
3
 3
 1,172

New Guy

"Well, I made it to the Everfree Forest without being seen... that does seem to be a small quiet town... they never said anything about me socializing... I wonder if anypony knows of me... ah to hell with it, they never gave me a deadline. I'll start work at the crack of dawn tomorrow, the day's almost over anyways."


Rainbow Dash finished work just like any other day, today's forecast called for partly cloudy skies with a few sprinkles. She was laid out on a lone cloud just above a dirt road leading out of Ponyville. Ready to take one of her typical mid-day naps, she jolted back to full consciousness by the only thing that'd kill her more than being rejected by the Wonderbolts; Fluttershy screaming. The first thing that came to the mind of the cyan pegasus was that Fluttershy was in hurt and in trouble. Without much thought, Rainbow Dash bolted to towards the direction of the scream. she stopped on top of a cloud only fifty feet of so from the timid pegasus. The cyan mare peeked out only enough to look at her friends assailant. Fluttershy was facing a green alicorn mare, the two were approximently equal in height. Her wings dipped into the dirt as if their were no bones in them. Her mane a mix of bright greens and yellows was was tangled within itself. The two were standing in front of a large tree not far from Fluttershys cottage. Rainbow Dash had enough when she saw Fluttershy lifted a hoof and jerk back, the mysterious alicorn slowly leaned forwards.

"You leave Fluttershy alone!" Rainbow Dash came charging at the green mare thing. the impact sent them to a tree behind her. "Fluttershy, are you okay? I'll deal with her."

"um, actually he's um... my friend." Fluttershy replied.

Rainbow Dash than got over her friends attacker and proceeded to assault her. "Nobody messes With my friends, you hear me!"

"Wait!" Fluttershy spoke out. The beating came to a stop. a wing and an ear laid off to the side, torn off in the struggle. "Skywing, are you alright. I'm so sorry for Rainbow Dash's actions."

"Uh, Fluttershy what's going on?" The cyan mare got off the strange alicorn, and fell on her flank.

"Rainbow Dash, he is my friend. This is Skywing." She replied.

"I don't know whats going on, but I'm pretty sure she is a mare." Dash was confident in what she was saying.

"well actually he's a... a uh-"

"A mutant." Skywing spoke with an unmistakable stallion voice. staggering to his hooves, He acted as if nothing really happened. He had no evidence of pain. the profuse bleeding had stopped in seconds. "uh... hello?" Rainbow Dash only gawked at Skywing. "Eeyeah... you turned me into Vincent Van Colt. but other than that, you helped me get rid of half the dead weight I need to get rid of. Help me tear off my other wing, and I'll explain."

"Wait, did that even hurt!?" seemed stunned at what she herd.

"Yeah, but dragging them on the ground hurts more." Skywing replied. "Now rip my wing out!"

"O-okay." Skywing got down on his back and extended his wing the best he could. Rainbow Dash placed her hoof on top of the wing as she did the previous. Weather it was a well calculated kick or just dumb luck, the wing came off just the same. the open wound bled out for seconds before coming to an abrupt halt.

"Okay. as I said, my explanation. First off, I'm missing both humerus. So that means wing support what so ever. As for the short bleeding. I must confess, I don't know much about that. I think it has something to do with my regenerating flesh." Skywing finished his short explanation.

"Um... I was actually wondering how you know Fluttershy?" Rainbow Dash asked the only question.

Skywing dreaded that question. The green mare-like stallion just sat there for a moment, going over the events of that day. He finally spoke after what seemed like an eternity to him. "I still have problems with that day. Sorry, but I cant answer that."

"Th-they got you that day. Didn't they? Oh I'm sorry! You don't have to answer that! I mean." Fluttershy stopped in mid-sentence. Fearing she had said something wrong.

Skywing only closed his eyes and dipped his head slightly, then steadily walked to the cowering mare. Fluttershy stepped back, shaking as she did. As he got closer to the mare, she stumbled to the ground. Fearing the worst, Fluttershy clenched her eyes closed, and turned her head away. Skywing stopped directly in front of the now terrified mare. "Cant you see you're scaring her!" Rainbow Dash yelled at the mutant. Skywing took no heed, choosing to calmly lower himself to his belly. At this point their faces mere inches apart.

"Yes. they did." Skywing softly spoke, as not to frighted the mare any more then she was. Fluttershy turned her head back to see her old friend looking at the dirt underneath them. "they did get me." Skywing slowly turned his head. Fluttershy nuzzled his neck in an attempt to comfort him from the memories that invaded his mind, to no avail. Fluttershy slowly got up and moved to the left of Skywing. Getting back down on her belly, Fluttershy wrapped a wing around him in a gesture of comfort.

Rainbow Dash just stood there, watching the whole thing unfold. It took three more minutes to decide to get their friends involved. 'Whatever happened must have been big.' Dash thought to herself. She took to the skies in search of her friends, and to give two some momentary space.

It didn't take Dash long to spot a familiar stand. The remaining customers left as Rainbow Dash came in for a landing. Landing just to the right of the cart, Dash was the first to speak. "Hey, AJ what's going on?"

"closin' up, we sold out quicker than usual." Applejack quickly replied. "So what's happinen' yourself?"

"I don't know how or why, or who he is. but a friend of Fluttershy's has shown up." Rainbow Dash was hesitant about that.

"No foolin'?" Applejack shot with surprise.

"no joke." The cyan pegasus spoke. "their still at Fluttershys cottage."

"great, I'll get the cart back home and meet 'em there."

"I'll meet you there when I get everypony else." with that, Rainbow Dash was off. not even ten second later Sugarcube Corner came into view. She landed in front just outside the front door. She swung the door open reveling a mostly empty shop.

"Hey Dashie, Do you want to make some cupcakes with m-" Rainbow forced a hoof into Pinkie Pies mouth.

"Yeah, yeah. Cupcakes, torture, gutting. It's getting old Pinkie!" Dash Said in annoyance. "I'm here because a friend of Fluttershys is in town, and I thought I would tell you all about it."

Pinkie Pie removed Dashies hoof "Ooh so who is it?"

"I forget his name, but he's green, and his wings were limp."

"Did he have a horn?" Pinkie asked, a little more excited than usual.

"Yeah. How'd you guess?" Dash hadn't expected her to ask.

"It's Skywing, The Cloudsdale Mutant!"

Rainbow Dash was dumbstruck.

"Wait! He's Fluttershys friend? How did that happen."

The cyan pegasus finally spoke after a full minute "I don't know, They never told me."

"Well I guess I should go find them after my shift." Pinkies enthusiasm died down with that said.

"Well, we got through the mid-day rush." Mrs. cakes voice was herd as she came down the stairs. "They get worse every year. Things calm down after the mid-day rush. You can go Pinkie."

"Okei-Dokei-Lokei. I never met a mutant before, never-ever-ever-ever-ever." Pinkie Pie bounced out the front door, in the direction of fluttershys cottage.

"Okay, now where... I guess whatever I see next." Was the last thing Rainbow Dash said before flying out of Sugarcube Corner.


"Is she going to tell the whole town?" Skywing recovered from his silent emotional breakdown, and now had an unamused look painted on his face.

"oh no, she wouldn't. I'm sure she's only telling our friends." Fluttershy reassured.

"Oh, well here come two of them now."

Applejack and Pinkie Pie were the ones to make it first. "Skywing, what happened to you!" Pinkie Pie was first to speak.

"Rainbow Dash happened." Skywing replied with a bit of anger.

"Where are your wings?"

"Why, want them? There over by the tree."

"Wait, your an alicorn!?" Applejack finally got into the conversation.

"No silly filly. He the Cloudsdale Mutant." Pinkie pie answered for Skywing.

"Oh, so you're Fluttershys friend, ah'd never think of fluttershy havin' more friends in school. Skywing is your name? well, ahm Applejack."

"yeah, heh heh. I'm Skywing." Applejack grabbed Skywings right forehoof shaking it her usual aggressive manor, if not harder. His hoof came off at the shoulder.

Applejack gasped at this outcome. "ahm so sorry, ah didn't mean for that to happen!"

"Fluttershy, dear. I herd you have a friend in tow-" The approaching Rarity was met with the gruesome site, and her word turned to screams of terror. Fluttershy, Pinkie pie, and Applejack starred at the now fleeing Rarity. Skywing however, scolded Applejack out from the corner of his eye, then pulled his forehoof from her grip with his magic. Applejacks attention shifted to Skywing, who was reattaching his dismembered limb.

"How'd y'all go and put your hoof back on like that?" Applejacks confusion was apparent.

"Having an unstable genetic code helps with the recovery process. And a little unicorn magic never hurt, metaphorically speaking." Skywing explained as a struggle could be herd in the distance.

"NO! I refuse to go back, that was absolutely disgusting!" Rarity couldn't put up much of a fight.

"I'm sure you're overreacting to this." Twilight spoke, coming into view.

"yeah, I don't think anypony's that mean." Rainbow Dash added. Rarity finally came into view. encased in Twilights magic aura. The dismembered leg Rarity saw was not there this time.

"See, there is nothing disgusting here." Twilight reassured.

"Oh, I guess I was just hallucinating than." Rarity was finally released from Twilights magic grip when she calmed down. "I terribly sorry about earlier. My name is Rarity, I assume you're Fluttershys new friend?"

"Yes I am, my name is Skywing." 'I had no idea Fluttershy had so many friends' Skywing didn't know what to expect with all the conflicting reactions 'Just stay calm, and you'll get through this.'

"Skywing." Twilight spoke up. "Rainbow Dash told me that you're a mutant. Now I know thats not true,because the last known mutant Died three hundred years ago. She also told me you are an alicorn. But since you don't have wings don't have wings, I can safely say you are not an alicorn. And I will have a long lecture with a certain cyan pegasus." Twilight shot a look at Rainbow Dash from the corner of her eye.

"Okay, I don't know what to say." Skywing started. "First of all, I am a genuine mutant. So when you said mutants are extinct, that really hurt. Secondly, My wings drag on the ground so Rainbow Dash ripped them off."

"Wait I didn't even tell you my name. How'd you figure it out?" Rainbow Dash show an accusive look at Skywing.

"Fluttershy called you by that name, and most of you are B-list celebs." Skywing looked directly at Rainbow Dash with an expressionless look. then Turned to Pinkie Pie "You... pinky, I forgot your name. what was it?"

"My name is Pinkamena Diane Pie, but everybody calls me Pinkie Pie." Pinkie bounced out of pure excitement.

"...How'd I get that one... no matter." Skywing returned his attention to Twilight. "Your fame precieves you, Twilight Sparkle."

"Wait, I'm not that famous." Twilight rejected the whole idea of being a celebrity.

"Oh please, you're an A-list celeb. Not very many pomies know you by name, everypony refers to you as 'Princess Celestias student. And defeating Nightmare Moon and Discord only raised your popularity."

"Do you ever wish you could fly?" Pinkie Pie cut off Twilight before she could say anything, much to her relief.

"I don't really have to, why?" Skywing turned back to face Pinkie Pie.

"How can you not want to fly? The wind in your face. The way your body feels. The adrenaline rush, it's all so awesome!" Rainbow Dash expression said it all.

"Just watch." Skywings horn started to glow, a green aura covering it. Small tremors could be felt in the ground, but nothing else. seconds passed by as the cyan pegasus grew impatient.

"How long is this going to take?" The rhetorical question from Rainbow Dash fell om deaf ears. Skywing closed his eyes as the spell continued. A second later, a stone board surrounded on a bright green aura vertically shot out of the ground. The thin oval shaped object came to ground level after going several feet into the air. The top half was smooth and flat, as the bottom was slightly rounded.

"This is how I fly." Skywing jumped on the stone board.

"It's alright, I guess. What can it do." Rainbow Dash, completely unimpressed, didn't expect what came next.

"Wanna race."