• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 2,221 Views, 64 Comments

Equestria Noir Season 2 Case 12 "Big Top Fall" - Jacoboby1



A murder mystery at the circus reveals more of Trixie's past.

  • ...
2
 64
 2,221

Chapter 4 "Curtain Call"

Chapter 4

“Curtain Call”

It didn’t take us too long to find Trixie’s wagon in the circus parking lot. It hasn’t been broken apart, but there were obvious signs of a struggle. The interior was completely trashed. The door was standing wide open, if there had been items on the bolted-down table they were scattered on the floor now, and several cushions were thrown about, some of them torn.

“This guy really was serious,” Spike said, picking up a broken prop. “Looks like Trixie put up a fight.”

“I didn’t mean for her to get involved in all this…” Bella said, shaking her head.

“She was probably just around when you confessed to the killing. Figured she’d make a good hostage,” I said. “Most crimes are like that.”

“So what do we do?” Spike asked, and then picked up a piece of paper. “Hey, I found something.”

I held the note to my face and read it. “‘If you want her to live, kill the ringmaster’? That’s strange. This looks kind of like a script.”

Bella gulped, looking very nervous. “Look, there’s, no need to get dramatic here…”

I slowly pulled out Blackhawk. “You got yourself into this mess, it’s time you paid.”

“W-what, y-you aren’t going to k-kill me are you?” Bella stammered.

“Of course not, but I’m not going to have you just run off either,” I said, and then turned to Spike, “Grab something that belongs to Trixie.”

“Will this work?” Spike said, pulling out what looked like part of Trixie’s cape.

“Perfect,” I said, activating a DNA spell on it, soon enough, a path leading out of the wagon and into the street was formed. “Come on, the DNA won’t stay there for long.”

“Oh goodness! Well I’ll just call the police th-” Bella said, backing up slowly, trying to look innocent, but it was obvious to everypony, and dragon, that she was trying to escape.

Spike stood in front of her. “No lady, you’re coming, Trixie is one of our friends and I’m not about to let her get hurt because of your mistake.”

“Look, I didn’t have any choice in the matter! It was either one person took the fall or the entire circus would’ve died!” Bella yelled...then covered her mouth with her hooves.

“Exactly, who was the pony to take the fall…?” I asked.

_________________________________________________

The DNA path led us into the vacant circus tent. I walked with Bella in front of me, Blackhawk loaded if she tried anything. We went in to the dimly lit tent, the smell of sawdust heavy in the air. This tent was obviously used as a general storage room for the circus’ supplies. Upon entrance, I saw…

Spindle’s father, Copper Wire...was holding a gun to a tied up Trixie’s head.

“Private!” She yelled, struggling in the bindings.

“SHUT UP!” Copper yelled and glared at me, “I told you to kill her! Make her pay for what she did to my son!”

“Please Copper!” Bella yelled. “That mare has nothing to do with this!”

“I don’t care!” Copper yelled, “You took my son away! He was a good boy, he never hurt anypony! But when he found out about your secret, you murdered him!”

“It was an accident!” Bella pleaded. “I only wanted to hurt him a little, I didn’t mean to kill him! I cut off his rope at the wrong time! He fell, there was nothing I could do!”

“Excuses!” Copper yelled.

“Copper, if you put the gun down now, I’ll see if the police can cut you a deal,” I said. “You can walk away from all this.”

“Not until somepony pays for murdering my son! If it’s not Bella, then it’ll be this girl!”

“YOU CAN’T KILL HER!” Bella yelled.

“I thought she was a stranger, Bella, an innocent,” Copper said.

Trixie glared at Bella, “Oh, so I’m still a stranger cousin?!

“COUSIN?!” Copper yelled, looking shocked.

“She’s the daughter of my mother’s eldest sister! The one who was supposed to inform my mother of the inheritance of this circus! My mother was supposed to get it after her mother died!” Trixie yelled.

“Trixie…” Bella said, “No, that can’t be true, my aunt said she only ever had the one sister.”

“Another lie, on top of a whole bunch,” Spike said, crossing his arms.

“What are you talking about?” Copper asked.

“This is too good of a story,” I said. “Think about it, a acrobat uncovers corruption, revenge of a grieving father, a perfect innocent. This kind of story would get the circus closed for good…so why don’t you just drop the act Copper.”

“But...she said…” Copper said, looking at Trixie. “If I kidnapped you...that..Bella would pay…”

“YOU FOOL!” I looked over, and saw...Bella’s aunt standing at another entrance. “What’s taking you so long I-” She then saw... Bella. “Bella...dear...you weren’t supposed to be here…”

“What’s going on Aunt Fawna?” Bella asked. “I learn that Trixie is my cousin, that you made Copper kidnap her, and that he was told that Trixie wasn’t my cousin.”

Fawna laughed, “Bella, dear, let’s just have you leave now, I’ll handle everything.” She started to walk away, before my horn sparked and the ground formed a seal on the exit. “What the?”

“You’re not going anywhere until you talk, witch,” Spike said.

“Aunt Fawna, just what is going on?” Bella pleaded.

“FAWNA!?” Trixie yelled, and then glared at her. “You are my Aunt Fawna!”

“No!” Fawna turned. “No I am not you aunt! You are not my niece! You have no relation at all!”

“What is going on here?” Copper asked.

“This was all one giant set up.” I said.

“You, you were the one who suggested I hurt Spindle, to discourage him from looking into the financials…” Bella said.

“I did it to protect you my dear! Everything I’ve done was for you!” Fawna yelled. “You are the daughter of my one and ONLY sister! That worthless two bit magician never had the talent! I was the one with all the skills! I was the one with the know-how! I was better than that worthless skank any day! But what does my dear sister do after she’s passed? She has the gall to suggest that we allow her back into the family! That this worthless trash be allowed a job!” She pointed at Trixie.

“You mean,” Spike said. “That if everything had gone according to plan, Trixie would’ve lived here?”

“I…” Bella looked at Trixie, who was fuming. “Trixie, I had no idea. I didn’t even know I had a second aunt...I’m sorry…”

“You DON’T have a second aunt, Bella!” Fawna yelled. “She left the family for good reason! Because she was just as worthless and pathetic a unicorn as her daughter! Illusion magic! BAH! Mere parlor tricks! We disowned her after she left! I was supposed to get everything after your mother died! EVERYTHING! I was going to sell this worthless dying circus and leave behind the family shame forever!”

“But, I thought you always believed in the circus…” Bella said, heartbroken.

“This place is nothing but a ginorumous waste of money! My NON sister wanted to keep it going, but she didn’t deserve it…” She said, her eye twitching. “She didn’t deserve any of it...she deserved nothing less than death...shame….yes shame…”

“YOU WITCH!!” Trixie yelled.

“I did everything...I tried to get you to stop this circus…” Fawna went on.

“You were the reason the circus was failing,” I said. “You probably convinced Bella to make the bigger and more expensive sets in the hopes to bankrupt her.”

“Which led to her stealing from the guests,” Spike added.

“And then you heard that Spindle had caught on to the scam.” I continued.

“So you arranged an ‘accident’,” Spike contributed.

“Then when you heard Trixie was in town, so you hatched a plan,” I stated.

“You lied to Copper, telling him that Bella will confess if an innocent was involved,” Spike accused.

“You used his grief in the hopes he would kill Trixie, the ultimate revenge against your sister,” I concluded, with finality.

Spike and I smiled, and hoof/claw bumped.

“YOU!” Fawnwa yelled, and suddenly pulled a pistol out of her business blouse. “I’ll kill you all! Say it was a shoot out! That way this circus, this shame will finally be buried forever! I’ll kill you all just like I killed that worthless sister of mine!”

Suddenly a bright flash came from Trixie...I watched as the ropes were blown into minute scraps of fiber, and scattered around the area.. Before my very eyes Trixie floated in the air, her eyes becoming white and her horn glowing brightly. I had only seen Twilight do this, before. Apparently Trixie was more powerful that we had thought.

“What’s going on?” Spike said, shielding his eyes.

“Magical surge!” I yelled.

“Wait, I...this wasn’t how it was supposed to go..” Copper said, backing away.

“Trixie…” Bella said, watching.

Trixie pointed at Fawna. “You! You are the reason my family was destroyed! Mother didn’t return because you killed her!”

“Yes! I killed her!” Fawna yelled. “I arranged an accident! Everything was perfect! Nopony knew a thing! Everypony was happy! So long as my sister didn’t exist everything was fine! Until you came along you little hellspawn!”

“I WILL BURY YOU!!!” Trixie yelled, her horn glowing brighter and she fired a bolt of lightning that was so hot I’m surprised the sand didn’t turn to glass when it nearly hit Fawna.

“I have a few tricks of my own, wench!” Fawna shouted...and pulled out a syringe…

“NO!” I yelled, firing a bullet at the syringe, sending it flying through the air. It landed in the sand, across the room from Fawna. From there, Trixie then fired a magical bolt, sending Fawna flying into the stands. Trixie ran over, and glared down at her.

“So many years of my life I wondered if my mother abandoned me. I wondered if maybe I was cursed to always fail in life. I wondered if maybe I didn’t deserve to live. But now, I know it was you who I have to blame for everything in my life!” Trixie yelled, her horn glowing.

“You are truly pathetic! You and your mother always were pathetic! I was the perfect one! I did everything!” She then fired a bolt of magic, sending Trixie back. She then magically lifted her gun and aimed it at Trixie. “Now, I will end all of you!”

I grabbed Spike. “Spike, fireball!” I yelled as I chucked him at Fawna. Spike unleashed a torrent of fire once he got close to her gun and….

BOOOM!

The gun exploded in her face, she screamed at the pain. Trixie used this opportunity to tackle Fawna and pin her to the ground. “NOW PAY FOR RUINING MY LIFE!!!” she yelled, her horn glowing brightly.

“TRIXIE NO!” Spike yelled, moving Trixie’s horn away just in time for a blast of magic to fire out of it, creating a hole in the ceiling.

Trixie let out a breath, her eyes returning to normal. She looked to Spike, “You... stopped me.”

Spike just gave a look, put a hand on her shoulder and said, “Don’t become her.”

I made my way over to Fawna, and started cuffing her. “Alright, you are under arrest, don’t even try to sneak your way around this one.”

Spike went over to collect the syringe as Fawna madly shouted: “You all just wait! I’ll sue all of you! I’ll break out! I’ll kill you all!”

Bella walked over to Trixie as Fawna kept ranting about this or that plan for vengeance. Bella awkwardly spoke, “Trixie I-I don’t know what to say.”

Trixie just shook her head. “None of this was truly your fault. Both of us suffered because of what that witch did.”

“I’m still am going to do time for Spindle…” Bella said, and then put a hoof on Trixie’s shoulder. “But, if you ever need a home, or a job, you need only ask.”

“You’d...do that for me?” Trixie said, blinking tears.

“Of course, anything for my cousin after all…” She said, and then the pair hugged. Bella broke away as Copper came up. “Copper, there’s, nothing I can say is there?”

Copper shook his head. “I know it was an accident but. I just wanted somepony to pay for my son. Now that I know who’s really behind all this. I...I won’t forgive what you did for a long time. But, I can start trying.”

“That’s, all I can really hope for,” Bella said, smiling.

Spike walked over to me, the syringe in his claws as he said, “Another case solved, wait till we tell Twilight this when we get home.”

“If her and Dash will finish their ship to ship combat within the next few years,” I said with a chuckle. “Now, let me see that syrin-” I blinked as I looked at the label…

Glimmer made these too...these syringes…

I turned and glared at Fawna. “Where did you get this?”

Fawna just smirked, “Like I would tell you. I’ll be exercising my right to remain silent…”

“Hey! You can’t just blow us off like that!” Spike yelled.

“It’s alright Spike,” I said, narrowing my eyes at Fawna. “We’ll figure things out eventually...until then.” My horn glowed, “Lights out coo coo clock.”

The anaesthetic spell dropped Fawna like a rock. I looked at the syringes. These things have been popping up ever since the Grapes case. But how do these unicorns keep getting their hooves on them? Who’s making them...and why?