• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 4,882 Views, 84 Comments

Reversed Realities - The1975Dash



After babysitting her little cousin, Maria Pearson is frustrated; not at her cousin, but her drawing. It's missing one thing she can't think of; the pony's Cutie Mark. Eventually she gives up and falls asleep, waking up in the land she

  • ...
9
 84
 4,882

Higher Learning

When Sweetie Belle and I woke up we were quickly alerted by the sweet aroma that had wafted across into the room. We moved towards the source of the smell as if we were possessed. I could only guess what it was, but I didn’t care because it smelt wonderful. “Hey Aero what do you think it is?” Sweetie said, still following the scent in her daze. I was too caught up in my own to respond properly so instead I gave a small nod and kept on walking. We got closer to the source as we were faced with the kitchen, but still it wasn’t in our sight. We darted in and saw Rarity sitting at the table with an empty plate, yet the smell was clearly coming from that plate and our ears fell back slightly “I should’ve known Rarity would do something like that…” she sighed.

Rarity turned her head towards us and smiled. “Good to see you’re up girls. That breakfast I had was simply divine. It was one of AppleJack’s apple fritters and it was irresistible.” She teased as our stomachs started to rumble. “You girls really missed out on a treat, but you know what they say; the early bird catches the worm.” She smirked and I could see Sweetie Belle almost steaming with anger. It was clear to me that Sweetie Belle was a pony who appreciated breakfast and didn’t want to miss out on it. I hadn’t actually eaten since I arrived in Equestria, so I was quick to join Sweetie in her aggressive stance and all Rarity could do was laugh. I was slightly confused by her laughter and began looking around and then looking at myself and Sweetie to see if it was us. “You two are adorable. I went out early in the morning to get those fritters and you think that I had them all to myself? That wouldn’t be very ladylike of me.” She winked before pulling away the extra bit of cloth on the table and revealing two extra fritters, each on their individual plate. “Did you girls both think that I would stop you from having breakfast?” we both nodded firmly and then sat at the table. “Why on Equestria would you think I would do that?”

“Because yesterday we upset you by using your fabrics and making a mess.” Sweetie stuttered. I could see Rarity visibly twitch just at the thought of last night’s drama, but she regained herself and shook her head.

She stood in between the two of us and gave a soft chuckle “Oh you young fillies were just being creative, and how could I not understand? Last night I was just being irrational and I should’ve realised that you were trying to be helpful.” She smiled and walked back a couple of feet “Now dig in girls. You haven’t got long before you have to go to school, and Aero don’t forget that Twilight will be meeting you outside after school has finished.” I nodded and both of us started to eat our breakfast.

Initially I was a bit reluctant to start because I had never been a fan of apples or any apple based product, so having an apple fritter didn’t seem too appetising to me, but my stomach rumbled enough to tell me that I would have to put my fussiness behind. I watched Sweetie Belle eat hers without using her hooves or anything, so I assumed it wouldn’t look silly for me to do that, although when I started I wasn’t quite as messy as her. “Sweetie Belle, look at Aero and see how she’s managing to keep the crumbs on her plate. I want you to be able to do that as well.” Rarity scolded. After the first bite my mind went all numb and fuzzy. This apple based product was amazing and I felt stupid for my previous doubts. The taste was simply incredible; it was sweet yet with a certain hint of sour flavour in it. The texture was incredible and I couldn’t get over it; it was just like it was melting in my mouth. When I realised how good it was I was soon eating at the same rate as Sweetie Belle, if not quicker. We finished at the same time and both turned, grinning at each other.

I giggled “Sweetie Belle. You have some on your face.” We both began laughing incessantly, but we were silenced when a cloth was levitated in front of both of us and then it closed its distance and wiped our faces. We could only hear Rarity laughing and we couldn’t help but join in even whilst our faces were being cleaned by the cloths.

I looked on at Sweetie Belle as her face was still being cleaned and I looked across to see Rarity enjoying this. Finally the cloth dropped and Sweetie shot a glare at her sister. The purple-maned unicorn put a hoof to her chest to say she’s innocent, but all three of us were quick to burst into laughter. This was cut short when an alarm went off and I panicked; was something bad happening, was there a fire? I realised soon that I was being laughed at by the other two. I frowned and Sweetie Belle disappeared briefly, returning with a saddlebag on her back and another in her mouth. She dropped it on the floor before speaking to me “That was just the alarm to say that it’s time to go. It also signals the start to Rarity’s working hours, but it works with both happening at the same time. You can have my old saddlebag” she gestured to the stylish pink and purple saddlebag. It was obvious who had made this one. It was lifted by the same purple aura that lifted me just yesterday and the saddlebag was placed on my back. It was a perfect fit and I actually found it rather comfortable, although its colour was not normally my style. However, despite it not being my style I found it suitable and I could always get a new one if I wanted it. I was sure Twilight wouldn’t mind if I used my ‘allowance’ she was talking about, to get something related to education. “C’mon Aero we’ve gotta go. We’re already running late.” She blurted, now beginning to panic a little bit.

She dashed out of the door and I followed after her, trying to keep up, but it seemed like she was rivalling Pinkie Pie with that speed. I gritted my teeth and tried even harder. She wasn’t getting any further away, but I wasn’t getting closer at any rate. As I ran I felt a familiar breeze rush past me and then rush back, but all I could see of it was a rainbow trail. “Hey kid. You have wings for a reason.” I looked at my wings as if I was confused “C’mon I saw you flying just fine yesterday. It’s faster and much less effort once you get the hang of it.” Rainbow encouraged as she kept on whizzing past me. “Here let me help.” She chuckled and I found myself being picked up. She kept at the pace I was running and held me “Open your wings up, but make sure that it’s not open to the wind except at the narrowest point so……have them horizontal.” I opened out my wings and found the wind catching on to them fast, almost pulling them back “Horizontal” Rainbow repeated. With eyes that were watering from their exposure to the air I looked back at one of my wings and started to turn it so that it appeared flat and my other wing followed. Immediately I felt the resistance decrease dramatically “See I told ya. Now what you’re gonna do it you’re gonna flap your wings so that it pushes you off the ground a little bit, but it’s also going to propel you forwards. Try it with me.” She urged and let go of me, making sure to keep pace with me. “Ready?” I nodded, looking forward to concentrate. I started flapping my wings just like Rainbow said to and I soon found myself moving forwards. It started out slower than my run, but I soon gained momentum and I was moving even quicker than before. “Atta girl Aero!” Rainbow cheered as she drifted beside me, almost trying to let me know how much faster she was.

Sweetie Belle’s once disappearing figure was now getting closer and closer. I smirked as I rushed past her, sticking my tongue out. I didn’t realise how fast I was going and looked back to see I was going fast enough for Sweetie to stumble from the force that followed behind me. I laughed almost manically and even Rainbow chuckled a little bit. However, I realised something. “I don’t actually know the way to school.” I looked back again at Sweetie Belle to see her running again and comically panting in her efforts to get to school on time. I wasn’t looking where I was going and as I turned my head back I saw a tree coming impossibly close and I started to flail my wings to stop myself, but it was too late and I whacked into the tree and dropped down after the impact. As I sat up I groaned and rubbed my head “Ouch…that hurt.” I said rather nonchalantly. I was thankful I had managed to keep my pain barrier after my transformation and I stood back up feeling a little bit dizzy, but actually okay.

“Come on Aero lets go!” Sweetie Belle called and ran past me. I was still amazed that my saddleback was still on. I caught up to her with the trick Dash had taught me. I looked around to see that the pony had completely vanished, nowhere to be seen. I looked up to the sky and caught a faint glimmer of a rainbow. Obviously she had decided on an impromptu lesson and then left when she was done. Did she even see me crash? “Nice flying trick. It’s just a shame you still can’t land.” Sweetie chuckled as I followed her and we finally caught sight of the school. To me it looked pretty old fashioned and quite small; maybe only enough for one or two classes. I had to remind myself that as a pony I’m probably much smaller than I was as a human and so there was probably more room than I thought. “Race ya!” Sweetie cheered before darting away. Immediately I did what I had just learnt and caught up to Sweetie Belle, winking at her as I went on past her. “Watch out!” she screamed and I soon found out why as I crashed into somepony else. The two of us rolled a couple of times on the ground before coming to a stop. “Oh no.” Sweetie moaned as she saw who I had crashed into. I looked to see a magenta coloured leg. I swore in my head. There was only one pony I could think of with that colour fur.

She huffed and stomped on one of my hooves “Watch where you’re going blank flank!” Diamon Tiara snapped. “Some of us have to make sure that we can use our talents. So beat it!” she squawked and stomped off to the school. Sweetie Belle walked over to me, keeping her eyes on Diamond. “I can’t believe her. She turns up out of nowhere yesterday and then flies about as if she owns the town!” I heard her rant on to whoever was listening and stood up.

Sweetie adjusted my saddlebag a little bit and walked beside me “You sure know how to make an impression on Diamond Tiara. Usually she would act nice at first.” I shrugged and we finally made it into the school. It was simply one large classroom and it appeared to just house for ponies of my age. There was one pony that was much larger than all of us and I quickly deduced that as Miss Cheerilee. We approached her and Sweetie spoke up, getting her attention “Miss Cheerilee because Aero is new can she sit next to me? I’m the only one she really knows.”

I looked up at the mare, feeling a bit more nervous than I thought I would. I was glad that Sweetie Belle was so comfortable with speaking to her teacher because I sure wasn’t. I’d never been any good at talking to teachers; I always felt like I was going to be patronised. However, when she spoke to me I didn’t feel as if I was being talked to like a baby. “Aero who do you want to sit with?” I pointed to Sweetie Belle and she smiled proudly before she walked over and wrapped her leg around my shoulders, her hoof pointing at the chair next to hers.

We walked over there. On the way I was nearly tripped up by none other than that brat known as Diamond Tiara. She stuck her tongue out and let me pass, whispering yet another imaginative insult…well it was imaginative to her. I may have been a blank flank, but she had a blank mind. I sat at my desk and then a book was dropped in front of me on my desk. I tried to grab the pencil that was there, but woe is me, I forgot about the hooves. Although they could grip some things, a pencil seemed too much. I looked around to see the unicorns using magic, except for Sweetie Belle who was just opening her book and reading. Then I saw AppleBloom using her mouth to write. I cursed to myself again and picked the pencil up with my mouth and I carefully crafted my name onto the book’s front. It looked a bit untidy and could probably seem a bit more refined, but it would do for now, besides I would have lots of time to practice my handwriting…if I could even call it that. “Today we will be starting on some algebra.” Cheerilee announced and it was followed by a groan from most of the class. My ears perked up at hearing the word algebra. I was never the best at it, but I wasn’t bad. It was basically what maths had turned into at my age as a human. “Now can anypony tell me what X is if seven equals five plus X?” I raised my hoof quickly as I saw everyone writing down what she had put on the board. “Yes Aero?”

“X is equalled to two. Because if you rearrange it then you can have seven minus five is equalled to X and seven minus five is two, so therefore X must also be two.” The whole class nodded, not exactly shocked with me getting that right because it was fairly easy algebra anyway. But then I guessed that because this class is for ponies at a younger age than I actually was, the maths would be easier anyway.

Cheerilee smiled and nodded “Exactly.” She paused for a moment as she thought of another “Okay this one is quite a lot harder and at your age I wouldn’t expect most of you to understand it. Okay, find X when Y=7-3X and 2X+5Y=9” I could Cheerilee was feeling confident, but again it seemed fairly simple to me. I had the advantage of being older than I actually appeared.

I sat back a little bit as others tried to answer. I will admit that I felt a little bit smug then “X equals two.” All eyes turned to me in wonder “If you add all of them together and then separate the letters from the numbers then you can take 3X plus Y and times that by five so that the whole sum can mean only X is left when you take away from the other sum and have 15X-2X and 5Y-5Y which would give 13X=26, so X would equal two.” I decided to give it some more flare and I smiled “Which means on a graph, the lines would intersect at two on the X axis. I could find the Y co-ordinate if you want?” Cheerilee smiled softly and shook her head.

“No that’s quite alright thank you Aero. That’s quite impressive knowledge you have there. Let’s hope it’s not just one thing you can do.” She smiled and set down a textbook on each of our desks. “I want you to all get through as many questions as you can on the algebra section.” I opened my book and saw a vast amount of simple algebraic problems. I sighed to myself, this was going to go painfully slow and I could tell that already.

The lesson dragged on for a long time. It had been an hour and I was already done with all of the sums. Cheerilee was helping AppleBloom understand it because she was struggling. I sat back on my chair and smiled to myself, but I was snapped back to reality when I felt Sweetie Belle nudging at my side “Are you done?” I nodded and she showed me her book and pointed at the last few questions “Can I have some help?” I nod again and look across at her work. I guided Sweetie through an extra few questions until the bell went. I was so relieved to hear that sound; as good as I was at maths, I didn’t actually enjoy it unless it had some relevance.

We bounded out of the class and met up with the other two ‘crusaders’. I was immediately the centre of attention “How can you do math that good? Ah’ve bin tryin’ for so long to get mah head around it, but it jus’ won’t go in.” AppleBloom sighed.

I nudged her and smiled “Don’t worry about it. So I know a bit more about maths than you do. I’m certain you know more on other things than I do.” She perked up a bit more and gave a small smile, blushing a little bit through her light fur. We were forced to turn around when we heard Diamond Tiara clearing her throat for our attention. She had a smile on her face that practically demanded everyone to be quiet for her “Oh boy I can’t wait for this.” I sighed, sarcasm making my voice sound flat. “What are you going to say now? Let me guess first; something to do with me having no cutie mark?” I smirked as I saw her getting more frustrated because I wasn’t letting her talk. “Well come on then. Our break doesn’t last forever.”

Diamond stepped forwards again, getting closer to me than I would’ve liked “You listen here! Just because you can do a few sums doesn’t mean that you’re better than everyone else. I would never become stuck up like that.” My jaw nearly touched the floor in shock of what she just said, although I could see her point. Maybe I was being a little bit too proud of myself from that lesson, but I didn’t think I was bragging about it. “You’re nothing special.” She huffed at me.

I scowled at her comment and felt very close to the edge of my tolerance. “Watch what you say Diamond.” Scootaloo warned, getting angry herself “We already explained that having no cutie mark means that there is still potential for her to be anything.” The others nodded in agreement.

I bit my lip and smirked at her “Yeah. You’re stuck being stuck up. You can’t even change the way you act.” I casually blew a few lone hairs from my mane out of my face. We turned around and even though I was still itching to just attack her I didn’t “Girls one day somepony is going to sort her out and put her in her place. If no pony will then I’ll do it.” I held my hoof up and the other clapped theirs against it. I was finally part of a group of friends rather than floating between people.

We were approached by two fillies that were from our class and they walked up to us with one handle of a skipping rope in each of their mouths. They looked at me as if they were saying something. It didn’t take me long to work out what they were asking, so I nodded and I stood in between them as they started to spin the rope. It was slow at first and I jumped it pretty easily. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle joined me and started jumping with me. The two of them started singing some kind of tune, but I didn’t know what to do so I just kept jumping. When the rope got quicker I naturally had to jump quicker. However, it was easier said than done and my legs were getting tired. “Hey Aero I bet I can last longer than you.” Scootaloo taunted as Sweetie Belle left. How could I say no to that challenge?

“You’re on.” I smirked and we both nodded for the rope to go quicker. Pretty soon I was regretting the decision and I felt on one of the jumps the rope clipped one of my hooves, but that may have been because the rope was slightly higher. However, what I didn’t notice was Diamond Tiara whispering to the fillies with the rope. I heard some giggles, but I was too busy concentrating. “You still good with this, Scoot?” she nodded, grinning back at me.

Just as I thought I was getting into a rhythm again the two fillies were replaced by Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. They didn’t start spinning the rope but pulled it so it would straighten out. I was still over it so it caught my forelegs and flipped me over onto my back. I saw that Scootaloo had gotten out of it just fine and everyone was crowding around me to see if I was okay “I’m fine. I just wish that bi…Diamond Tiara would stop attacking me for no reason. I’ve done nothing.” I whined feeling a little bit hurt and now fed up. Thankfully the bell went again and we went back to our class.


Miss Cheerilee walked into view and smiled again. “Now I have some exciting news children. A friend of this school, Twilight Sparkle has been able to get five pupils to visit Canterlot castle with the princesses’ permission. I will be choosing which five pupils are to go based on their behaviour in class. It is my understanding that Twilight and the princesses have set up various fun challenges for the students to complete, so you will be in teams of five. I will let you choose who you are with, but make sure they are ponies you will work well with and not mess around.” Immediately the four of us ‘Crusaders’ banded together. We found that everyone else was in their groups, leaving us as a four, but we didn’t mind so much because it was probably the most appropriate group for us. “Another thing children, we are done for the day. I expect you to all be ready for the algebra test tomorrow though, so I expect you to all study and revise with the time I’m giving you off.” We all began to charge for the door. “Wait! We still need to decide who does their family appreciation day on Thursday.” We all stopped and went back to our seat and I only just noticed that I would’ve left without my saddlebag.

Diamond Tiara seemed to be keen to speak up about me again “Why doesn’t Aero do it seeing as she’s new?” she frowned.

Just at the mention of that Cheerilee perked up and looked at me “That’s not a bad idea Diamond. Well Aero, how about it?” I frowned back at Diamond and shook my head, sighing. I couldn’t exactly tell them anything without them thinking I was crazy.

I grit my teeth for a second and let my tail swish slowly as all eyes were going back to me, all of them waiting for an answer. “I don’t think I can…my parents aren’t actually around anymore.” I chuckled nervously as I scratched the back of my head. “Nor are any other relatives, they’re all gone…I’m the only one left.” I started to feel tears form in my eyes. I couldn’t understand it, because if anything it would be my family would think I’m gone. “I could try and tell you what I remember though.” I gave a reassuring smile. I had now given myself a lot to do. I had to think of everything I could and twist it slightly to make it seem more believable for this world. I thanked my luck that I was going to be living in a library. “Yeah, I’ll do it.” I smiled. Diamond seemed disappointed, which was telling me that she knew of what family I had in this world.

“Great! Well class dismissed and I’ll see you all tomorrow for your test.” Cheerilee cheered and once again we all made a beeline for the door, this time I remembered my bag and I was quick to open the door, unleashing the torrent of young fillies and colts into the streets as they broke out of the school and made their way home. Among the ponies I was able to spot Twilight waiting for me, barely able to avoid the oncoming surge of the other ponies just having gotten out of school.

I flew up and gently glided over to her, steping down to the ground when it was cleared “Hello Twilight.” I chirped, also feeling happy that I was able to get out of that school this quick.

She smiled at me and lifted the saddlebag off of me, carrying it in her magical grasp. She lifted my maths book out of its pocket and opened it. “Hmm algebra. I guess you find this pretty easy if you got through all of the questions…” she paused as she read them “and you got all of them right. Wow, you’re a clever little pony.” She whinnied slightly and smirked “Looks like you’ll get on just fine where I live. Just think of it. Two intelligent ponies living and studying together until their brains are fit to burst with information.” I shuddered at the thought.

We started walking down the street and to where I assumed was Twilight’s house in the library. “So, who are you in a group with for the trip to Canterlot castle?” she asked, once again looking proud, probably because she organised the whole thing with the princesses. “Was it with the other crusaders?” she chuckled and I nodded. “What crazy things did you guys do yesterday?”

I sweatdropped and smiled nervously “Well they all thought it was a good idea to get our cutie marks by being daredevils and being shot out of a cannon. Nothing happened except I learnt how to fly then.” I shrugged and she stopped suddenly, turning to face me.

“Aero that’s brilliant. Learning to fly is such an achievement and it’ll stay with you for the rest of your life, so don’t take it for granted.” She chimed and gave me a quick hug before we were back on our way.

I smiled and shook my head, never being used to that kind of sudden affection, not that I minded. I looked around when I heard hoofsteps fast approaching and I saw the other three crusaders. “Aero we forgot to say goodbye to you so…goodbye.” They grinned innocently before speeding away again.

“Huh weird.” Twilight mused.

I chuckled and shook my head before turning around again to walk with Twilight. “So what’re we gonna do?” she looked down at me and shook her head.

“Well tonight we’re revising for a test.” I perked my ears up, looking at her in confusion “Don’t give me that face you silly filly. You know that you have an algebra test tomorrow and you WILL be studying for it. No one under my household will be failing a test.” I opened my mouth to speak “No buts missy. I have an important assignment due in tomorrow for Princess Celestia and she will be here to pick it up.” I closed my mouth and nodded.

We reached Twilight’s house and I opened the door. All the lights were off which could only mean one thing, especially after watching the show. “SURPRISE!” a whole room full of ponies cheered, headed by Pinkie with a party popper full of confetti. I couldn’t have predicted it until the door opened. I felt my smile slowly but surely shifting into a grin of excitement.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading. If theere was anything you like/didn't like then let me know with a comment at the bottom or a PM. I'll be sure to respond when I next check the account. If it's anything i can improve then I'll edit what needs to be edited and therefore improve it. Again, thanks for reding. Bye