• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 2,960 Views, 59 Comments

Lunar Eclipse - Ephemeral Memory



A human falls into Equestria on the day of the Lunar Eclipse.

  • ...
6
 59
 2,960

Chapter 02: Night to Day

Luna’s PoV

When Celie gave me that stern look of hers, I realized that I had overreacted (slightly) toward the “human” (as it -nay- he had called himself).

I shan’t ever admit it though. Royal ponies must maintain proper images for the citizens after all, and making mistakes was not included in them. But still! Is it not better to overreact than remain unprepared for the unknown? What if that creat- human had been dangerous? By suddenly asking me to teleport it to the castle -to her personal chambers, no less!- Celie potentially endangered herself, which, by association, endangered Equestria as well! That human was unconscious at the time though. It could have been a ruse used to attack us while unguarded! It- He was falling to his doom. Perhaps some other enemy had used the cre- human as bait! Or a diversion! Or..! Oh, just cease thy foolish pondering, Luna.

Thinking this, I shifted into a more comfortable position against Celie’s door and listened to the human speak of his origin. Celie was always skilled in the arts of talking.

By the end of their conversation, I had unwittingly sat up and pressed my ear against the door. Some moments, the human’s voice became barely audible and seemed unwilling to expound more on the history of his kind -especially on the topic of war and technology. Celie did not push him for more details. The summary was enough. Mainly, millions dead. It was amazing to hear about humans and their achievements, horrific or not. His claims more often than not left me incredulous, but as he continued speaking of his history, I became convinced that the human was either completely truthful, brainwashed by his kin, or a deceiver of the highest level. I doubted the latter since there would be no advantage in letting Celie know that his kind was rather pugnacious and could pose a grave threat. The only other notable part of the conversation was when Celie explained to “Daniel” that she was one of the diarchs who ruled over Equestria. There was a slight pause, and I could only imagine the human’s face as he began stammering and apologizing for not “addressing and treating Your Majesty as fits Your Highness’s rank.” Celie burst out laughing, and even I could not resist the giggle escaping from my lips. After a bit, I heard my sister entreat, “Please, Daniel, no need for that. Just call me Celestia.”

I had heard that line many times before, but most often, the subject would refuse, stating that it was quite uncouth to refer to Celie as anything but Princess Celestia or a title of similar meaning. Even Celie's current protégé, Twilight Sparkle, only addressed her as Princess, so it was a welcome surprise to hear the human assent to her request.


Daniel’s PoV

Oh man.

I thought I messed up when Celestia told me about Equestria...and how she, along with the Lunatic -I mean- Luna were the diarchs of this place. They very well could have tossed me into the dungeons as that dark blue mare had suggested.

Guess it’s a good thing that Celestia’s pretty chill.

When she started laughing uncontrollably at my attempt to make up for my earlier, lax behavior, I was peeved for a moment before realizing that my panicked expressions and actions looked silly. We shared a couple more minutes of gasping for air after that, and I swore I could hear some muffled giggles behind the door. When the lung-torturing moment ended, she went on with her abridged description of Equestria. Soon enough, we talked the night away, and though the both of us seemed exhausted (yet satisfied), Celestia maintained her composure hardened by millennia of rule. Of course, included in her countenance was that warm smile that was capable enough to end the Ice Age alone.

“Well, Daniel, as much as I enjoyed chatting with you, I must go raise the Sun and..conduct our..royal..duties...” she trailed off. I vaguely noticed her staring at me strangely.

Celestia had began concluding our conversation, but I was back to gawking as soon as I heard those words.

Geezus! Just what couldn’t she do? Wait a minute...Sure, she was one of the, if not the most, powerful beings on the planet, but how could it be possible to move that giant flaming ball of plasma? A giant flaming ball of plasma that was over a hundred million kilometers away to boot! Impossible!

I recovered myself.

“Pfft. Good one, Celestia. Almost pulled the wool over my eyes with that one!” I chuckled good-humoredly.

She raised an eyebrow.

“I wasn’t kidding, Daniel.” replied Celestia with an amused twinkle in her eyes.

I must have had a rather doubtful face on as she smirked and continued, “I can show you -if you don’t mind me proving your doubts incorrect, that is.”

“I’d love to see how you manage to move massive astronomical objects across the skies!” I returned sarcastically.

With my remark, she then turned her head to the door, and as her horn began to glow in yellowish light, the door knob glowed and turned, revealing Luna lying down with her head right next to the door’s former position. She gave a start at being discovered, and a faint blush of embarrassment tinged her cheeks. I grinned at the sight.

Well, well. Who do we have here?

The blue “alicorn”, as Celestia told me, stood up instantly and sputtered, “WE WER- I WAS NOT EAVESDROPPING. WE-I WAS JUST WALKING OVER TO BEGIN THE MOVING OF THE SUN AND MOON!”

Both Celestia and I were cracking up to Luna’s chagrin. Annoyed, she huffed, reared up, and stomped both of her front hooves upon the ground.

“ENOUGH! I DEMAND THEE TO CEASE THY LAUGHTER IMMEDIATELY!” shouted the flustered princess in vain, as her efforts, to her dismay, only added to our amusement.

She was looking pretty glum now, and feeling a small twinge of guilt, with difficulty, I calmed myself, wiping a tear from my eye, and apologized, “Sorry for laughing at you, Princess. It’s just that the way you reacted was rather hilarious.”

Should probably try to get in Luna's good books anyway before she decides to toss me into the dungeons.

Her cyan eyes glared in return with a frown on her face. Since she was, like Celestia, a superpowered princess, I probably should have been worried right then, but I couldn’t help but think that her mad face was rather adorable in the way a child pouts at you after teasing her. Fortunately for me though, Luna’s attention had returned to Celestia, who was now on her back and giggling. Luna, with a mischievous glint in her eyes, snuck up toward her sister and attacked the white alicorn with her wings.

“EN GARDE, CELIE!” exclaimed Luna as she vigorously tickled the now-gasping mare. A tickle war quickly ensued between the two.

Wish I had popcorn.

After more than ten minutes, with no victor in sight, I grew bored.

Let's break this stalemate, shall we?

I stood up for the first time in Equestria, taking care to stretch a bit before preparing my fingers for some action. Swiftly yet stealthily, I strode over, and began tickling Celestia’s stomach and was soon rewarded with more guffaws and wriggling.

Woah. Soft fur.

“Hahaha! I -ha!- give! You -pfft- can stop -haha!- now!” surrendered Celestia. Calming down, she rolled back up to a sitting position and stared at me with mock disapproval and playfully chastised, “That wasn’t very fair of you.”

I smirked in return, and noticed Luna watching me with mixed emotions that ranged from interest and annoyance….and regret? Maybe she felt bad about going nuts earlier. At least the suspicion written on her face earlier wasn’t there anymore.

Eventually, she conceded, “Noble Human, in joining me in the successful attempt to defeat the Ticklemare, thou hast gained my trust. Thus, I declare thee forgiven for thy previous wrongs!”

My wrongs? For laughing at her?

She then concluded her short spiel with an extra snort and nod of approval with an amusingly serious expression on her face.

Oh well. Might as well humor her.

“Why, thank thee. It is an honor to receive thy royal pardon, Princess Luna,” I said and bowed.

“Luna,” she grunted.

“I..what?” I uttered, dumbfounded. I had completely expected her to want to be addressed as royalty with the way she acted last night.

“Thou mayest call me Luna, and I shall call thee Daniel. Is this arrangement agreeable to thee in such a way that allows us to be on better terms with one another?” mumbled the mare, who looked away, suddenly interested in the floor, while one of her hooves traced invisible patterns into the ground.

Aww...I'm touched. Heheh. She touched me.

I mentally slapped myself.

But seriously, her attempt to make up is heart-warming...with a slight touch of awkwardness.

I smiled and replied, “This arrangement is more than agreeable.”

Luna looked back up with mild surprise and beamed.

"Huzzah!"

After Celestia had observed our exchange with mirth twinkling in her eyes, she rose and reminded Luna, “Sister, we must move the Sun and Moon now. We wouldn’t want our citizens to think that I overslept now, do we?”

Then, smirking and addressing me, Celestia said, “Daniel, we’re going to prove you wrong now. Come watch us from the balcony, if you dare.”

She and Luna then began walking to a large balcony that spanned at least fifteen feet wide before stretching outward in a semicircle.

Before following them, I rolled my eyes and deadpanned, “Enlighten me, Highness.”

When I caught up to them with Celestia on my right and Luna on the left, my mouth dropped down. The view before me was nothing short of breathtaking. I had not realized that the giant castle perched upon an even more gargantuan mountain with all of Canterlot and beyond below. I saw a giant maze adroitly formed by well-maintained towering hedges. Numerous waterfalls rolled down the mountains and through and past the palace. In the distance, I spotted ponies traveling about as they waited for the break of dawn to start a fresh day, and even further, I noted several villages here and there across plains with even more majestic mountains in the background. The entire area was cast in the mystical purplish-bluish tinge of night, and just as I recovered my mouth from the ground, I felt two powerful gusts of air from either side of me. My mouth abandoned me yet again, as I watched the scene unfold.
The stars began to fade away, with the Moon slowly stepping down from its throne in the sky. Above, I spotted the two sisters gliding gracefully through the brightening heavens. Both of their horns were glowing, and as they circled around as if dancing, the Sun rose from its slumber. The first of its golden rays struck the land, and the magical transformation of hues from night to day blessed my eyes. I had seen countless sunrises and sunsets back home, but the sight before me knocked away any expectations prepared by the view from the balcony.

Oh my God. Where's my camera when I need it?..Oh right, back inside. Argh..

Only the luckiest of mortals could ever witness this moment.

Too soon, the ephemeral scenery ended, and the sisters returned, alighting onto the balcony with elegance and folding their wings back to their places. I was still in awe when they began chuckling at my demeanor.

“See something you like?” asked Celestia with a mildly suggestive tone.

I snorted, “You wish.”

At this, the white alicorn giggled and playfully replied, “Oh? Is my figure not good enough for you?”

I paused and pretended to think for a moment before shrugging and nonchalantly saying, “Ehh....I’ve seen better.”

“Hmph. And here I thought you were a gentlecolt. Hasn’t your mother ever told you to always compliment mares no matter what?” inquired Celestia with a false-annoyed face, as her wings fluttered slightly.

“Well, she also taught me to be honest,” I returned with a smug grin.

Luna, who had been listening with an disinterested face, didn’t seem to follow our remarks and interjected, “Daniel, what didst thou think of our display? Were we successful in disproving thy previous thoughts?”

I was a bit surprised that the night princess was willing to initiate a conversation with me and replied sincerely, “You two completely wiped away my disbelief, and I want the both of you to know that I am infinitely grateful for what you have shown me today. There is no doubt in my mind that what I have witnessed this day shall forever be engraved within my memories. Thank you.”

Both Luna and Celestia looked pleasantly astonished at my sudden earnestness.

The former, with her tail swaying side to side, seemed ready to prance in place, as she lifted her head proudly and declared, “We are most pleased that thou hast enjoyed our performance!”

Before she could say more, though, three stomachs made their presences known, making their owners twitch involuntarily out of embarrassment.

Tittering, Celestia remarked, “Well, aren’t we all hungry? I believe Daniel and I could use some breakfast, and Sister, some dinner.”

With that, she walked back into the room from the balcony towards the exit and, with her signature warm smile, looked back, and patiently waited for us to follow.

Author's Note:

I may or may not have gone in over-descriptive mode. But what can I say? I let my imagination lead me. :P

Also, same question as the first chapter:
Are Celestia/Luna in character?

Suggestions for improvement? I'd appreciate some constructive criticism any day!

Also, should I keep Daniel at the castle for longer? Let him explore/keep the princesses some more company?
Or should I send him to Ponyville and let him greet the Mane 6? (Either way, he will be going there one day..and when he does, I shall fix tags. )
I'm glad to say that the vague plot in my head has begun to take more of a concrete form.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Err...just realized copying/pasting from google doc to here ruined indentation. Fixed that just now.
Also, tweaked a couple sentences hither and thither. Nothing much.

Major Edit: Read first chapter's author's notes (under same label)
Edit (10/18/2018): All Tia --> Celie, see chapter 1 notes if confused