• Published 14th Apr 2014
  • 1,187 Views, 28 Comments

The Most Beautiful Sound - Caineachu



Your name is Vinyl Scratch, and you've just heard the most beautiful thing in the world...and it just so happens to be the mare playing her cello on the stage in front of you.

  • ...
4
 28
 1,187

The Night Is Still Young

You talked with Octavia for a while after that, about numerous things. You were just finishing up telling her a story from your school days, which you had a lot of.

"So this guy is totally comin' onto me, right? He thinks he's hot shit, and he's leanin' in for a smooch," you mimic the kissy face that the stallion in your tale would be wearing, "so I lean back and give 'im what he's asking for." You turn to the side and toss out a hard right hook. "Bam! Right in his kisser. He goes down for the count, right, and a teacher is walkin' over-"

You're interrupted by a small yawn, which sounded like someone was trying to hide it. You glance over at Octavia, grinning sheepishly. "Sorry, am I boring you?"

She shakes her head, smiling at you even as her eyes look sleepy. "No, I'm simply tired. It has been an exhausting day." She takes another sip her drink, which you figured was tea since she wasn't bouncing off the walls like you wanted to from guzzling your coffee. "But please, don't stop your story, it's just getting good."

You're about to launch back into the tale, but you hesitate. "Well...we can go back to my place, you know. It's close by, we can chill out, listen to some jams. Plus, if you pass out on me there, I won't have to drag you out of here." You offer her a grin before you move out from the booth, tossing a few bits onto the table as a tip.

She smiles back at you, nodding. "Alright. That sounds like a good plan." She finishes her tea before she moves and stands next to you. "Lead the way, Vinyl."

You nod at hear and walk out of the coffee shop with her, sudden chill of the night air making you shiver. You hadn't realized just how much time you two spent talking inside. Or how cold it would be later. You glance over at Octavia, and you see her shivering too. Your heart almost aches seeing it, and now you're wishing you brought a scarf so you could let her wear it.

At least, you wish that until she gets so cold that she moves up against you as you walk with her. Then you're suddenly glad you didn't have a scarf with you. You look down at her, trying to joke about it, wearing a grin on your face. "Someone should've brought a scarf, huh?"

She chuckles at your teasing, hiding her head in your neck as another breeze moves around the two of you. "I was not expecting it to get this cold tonight."

"Me neither." You really try to ignore how close she is to you right now, but it's easier said than done. You can smell faint hints of some kind of perfume, some sort of flowery scent that you couldn't place entirely. Her fur felt extremely soft and warm against yours, and it takes all of your self control not to rub your face all over it.

After a few more minutes of walking with her through the night, you lead her up to your own front door. You dig through your saddlebags for your keys, finding them and pushing them into the lock to unlock the door. As you step inside, you suddenly worry that the house won't be clean enough for her. You turn back to her, watching her look around as she walks inside.

"You know, Vinyl, I did not expect your house to be this large." She steps into your living room before looking back at you. "What do you do for a living, if you do not mind my asking?"

You shrug as you walk past her and into your kitchen. "I told you earlier, I mix music." You open a few cabinets with your magic, looking for something to snack on. "I'm, uh." You suddenly don't want to say what numerous critics and reviews have called you, as flattering as it is. "Well, ponies call me things like 'the newest revolution for the club scene' or whatever." You're trying to play it off as nonchalantly as possible. "It pays the bits, that's for sure."

Your quest for a snack a failure, you trot back out into the living room, where you find Octavia looking at you incredulously. You blink. "What?"

"Vinyl, when you told me you mixed songs, you certainly did not mention that you were a famous pony because of it." Her eyes seem to shine in wonder. "Have you played at concerts? Oh, how many ponies were there?"

You really didn't expect her to be so interested. "Um, yeah, a few times. And at the biggest one there were, uh...a few thousand. Like easily around 25,000 ponies. Probably."

You watch as her jaw drops. "All those ponies...listening to you play live?"

"Well, yeah. Once ponies hear the beats I drop, they can't help but have a good time. That's what my concerts are. Thousands of ponies just lettin' it lose, having a blast." You almost feel embarrassed by the attention she's putting on this, even though you usually like to gloat about it whenever you can. "But it's not everyone's scene, you know? Some ponies can't handle it. It's...well, I can just show you."

You move yourself over to your mixing equipment, motioning her over with a hoof. You plug in two pairs of headphones, offering one to her as you slip the other over your own ears. Before you start the track, you look over at her, offering a grin as you turn and focus on all the dials in front of you and start the song.

It's not as long as your usual work, and it wasn't your best, but it also wasn't completed yet. It also wasn't your most loud and aggressive, by any means, which you figured was a nice starting point. As you adjust a dial, you glance over at her, and out of the corner of your eye you notice her slightly nodding her head along with the beat when it starts to pick up. Your grin from before only grows at this, satisfied that she seems to like it so far.

You crank the volume up a tad, adjusting bass and treble here and there as it plays, your movements sharp with a precision earned from years of talent and experience. You can feel her watching you as you move, but any thoughts including the outside world was lost as soon as you got into the song. Every fiber of your being was focused on your craft, on the numerous bass lines, on the small lead ins, on ever individual piece of the track.

And then, barely past a minute and a half, the song was over, and the sudden silence made you open your eyes and stop moving your hands across your equipment. You take off your headphones and let them rest around your neck as your head turns to look at Octavia. "So what'd you think? I mean, it's not totally done yet or anything, but-"

"I liked it."

"-some really heavy stuff planned for...what?"

She turns to face you, smiling. "I really liked it. It isn't like anything I usually listen to, or anything I was raised with, but it was something I never heard before. I admit, I might have never tried listening to it if you didn't specialize in the genre. But I'm glad I did."

Hearing this kind of praise from the mare you felt so strongly about (although not exactly sure if it's just infatuation or love at this point) sent your heart into a flurry, and you grinned at her, eating it up. But it seemed she wasn't finished yet. "It was amazing to watch you work. Your subtle movements on the dials and knobs, the focus that emanated from you the whole time, the way your eyes lit up every time the bass came in...it was something I want to see every day."

Your heart thudded in your chest at that, and you realized that it almost perfectly echoed your own words towards her at the coffee shop barely over an hour ago. Her eyes locked on yours, and you didn't waste any time getting lost in her gaze, her amethyst eyes shining up at you. You noticed that your throat was dry.

"U-Um. I have a. Bunch of other songs we could listen to."

"Do you?" You're aware that she's moving closer as you talk. Or are you moving closer to her? Maybe it was mutually moving nearer. At this point, you don't care.

You nod slowly, heat assaulting your cheeks. And elsewhere. "I. I have enough for the rest of the night."

"All night?" Is she giving you bedroom eyes right now?

"Yeah-"

And suddenly you feel soft, gentle lips press against your own.

As you feel a jolt through your entire body, you almost melt right there. Your nose immediately picks up the scent of her perfume again, and your tongue gets a small flavor of her in the kiss, a rather delicious flowery taste that matches the smells. You go weak at the knees, and it takes a lot of control to not fall over. This is what you wanted the entire day, ever since you saw her earlier that morning. You never wanted anything more than this moment.

And the night only got better from there.

Author's Note:

Maybe at some point I'll write about the next few hours in a one-shot.

But probably not.